Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 17:42   #106
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

Just curious to know one thing, Hoping someone can clarify. The overall length of the car is just under the 4.0 M (3985 mm). I wanted to know whether this OAL is including the spare wheel mounted on rear door or without it? can someone answer this question.

If it is without mounting that 5th wheel on door, then most likely even Ford Ecosport would surely qualify for for a sub 4 m category
Old 21st September 2012, 17:43   #107
BHPian

my comments are purely on the basis of what i've seen and read of the Quanto in the public domain. I have not seen/driven the vehicle.

my first impression is that M&M has jumped at the opportunity to save money with the excise laws. Having said that i like the imposing figure of the Quanto, an almost front angling crouch.

The rear wheel had to be put on the door else it would have looked very bare and weird. it gives that little bit of SUV feel by having the wheel mounted

The engine specs look impressive with close to 100 bhp churning out of 1.5 litre engine.

While people seem to be loving the pricing, im not so gung-ho about the same. the base model which in delhi on road will cost 6+ lakhs wont even give me power windows !! are you joking ? no body colored bumpers, door handles or grill. Same with the C4 model (mid model) which in delhi on road will be close to 7 lakhs doesnt offer me body colored door handles/abs/airbags nothing

Only the top end variant C8 has ABS and Airbags to the two basics of car safety in this day and age and that will be costing 8 lakhs on road for a fairly small "suv" (if you can call it that). At 8.3 on road why not get the scorpio or a safari and get take the whole neighborhood for a joy ride?

why do manufacturers feel that only the top end models should have safety features. its nonsense giving abs but no airbags in the C6

looking forward to seeing the Quanto in flesh over the weekend and a test drive
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 17:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Just curious to know one thing, Hoping someone can clarify. The overall length of the car is just under the 4.0 M (3985 mm). I wanted to know whether this OAL is including the spare wheel mounted on rear door or without it? can someone answer this question.

If it is without mounting that 5th wheel on door, then most likely even Ford Ecosport would surely qualify for for a sub 4 m category
Yes, Indeed it's 3985mm without the spare wheel.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 21st September 2012, 17:55   #109
BHPian

I would rather forget about the jump seats and treat this as a spacious 5-seater. That along with good luggage space, ample ground clearance, rugged build and decent cruising abilities, I think its not that bad as its made out to be. Its all about practicality.

That said, the same practical appeal has met with only moderate success in the case of Xylo, so I guess the same would repeat here. This would neither be a run away success nor would be a huge failure. It would have a niche for itself.
Old 21st September 2012, 18:20   #110
BHPian

Why Mahindra and TATA are not able to build vehicles with lower center of gravity? Why do all their vehicles have interior floor always well above their chassis height? Look at the Duster and the Yeti. Even the Ford Endy has a well settled in stance that gives confidence. Is it lack of engineering?
Old 21st September 2012, 20:04   #111
BHPian

Is Quanto (or Xylo for that matter) an SUV - or is it MUV rather? (It's mentioned as SUV in the video as well as in the thread.)
Old 21st September 2012, 21:23   #112
BHPian

Is there a possibility that mahindra kept the weight at 1600 + Kg ;s to control body roll. I think they did added some weight in xylo after too many toppled xylo;s lined up at A S S for accidental repair .

I could be wrong here, Hence putting up the question to knowledgeable members .
Old 21st September 2012, 21:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

I honestly did not like the Quanto. It looks boxy to me. and somehow the rear looks to plain jane.

The base model might be a replacement for indicas and vistas probably. The only bargain i see is 7 seats @ around 6.6 lacs on road. The Taxi market might bite it.

I personally like the eco-sport more than the quanto (willing to sacrifice the jump seats).
Old 21st September 2012, 22:20   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Is there a possibility that mahindra kept the weight at 1600 + Kg ;s to control body roll. I think they did added some weight in xylo after too many toppled xylo;s lined up at A S S for accidental repair . I could be wrong here, Hence putting up the question to knowledgeable members .
Not intentionally, I think. The body parts (the portion behind C-pillar) which cut for shortening the car don't weight too much, IMO. Please note that Swift and DZire weighs almost the same!

I wonder how good looking the Quanto would have been, if the height is reduced like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-q2.jpg  

Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs-q21.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st September 2012 at 22:30.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:41   #115
BHPian

What a waste of a car

I mean, seriously, what was Mahindra thinking? I am trying hard to see if there is anything good about this car. Doesnt look good, third row is a joke, neither can be counted as an SUV nor a MUV and going by ACI review, doesnt have enough power, considerable body roll, vertical movement (rough ride), 3-pot harshness and what not. More over which segment is this car targeting? Neither personal users nor fleet operators will find this a fit.

Really, some folks at Mahindra think they can sell something just because its cheap. They should have learnt otherwise after the success of XUV.
Old 21st September 2012, 22:54   #116
Senior - BHPian

looking at the test drive report of autocar india, well second time around with their mini xylo, the Quanto mahindra yet missed out on performance,stability and their suspention setup, amount of body roll,bouncyness continues.A very perfect segment with optional jump seats else 5 passengers with ample luggage space,better GC still they failed to give a proper ride quality, hope to see this happening in upcoming Fords new car.Still as someone said this car would be in its own niche neither fail nor runaway success.
Old 21st September 2012, 23:08   #117
BHPian

I took the Quanto out for a short test drive today. For a 3 pot diesel, the engine seemed refined and the cabin was surprisingly quiet. Drives reasonably OK for city runs, but is likely to be a bore on highways. The plastics and interiors are par for the price point, and the leg room in the middle bench is very good (the angle of the backrest is a bit suspect though). The jump seats are a joke, and might actually be quite limiting on luggage space especially considering the fact that the mid row does not fold. The car is eminently ugly, but looks a lot better in person compared to the pictures. Mahindra seems to have got the pricing right here - my guess is that we will see a lot of the lower and the mid variants on the road soon.
xoom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:23   #118
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v

The sub-4m length is without the spare wheel. I believe the length (for taxation purposes, at least) is calculated from bumper to bumper. Mahindra took advantage of this and mounted the spare on the tailgate.

The EcoSport would also follow the same tactic to get itself under the 4m mark. I'm not complaining, as this would (hopefully) translate into a better price for buyers.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:34   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
The sub-4m length is without the spare wheel. I believe the length (for taxation purposes, at least) is calculated from bumper to bumper. Mahindra took advantage of this and mounted the spare on the tailgate.

The EcoSport would also follow the same tactic to get itself under the 4m mark. I'm not complaining, as this would (hopefully) translate into a better price for buyers.
Completely agree but due to this the last row's seats have become seriously cramped and the price with which the Quanto has been launched doesn't really justify it. I mean overall the package is not at all appealing. Weak performance, according to reviews comfort level low. Quality is just okayish so why will the person buy it! Instead there are so many good hatches available at this price point like Punto and i20!
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 05:55   #120
Senior - BHPian

On hindsight, I think MAHINDRA should have done away with the jump seats, the middle row backrest not being placed at a good angle is seriously going to affect comfort on the long drives
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks