Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2012, 15:12   #241
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

Hey Antz, can you please post images of C2 Variant, I want to see how it will look with black bumpers, no footrest and all. Though I am not an immediate customer but may consider this in future and C2 will be the variant I will be interested in.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:24   #242
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
OK, I checked out a production Quanto today. Just for everyone's benefit, these 2 people sitting at the back are 5ft 10 and 5ft 11 in height. And their knees aren't touching.

Nor did the door foul with their seating when the door was closed.

First impressions are as follows.

2. 1st row has good supportive seats alongwith separate armrests for both driver and passenger.
3. 2nd row is the place to be due to its wiidde bench. A cabbie will easily fit 4 people on the middle bench.
4. The NVH is definitely lower than Petrol Polo (not comparing with Diesel which has even higher N). It is hard to tell if the car is idling when you are outside standing next to it. Definitely the most silent 3cyl car in the country.

Edit: There will soon be a C9 and C10 version of the Quanto. :Wink:
Even i test drove this box i guess it was C4. Yeah, in the thrid row, two people can sit easily. but, If the driver applies the break hard, these two people would collide with the rear wind screen. so they must wear a helmet, if they are occupying these two jump seats.

The car feels like it is in 80 odd kmph, when i look at speedo, it is actually doing 55 -60 KMPH. god knows how it would feel if it is actually doing 80 KMPH.

Copying a joke from skoda's
When the Speedo meter reaches 80 KMPH, what does it show on MID ? "Game Over"

Last edited by bblost : 5th October 2012 at 13:18. Reason: removed embedded picture. Thanks.

Old 1st October 2012, 10:42   #243
jp1
BHPian

I did a short test drive over the weekend with a C8. The vehicle behaved reasonably well in all aspects. I tried over a straight stretch of around 2 to 3 kms and was going at around 80km. In cabin noise was almost nil. Braking seems to be reasonably good. Did not try to do any sudden lane change or anything like that to check the stability. As everyone said, there is lots of space.

I was not happy with the tire size which is 205/65 R 15. I asked the sales guy whether it is possible to upgrade to 215/75R 15 which is Bolero tire size. He is clueless.

Since overall dimension upto 2nd row is same as Xylo, I asked them whether it is possible to fix the Xylo 2nd row seat which is foldable in Quanto, again the sales guy is clueless.

Is the above upgrades practical, any ideas?

Last edited by jp1 : 1st October 2012 at 10:43.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:00   #244
BHPian

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Only TWO emoticons allowed per post. Thanks!

Did a quick test drive of Quanto C8 yesterday:

Overall Experience: +Ve

Very curious and well informed staff from India Garage, St Mark's Road Bangalore who obliged to give me a Quick test drive when I was squeezing out of time on a Sunday Afternoon.

What I liked in Quanto:

Tall Driver Position gives a commendable view
Climbing into the Vehicle (Gives SUV feel)
Very comfortable seats with lots of space in First and the second row with excellent under thigh support

I found the jump seats in the boot were not as bad as portrayed, they are quite ok for 2 persons of 5’7” for point A-B transport(20-30 minute ride) in city but more than that will not be a good choice

However, from a company who has given Products Like Scorpio and XUV500, these could not go un-noticed:

Drive Train: Gear Box feels rubbery (One can live with it)
I found it difficult to engage the reverse gear with driver’s the arm rest in position

Engine: Its feels sluggish till ~1800 RPM then the power delivery is quite linear and sweet. When I was trying to come out of a turning in 2nd gear and the engine was spinning lower then 1800 RPM mark it gave a feed back as if it is a overloaded tractor trying to pull (Not sure if it is due to a abused test drive vehicle)

Steering feels vogue with lot of Over-steer .(One can live with it)

Space : Glove Box is bit small (Compensation comes in form of a Driver side under seat lockable storage, but it did not appeared that it will fit in a laptop)

Here is the most horrible bit of the Test Drive:

No folding seats for middle row and boot space is See what you get . (Fold down /Split the seats of a hatch it will eat much more luggage then Quanto)

I am seriously hoping somebody from Mahindra reading this, will bring this disquiet to concerned authorities for rectification

Specification Comparison:

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-_mg_9645edit.jpg

Karnataka Price List:

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-_mg_9647.jpg

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st October 2012 at 19:02. Reason: Adding the details of the version of the vehicle test driven.
M.R.Boruwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 12:28   #245
BHPian

@Bandhav There is no C2 on display. Will try to click when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I was not happy with the tire size which is 205/65 R 15. I asked the sales guy whether it is possible to upgrade to 215/75R 15 which is Bolero tire size. He is clueless.
I know for a fact that it is possible to use Bolero/Xylo 215/75 R15 tyres. There will be slight reduction in FE since this is an upsize. (Bolero is also available with 185/75 R15)

Quote:
Since overall dimension upto 2nd row is same as Xylo, I asked them whether it is possible to fix the Xylo 2nd row seat which is foldable in Quanto, again the sales guy is clueless.
This should be possible too since the width of both cars is exactly the same. You might need to remove jump seats though.
Old 1st October 2012, 14:43   #246
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

I know for a fact that it is possible to use Bolero/Xylo 215/75 R15 tyres. There will be slight reduction in FE since this is an upsize. (Bolero is also available with 185/75 R15)
I also think it is possible, but when checked with the following site, it says upsizing anything more than 2% circumference is not advisable. And in this case, it is coming to 8%
http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
Old 1st October 2012, 18:21   #247
lsp
BHPian

Just wanted to share my experience. My F-i-L was interested in the Quanto and got a quotation from Koncept Mahindra at Safdarjung enclave, Delhi. He asked me to go and do a test drive and inform him so I went. He has much more driving exp than me and I can still not understand why he wouldn't do it himself.

Let me add upfront that I don't have any SUV driving experience. So please take my personal views with a pinch of salt or dismiss them as a noob's impressions.

We had a C8 for test drive. Vehicle looks ok in flesh. Red/Maroon color looks good. I won't call it an oversized WagonR but then it is not in the scorpio/XUV/safari league either. The looks are in a no man's land.

Climb (yes climb) into the drivers seat and first thing I notice is the high seating position (remember this is my first non-hatch, non-sedan drive). The view of the road is good. Wasn't too difficult to manouver it out of a service lane with parked cars and cars coming from the other direction.

I asked the Sales Rep if we could go to Ashoka hotel (5-6 km round trip max) as the road leading to it is a long, somewhat stright stretch of road with not much traffic. "No Sir we cannnot go so far.". So we head into R K Puram Sec 2. The short open spaces that I got I pushed the pedal and the acceleration/pickup was good. I couldn't go beyond 80kmph at any point of time.

It did feel a bit weird driving it but I believe that was due to my non experience in driving a vehicle of this sort (in my ~ 60-70k driving experience). Turning radius seemed apt for a vehicle of it's size. The brakes did not make me worried. Parking wasnt an issue. AC worked absolutely fine.

Sat in the much discussed third row seats and with my 5ft 9" frame and 90kg well fed body, I didn't feel cramped. Though my head was close to the top and it would have surely hit if the Quanto is driven fast over any speed breaker.

Finally, I asked my F-i-L to consider a sedan as he really don't think his usage warrants a Quanto.

PS: No discounts on offer. Not even Floor mats/Mud flaps/Idol/Steering wheel cover/Perfume. Expected waiting time - 10 weeks and rising.

PPS: I drove the Verito right after the Quanto and it was a hoot to drive. Butter smooth gear shift, good accelelration, more manouverability, good all round visibility. I was in familiar territory and floored the car. 120 was breached in no time with road to spare.

Last edited by lsp : 1st October 2012 at 18:39.
lsp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 18:56   #248
Team-BHP Support

So today I was driving back home and for some reason I took St. Marks Road. And I usually don't. I saw the Quanto pulling out of the EXIT gate of the dealership, right opposite that urinal. So I decided to check the car out. Parked my car in the parking lot, entered the showroom and went straight towards the Quanto.

Here is a little review of the car. It was the top-end variant. I spent about 45 minutes thoroughly examining it and even took it for a very short test drive. Perhaps it's too late (17 pages into the thread now), but what the heck!

Exterior:

Well, it looks like a Xylo and it's no surprise. I'm 6'2" and it's about as tall as me when I stand next to it. But it's incredibly short in terms of length, and a little narrow. The design is appealing though. It isn't bad. Just a little disproportionate. The 15" wheels on 205 section tires look freakishly small on such a tall car. The spare-wheel mounted on the boot looks a little awkward too. The stance is okay. I like the Duster's stance better. But i must say, it looks way better than the Xylo.

Interior:

Ingress and Egress is pretty decent. You climb into the car which is not bad. But I found my feet fouling with the door-edge as I was getting out of the back seat. Ingress for the driver is going to be annoying as the steering often fouled with my knee. Space is decent. Two six-footers - one behind the other - wouldn't be too comfortable on long journeys. There was almost no daylight between my knees and the back of the front seat, after I'd gotten out of the driver's seat adjusted for my driving-position. Headroom is good and you do have a few inches between your head and the ceiling. The front and second row of seats are pretty alright. Reasonably comfortable and not very hard. Under thigh support is not as bad as I thought it would be. The 3rd row of seats were much too uncomfortable and I felt stuffed into the back like a can of sardines when the door was shut. Interior build quality was average. I couldn't get myself into a comfortable driving position and it took me about 10 minutes of adjusting the seat to feel comfortable enough to drive. Also, I found the height-adjustment mechanism very annoying. I had to lift my arse up every time I wanted to sit a little higher. Getting into the driver's seat is going to irritate you especially if you share this car with someone.

Overall Build-Quality:

Just about average. The plastic panel with the Mahindra Logo that sits on the spare-wheel came in my hand when I fiddled with it slightly. Opening and closing the doors didn't give me a very reassuring feeling. The handles felt squeaky to operate. Paint-quality was decent and the foot-step seemed reasonably sturdy. The quality of plastics and rubber weren't different from other Mahindra products.

The Drive: (Engine, transmission, steering, braking, ride, handling)

You get a good view of the road in front of you. The seating position is quite high. The windows are huge and you almost feel like you're sitting in a B7R Volvo bus.

It took me a little while to adjust my seat, but once I was reasonably comfortable, I slotted the gear into first and let go of the clutch. The gearbox felt rubbery and the shift-quality wasn't positive. It's awkwardly positioned as well - placed little ahead. And the stick is angled oddly. The driver's arm-rest allows you to keep your elbow and on it while shifting gears. But it feels very rudimentary.

The steering was okay. It felt reasonably light but doesn't offer much feedback. The clutch is a little hard but bites fairly early and turbo lag, although evident, is quite manageable. There was a lot of engine knocking at lower speeds in 2nd gear. Giving it the boot, it went ahead gradually albeit not urgently. It's reasonably responsive. Once you get the engine to spin at 1.7k RPM it starts picking up some speed. The weight of the car is immediately apparent. You actually feel its heaviness.

The brakes were spongy and lacked feel. I felt 20%-30% play before actual bite. Nose dive was evident too - under moderate braking.

The ride was okay. Couldn't get to sample it over rough terrain but it seemed to handle the speed-breakers well, although I must say you get thrown up a bit and then come crashing down when you climb the speed-breaker violently. The handling, well I wouldn't try that in a car that's this tall to be brutally honest. I took the bend towards Lavelle Road slightly faster than I usually do and there was considerable body-roll, pitch and yaw.

I drove back into the dealership and the parking sensors came in handy. When I turned the key to switch it off, the whole thing shuddered and then switched off. The gear-stick shook violently and every part of the interior vibrated for a second before a state of calmness came over it. Ergh.

I then tried unlocking the seat-belt but alas, I couldn't. The Driver's arm-rest was in the way. Ergonomically, this car feels like the Xylo. It's absolute ergonomic disaster when you compare it to cars in the same segment / genre if you will - like the Duster, EcoSport (presumably) It doesn't give you the best driving position. The steering-pedals-gearbox don't fall into position like a normal sedan. So if you're used to driving a sedan / hatch (and the Quanto is aimed at such customers) it's going to take some getting used to.

Verdict:

All in all, it isn't a very impressive car but the price-tag makes it very attractive. Under 9.5 lakhs OTR for a car that's got 5+2 seats and is this short in length makes the Average Joe stand up and take notice. On paper, it sounds like a good buy. Perhaps it's worth checking it out to see if it does suit your needs.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd October 2012 at 02:09. Reason: paraphrasing + typo + adding more info
suhaas307 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 18:56   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Anybody knows what's the kind of booking number received so far? Also anyone who has booked it as recently as yesterday/today, what's the waiting period quoted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
According to the dealerships of Delhi, they have received around 3.5-4000 bookings and the waiting period is 3 weeks to 1 month.
The dealers are overstating the numbers. (I assume that they gave you the numbers just for Delhi area and that is why I say they are overstating. If those numbers are for the whole country, they were giving the right guidance.)

According to official quote, M&M has received 3200 booking for Quanto from across the country. Which IMO is average to slightly below average. I expected more numbers.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...on_763773.html
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 00:25   #250
BHPian

Saw a Quanto driving in front of me today.

OMG, it looks like a Container on wheels! 'Boxy' would be an understatement. Besides, with such a narrow wheel base, and cycle-thin tires, it's just too tall. I think there should be a penalty for creating such ugly shapes!!!
Old 2nd October 2012, 03:58   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer

The dealers are overstating the numbers. (I assume that they gave you the numbers just for Delhi area and that is why I say they are overstating. If those numbers are for the whole country, they were giving the right guidance.)

According to official quote, M&M has received 3200 booking for Quanto from across the country. Which IMO is average to slightly below average. I expected more numbers.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...on_763773.html
The figure which the dealerships gave me was for the whole country and well I would say 3200 for a car at that price and seeing the way it was hyped the car has got below average bookings. Cars in these segments already get pre-bookings of around 2500 so that means 700 more units is disappointing. Well, we have to wait till November to see if the people accepted this car or not and I got to know one more thing from the dealers. The fleet owners are showing a lot of interest in this car and are willing to exchange their old Indigo for this car due to its compact size and 7 seats on offer.
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:16   #252
Senior - BHPian

Most of the people are comparing it to a WAGON-R. May be MAHINDRA had those Customers in mind when designing the QUANTO. People who have a WAGON-R and want to move up, going by the sales figures for the WAGON-R, that's quite a number

Got the QUANTO next to Big Brother, they are both of the same height!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-image1920942433.jpg  

TheARUN is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:56   #253
BHPian

for those who have missed the update, as per the post of GTO (September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis) the official review will be coming in a weeks time!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2921189
naren_L is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:47   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
....According to official quote, M&M has received 3200 booking for Quanto from across the country. Which IMO is average to slightly below average. I expected more numbers...
I have a silly doubt now! I see from the above post that a total of 3200 bookings is what Mahindra has received so far. From the Sept 2012 sales thread, I see a 1700 odd units have been dispatched already. So that means, only another ~1700 units are pending booking [considering a max 200 TD vehicles has been sent all over India] and the max waiting period should be 1 month or less!

Does this also mean that Quanto will be available off-the shelf from November / December time frame?! If the car hasn't received a whole lot of bookings so far [on account of the festive season], I don't think we will see any heavy booking numbers to pop up in the coming months too!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd October 2012 at 00:50.
Old 4th October 2012, 00:53   #255
BHPian

Quote:
I also think it is possible, but when checked with the following site, it says upsizing anything more than 2% circumference is not advisable. And in this case, it is coming to 8%
http://www.tyrestore.in/upsizing.htm
On the Quanto mCR100 with Xylo tyres, the speedo and odo will under-read by about 8.5% and the FE will reduce to somewhere close to ~15kmpl (combined) on the under-reading odo. So thats actual FE somewhere in the region of 16-16.2 kmpl. These tyres will also come as a factory option in due course with the corrected speedo and odo reads.

In other news, M&M is also working on a 6 Speed A/T version of the Quanto (or Automatic Manual Transmission (AMT) as those guys prefer to call it). Obviously, it is *not* a regular torque converter Automatic. It has something called as a semi-slave clutch cylinder and I know not what that is or how that works but what I am told is that it has good performance, it has a tiptronic mode and it has better FE than MT Quanto (ARAI FE will come close to 18.3kmpl compared to 17.3 for MT Quanto). I assume it is something similar to the Dual Clutch ATs. If it does come out, Quanto will be the cheapest Diesel AT car in India (USP anyone?).

For those who can live with the shape but need more horses, there is also a 2.2 MHawk version of the Quanto which also has Xylo spec 215/75 R15 tyres being tested both for domestic as well as export launch.

I will keep updating here as and when I get more insider news.

Cheers!

Last edited by antz.bin : 4th October 2012 at 01:22.
antz.bin is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks