Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2012, 09:23   #1
BANNED

The Right To Repair Act - coming to India soon ?

17 car companies have been pulled up by the Competition Commission of India for practicing anti-competitive measures in India. CCI has found that these car makers are selling spare parts at higher prices to the consumers and has scheduled hearing for next month for seeking explanations on same from them.

The show-cause notice has been issued by commission to alleged car makers, for not practicing a healthy competition. The name of the manufacturers has not been disclosed yet but it’s expected that overseas manufacturers are also there in the list.

The probe was conducted after a complaint was filed with the CCI against certain carmakers for allegedly abusing their dominant market position by selling spare auto parts to customers at high prices.

Going by the complaint, the carmakers were making available spare parts only through their authorised dealers, who in turn sold them at high rates. And in most cases only if the repair was also done in the dealership.

In other countries the Right To Repair Act ensures that automakers make vehicle technology, service procedures and manuals available to FNG’s. There's been a move to have a similar enactment in India to protect automobile owners from the restrictive practices of manufacturers.

So will India get it's own Right To Repair Act ?

It's overdue already.

Source
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th September 2012, 11:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Right To Repair Act - coming to India soon ?

High time there was some action/movement on this front against the auto makers. They have had a 'free ride' as in no accountability.

Right to repair kind of act would be welcome in my view!
Old 30th September 2012, 12:22   #3
MHG
BHPian

Auto companies try and lock customers to their own service centres even after the expiry of the warranty period just to milk them more and more. The Right to Repair Act shall indeed be most welcome if its implemented in India.
Old 30th September 2012, 15:03   #4
BHPian

And please pass a Lemon Law as well. It would be nice.
Old 30th September 2012, 17:45   #5
BANNED

Nice Move. Hope this Act gets to see the sunlight and we consumers are saved from the heavy pricing given by the service centres.

Even for a bulb change high labour charges of 70 bucks are added. If asked for Over the Counter (OTC) sale of parts so as to get them fixed outside the comapnies disagree by chanting rules.
Old 30th September 2012, 19:29   #6
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2012 at 13:03.
YashD is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2012, 23:37   #7
BHPian

Is Honda and Skoda listening?
As far as my experience goes these two brands are notorious to sell spares at pocket burning rates. Their such practice should be curbed.
Old 1st October 2012, 06:59   #8
BHPian

I hope the Competition Commission of India sees the unfair practices of these companies and makes it mandatory for the auto companies to make their spares available over the counter for anyone to buy. Of course the car companies will cry hoarse about it, but we as the consumer have a right to buy spares from where we feel we will get our money's worth (and avoid getting robbed blind at the dealerships).
Old 1st October 2012, 08:04   #9
BHPian

I am sure that Ford, VW, Skoda are in the list. Just the other day, I was having a chat with one of the guys at an FNG, and they said it was 'impossible' to source spares from Ford since they dont sell it outside, and then charge a premium on it if we go to their ASC.

Maruti and Hyundai lead the way in this matter, their spares are available pretty much to everyone. On the charges, I think they will walk away scot-free, the law enforcement being not powerful enough.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 16:37   #10
BANNED

Some quips from the senior management when queried about the high prices of spares:

General Motors: “ Spare Parts may be cheaper outside but that’s because they are not genuine and offer neither a guarantee or warranty.”

Toyota Kirloskar: “Spare parts of similar quality are sold at similar prices at both the authorized and unauthorized service shops.”

Mahindra & Mahindra: "Our manpower and investments cannot be compared with that of third party players. One has to see the value being offered."

Maruti Suzuki: “We ensure that performance is maintained as per company standards, while outside no such control is exercised."
Old 1st October 2012, 16:47   #11
BHPian

Absolutely required. Not only should this proposed law cover cost of spares, but also the unit size packaging of spares. For example, if a right hand rear view mirror gets damaged, they should replace only that and not force a change as a pair, unless the engineering design requires all parts be replaced in the interests of safety and quality!
Old 1st October 2012, 17:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

Very good move. It's high time its implemented in India. I was shocked to see the service bill of my i20 crdi last week. Hyundai has increased the diesel filter cost by 1000 bucks. 6 months back it was 700 and now its 1700. The SA couldn't give any justification for this increase in price. There should be a rule to check this kind of daylight robbery.
Old 1st October 2012, 17:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

A survey was done quite sometime back that a 6L car if assembled at home by buying the parts individually in the market would cost 14L !

All manufacturers don't have a huge profit just by selling a car in the showroom. The margin is quite less thanks to the tax, transportation, dealer cuts, advertisements, etc. Their main income comes from the after sales like selling of parts (majorly), servicing and labor costs, etc. This is one of the main reasons that manufacturers aim at having a larger market share, since that would also boil down to their backend incomes increasing.
Old 1st October 2012, 17:25   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Maruti and Hyundai lead the way in this matter, their spares are available pretty much to everyone.
Maruti is also not willing to sell spares Over the Counter. We have to open job card and get the repairs done which include labour + VAT and the cost raises up. The example I had given in my previous post was of Maruti only. Even to change a bulb I had to open up a job card. When I asked that I would fit it myself then the service advisor says that the warranty would lapse and repairs must be done only at the A.S.S.

Ridiculous.
Old 1st October 2012, 22:32   #15
gemi_kk

Is there a Customer friendly company?
Skoda, VW, Ford, Hyundai, Maruti,honda, toyota, HM, Fiat are not at all in the list.

Isnt there a good automobile company in india, which is customer centric rather than profit making company.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks