Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2012, 15:13   #16
BHPian

re: The Renault Lodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Check the link again. All the above engines make it to all the cars. The same 86PS K9K engine is there in Duster, Lodgy, Logan (sold in Europe) and the Evalia (sold in India).

I think you can take those prices and the Indian price of one car (the top end 86PS K9K Duster) as reference points and calculate proportional Indian prices of Lodgy, Sandero, Logan, etc if they ever get launched in India.

As to the RHD issue, even for the Logan, India was the first market with RHD. So no big issues there. If it starts to be manufactured here, it'll simply get exported to other RHD countries like Australia and UK.
Logan comes with a K9K alright, but not in the 86 PS tune. We have one, and its the 65 Ps one. Also while conversion from LHD to RHD, they tend to forget some basic stuff. Logan wipers wipe on the wrong side (from left to right) so they splatter water right in front of the driver when going back. The wiper itself is good and they wipe well enough, but they are optimized for LHD. Of course, not to mention that the wiper/indicator/headlight stalks and the AC controls are on the wrong side too.

And I was TPing last night on the Dacia.de portal and checked out all their products. The base Lodgy costs EUR 1000 less than the base Duster with the exact same equipment and the exact same no. of seats (5). You need to pay EUR 590 extra for the 2 last row seats. These seats apparently are good enough even for people who are 6ft 2 in height with room to spare for their knees and heads. Even with 7 seats, it is still left with 205 liters of remaining boot space (About the same as a Swift)!!

For Ambiance trim and DCi 90 engine on both cars,
Duster 4x2 costs EUR 14,390
Lodgy 7 seater costs EUR 14,080

For Prestige trim and DCi 110 engines on both cars,
Duster 4x2 costs EUR 17,090
Lodgy 7 seater costs EUR 17,080

Source:
http://www.dacia.de/dacia_duster_preise.php
http://www.dacia.de/dacia_lodgy_preise.php

This means that the 7 seater Lodgy costs slightly less than the 5 seater Duster with identical engine and features (at least it does by a substantial margin with the lower powered variant). By comparison, the Nissan Evalia 7 seater (Also known as the Renault Trafic, sold in France) is priced exactly identical to Duster DCi 85Ps in India.

And would you believe it? Lodgy does faster 0-100s than the comparable Duster . Considering the fact that Duster does faster 0-100s than XUV, this is especially shocking.

Last edited by antz.bin : 30th September 2012 at 15:18.
Old 30th September 2012, 17:23   #17
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Logan comes with a K9K alright, but not in the 86 PS tune. We have one, and its the 65 Ps one.
That is the Indian Mahindra-Renault Logan. Abroad its already been upgraded to the 86PS tune and I don't think the 65PS engine is sold much.

Quote:
Also while conversion from LHD to RHD, they tend to forget some basic stuff. Logan wipers wipe on the wrong side (from left to right) so they splatter water right in front of the driver when going back. The wiper itself is good and they wipe well enough, but they are optimized for LHD. Of course, not to mention that the wiper/indicator/headlight stalks and the AC controls are on the wrong side too.
That has got nothing to do with difficulty in conversion though. The guys responsible wanted to cut costs at a lot of places and did a quick and dirty job of bringing the Logan here. If Renault and Mahindra had studied the market more seriously, brought a full spec Logan to India, and refreshed it with the newer variants as it was launched (current gen Logan looks VERY upmarket in design just for the reference and even back when it was launched in India the boxy design still had something classy about it if it could've been complemented with excellent interiors) and offered the 86PS and 110PS (this one would've made it an instant hit as a sporty diesel sedan) engines as options, it would have completely taken over the market, especially because back then the only competition in Diesel Sedan category was the Hyundai Verna. I don't know whose (Mahindra's or Renault's) fault it was, but they just screwed up when bringing a really good car.

Quote:
And I was TPing last night on the Dacia.de portal and checked out all their products.
You follow German ?

Anyway, I think the queer pricing maybe a result of the fact that Dacia is supposed to be a budget-oriented brand. In Europe the brand value (that the company intends to project) is like Renault > Nissan > Dacia. While in India, Dacia is rebranded as Renault and positioned above Nissan.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:28   #18
BHPian

I recall reading somewhere that Renualt was looking at 5 models in India. With the Scala, they have achieved that. Not sure if they are intending to get more now.

Believe dynamics of Indian market has been changing virtually every year. Hence by 2014 we may be onto something else leaving our fascination for MPV.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 11:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I recall reading somewhere that Renualt was looking at 5 models in India. With the Scala, they have achieved that. Not sure if they are intending to get more now.
That is exactly what the Renault executives at the Scala launch were saying. I very much doubt there is any plan to augment the product portfolio at this point of time. Ranault has their hands full with the Duster right now. With Scala TV advertising having just kicked off, they may get some interest generated there as well.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 11:50   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
I recall reading somewhere that Renault was looking at 5 models in India. With the Scala, they have achieved that. Not sure if they are intending to get more now.

Believe dynamics of Indian market has been changing virtually every year. Hence by 2014 we may be onto something else leaving our fascination for MPV.
I guess that plan (of 5 new cars) before close of 2012, which they have achieved. There were also talks of scaling up their presence in the country upto 100 dealerships or so, before close of the year.

A car like Lodgy actually makes lots of business sense – (1) Being a re-badged Dacia, they can play a bit on the cost advantage, and (2) the small Family MPV segment is still quite untouched, and early birds will surely have the advantage.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:58   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
That is exactly what the Renault executives at the Scala launch were saying. I very much doubt there is any plan to augment the product portfolio at this point of time. Ranault has their hands full with the Duster right now....
Lodgy is at least 2 years away from the launch! Frankly I don't expect Scala to do decent numbers at the max 6 months from now! And Renault simply can't ride on the success of Duster for long. If team-bhp has to be taken as a sample, probably even the Duster interests are going to decline in an year or two.

Renault clearly needs another HOT segment to keep their accounts happy! And it makes a lot of sense to bring in a MPV which is all set to get even hotter. Also 2 years give them ample time to ramp up their dealerships & A$$ outlets across the country, if they choose to!
Old 17th November 2012, 14:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Lodgy is at least 2 years away from the launch!

Renault clearly needs another HOT segment to keep their accounts happy! And it makes a lot of sense to bring in a MPV which is all set to get even hotter. Also 2 years give them ample time to ramp up their dealerships & A$$ outlets across the country, if they choose to!
An article today in bsmotoring "Renault readies a people-carrier for a 2014 Auto Expo launch. BSM drives the Lodgy " -
http://www.bsmotoring.com/news/renau...odgycal/6021/1

The article mentions it to be direct competitor to Ertiga. Looks promising. We hope it gets launched in Q4 2013.
Old 11th December 2012, 18:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Lodgy is close to the Innova in terms of dimensions.

The Lodgy is not exactly achingly beautiful to look at, but has a certain no frills air about it like all Dacia brands.

If Renault is serious about getting this into India they may give the established 7-seaters a run for its money.
And let's not forget, Renault are experts at the MPV business having literally started the segment way back in the late 80's with the ESPACE.

I only wish they change the name for India , otherwise Lodgy in India can become corrupted to "Lo-Jee, gaddi aah gaayi"

Pic & Dimensions Courtesy :
NetCar Show.com
http://www.netcarshow.com/dacia/2013...llpaper_2d.htm
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Lodgy-dacialodgy_dimensiions.jpg  

arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 13:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Lodgy is at least 2 years away from the launch! Frankly I don't expect Scala to do decent numbers at the max 6 months from now! And Renault simply can't ride on the success of Duster for long. If team-bhp has to be taken as a sample, probably even the Duster interests are going to decline in an year or two.

I have my reservations too on the Lodgy coming to our shores anytime in the near future. When Renault revealed its India plans last year in 2011, it had announced 5 launches by the end of 2012. Accordingly we have seen the Fluence, Koleos, Pulse, Duster and Scala launched in that order.

Renault has also tasted unprecedented success with its monocoque SUV Duster and I expect them to continue to ride the compact crossover's success wave for some time.

Renault has openly stated that India, along with Brazil and Russia, are their focus markets. With a slew of launches, it already has a pretty wide product portfolio that stretches across a number of segments already. But they are also aware that in order to have an even stronger presence in India, they also need to ramp up their dealership and network. The overwhelming volumes on the Duster literally demands it now.

Therefore I think that would be their focus and priority before the next batch of launches is planned/announced. I'm sure, having tasted blood now, they are eying the very lucrative MUV segment though.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 12th December 2012 at 13:52.
Old 12th December 2012, 14:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
But they are also aware that in order to have an even stronger presence in India, they also need to ramp up their dealership and network.
You are absolutely spot on. And from what a little birdie tells me, Renault's dealer development team is on the job, literally 24x7. They have a very aggressive network ramp up plan and, this mind you, not only confining themselves to the Main and Tier - 2 cities but also some lucrative Tier-3 cities.
Already most major metros in India have received the second Renault dealer Letter of Intent and more are in pipeline.
Calcutta will also see the second Renault dealer coming on stream by year end (Lower Circular Road, just before Mohan Maruti, to those who are familiar with the city)

Also it looks like that Renault's handling of their dealers is commendable. The French major is paying good incentives, very good payouts on insurance and early ontime settlement of warranty claims.

Renault is also very clear that they do not want to go down, cousin NISSAN's way, by managing the network through a third party distributor, and wishes to keep the management of their dealership's to themselves to have better control and connect with customers.
Old 12th December 2012, 15:13   #26

Thanks for the post, dude. does anyone know how to pronounce DACIA? I dont want to do it in a wrong way and look stupid..
Old 12th December 2012, 18:48   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader82 View Post
Thanks for the post, dude. does anyone know how to pronounce DACIA? I dont want to do it in a wrong way and look stupid..
Guess this is pronounced as Da-tch-iya . Providing a Youtube link which also has it pronounced in the very beginning.

Old 12th December 2012, 21:55   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The Lodgy does look like a very promising launch from Renault if they decide to bring it to our shores.
1. The MPV segment is still going to see a lot of growth and the choices are few and limited currently. A good looking MPV at a VFM pricing would be an ideal launch for any car maker.
2. More importantly Renault would be more famous among the masses for its SUV Duster. I have a feeling that people might start attributing the company with MUV/SUVs and would be more than willing to put down there money on an MPV by Renault.

Its bewildering to see Innova still going unchallenged in our country after so many years of its launch ( I am counting the Qualis years too). Every one can see the numbers it enjoys each month even though it fares poorly on features. Its high time to see a good MPV getting launched in India which can be seen as a proper alternative to the Innova and not just another car trying to compete with it but falling short on one or the other parameter.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

I was expecting Evalia in a new nose, But Lodgy looks like a Ertiga contender. Good move from Renault.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:41   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
You are absolutely spot on. And from what a little birdie tells me, Renault's dealer development team is on the job, literally 24x7. They have a very aggressive network ramp up plan and, this mind you, not only confining themselves to the Main and Tier - 2 cities but also some lucrative Tier-3 cities.
Already most major metros in India have received the second Renault dealer Letter of Intent and more are in pipeline.
It only seems logical. The Duster flying off the shelves and ringing in the volumes must put a lot of pressure on their after sales as well. A lot of learning as well. For one, on how you need to be well equipped to deal with the workload on your after sales network.

When you're averaging 4K copies a month, you'd better ensure your customers are happy when they come back to you for service, ain't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader82 View Post
There's a wee bit of 't' there. Ever so slightly. It's pronounced dat-shia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Its bewildering to see Innova still going unchallenged in our country after so many years of its launch ( I am counting the Qualis years too). Every one can see the numbers it enjoys each month even though it fares poorly on features. Its high time to see a good MPV getting launched in India which can be seen as a proper alternative to the Innova and not just another car trying to compete with it but falling short on one or the other parameter.
I think Toyota will be the first to concede that the Ertiga is giving it a more than a fair bit of competition.

However you're right in a manner of speaking, there isn't enough competition in the MUV segment right now. Although I assure you, that scenario is going to change very quickly in this country. Almost everyone is eying this lucrative segment and I see manufacturers falling over each other to introduce their MUV offerings in the years to come.

Anyway about time, the Innova is dethroned, isn't it?!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks