Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2012, 17:18   #181
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto Launched @ Rs. 5.82 - 7.36 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
I am having doubts about handling of Quanto (courtesy high CoG). Still waiting for a test drive call from Evergreen Motors but first impression makes me distant from this Mahindra.
Hi Deepam,

When i saw the Autocar review, they said that the ride and handling are not so good on this vehicle. Although the seats are quite comfortable in this, but it has lot of horizontal movement when cornering. She said that it had vertical movement too.

I , for sure, would not like to go for a car which gives me vertical movements on little bumpy roads, and too add to that, she was testing on the mahindra tracks. So, you can think it'll be even worse when you drive it on our NHs.

It gain comes down to your priorities. Depending on your budget, you'll surely find good hatchbacks/sedans. Then why to go for this?
Even if its only for looks/for SUV stance, then also this does not makes sense because it negates that because of its heavy body roll.
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 17:34   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Hi Deepam,

When i saw the Autocar review, they said that the ride and handling are not so good on this vehicle. Although the seats are quite comfortable in this, but it has lot of horizontal movement when cornering. She said that it had vertical movement too.
on contrary I found II row seats not so comfortable......
deepgautam_qa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 18:46   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepgautam_qa View Post
on contrary I found II row seats not so comfortable......
ohh. then please refrain from Quanto. Mahindra is riding the success with XUV and Quanto , to me, looks to be a product of over-enthusiasm. They should have delayed the release of this product till they achieve better ride and handling in their test environments.

I don't think that they are looking at taxi segment with this product. They are mainly looking for private owners who want to have a SUV kind of vehicle, but with little tight on budget to go for a big SUV.

So, this product might not be a success story as that of XUV. The initial response might be there but they might not be able to convert their prospective customers into actual buying customers.
Old 24th September 2012, 20:51   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I wonder how good looking the Quanto would have been, if the height is reduced like this!
+1 to this. fiat sedici could be one example http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/146234.jpg and there are many such cars that qualify as station wagon and Mahindra could have taken cues from them..

I believe the 7 seater arrangement with side facing seats is such a pain that rather than this, quanto could have been 5 seater with good reclining seats and ample luggage space.
Old 24th September 2012, 21:41   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suslove View Post
Why would one compromise with a Swift or an i20? Only two aspects 1) 2 extra seats (for kids)
Hope nobody let their kids sit in those tiny side facing seats, at least on long trips. In case of collision, this is the area that suppose to crumble to save the rest of the passengers. What happens in case of impact on the side (C pillar)?. If i were to buy this tin box due to whatever reason, i will remove the jump seats, as quick as possible, so that no one sits there.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 22:27   #186
BHPian

i think it depends on the platform which it derives the vehicle from . i believe the xylo maybe wasnt the first vehicle conceived on the genio platform. It was the genio pickup / single cab / double cab as the name suggests. needed high road clearance to tackle bad rural roads.the transmission hump would have affected loading and unloading and they managed to get a flat floor without lip.
the engine is mounted high which would affect the handling and steer.
then to compound matters the seats are unusually high set. the middle row even so. the headroom even then for tall people ( i am six) is rather exaggerated. a tuck job at the crown of about 6 inches and 205/60/r15 tyres would mean a height reduction of upto 9" overall.
the vehicle would be dynamically different.
and we are talking of xylo here.
5 + 2 seater suv could have been derived from the logan platform ( unless the renault deal prevents them from doing that ). could've been a smarter car. even a station wagon would have been ok.
rather than making another ungainly vehicle. ( with complex issues & inherent design limitations which would hinder the best of minds to make it a good vehicle dynamically )
and just check the kerb weight of this vehicle. i feel it is shockingly high as as compared to a duster or ertiga. They cant cutdown too much as the vehicle is in essence a xylo. a few kilos shaved off the lighter engine and a couple of feet shaved of the rear is not going to make a drastic difference. the suspension setup is also rather heavy for load carrying ability of the platform of the genio. this seems to have been carried from xylo. entire dash and trims lifted straight from xylo. the chassis is very heavy too.
the dice was loaded from the start.
and nothing much mahindra could other than making another jeep variant and rake in the moolah .....
i am going to buy mahindra stock now....
Old 24th September 2012, 22:28   #187
BHPian

I took a test drive of the Quanto C8 a couple days ago. Here's what I think:

Looks: First impression is that the car(?) looks like a blown-up Santro. But it is not as bad as I imagined it would be from the spy-shots. I only saw the C8 model, so I cant say about the lower versions. The front is the most ordinary looking view, the rear is the worst, and the sides are passable. The low profile 205/60R15 tyres spoil the stance. I've feeling this would look like a proper mini SUV given the right rubber.

Interiors: Looks exactly like the Xylo. The third row seating is just for emergencies, in case you find the old 7Up ad guy asking for a lift. Not suitable for anyone else. Best keep those seats folded away and use the luggage space, which is decent. Front seating is nice a-la the Xylo. Rear seats are also comfy, with enough room. Plastic quality is decent, clocks are okay but too ordinary. There's a tacho, speedo, temp and fuel guages and they swing to maximum and back when ignition is turned on. Nothing to compain about.

Drive: The engine is quiet at idle, but there are vibes felt through the clutch once you move off. If you've driven the Polo TDI, think of that times two. It feels like a three pot diesel engine. What redeems this engine is its responsiveness. Low rpm torque is very strong, there is little to no turbo lag felt. The engine doesn't really smooth out, but was never so harsh as to affect drivability. The AC is superb. The driving position is awesome, and visibility is great!

Ride and Handling: Ride is very good on the roads that I tried it on, but I cant really comment without a longer TD. It did seem to level out all irregularities. Handling is not very confidence inspiring. I took a u-turn with four three occupants and the vehicle did roll quite a bit more than was comfy. I cant see myself enjoying the twisties on this car. Again, I need a longer TD to really make a call on this.

Verdict: Would I buy this car? Not really sure. Maybe if the pricing was better. Currently, I feel it is a bit too expensive. The C4 variant is 7.35L OTR Trivandrum.

• Pick-up, response
  • Interior Quality
  • Seating position
  • Ride

Dislikes
  • Looks
  • Vibes
  • Handling
  • FE (17.5 kpl ARAI)
  • Stance on low-profile tyres
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 00:28   #188
BHPian

Good first impression buddy, but you sure about the acceleration? I heard and even read that its pathetic plus good Ride! :O
Old 25th September 2012, 11:54   #189
Senior - BHPian

Just happened to see a newly delivered Red Qunto on road, looked damn cute, color also looked quite appealing and much more palpable than Xylo overall. Looks like a worthy competitor to Ertiga.
Old 25th September 2012, 13:19   #190
BHPian

Any updated from moderators on when we'll be getting the much awaited T-bhp review of Quanto. Actually I was not expecting so much wait for the review as the test drive vehicles were available at the showrooms on the launch date.

I know good things take time but then IMO it's comparatively easy to wait for launch than to wait for T-bhp review!
naren_L is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 14:58   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Good first impression buddy, but you sure about the acceleration? I heard and even read that its pathetic plus good Ride! :O
I only drove it in the city for about 2 km. Acceleration felt brisk, the car responded eagerly, driving thru traffic and overtaking was easy. The ride was also fairly comfy.
Old 26th September 2012, 06:41   #192

Hi all

I booked the quanto on last Sunday...took it out for a test drive on Sunday before booking it. I drove the c8 version for around 5 km. I took it upto 110 and the vehicle felt quite planted...there was roll but not too much.the in gear acceleration was pretty good...the only flip side is the top speed is expected to be around 140 or so only...I currently drive a palio 1.6 stile, so you can imagine how I drive ..my main reasons for the quanto
1. Diesel - as do long distances both for work and pleasure and a fiat palio is way too expensive as well as service is an issue outside city limits.
2. Not as expensive as competition -still have an open booking for ertiga at almost 1.5 lacs more for two seats that I am never going to use
3. Good space for first and second row, I may actually remove the third row seats completely. We are a family of three only
4. Need maintenance costs to be sane....

My views only
Cheers
chiradeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 11:26   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiradeep View Post
Hi all

I booked the quanto on last Sunday...took it out for a test drive on Sunday before booking it. I drove the c8 version for around 5 km. I took it upto 110 and the vehicle felt quite planted...there was roll but not too much.the in gear acceleration was pretty good...the only flip side is the top speed is expected to be around 140 or so only...I currently drive a palio 1.6 stile, so you can imagine how I drive ..my main reasons for the quanto
1. Diesel - as do long distances both for work and pleasure and a fiat palio is way too expensive as well as service is an issue outside city limits.
2. Not as expensive as competition -still have an open booking for ertiga at almost 1.5 lacs more for two seats that I am never going to use
3. Good space for first and second row, I may actually remove the third row seats completely. We are a family of three only
4. Need maintenance costs to be sane....

My views only
Cheers
Going by you requirements, Why not a i20 Crdi, Swift ZDI, or even a Dzire ZDi ?, will cost near about same as a quanto ?

I guess all the cars mentioned above will satisy your requirements too.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 26th September 2012, 11:56   #194
BHPian

I agree, why don't you take a look at a premium hatch? Quanto frankly doesn't make sense at that price. I would suggest you to take a look at the i20 CRDI, Fiesta Classic or the Swift ZDI.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:12   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiradeep View Post
Hi all

I booked the quanto on last Sunday...
1. Diesel
2. Not as expensive
3. Good space for first and second row
4. maintenance costs sane....
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Going by you requirements, Why not a i20 Crdi, Swift ZDI, or even a Dzire ZDi ?, will cost near about same as a quanto ?
Sameer
@^^ +1
You would have also considered the Top End trims of Entry level Diesel Sedans like Etios / Fiesta Classic / Verito or even the Mid trim Sunny XL D. These will most probably prove to be
1. More reliable
2. More fuel efficient Diesels
3. Comfortable 5 Seaters with big boots (Etios, Verito and Sunny at least)
4. Have better Handling
5. Costing about the same
6. About equally fast in 0-100 and top speed due to ~500-600kg less weight. (Sunny should be considerably faster)

Could you tell us the reasoning why you picked Quanto over these?

Where Quanto trumps them is bad road ability though, so if you have bad roads on your travel routes, Quanto should be the better bet.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed