Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 22:28   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

Horrendously ugly! Can't imagine this is from the house of Scorpio / XUV5OO. Xylo was ugly to start with. This one even surpassed Xylo. And with Ford Ecosport around the corner, any one who has seen Ecosport pics won't even look at it.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 22:30   #62
BHPian

Pricing is decent for this so called SUV. In my opinion this Quanto is actually "Simply ugly Vehicle". I can't understand what were the designers thinking of while making this contraption. If xylo was bad, Mahindra has managed to go one step ahead. The Xylo itself is so bad in terms of handling, I am sure this is going to be like a ride in "Wonderla" tossing people from side to side. God bless the passengers. Yet I guess there will be a lot semi urban consumers who will end up buying this.

But still Kudos to Mahindra to think of something like this and take it to the Duster. They are very proactive, fast and decisive in their moves. Tata needs to learn a lot from Mahindra
nurni76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 22:41   #63
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet@bulbule View Post
Got an excellent chance to visit a Mahindra dealer @ Hyderabad - which I won't name due to an explicit request from the staff. Got to see the car in flesh and in all its glory. All the pictures on the forum including the one I have posted, don't do justice to its size. The car looks imposing to say the least. The quality of the plastics, the interiors, the front and middle leg room are an exact match with its bigger sibling - the XYLO. Although the one thing I did notice was the lightness of its doors (except for the rear one). The door grab handles and the door itself wouldn't inspire confidence from safety & quality point of view. Linea users wouldn't even board the car if they open it up! The OEM ICE is a good unit with average sound quality - I am sure some of the folks would immediately upgrade it as soon as they drive out of the showroom!

All in all, Mahindra has given exactly what many of us were looking for. Despite all their shortcomings, they are the only true customer centric manufacturers -XUV proved it and Quanto cements that belief to a large extent. The car is going to be my first one (Yes the dealer has promised me the first car delivery in Hyderabad!) and I must say that no other manufacturer has got it on target like the Mahindra's have. I feel the car will set the sales chart on fire and is surely going to give a tough fight (if not a drubbing) to the incumbent Ertiga & Duster, for its sheer value for money proposition.

The car reminds me of a TATA liner - More car per car, it definitely seems true in the Quanto's case!

Enjoy the pics! (and Apologies for the bad camera quality)
Congrats on your potential buy mate! This is one very practical alternative to a hatchback! And on the looks front, I am sure this design will grow on you over a period of time!

We Indians always let our mind rule our heart, otherwise imagine a model like the Dzire (old and new!) dare command a waiting period of more than 6 months!!
Old 20th September 2012, 22:48   #64
BHPian

Really, Mahindra managed to go one step ahead than what they achieved in designing Xylo. This could have been smarter alternative for Hatchback if rear end was made little less ugly. But Indian buyers have faith in Mahindra. I won't be surprized to see 2500-3000/month volumes for this car. Waiting for detailed GTO styled review on this.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:27   #65
BHPian

Frankly I was not expecting anything great in the launch of Quanto, though the pricing has been really good for this. I am somehow linking the looks of this car to the RIO except for the front, all other angles look similar. Not sure if its only me.

Last edited by kailashnj : 20th September 2012 at 23:29.
kailashnj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 23:36   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Huge let down! I did expect some nice pricing for this car which could really shake the segment, but don't think it's going to be! I expected the price of C2 to be set max at 5.49L ex showroom. Ideally they should have come with a stunning introductory price & then hiked it based on the demand. Now for close to 6L ex showroom, you get a bare basic car with no body colored bumpers & RVMs & grills, power windows etc, I cant digest it well!

And I see people comparing this with Duster & Ertiga and claims (hopes) this will trash those because of the price advantage! Well, we all know how VFM Xylo is compared to Innova and we still know what's the sales numbers of these 2 cars. If people prefer Innova because of the brand & comfort it gives inspite of the huge premium, would not the same be applicable to Ertiga as well? I am afraid Quanto will meet the same fate as Xylo. Truly disappointing if it happens!

As a bhpian reflects, an overconfident product. If the first reports are anything to go by [ride, handling, FE, 0-100 timing], I don't think this car has anything but GC to help it!

If it were me, I would have selected the below immediate competitor cars based on my requirement.

For a 5 seater "SUV", I would pick the Duster which offers tremendous ride quality, better FE & a reliable engine.

For a 7 seater, I would pick the Ertiga for ride & handling, better FE, better space/comfort for 6th & 7th people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Here is a picture comparison. All images from their respective websites. Scaled by their dimensions and lined out.....
Attachment 989493
Beautiful! Thanks a lot for the pic!

Edit::

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet@bulbule View Post
...The car is going to be my first one (Yes the dealer has promised me the first car delivery in Hyderabad!) ...

Enjoy the pics! (and Apologies for the bad camera quality)
Thanks for the pics. Seems you have already booked the car. Just to clarify, did you get a TD as well?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th September 2012 at 23:43. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 23:47   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The weight is almost as much as an Innova, but Innova is much larger. Not good. Power and torque, again in range of Innova, which might not be a good thing. Innova suffers after 100 due to excessive noise from engine. This one might face similar problems.

After XUV, this seems to be an overconfident product. A nice driving experience is what this car might not be in a position to offer.

Rather than this, Mahindra should have gone in with the concept of city SUV, just like the Duster. The weight is just too much for a car which is approximately as large as Swift. Handling, atlesat as reported by ACI, is not good.

Times have moved a lot ahead in hatch and sedan segment and this is reflected in the products. At the same time, times have not changed in large people mover segment, we have overprice Innova, relatively VFM Xylo. Thats it. Mahinda should have filled in the gap with another product which complements Xylo. Or rather, a new Xylo based on XUV, and this would have given a real competition where Mahindra is its best. But this product, well it really looks like a shortcut.

Neither does this Quanto have proper compact 7 seater arrangement like Ertiga, nor does it fit as a small SUV like Duster.

EDIT:
A side by side image of Xylo and Quanto would help understand if Quanto is actually scaled down or not.
Mate, Ertiga is also a 'me too' 7 seater. I have sat in one and let me tell you, the space inside is pathetic! Either you sit in a cramped middle row or a really cramped, useless third row.

The Quanto at least saves some face in the looks department by not screaming as a proper MUV, which the Ertiga does and feels a lot suited for a buyer who is in his early 40s!!
Old 20th September 2012, 23:48   #68
BHPian

Very frankly, since we have been watching this space for quite sometime having seen the test mules pics, not much was expected as far as looks department go. But very seriously, I was hoping if not the looks the product would come out great on specs at least what with length reduction and lot more opportunity to reduce the flab, but alas it fails to surprise even spec-sheet wise.

Think of it
a) It doesn't look anything like SUV (sub4 or no sub4)
b) It doesn't look like any of the Hatches
c) It doesn't have the practicality or driving smoothness of cars
d) It doesn't have the butch character of SUV, either with the performance or with the looks (1.5L for 1650 Kg well...less say the better)
e) It just looks like another serious attempt to benefit from Government's Excise Duty policy for Over and Sub 4 Mt.

Clearly the 1.5L Cylinder was plonked in to get the Excise Duty reduction (Below 1.5 L Diesel Engine and below sub 4 M have 12% excise duty).

The worst thing that i am piqued at is the weight portion of , seriously 1650 Kg for a Hatch length car, which doesn't even look like a car. Well, somethings has seriously being wrongly taught to today's generation of Mechanical Engineering students...or mebbe its just M&M engineers.

In fact its hard for me to think what set of customer this vehicle is targeting at with not so get looks, Mileage or performance. An i20/swift/Figo customer is not going to buy it. A xylo/duster/Ertiga customer wont touch it since it simply lacks the space for more passengers. Tier-II city folks, who really are the guys looking for higher Ground Clearances, will be more than happy to buy a Bolero Instead which gives more space and raw power.

Don't think this vehicle can create a segment of its own.... so in a way M&M has wasted a lot of money on engineering and launch just to take advantage out of government excise policies. Bravo!!!! Lesson Learnt, Play on strength and dont try to imitate Tata and Maruti!!!! Mahindra's brand identity is for big huge SUVs and Jeeps at affordable prices and not something like this which can only become nightmare for branding managers and marketeers!!!!

Nevertheless, I am planning to see it in flesh this weekend and Hoping it impresses and does justice to good name of M&M.

Awaiting for Team-BHP comparison with rest of the playfield. Lets just for the sake of comparison make it compare only with Mini-SUVs since this is what Quanto is targetted at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Mate, Ertiga is also a 'me too' 7 seater. I have sat in one and let me tell you, the space inside is pathetic! Either you sit in a cramped middle row or a really cramped, useless third row.

The Quanto at least saves some face in the looks department by not screaming as a proper MUV, which the Ertiga does and feels a lot suited for a buyer who is in his early 40s!!
First thing, Ertiga is a not a below 4 metre vehicle, just to save on excise duty. Its more than 4.2 Metre in length and hence leave more space in the last row seats than Quanto.
Second, Ertiga might be only truly a 5 seater but buddy for a family which has 2 parents and 2 kids it makes perfect sense. You can always make Kids and even teenagers sit in Last row seats...which atleast to me can't be done in Quanto!!!! Anyone who has experienced last row seats of Ertiga will tell you.. its good enough cosy seats for two 5 ft 6'' guys.

Last edited by anu21v : 21st September 2012 at 00:06.
anu21v is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 23:58   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Exterior:
...Only 2 parking sensors - might be asking for trouble...
Makes me wonder, the parking sensors are on the body, while the spare wheel protrudes out of the body. Doesn't this throw off the accuracy of the parking sensors? Eg. suppose I was reverse parking against a wall, thus the spare wheel might hit the wall while the parking sensors still tells me that there is safe distance..
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 00:09   #70
BANNED

The Xylo and Quanto: both looks over heightened, Xylo looks over-elongated, and Quanto looks extra shortened. I still can't digest the looks of both these vehicles.

And see how proportionate Ertiga is,compared to the above 2!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-x1.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-e1.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st September 2012 at 00:16.
romeomidhun is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 00:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Frankly I was not expecting anything great in the launch of Quanto, though the pricing has been really good for this. I am somehow linking the looks of this car to the RIO except for the front, all other angles look similar. Not sure if its only me.
+1 to that.
I have done some cut paste thing in the photo showing the two.
I strongly feel Rio looks far better and proportionate from the front and rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-getimage.jpeg  

Last edited by carwatcher : 21st September 2012 at 00:15.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 00:22   #72
BHPian

To be honest, this product is as bad as i had expected it to be. No surprises in that.

I feel, Maruti spoiled Mahindra's party by releasing ertiga just a few months before quanto. In the absence of a product like Ertiga, quanto would have looked much better in terms of value for money, space to carry 7 people etc etc. But now the comparison with ertiga is imminent and mahindra has lost many prospective buyers (like me) who were looking for an occassional 7 seater vehicle.

Slight off topic here: Even scorpio is facing the heat now a days. The people who wanted a better SUV in that price range are going for duster while those who wanted a 7 seater (in that price range) are going for Ertiga. Duster and Ertiga are better products in their own segments and M&M has lot of catching up to do.

I hope, M&M comes up with modern products in future, in this below 10L category. After looking at XUV, i feel M&M can do it and i hope they will.
Old 21st September 2012, 00:52   #73
BHPian

Though pricing is good, i am not very excited with this product launch. It doesnt look that great and the design will age prematurely. Expect face-lift shortly.

The spare wheel placement is horrible and wheel cover design is way too loud. The spare wheel placement reminds me of M800 and Indicas from Weird and Whacky mod thread.
Ertiga looks better vfm and more balanced and correctly placed product.
Old 21st September 2012, 01:13   #74
Senior - BHPian

If Beauty contests,Ride and Handling brought sales,then Linea's and Punto's should have been topping the sales charts.
Reality is far from it,anything that is practical,priced well,has a diesel engine,and comes with a M logo,either Maruti or Mahindra,will sell.

Though Xylo itself is not selling much,but it still manages to sell around 2K units per month,i can forsee this selling in decent numbers,not sure if it will affect Duster's or Ertiga's numbers.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 21st September 2012 at 01:20.
akshay4587 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 01:30   #75
BHPian

We indians can compromise on looks but not on money to paid. Prime example is WagonR. The shape and design of WagonR is horrible but still it sells in huge numbers.

I think M&M has got the pricing right for this ugly car and it is going to sell in decent numbers.

Personally if you ask I will go with Duster solely for the excellent handling and suspension as told by many owners and reviewers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks