Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Tata Manza Club Class! Climate Control, Leather Seats, Touchscreen ICE and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I am surprised to see some of the comments in this thread. I don't see anything exciting in this 75ps Manza. Wouldn't it be too much of strain on the engine for a car that weighs 1210 kgs?
We should wait for the reviews, but I don't think there would be an issue in city drive-ability. The VGT with additional horses come handy on the highway but within the city limits (for a city commuter) there shouldn't be a problem.

Among the Duster 85ps and the 110ps, the 85ps has less turbo lag and better city drive ability whereas the 110ps has better highway performance!
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:08   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Manza Club Class! Climate Control, Leather Seats, Touchscreen ICE and more

Quote:
I am surprised to see some of the comments in this thread. I don't see anything exciting in this 75ps Manza. Wouldn't it be too much of strain on the engine for a car that weighs 1210 kgs?
+1 ! I had the same thought. On the other hand, if it was the Manza CS, we could have expected some reduction in the weight. Doesn't look this is a CS version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
...Among the Duster 85ps and the 110ps, the 85ps has less turbo lag and better city drive ability whereas the 110ps has better highway performance!
We can't compare the K9K engine & 1.3 MJD in terms of driveability. The 75 PS version does have quite some turbo lag and this is going to be a PAIN in the city! On the other hand the 85 PS K9K engine is one of the best to drive in a city.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:18   #33
BHPian

While the addition of features is more than welcome, something definitely needs to be done about that afterthought boxy rear which is quite at odds with the rest of the car. A sloping curvy derriere is probably the better option, even at the expense of practicality.
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:18   #34
BHPian

While the addition of features is more than welcome, something definitely needs to be done about that afterthought boxy rear which is quite at odds with the rest of the car. A sloping curvy derriere is probably the better option, even at the expense of practicality.
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:08   #35
BHPian

There is no change in the manza engine ..it will be the same 90ps quadrajet.

75ps unit in manza is not been planned even by tml. that is kept may be for manza CS , planned for 2013 mid launch.
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Introducing a 75PS in a Manza that already has a 90PS model, not sure of the rationale
The rationale here is to lower the prices to lure corporate, fleet buyers and also price conscious junta who may not feel the need for the extra 15PS. Just look at the sales of Dzire(75PS) vis-a-vis Linea, Manza, SX4 (90PS), all put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Not sure if this has been asked and answered on the thread but the host of additions to the feature list will be available on the 90ps model starting 16th Oct'12 as well right?
Bro, 75PS will only be available on base variant. All other variants will continue to have 90BHP motor along with the additions as mentioned.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
We can't compare the K9K engine & 1.3 MJD in terms of driveability. The 75 PS version does have quite some turbo lag and this is going to be a PAIN in the city! On the other hand the 85 PS K9K engine is one of the best to drive in a city.
Swift Dzire is close to 1100Kgs and has been supported by 75PS motor all this long and look how well its doing!

I agree that the vehicle will be strained but such decision are purely market based. 75BHP motor will not only bring down costs heavily but is also easy on the pockets in terms of efficiency. Huge tick boxes from indian perspective.

Come to think of it, Altis Diesel, Fluence, Dzire, and hordes of other vehicles on road are severely under-powered for their segment and weight and some of them are churning out decent numbers simply because they appeal to price conscious.
akhilesh51 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:12   #37
BHPian

Are these cosmetics going to help Tatas to increase the sales volume of Manza? I have my own doubts.
Old 2nd October 2012, 23:46   #38
BHPian

I recently sat in a Manza which was a couple years - a top end variant. Let's just say, the Manza doesn't age well. It is almost driven exclusively by the driver of an old aunt who takes her for walks to local gardens and runs errands in the vicinity. But the locks and knobs had become loose. There were parts of the plastic which were sticking out like stubble on some parts of the car. I don't quite get it - how much difference would it make to the Tata bottomline to use better quality plastics? I mean they really don't need to re-invent the wheel. They just need to source the plastic from the people who supply it to Suzuki and Hyundai. What stops them? And I hope this issue has been addressed in the updated Manza because it is one heck of a roomy car. If you were being driven around, this is probably the smartest car to get in India (along side the Scala/Sunny siblings) because of the comfort it provides. And if the car is nicked by those autos, cabs , and the bikes from hell - it won't leave a burning hole in your pocket.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:29   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious
I recently sat in a Manza which was a couple years - a top end variant. Let's just say, the Manza doesn't age well. It is almost driven exclusively by the driver of an old aunt who takes her for walks to local gardens and runs errands in the vicinity. But the locks and knobs had become loose. There were parts of the plastic which were sticking out like stubble on some parts of the car. I don't quite get it - how much difference would it make to the Tata bottomline to use better quality plastics? I mean they really don't need to re-invent the wheel. They just need to source the plastic from the people who supply it to Suzuki and Hyundai. What stops them? And I hope this issue has been addressed in the updated Manza because it is one heck of a roomy car. If you were being driven around, this is probably the smartest car to get in India (along side the Scala/Sunny siblings) because of the comfort it provides. And if the car is nicked by those autos, cabs , and the bikes from hell - it won't leave a burning hole in your pocket.
Add to this, manza doesn't feel as planted as sunny. Maybe its the suspension or its relatively tall stance, but the body roll at rear is visible. I own manza and didn't notice this till I was at drivers seat. Recently I sat at the rear, and the bounciness makes one uncomfortable. Now I realize why the ladies at my home feel sick on a long journey.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
The rationale here is to lower the prices to lure corporate, fleet buyers and also price conscious junta who may not feel the need for the extra 15PS.
Agree with you on price conscious junta however doesn't TML want to get out of the tax-image which is hurting them. From what I see, adding the extra package would in itself be a positioning strategy. So why reduce engine power?
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Add to this, manza doesn't feel as planted as sunny. Maybe its the suspension or its relatively tall stance, but the body roll at rear is visible. I own manza and didn't notice this till I was at drivers seat. Recently I sat at the rear, and the bounciness makes one uncomfortable. Now I realize why the ladies at my home feel sick on a long journey.
I would beg to differ with both of you with regards to interior and planted nature. It all boils down to the person who is actually owning the vehicle and driving it. If you dont care for your car then even a Merc will not age properly. I have owned a Manza for a year now (22k kms completed), done numerous highway drives over good to worst roads and only had one interior cleaning from 3M but all the switches, nobs, dashboard etc still look and feel new. I guess its only fair for people owning a particular vehicle to comment on the same, no hard feelings

In terms of suspension, yes its softly sprung but it can take highway curves at 120 without a hitch, yes body roll is there but it again all boils down to the driver who is taking the turn. Now my car has a RD box and the car has turned into a totally different machine. It has become the white annihilator. (Apologies Mobike for taking your cars name )

A great move by Tata to refresh the Manza it was long time coming. I guess Mr. Slym is already at work in TML after taking over as the MD.

@akhilesh: Any ideas if the ICE HU will be available as a spare for older owners of the Manza?
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Now my car has a RD box and the car has turned into a totally different machine.
Hi,

Could you please tell me what is RD box and what kind of performance improvement you are getting now as compared to default tuning?
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:56   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Hi,

Could you please tell me what is RD box and what kind of performance improvement you are getting now as compared to default tuning?
Read it here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2918187
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I recently sat in a Manza which was a couple years - a top end variant. Let's just say, the Manza doesn't age well. It is almost driven exclusively by the driver of an old aunt who takes her for walks to local gardens and runs errands in the vicinity. But the locks and knobs had become loose. There were parts of the plastic which were sticking out like stubble on some parts of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I have owned a Manza for a year now (22k kms completed), done numerous highway drives over good to worst roads and only had one interior cleaning from 3M but all the switches, nobs, dashboard etc still look and feel new.
I'm guessing the manza invidious sat in would've been a 1st gen with 2 tone beige interiors, unlike your Manza, motomaverick.
I'd ridden an abused 1st gen long ago, and felt the interior quality & condition fit individous's description to a certain extent, unlike newer manzas with black/purple + beige interiors, which I feel, have decent interior quality.
Old 4th October 2012, 11:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
I'm guessing the manza invidious sat in would've been a 1st gen with 2 tone beige interiors, unlike your Manza, motomaverick.
I'd ridden an abused 1st gen long ago, and felt the interior quality & condition fit individous's description to a certain extent, unlike newer manzas with black/purple + beige interiors, which I feel, have decent interior quality.
Yes, it was bought just when Tata released the Manza. Good to know the newer generation has better quality interiors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks