Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:31   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

Checked here at my place,the vehicle is still not here.Its expected this week sometime so planning for a TD then.They are offering TD on weekdays and i'm seldom free on weekdays during working hours,I guess i'll have to take out time or arm twist them politely to get me a TD on Sunday.
I have read so many varied comments regarding this vehicle ranging from ugly to great.I guess it all depends on the way we look at it.For Tier2/3 cities,it might do good as the condition of roads is actually pathetic and people will go after it as its small,with better ground clearance and its a Mahindra.The city travel will be comfortable.As far as high speed stability is concerned,i feel other than the more informed guys(like TBHPians and others),most of the people are not at all concerned about it.How many times have u seen a Scorpio doing insane speeds,cutting across vehicles,and swaying left and right?Here,i see all the so called SUVs(Bolero/Scorpio/Safari etc) being driven by a chauffeur and not the owner himself so i see all stupid stunts by them.It might not appeal to a seasoned buyer for self use but how many are like that?People buy such vehicles for status symbol and what not.At the end,it'll boil down to VFM thing.If someone amongst us is ready to spend 7.36L ex-showroom,we can very well increase our cap for maybe a much better product.Adding all the gizmos will not help till the time the product is actually worthy.A car/vehicle's main job is safe transportation,having a bluetooth connectivity with your phone or 3rd row charger is not that important but having a stable vehicle is a must.
Moderators,when are we going to have a TeamBHP review.Please post a link of the review on this thread when its done.Thanks

PS. I'm neither bashing this product,nor praising it.Its just my 2 paise.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 23rd September 2012 at 08:42.
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:53   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quanto test drive

9.22 lacs OTR is a bit steep for the Quanto. As most have mentioned on this thread, this product would have seemed good had it been a value proposition & this should have been positioned in line with the diesel hatches so as to give a choice apart to the consumers of tat segment.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 23rd September 2012 at 09:54.
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:21   #153
BHPian

If you look at the side profile of this car, just stare at it for a couple of minutes, you'll realise that the car is not at rest. By this I mean that the car looks "strained", its not hugging the road, its not standing upright smartly. It looks like one of those mare who has been stuffed in the back of a lorry truck for transportation. Its uncomfortable. And this stance itself tells me that the ride would not be good as well.
Check pic here: http://www.autocarindia.com/Gallery/...o-gallery.aspx
Old 23rd September 2012, 12:55   #154
Senior - BHPian

Ok what I gather from this multitude of posts and the ACI road test is as follows:
1) A yawn inducing 17.xxx seconds for 0-100. Although the world doesnt revolve around 0-100 timing, 18 seconds is quite poky slow!!
2) Utter lack of space in the jump seats. Infact I wonder how it was legally allowed. An adult in the jump seat would be cramped by the rear door. Incase of a rear shunt, the jump seaters are sure to die!!!
3) Boring griege interiors. Why does the interior of a small car have to be a workman like grey? Quanto would always look better in flashy colors and interiors. Try Mini Cooper.
4) Huge body roll!!! Come on Mahindra! No one wants to throw up their food on every corner. What stopped you in making a Mini XUV?
5) ACI mentioned how it had to press hard on the accelerator to get to any speed. So highway maneuvers will be painful.
6) Why charge between 6-8 lacs for a half baked effort? Who in their right mind will give up good hatchbacks like the Polo/Jazz/I20 and take this thing?
apachelongbow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 13:53   #155
Senior - BHPian

I can only say that it is advertised as 5+2 seater on the Quanto website.
If anyone believes that its possible to provide 3 comfortable rows in a sub-4 meter car, then I think all the manufacturer's are having their basics wrong thats why till date they are not offering one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
The question is if MnM advertises this as a 7-seater then it should be a 7-seater no strings attached.
But still you didn't press the thanks button. Maybe you were typing with the mobile. Happens with all of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
Best comment i've read in this site in a long time. I fully concur.
Exactly my thoughts.
I would like to be informed by some fellow BHPian as to how the safety mechanism for the rear works when the vehicle is rear-ended. Innova, Ertiga, Scorpio, and now Storme has no spare-wheel and 3rd row passengers are seriously close to the rear glass. At the same time does the spare wheel is a boon or bane in such a situation. Quanto, Endeavour, Safari have them.
One more thing to be noted that as Fiat cars are praised for being heavy and safe then has MnM used the extra weight in making the Quanto doors and panels strong or are they light.
One more pattern I can see is that MnM is targetting Tier-II customers with Quanto so that makes me believe that mini-XUV is on its way for Tier-I customers in maybe 2-3 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Infact I wonder how it was legally allowed. An adult in the jump seat would be cramped by the rear door. Incase of a rear shunt, the jump seaters are sure to die!!!
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:54   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Mahindra knows better than you or me about the customers. They would have done enough survey before launching this. It doesn't matter weather you, me or any enthusiasts buy this. Ultimately no enthusiasts would buy this no matter how good it is. Auto manufacturers are here to make money and not to fulfill anyone's dream.
All of us can sit and rant, and while Mahindra makes Money.
I think Mahindra know more about way to bank from customers' pockets, rather than what is good for the customers.

This is apparent when they fail to introduce any reliable safety feature in a product where the design, equipments' & dies' depreciation has been charged to full & now it is nothing more than a cash cow for the company (refer Bolero). They have failed to improved the ride & handling & seating comfort of & make safer their leading product, due to which they are unable to launch it in most developed markets (refer Scorpio). Their flagship product is good, but with 3-stars safety rating do you think they would be sell much outside India, despite the body shell being better than what is available in India.

... & this is not just restricted to Mahindra, but, almost to all auto manufacturers here. Otherwise, products like Sumo, Safari, M800, Tavera, etc would been in history books by now.

It is in India where we (customers) are content with what we get in one size bigger vehicle (so that it adds to pride & reputation), rather than keeping the requirements simple & realistic. This unfortunately leads to such products thriving in India, which would only sell well in war torn African country at most.
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:03   #157
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
On hindsight, I think MAHINDRA should have done away with the jump seats
They couldn't. One reason for the Quanto being a 7 seater is that they have to meet lesser emission norms (rules are more stringent for regular 5 seater vehicles). That's the reason why the Thar also has long sideways-facing benches at the rear.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:19   #158
Senior - BHPian

^^^ That adds to their consumer centrism as few have pointed out.

I fear this engine may not any life beyond the BS6 emission norms.
Old 23rd September 2012, 16:45   #159
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They couldn't. One reason for the Quanto being a 7 seater is that they have to meet lesser emission norms (rules are more stringent for regular 5 seater vehicles). That's the reason why the Thar also has long sideways-facing benches at the rear.
Thanks for pointing this part out. I was always curious to know if 7-seaters have some kind of tax or regulation benefit due to which Mahindra seems intent to add as many seats as possible on vehicles, even if its unnecessary.

BTW, isn't the mHawk derived engine supposed to be one of the cleanest engines from Mahindra stable ? Surely it'd be able to meet lesser emission norms ?
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:12   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I can only say that it is advertised as 5+2 seater on the Quanto website.
If anyone believes that its possible to provide 3 comfortable rows in a sub-4 meter car, then I think all the manufacturer's are having their basics wrong thats why till date they are not offering one.
Ever heard of these cars?

Anyways, the point was, there could be better packaging for a ~4 meter vehicle than what M&M managed. Also if you feel these are too crude, here is another one which is just 4.12 meters long.

Just XUVfy the boot, plonk the Altis Diesel motor and Voilą! There you have it, a sub 4 meter *small car* MUV!!

Edit: Wouldn't using rally / Nano front type seats on compact MUVs release more space for human beings/luggage/engine?

Last edited by antz.bin : 23rd September 2012 at 17:18.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Ever heard of these cars?
OT
I was expecting that.
If Omni meets your criteria of Safe as well as comfortable, then I must say that MnM has done a great job.
I guess you have noticed the middle row of Omni-E (8 seater) that is having backrest set at 90 degrees for unmatched comfort.
Tata Venture is closest perfect vehicle with reasonable price and Diesel mill but not even mentioned once on this thread. (even by you).
We can discuss this topic till infinity without any success but only for the sake of arguing.
If things were so easy then why 16 lac rupee Aria and XUV are having 3rd rows suitable only for teenagers. I hope you might have seen Outlander's jump seats too which are also ridiculous to say the least.
I have mentioned on various other threads that IMHO the customers are to blame more than manufacturers for sub-standard products. If things were so straight forward then who is stopping Tata to launch Storme and Ford to EcoSport.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:25   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON

i wonder what is wrong with the manufacturers and even still the buyer.....?
You have answered your question yourself. Mahindra is making these because buyers are still there.
Not that the buyers are fools. They have a need and If Quantos is satisfying that need that's all they need.

I can sense your frustration about how the two Indian companies who have more cash than most other Indian auto companies , but still think They are doing a great job.
In fact in anything Tata is the laggard here. Mahindra has managed to position itself much better in terms of reliability. Who cares looks ? First lets talk of reliability to take someone from point a to b. then comes everything else.
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:32   #163
BHPian

did a TD of C6 today

my observations.

1. there is significant body roll as expected from such a top heavy design.

2. the engine feels strained beyond 3500 rpm.

3. features are good for the price.

4. imprecise steering.will need getting used to.

5. rocky beige color looks good. comes in c6 and c8 only

6. spare cover is white painted in c2-c6.c8 gets silver painted. an eyesore imho.

7. there is vibration even at idle.

8. vibration from the engine is felt in the cabin while we accelerate.

9. took it upto an rpm of 4k it was feeling strained.

10. engine could feel strained above 100kmph. though didnt get a chance to take it above 60.

11. tried cornering at 50 the car felt nervous.

12. cabin is airy and spacoius.

13. 3 people can sit comfortably sit on the 2nd row.the padding isnt sufficient enough for comfort.longdrives could be uncomfortable best place in the car is driver and codriver seat.

14. braking is ok.can't be called great.

15.dead pedal could interfere if you wear wide footwear.

16. jump seat is good enough for kids upto 8 years i think. but am not sure if i would want to risk seating my kid there.feels unsafe.

17. gear shift is not great.too notchy for my expectation.i drive an ikon.

18. pitching was almost nil which you normally feel in SUVs

19.music system output is below par.could be due to the large cabin.4 speakers and 2 tweeters are provided.

OTR CHENNAI prices

c2 - 698591
c4 - 760413
c6 - 820069
c8 - 879482

Last edited by ad75 : 23rd September 2012 at 18:38.
ad75 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 18:59   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
2. the engine feels strained beyond 3500 rpm.
3. features are good for the price.
4. imprecise steering...
11. tried cornering at 50 the car felt nervous.
12. cabin is airy and spacoius.
13. 3 people can sit comfortably sit on the 2nd row...
14. braking is ok.can't be called great.
15.dead pedal could interfere if you wear wide footwear.
16. jump seat is good enough for kids upto 8 years i think...
17. gear shift is not great.too notchy for my expectation.i drive an ikon.
18. pitching was almost nil which you normally feel in SUVs
Even from my TD at Bangalore, I can agree on those quoted points above.
4. The Steering does not feel precise. In the short run through traffic (St. Marks Road, Koshy's, Lavelle Road, Airlines Hotel) the steering neede more thought than normally intended.
14. Braking did feel nervous and this is the C8
17. The gearshift felt rubbery. Slot it, say in 3rd and the lever has a feel of trying to resist the slot.

But personally, I feel that many people will lap this offering.
The dealer (India Garage) had 4 register pages filled with enquiries. Many of the people had booked a Duster!. The dealer is already talking of a waiting of 2 months as he has only 4-5 vehicles in stock and only 45 allocated for the next 1 month.
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:05   #165
BHPian

The jump seats are cramped indeed but it doesnt matter at all in India.its hard to believe but I once saw 2 gals sitting inside the maruti 800 boot .I could not believe my eyes while they were getting down.although its rare but Indians are ready to "Adjust" and so I think this crampy jump seats will not hamper quanto sales.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks