Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:11   #61
BHPian

Re: September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Also good to see Duster clocking some good numbers something that has been eluding the Renault / Nissan twins for a long time and also a star performer in the names of M & M who are growing from strength to strength.
Just to add some perspective: the Duster's monthly sales have already overtaken those of the Scorpio and Safari which were the stalwarts of the entry SUV category, as well as of the VW Vento, Skoda Rapid and the Nissan Sunny which seemed well established at a similar price point. Also Renault have already exceeded Honda & VW in total monthly sales which itself is an achievement!
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:33   #62
BHPian

The interiors of Etios twins have already been updates I guess! Why isn't Toyota promoting about it? According to dealers and sources the quality has been improved. Then why is Toyota silent about it? They should at least do a press release or is the manufacturer planning something?
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:09   #63
BHPian

Hi,
Terrific analysis as usual. This is easily the most eagerly awaited post every month, apart from my other passion, Top Gear magazine.

Skoda fabia is practically never advertised, so much so i practically stumbled upon it while looking for other cars to buy. It was cheaper than swift then!!! Pity Skoda's marketing is non existant, for a terrific performer.

Fiat makes the sexiest looking cars, but probably not the most practical. Indians value space and practicality, i think Punto somehow fails in that department. I have often wondered whether Fiat should revive their 1100D /Premier Padmini type models for India, I wouldnt be surprised if they are a big hit even now. Fiat certainly needs a larger, volume based products, not eccentric ones like Fiat 500. Like Nissan reviving Datsun brand, Fiat should renew ties with Premier and relaunch cheaper volume based products.

Duster is everywhere on Calicut roads, and am not surprised. I think Duster's pricing is killer, because a better product like Yeti hardly sells comparatively. I think other manufacturers should take a leaf out of Renault's pricing policy. Of course, the product is good too, just price wouldnt make it sell.

Honda dealers are just playing pricey, or else Brio would have sold more. With diesle prices going up, i think Jazz will start seeing more numbers, deservedly. I think Jazz should be their top car in sales, somewhat like City.

Happy at Figo's strong performance. I think their aggressive marketing and easy finance options help. New Fiesta was priced incorrectly, and simply doesnt make sense. Fiesta classic's pricing appears more sensible, hence the higher numbers than its cousin.

Toyota's Etios siblings were never value for money in my opinion, and were obviously cheap looking. Most initial sales were driven by prelaunch marketing, and Toyota badge. Unfortunately, now the negative vibes are taking the toll on its sales, and hopefully sales will improve after people are convinced of their quality again.

Will Skoda's citigo change its fortunes? Pricing would be the key.

Durga Prasan
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:56   #64
BHPian

Well well well, very interesting month indeed. The petrol only hatches (Alto, Wagon R, i10) have picked up sales significantly, I wonder what is the exact cause for that, because the diesel hike was towards the end of the month and it cannot possibly impact the buying decision so quickly as well. Only last month i10 was at its lowest if I am not mistaken and look where it is this month, probably one of the best month for it.

Bolero is going from strength to strength. Me and my friend always ask this question to each other "Who buys such a lot of Boleros". But when I travel out to rural areas I get my answer its so popular in small towns and villages and especially in states like Bihar/UP, not sure why. Also the Police departments are doing their bit to contribute here as well, irrespective of state! A similar analogy can be thought of for Omni's and Eeco's.

The consistent sales of XUV shows how hungry India was for a vehicle in this segment in that price point. I wont be surprised if Duster follows suit, irrespective of the dealer experience just like XUV is selling irrespective of the niggles.

The Renault SA had told me their next target is VW, after overtaking Skoda. Looks like they struck a double whammy overtaking Honda as well. This shows how even one good product can change your fortunes. Needs to be seen if they can keep it up with good dealer network and A.S.S. The latest news of the price hike of Duster is not a good sign. It would have been OK if the introductary price was atractive, which was not the case. As others have pointed out Duster's sales has eaten into many vehicles, Innova, Xylo being the prominent ones, possibly sedans such as Sunny, Vento, Rapid as well, which was expected so to speak.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:17   #65
BHPian

Hi GTO,
Do we have any data available on petrol and diesel variants?
Also, it would be interesting to see the variant bifurcation of atleast the top 10 selling models for the month.
Both the above mentioned data points will throw interesting insights in this analysis.
Thanks.

Last edited by an10 : 3rd October 2012 at 18:20. Reason: Formatting
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why few BHPians suggest to pull the plug on Santro which is doing impressive numbers if you take into account performance of Spark, A-Star, Estilo, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Linea numbers might go up next month with the release of the new models , but i am not surprised they are where they are - for example the T-jets are simply not available , not even for a TD
I hope if you were so keen on T-Jet then should've been following this thread. The posts after this explains for lack of TD car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2877324
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:34   #67
BHPian

I have always felt like asking - Can we please have numbers for Manza and Vista separated out of Indigo and Indica respectively. Those two are totally different products and need to now how well a Tata car is doing with a Fiat Quadrajet.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:12   #68
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful analysis and reports GTO ! Innova on top 10 losers list! Could it be Duster + XUV effect? I am sure Renault is having a blast with Duster - 32% increase this month
Old 4th October 2012, 08:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Excellent report GTO.

The Hyundais are having a ball in the field. Their products seem to be consistent in sales when compared to other competitors.

Nice to see the new Elantra eating up the competition and also the Verna even if as per most people isnt a car for enthusiastic driving is eating up the sales chart compared to Rapid and Vento

It would be interesting to see if Duster can beat the 4K+/month consistent XUV500 in the coming months.

Thanks for this report
Ours is a market where blings, vfm, creature comfort and styling sells. Hyundai is perhaps the only company to understand the mass pulse and they provide what is required. They refresh their lineup quite frequently to keep the sales up. They don't hesitate to pull the models out of market if it isn't selling.

When some of very few friends critize Verna for its handling, I show them this report. Excellent handlers like linea or new Fiesta or Laura or cedia sells around 10% of what Verna does. So who is laughing at the end? It's Hyundai. :-)
Old 4th October 2012, 09:23   #70
BHPian

Duster is going to see good numbers in the next few months as Renault delivers the initial bookings. We have to see if it can sustain the numbers six months down the line!
Old 4th October 2012, 10:07   #71
Senior - BHPian

My take on this:
  1. Once the Alto800 hits the floors this month, it'll hit Eon the most; Nano is more or less going to settle down at 3.5 K numbers unless they bring out the CNG and Diesel variant fast.
  2. A* is keeping export market happy and hence, Maruti is not bothered about it. It is indeed time for a facelift for the car; please launch the JDM A* or kill the product altogether.
  3. Estilo sells at 1K units a month; it is a competitive product but loses out in front of the WagonR; it should be launched with a 3 pot diesel mill. Also, a new advertising campaign should be launched.
  4. I feel, Nissan may not be able to sell the Evalia as many as it hopes too; I checked out the car earlier this week and there are too many negatives that the taxi fellow pointed out; the biggest being the non sliding middble windows. The other factor being, lack of middle row ac. It is a competetive product if Nissan can address these 2 issues quickly. Nissan sales guys have good knowledge of their models; but they do not sound entusiatic in selling the cars; I am still waiting for a call from Ritu Nissan for the TD + Exchange offer for my car.
  5. Renault is doing all the right things now; they should keep the momemtum going. Advertise for Pulse too; Duster ads are disappearing from TV, it should start again to keep the interest alive and ticking.
  6. Tata should kill the Grande, launch the Xenon 3.0 in private registration too; prepone the launch date of the Storme or delay it by a couple of days; Rexton will steal the show otherwise. Vista should come with Manza console now + ACC. Please add Manza colors too.
  7. Fiat should kill the Linea; it is a competetive product; but how much will they make by selling Linea's in 2 digit numbers? Launch ultra low cost cars that people will like to buy; learn from GM. They killed Opel and launched Chevy as a low "maintenance" brand. I am not saying that Fiat is expensive to maintain but, it is the regular maintenance that the technicians are not able to do properly. Launch the Chrysler brand instead of Fiat; Don't keep the same brands in the same showroom; you'll kill both brands together.
  8. GM should bring in the Enjoy fast; this will help them to increase their market share quickly. Use Renault strategy; back to back launches + big time advertising.
  9. Where is Force motors? Are you listening PAL? Any news how many Rio's have been sold after they have been MJDed? This is one car that is doomed after the arrival of Quanto; it was selling in single digits earlier in Tier II cities; but now i doubt it'll sell. Premier may have to add 2 more seats!
  10. Ford oh Ford! Please bring in Ecosport in the first month of 2013 and price it sensibly; my view would be to target Quanto than the Duster. You may start at 6.99 to 8.99 but do not cross that that magical 10.00 Lac mark. Once you price the Ecosport and have foot falls coming into the showroom; reprice the Classic or kill it and bring Fiesta to 6.99 lacs ex showroom mark and advertise.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 11:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Yes i am following that , my point was only that if a company is still picking up orders for a car , then there should be a test drive vehicle readily available , and its not that the dealership does not have it , the problem is that they appear to have only 1 car which services all the dealerships in the Delhi / NCR area and beyond.

I was additionally informed that the driver is a fiat employee so he does not work weekends and hence no chance of a TD taking place currently over holidays

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I wonder why few BHPians suggest to pull the plug on Santro which is doing impressive numbers if you take into account performance of Spark, A-Star, Estilo, etc.

I hope if you were so keen on T-Jet then should've been following this thread. The posts after this explains for lack of TD car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2877324
Old 4th October 2012, 15:48   #73
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawrie View Post
Can someone please clarify - I have never understood why the Tata cars are not split in this monthly analysis by their actual models and always referred to as Indica sisters or something similar. It would be interesting to know how many Manzas sell vs Indigo. After all, Manza is touted by Tatas as the ultimate in luxury!! :-D
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
This has been asked so many times on these threads, but no answer yet. I, too am quite curious to know the split figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
I have always felt like asking - Can we please have numbers for Manza and Vista separated out of Indigo and Indica respectively. Those two are totally different products and need to now how well a Tata car is doing with a Fiat Quadrajet.

Sorry, Tata Motors clubs the Indica + Vista and Indigo + Manza together before releasing the numbers. The only manufacturer to do so BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an10 View Post
Do we have any data available on petrol and diesel variants?
No manufacturer provides the petrol : diesel split.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Audi's on a roll this year. 1011 units dispatched this september.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/16656979.cms

Do we have BMW's numbers? I am eager to see new 3's contributions
Old 4th October 2012, 20:16   #75
BHPian

Can't understand this one thing, why do these premium manufacturers doesn't reveal their sales figure? Just get to know the total units sold by them and that too not about all. I want to know the sales of Volvo. Wanted to know if its improving or is in a decline?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks