Old 29th September 2012, 20:51   #1

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched

The big news from Volvo in the Paris motor show is that they will launch the Volvo V40 Cross Country in India in the 2nd quarter of 2013. This car is aimed straight at the Merc B class / BMW X1 / Audi Q3. To give the "go anywhere" attitude, this car has been raised by 40mm to 173 mm(from regular V40). Looks like they will bring 2 petrol engine variants as CBU. Also said this is a completely new segment for Volvo & hope this will bring in the much needed success.

Synonymous to Volvo brand, this car also smashed all NCAP safety records out there and is the new safety benchmark!

Details:: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...euro-ncap.html.

But can just a petrol only option help Volvo, especially when pitched again X1 or Q3?

Excerpt from IAB
The Volvo V40 Cross Country will be available with T4 and T5 petrol engines. The latter produces 259 bhp and is mated to a six-speed autobox. According to NDTV’s Car and Bike Show host Siddharth Vinayak Patankar, Volvo will launch the V40 Cross Country in India by March next year as a Completely Built Unit (CBU) and deliveries will begin by May.
The Volvo V40 Cross Country will be pitched against the BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Merc B Class.
Related links:

http://indianautosblog.com/2012/09/v...ch-2013-launch

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16603932.cms

Image courtesy - NetCarShow.

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched-volvov40_1.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched-volvov40_11.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched-volvov40_2.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched-volvov40_3.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched-volvov40_4.jpg

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th September 2012 at 20:57.
swiftnfurious is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th September 2012, 22:06   #2

re: Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched

The big news from Volvo in the Paris motor show is that they will launch the Volvo V40 Cross Country in India in the 2nd quarter of 2013. This car is aimed straight at the Merc B class / BMW X1 / Audi Q3. To give the "go anywhere" attitude, this car has been raised by 40mm to 173 mm(from regular V40). Looks like they will bring 2 petrol engine variants as CBU. Also said this is a completely new segment for Volvo & hope this will bring in the much needed success.
Another good looking Volvo! The regular V40 has already garnered some positive reviews from the international media, and this Cross Country looks very promising. Wonder why they did not go with the name XC40

But can just a petrol only option help Volvo, especially when pitched again X1 or Q3?
I doubt if this will be the case. Volvo already have CBU S60 and XC60 with the D5 and D3 engines. I feel they will bring this car with the D3 engine, or probably even a smaller 1.6 D2.
Old 29th September 2012, 22:09   #3

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2012 at 13:44.
patil is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th September 2012, 22:13   #4

Another good looking Volvo! ....
You bet!! I love this & the S60.

...I feel they will bring this car with the D3 engine, or probably even a smaller 1.6 D2.
They really need to. And I seriously they hope they implement this raised suspension concept of rest of the sedans too, our roads badly need it. I wouldn't even dream of driving the S60 on Kerala roads!
Old 29th September 2012, 22:29   #5

The car is definitely good looking and a very competent rival to the entry level premium cross-overs.

With the 15+ lakh segment being diesel-centric in the Indian market, I wonder what kind of strategy is being adopted by these manufacturers. First it was the B-class and now the V40. To gauge a market by launching a CBU is one thing but to gauge a diesel-centric market with a petrol is something that is puzzling me.
Old 30th September 2012, 08:57   #6

Diesel tax on personal vehicles or a further cut in diesel subsidy in future will make the choice of petrol or diesel a tough one. However looking at how Volvo has priced their other products, I believe the V40 would be over priced higher than both X1 and the Q3.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:18   #7

This looks nice, actually great. Much better than X1 and Q3 as well (no offense to owners please) . It surely looks promising and if, gets equipped with a diesel engine, is sure to leave some wet spots on trousers of the German boys. I'm sure it would be equipped with the D5 diesel engine of S60 before making it's way in India.

P.S. I had read somewhere that V40 gets equipped with world's first Pedestrian Airbag. Is that true and would this cross country version be equipped with the same?

I feel that polestar variant is worth the wait here in India. Is there any speculation of Polestar variant going on?

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 30th September 2012, 12:18   #8

I read this in the cartrade mailer that I get each week.
Amazing looking vehicle and true to Volvo form it will be absolutely top drawer in terms of finish, finesse, safety and plushness.
The Germans better keep a keen eye on their rear view mirrors!
I really hope this Volvo succeeds in India and I also hope Volvo increases its sales and service presence here soon!
Old 30th September 2012, 12:30   #9

Striking and very different design, but somehow the overall profile tapering thin into the front reminds me of an armadillo .

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched-armadillo.jpg

Volvo V40 Cross Country - India launch in 2013 *Update* - Now Launched-volvov40_11.jpg

The influx of crossover vehicles is interesting, though I can't help but feel India will get over this fad before the rest of the world does.
predatorwheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 15:17   #10

The car looks great, I am liking it! The design is different when compared to its competitors. Interiors being a Volvo would be expected to be similar. First, I would say Volvo should increase their Dealership Networks and improve the After Sales Services because without that there is no point launching the vehicle.
Old 8th October 2012, 17:48   #11

Oh Boy!. Am i excited to see this car. After being disappointed by the Q3's price and the lack of equipment it offers, i think this car will blow every ones mind when it launches. And i just hope and pray they don't get rid of the existing features this car has like how Audi did for Q3.

The Volvo V40 Cross Country could be the car of my dreams finally. We will have to just wait and watch. Volvo, please don't mess with specs of the car. Give us all the Engine options and Feature Packages.
Old 9th October 2012, 18:38   #12

hello all
what prompted me to write the post was the "go anywhere" tag, which should read "go every where" including the workshop and the bank ! These vehicles with their thin side walled tyres will only pull you out of some mud/slush but no off roading please. In the days when I was romancing the Yeti ( its a superb vehicle ) i took it out to my farm house and ended up spending close to 20K for the replacement of two tyres - so much for off roading. Moral of the story: if you want to off road, get an off roader, these are sedans with more GC
Old 9th October 2012, 18:51   #13

Looks fantastic. But no diesel option and coming in as a CBU (more expensive than competition), it's going to be a dud. Why can't they get a diesel option? Volvo's are known for the safety they offer. If I had money, I would prefer it over other premium European brands but only with a diesel.

They might as well not bother to launch it.
Old 9th October 2012, 20:09   #14

Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Looks fantastic. But no diesel option and coming in as a CBU (more expensive than competition), it's going to be a dud. Why can't they get a diesel option? Volvo's are known for the safety they offer. If I had money, I would prefer it over other premium European brands but only with a diesel.

They might as well not bother to launch it.

I am positive that Volvo will surely launch a diesel variant. They have to if they want to be in the game.
Old 9th October 2012, 20:30   #15

This and the Volvo S60 are the most sexy cars (affordable) on the road!
If they price it this side of 22 lakhs, bump up their service in India, introduce a boring old diesel for the masses and a red hot turbo petrol engine, they would have one guaranteed buyer.
Its amazing how Volvo are transforming themselves from boring, old, soul-less to making absolutely phenomenal looking cars which are great fun to drive and yet will kill all other manufacturers when it comes to safety.
The only other company which came close was Saab. It's a pity they're gone. Would've liked to see them in India some day!