Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 20:53   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Skoda Rapid gets 2 new variants : Active Plus & Ambition Plus

When the VW Vento gets a features update (Link), Skoda can't be far behind. Skoda announces the Plus package for the Active (base) variant and the Ambition (mid) variant.

So, what does the Active Plus get over the regular Active?

- Remote control with foldable key
- Electrically adjustable ORVMs

What does the Ambition Plus get over the regular Ambition?

- 2 Din stereo system
- AUX input
- SD card reader
- Front & rear speakers
- Remote / comfort opening & closing of windows
- Some misc chrome trim
- Child-proof rear window locking

The gap between the Ambition Plus & the fully-loaded Elegance has also reduced. Skoda says that the Active & Ambition (regular & plus, both) variants will remain on sale; I don't think so. The Plus variants are enhancements on the regular line, and there's little difference between them. It might just be dependent on when stocks of the non-plus variants run out.

An excel sheet with the full feature list is attached to the bottom of this post.

Name:  Prices.GIF
Views: 13856
Size:  11.7 KB
Attached Files
File Type: xls Skoda Rapid Variants.xls (106.0 KB, 1880 views)

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2012 at 20:55.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 21:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Skoda Rapid gets 2 new variants : Active Plus & Ambition Plus

Good way to boost up few sales. Let's see how much these variants gets successful in the market boosting the sales for the company. Before the price gap between variants too was high but now the difference is valid. Why didn't Skoda do it before?
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The gap between the Ambition Plus & the fully-loaded Elegance has also reduced. Skoda says that the Active & Ambition (regular & plus, both) variants will remain on sale; I don't think so. The Plus variants are enhancements on the regular line, and there's little difference between them. It might just be dependent on when stocks of the non-plus variants run out.
Thanks GTO. Very timely indeed. Clearly a reactionary step to VW's recent sprucing up of the Vento. Skoda lost absolutely no time in ringing in the changes - however small.

The Active trim was extremely stripped down. The Plus gives it a semblance of respectability. And now Ambition Plus truly looks the VFM part. I see most Rapid buyers making a beeline for this trim.

I tend to agree with you. I don't think Skoda sees any long-term value in the non-plus variants. In fact, as time goes on, these might just replace the regular line with more/ substantial enhancements coming our way on the top-of-the-line Elegance.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 22nd September 2012 at 01:02.
Old 22nd September 2012, 01:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

What's 'child proof rear window locking'?
Doesn't every car with a power window have this switch which overrides any control from any of the passengers for the power windows and only the driver side controls can be used?
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:09   #5
BHPian

Thanks for sharing GTO ! Have not seen the Hyderabad pricing yet. But to put perspective to the variants, am including the comparative prices of all variants.

Skoda Rapid gets 2 new variants : Active Plus & Ambition Plus-capture.jpg

It was Ambition vs Elegance earlier. Henceforth it probably would be Ambition Plus vs Elegance.

Savings of 70 K on ex-showroom will make Ambition Plus miss the following features over the Elegance :-
- Alloy Wheels
- Climatronic - automatic air conditioning with electronic regulation of cabin temperature
- Front passenger front airbag (This could have been avoided)
- Chrome trim on steering wheel
- Acoustic warning signal for overrun speed
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
- Leather wrapped hand-brake lever
- Front passenger seat adjustment from rear seat
- Multi function display (MFD) of Travelling time, Distance travelled, Average speed, Immediate consumption, Average consumption, Travel distance before refuelling, Service Interval, Outside temperature, Clock
- Storage pockets on the backrest of the front seats

Now - one thing caught my eye.

Skoda Rapid gets 2 new variants : Active Plus & Ambition Plus-capture01.jpg

With no disrespect to GTO's .xls - I attached a screenshot from skoda-auto.co.in (where I went to verify)

ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) (for Ambition with automatic transmission) ?
Dual Rate brake assist (for Ambition with automatic transmission) ?

The updated brochure however does not mention the AT reference.

Skoda Rapid gets 2 new variants : Active Plus & Ambition Plus-capture04.jpg

Obvious thought - Ambition & Plus without AT = No ABS ? Would be
Probably not. Only time could tell. Apologies if I just started a debate.

Last edited by DieselDon : 22nd September 2012 at 10:19. Reason: Corrected the last image so that the TBHP wordings do not mask the text.
DieselDon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:31   #6
BHPian

Very good move by Skoda. These two variants will definitely attract people on a tight budget & looking for something extra.

What is the 'Chid-proof rear window locking' thing? I thought this window locking was available as a standard part on all Power Window featured cars.

Also, IMO Multi-Function Display still remains to be a glaring omission in the Ambition plus variant.
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:06   #7
BHPian

Still no safety features.

When I read "Plus" in the heading of this thread, I expected that at least ABS was added into Active Plus variant.
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Obvious thought - Ambition & Plus without AT = No ABS ? Would be
Not without precedent. Maruti Dzire VXi does not get ABS, but VXi AT does.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 13:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Not without precedent. Maruti Dzire VXi does not get ABS, but VXi AT does.
The earlier Skoda Rapid Ambition had ABS across MT & AT.

If removed, would make the trims similar to the Vento (Only Highline has ABS). One of the reasons Rapid Ambition was a VFM trim for Safety (even without the Airbags).

If it does happen, might be a bad influence. It probably is a typo or composing error (I hope) as it should ideally mean a price reduction in the Rapid Ambition (which is not evident from the pricing).

Last edited by DieselDon : 22nd September 2012 at 13:49.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

What does the Ambition Plus get over the regular Ambition?

- 2 Din stereo system
- AUX input
- SD card reader
- Front & rear speakers
- Some misc chrome trim
The ambition model that i got in late 2011 already had the following features.

Has skoda removed these intentionally from this variant, to make the customers spend more for these features?
Old 5th October 2012, 01:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
What's 'child proof rear window locking'?
Doesn't every car with a power window have this switch which overrides any control from any of the passengers for the power windows and only the driver side controls can be used?
I think this refers to the anti-pinch windows which don't roll up if they touch something on their way up. Useful if you've got small kids who play with the windows and also manage to put their fingers in between
Old 5th October 2012, 01:35   #12
BHPian

Has anyone noticed any improvement in Skoda's A.S.S?

A few relatives who had the Octavia have recounted horror stories at the hands of some dealers and have been persistently telling me to keep off Skoda. I TD-ed the Rapid and liked it, but if the A.S.S is sketchy, not sure if I want to take a chance!!
Old 5th October 2012, 13:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

I cannot comment with any authority for Mumbai but i can tell you that my experience has not been too bad here in Delhi , i recently took the Fabia for example for its 7500 Km check up , got the car back in 6 hours , the adviser gave me his attention and noted down all the problems , and called me the minute the car was ready as well.

They did quite a few jobs and all free of charge , the experience was not exceptionally good but it was not negative either and i personally am happy with an average experience given the past stories one has read about.

Just to add as a last point , 2 days later i got a feedback call from the service center and i highlighted 1-2 jobs not done to satisfaction , this was about 3 weeks ago - since then 3 times a week , if not more , i have got a call asking me when they can get the car back to fix the remaining niggles - very aggressive follow up , makes me feel good as a Skoda owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SujAce View Post
Has anyone noticed any improvement in Skoda's A.S.S?

A few relatives who had the Octavia have recounted horror stories at the hands of some dealers and have been persistently telling me to keep off Skoda. I TD-ed the Rapid and liked it, but if the A.S.S is sketchy, not sure if I want to take a chance!!
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 13:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

My March 2012 Ambition had remote opening and closing of windows as well. I think it is the audio system addition which is the biggest change in the ambition plus variant. I would personally suggest that one buys the ambition variant and install the ICE on their own since Skoda's audio system does not have bluetooth nor USB.
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

New edition of Skoda Rapid launched:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...aunched/16182/

Quote:
Skoda has launched a limited edition Rapid Prestige variant priced at Rs 8.99 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The mid-size sedan now comes with additional bells and whistles such as a navigation system, parking sensors, wind visors, textile floor mats and Prestige badging on the sides of the car to give it a distinct identity.

The Rapid Prestige edition is available only with the 1.6 TDI diesel engine that puts out 105PS and 250Nm of torque. Also, it’s around Rs 3,000 cheaper than the mid-variant Ambition Plus, which is priced at Rs 9.02 lakh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks