Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 22:38   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Renault Lodgy

Mod Note: Our Renault Lodgy Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

This is a link I came across in ACI.
Quote:
Buoyed by the success of the Duster, Renault is now considering the launch of another Dacia sourced product – the Lodgy. This 7-seat, three row MPV would be a direct competitor of the Maruti Ertiga, the compact MPV which has opened up an all-new segment in the Indian market. The Lodgy would relatively be easy to manufacture in India as it borrows a lot of its mechanicals from the Duster. It will be powered by the venerable Renault 1.5 diesel K9K that is now the staple engine for most Renault-Nissan products in India.

According to sources in Renault, the Lodgy’s interiors would be heavily modified for the Indian market and a new instrument panel, interior trim and rear air-con vents are likely to be developed for the India-spec car.
Detailed report:: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/317...-to-india.aspx

The speculated launch date is mid 2014. Looks like K9K engine is all set to take the crown of national engine! And if indeed Renault is launching this, they better do their home work well as they are pitting it straight at the Ertiga.

Does it also mean they will NOT re-badge Evalia but bring in Lodgy as a competitor to it as well?

Edit:: Adding pics taken from the internet, copyright - respective owners

The Renault Lodgy-lodgy_1.jpg

The Renault Lodgy-lodgy_3.jpg

The Renault Lodgy-lodgy_4.jpg

The Renault Lodgy-lodgy_22.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2015 at 14:07. Reason: Adding link to review :)
swiftnfurious is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 12:17   #2
BHPian

re: The Renault Lodgy

Lodgy? The name is even quirkier than the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Looks like K9K engine is all set to take the crown of national engine!
Also the Micra interiors. Perhaps it ought to be called our "national interior".
one-77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 14:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

For one thing, Lodgy is not available as RHD.
Secondly, where will they position it? Below Duster and it would cannibalise Evalia. Above or on par with Duster, and it will be a dud from day one!
Old 29th September 2012, 15:08   #4
MHG
BHPian

I definitely see this as the next logical product of Renault in India, IF they don't rebadge the Evalia instead. The Lodgy could be the Evalia for private buyers as an image-vehicle MPV - targeting the Ertiga and Private-buyer Innova markets. It could exist side-by-side with the Evalia, with both the cars doing duties for different markets. It does look significantly better than the Innova, atleast to my eyes.

PS: As to India-specific changes, I see the black LODGY strip at the rear replaced with chrome.

Last edited by MHG : 29th September 2012 at 15:10.
Old 29th September 2012, 15:27   #5
BHPian

IMHO It looks good and much better at rear than Evalia. Looks like this is Renault's alternative to Evalia for image-conscious buyers and who knows, if provided with a decent price tag, good interiors and strong engine, it may even dethrone Innova as the king of MPV segment. It too sports an honest, no-nonsense approach and since it is a Dacia, it could be priced well considering it's price tag in rome. Renault shouldn't waste it's time in bringing it here.

P.S. It would be great if Renault brings some french products here like Clio etc.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 29th September 2012, 16:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Secondly, where will they position it? Below Duster and it would cannibalise Evalia. Above or on par with Duster, and it will be a dud from day one!
I don't think its such a big problem to have multiple products in the same segment. That has been what MSIL has been doing for ages and its for everyone to see how it works. If you have the right products, there are right people out there who will buy them.
And i think its best if it cannibalises Evalia. This one looks much more main stream than Evalia.
Old 29th September 2012, 16:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This is a link I came across in ACI.
Does it also mean they will NOT re-badge Evalia but bring in Lodgy as a competitor to it as well?
I feel this is a good car for India – to compete in the Ertiga space. Unlike the panel van-like Evalia, the Lodgy looks like a proper family car, and I feel in a year or so, the market segments will be more defined than now.

That said, the name Lodgy sounds very Dodgy

Quote:
The Dacia Lodgy is expected make an appearance in the UK. So the RHD version should be out soon.
Old 29th September 2012, 16:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
since it is a Dacia, it could be priced well considering it's price tag in rome.

P.S. It would be great if Renault brings some french products here like Clio etc.
Quite unlikely that Renault will price it cheap. If the Dacia thing were true, the Duster should have come in much cheaper. Renault is greedy with its India pricing.
But I do agree with the post-script. Renault does have some nice products in Europe, like the Clio, Megane and Twingo. Would be nice to see them here, instead of the rebadged and over-priced Nissans.
Old 29th September 2012, 16:37   #9
Team-BHP Support

It all depends at last row. If it has good leg room and if they price it in the Evalia range or maybe slightly upwards,
then for sure it would eat not just into Innova's but also Xylo's sales.

Because the 1.5L would bring in the efficiency which would be a plus over Innova. And if they have the leg room, that
would match Xylo in space, the fit and finish would end up being much better than Xylo and hence tilting it in its favour.
(This is in case they price it in the range comparable to Xylo)
Old 29th September 2012, 17:38   #10
BHPian

Read an article quite a while back that it was introduced in UK staring at 9990 Euros. That is like about 6lakhs. Maybe the ertiga segment size & price-wise then.
Old 29th September 2012, 20:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Secondly, where will they position it? Below Duster and it would cannibalise Evalia. Above or on par with Duster, and it will be a dud from day one!
I believe this will be priced at a slight premium above Evalia, going by Renault pricing w.r.t Nissan products. Even if it's at par with duster, I don't see much cross shopping happening as Duster is a clear 5 seater & has more of that SUV looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
....if provided with a decent price tag, good interiors and strong engine, it may even dethrone Innova as the king of MPV segment. ...
Lodgy alone will NOT dethrone Innova, but a combination of Evalia + Lodgy + Ertiga can sure bring in a BIG dent in Innova's sale. But then we are actually looking at another 1.5 years. Innova might most probably have a new gen out by then I guess. Toyota may not get away with a premium pricing then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Read an article quite a while back that it was introduced in UK staring at 9990 Euros. That is like about 6lakhs. Maybe the ertiga segment size & price-wise then.
Yea, It should be priced in the Evalia / Ertiga range.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th September 2012 at 20:08.
Old 29th September 2012, 20:28   #12
MHG
BHPian

Check out the prices in this link. Very interesting I must say... http://www.dacia.de/home.php?page=J92
Old 30th September 2012, 01:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Check out the prices in this link. Very interesting I must say... http://www.dacia.de/home.php?page=J92
The EUR 9999 version I guess would be the 1.6l NA Petrol engined one. They also have a very efficient 115 Ps 1.2 Turbo Petrol rated to return FE of 17.3kmpl (combined). (I wonder when this engine will make it to India. :( )

But still, at EUR 1000 below Duster pricing, its quite a deal! Would give tough competition to Ertiga and makes the Evalia look awfully overpriced at its current pricing at par with 85Ps Duster!
Old 30th September 2012, 09:05   #14
BHPian

If launched this would be the best looking MPV. Also don't see a Renault version of Evalia because it could likely dent the premium brand that Renault wants to project like VW does.

Con: Likely to priced higher and along the same price bracket as the Innova XV.
Pro: A more VFM Nissan might be in the pipeline in the Innova G(x) price bracket.
Old 30th September 2012, 09:28   #15
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
The EUR 9999 version I guess would be the 1.6l NA Petrol engined one. They also have a very efficient 115 Ps 1.2 Turbo Petrol rated to return FE of 17.3kmpl (combined). (I wonder when this engine will make it to India. :( )

But still, at EUR 1000 below Duster pricing, its quite a deal! Would give tough competition to Ertiga and makes the Evalia look awfully overpriced at its current pricing at par with 85Ps Duster!
Check the link again. All the above engines make it to all the cars. The same 86PS K9K engine is there in Duster, Lodgy, Logan (sold in Europe) and the Evalia (sold in India).

I think you can take those prices and the Indian price of one car (the top end 86PS K9K Duster) as reference points and calculate proportional Indian prices of Lodgy, Sandero, Logan, etc if they ever get launched in India.

As to the RHD issue, even for the Logan, India was the first market with RHD. So no big issues there. If it starts to be manufactured here, it'll simply get exported to other RHD countries like Australia and UK.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed