Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 21:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak
Estilo sells at 1K units a month; it is a competitive product but loses out in front of the WagonR; it should be launched with a 3 pot diesel mill.
IMO what could work wonders is to do away with the current 5-seater (which is a waste of adevrtising/promotional resources given the low sales) and instead do an Ertiga on the Estilo platform to have a 3rd row of seats and within 4m length to claim excise benefits. Even as a 6-seater in all practicality (though 7-seater technically), I am sure the market would lap it up, since it can be priced quite low. Maybe throw in the 1.2litre K-series for the petrol variant and 1.3DDiS for the diesel.
Old 4th October 2012, 23:53   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
IMO what could work wonders is to do away with the current 5-seater (which is a waste of adevrtising/promotional resources given the low sales) and instead do an Ertiga on the Estilo platform to have a 3rd row of seats and within 4m length to claim excise benefits. Even as a 6-seater in all practicality (though 7-seater technically), I am sure the market would lap it up, since it can be priced quite low. Maybe throw in the 1.2litre K-series for the petrol variant and 1.3DDiS for the diesel.

Good idea. But Maruti, please do that on a Ritz, and bring a Mini Ertiga or Super Ritz, price it around 5-6L for petrol and 6-7L for diesel. Doing this on an Estilo is a waste of time as Estilo is already dead. If not on Ritz, do it on WagonR and plonk the M12 engine from Eeco, and we have a super cheap 6 seater car, but make sure it is not as basic as Eeco.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:14   #78
BHPian

Great stats with excellent compilation!

Also good to see some great performers zooming up the charts and Hyundai getting up some good numbers for their recent launches. Guess the looks change seems to have worked in their benefits.

Also a wake-up call to the laggards like Tata, Fiat, Nissan to do something really innovative to drum up some good numbers.

Guess with the oncoming festive season, everyone would be hoping for some better numbers and more sales in Oct/Nov.

All the best
Old 5th October 2012, 09:36   #79
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the spike in numbers for the WagonR, i20.

Impressive numbers from Innova, XUV and Duster. It amazing how India follows the mature markets in the fascination for UVs. I think compact UVs are going to be a craze in the long run. Small cars better watch out.

Last edited by deetjohn : 5th October 2012 at 09:37. Reason: typo.
Old 5th October 2012, 19:10   #80
BHPian

Thanks GTO, great timing!

I will just chip in my line for Honda...'akal sachmuch ghaas charne gayi hai, kuch ho nahi sakta inka!!'
Old 5th October 2012, 20:47   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post

I will just chip in my line for Honda...'akal sachmuch ghaas charne gayi hai, kuch ho nahi sakta inka!!'
Why do you say so? IMO they are on the right track, with the impending launch of Diesel Brio and also Brio sedan to come soon. These two can shake the market for Honda.

On the other hand, what you wrote is true for Fiat India

Last edited by joslicx : 5th October 2012 at 20:48.
Old 5th October 2012, 20:50   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Good idea. But Maruti, please do that on a Ritz, and bring a Mini Ertiga or Super Ritz, price it around 5-6L for petrol and 6-7L for diesel. Doing this on an Estilo is a waste of time as Estilo is already dead. If not on Ritz, do it on WagonR and plonk the M12 engine from Eeco, and we have a super cheap 6 seater car, but make sure it is not as basic as Eeco.
Sorry, but isn't that what the ertiga already is? Well almost. An MUV based on the stretched swift platform and the Ritz is based on the older swift. So a super Ritz may not actually turn out much different from ertiga.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 22:14   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Why do you say so? IMO they are on the right track, with the impending launch of Diesel Brio and also Brio sedan to come soon. These two can shake the market for Honda.

On the other hand, what you wrote is true for Fiat India
I say so simply because all the idiots at the Honda Showrooms seem to be bothered about only two cars, one being the City and the other the Brio. The market has already shaken Honda!! The Jazz, Civic, CRV and the Accord dont exist for them and honestly, they havent innovated anything, they are not bothered by the numbers(2.5% of the market share is extra ordinary isnt it?!) Solely relying on legendary status is not enough these days! Forget legendary, iconic is the correct word.

And now they are replying when the competitors have beaten them by a mile. I feel bad, but cant help but pity!
Old 6th October 2012, 00:02   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
I say so simply because all the idiots at the Honda Showrooms seem to be bothered about only two cars, one being the City and the other the Brio. The market has already shaken Honda!! The Jazz, Civic, CRV and the Accord dont exist for them and honestly, they havent innovated anything, they are not bothered by the numbers(2.5% of the market share is extra ordinary isnt it?!) Solely relying on legendary status is not enough these days! Forget legendary, iconic is the correct word.

And now they are replying when the competitors have beaten them by a mile. I feel bad, but cant help but pity!
Well Honda is missing diesel engines. The name of the game in India is Diesel now. And its not their fault really. Nobody could have predicted the market here would pan out like it has. Only 2 years back petrol was selling for half the price today and was still OK for most people to buy. But now times have changed.

Also buying patterns are changing fast. People are preferring compact MUV//SUV type of vehicles (like Ertiga or Duster) rather than sedans in the space Honda used to operate (8-20L space) thanks to the wonderful road infrastructure we have in India. So they need a compact SUV/MUV fast and Diesel engines very fast.

Once they bring the diesel engine in Brio and get that compact sedan based on Brio they will be back in the game. But I think they should also get a MUV or SUV soon. I still believe their technological prowess and the tremendous goodwill they have here will see them thru eventually.

Also remember that for most car companies its only 1 or 2 models that could be called successful. For Toyota it is only Innova and Fortuner. For Renault its Duster. For VW only Polo and Vento. For Ford only the Figo. etc.
Old 6th October 2012, 00:15   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.
While one may quibble about the segmentation done by you, the manner in which you have collated the numbers makes the big picture jump out with a lot of clarity. Very well thought through.
RS_DEL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 00:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
The interiors of Etios twins have already been updates I guess! Why isn't Toyota promoting about it? According to dealers and sources the quality has been improved. Then why is Toyota silent about it? They should at least do a press release or is the manufacturer planning something?
Yes, it's a mystery what Toyota is doing about these two cars. Both are actually very dependable no-nonsense cars, but I think the perception is they should be run as taxis. Have seen more Etios as call cabs in Bombay than individuals using it. More to do with perception, I believe, which Toyota needs to change.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:21   #87

whats the status of Premier Rio, i noticed a few of them on the streets of Mumbai recently?
Old 6th October 2012, 08:30   #88
BHPian

Sad to see this sorry state of Linea. It's the best-looking car in its category,by a wide margin. I really don't understand what Fiat India is thinking. If they are not serious about doing business here, at least be upfront about it. And if they are, it's certainly not showing. Same was the case with Optra Magnum.

Both great cars but let down by their manufacturers' step-motherly treatment.
Old 6th October 2012, 08:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Yes, it's a mystery what Toyota is doing about these two cars. Both are actually very dependable no-nonsense cars, but I think the perception is they should be run as taxis. Have seen more Etios as call cabs in Bombay than individuals using it. More to do with perception, I believe, which Toyota needs to change.
Ha ha. In any other country, people would be lining up to buy the cars which were being preferred by cabbies. Idea being that cabbies would always want no-nonsense, low-maintenance, highly fuel-efficient, and hassle-free cars. But here we have the opposite problem. I think it's more to do with the image of the cab drivers rather than the car themselves. I mean, who wants to be reminded of a rude, arrogant SOB in white uniform every time one looks at a car. Not me
bansal98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 10:21   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
Ha ha. In any other country, people would be lining up to buy the cars which were being preferred by cabbies. Idea being that cabbies would always want no-nonsense, low-maintenance, highly fuel-efficient, and hassle-free cars. But here we have the opposite problem. I think it's more to do with the image of the cab drivers rather than the car themselves. I mean, who wants to be reminded of a rude, arrogant SOB in white uniform every time one looks at a car. Not me
+1. You are so right. Cars run as cabbies are preferred as personal cars the world over.
Here the option would be choosing a colour for your car which the cabbies won't touch with a barge pole and not to wear the white uniform while driving.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks