Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 10:06   #106
BHPian

Re: September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Diesel car sales surpass 50% of the total car sales
  • As per an article in Economic Times today, the sale of diesel cars for the period Apr-Sep'12 stands at 56% of the total car sales, a la Europe.
  • Growth attributed to a massive 56% spike in sale of utility vehicles - I believe the vehicles from Mahindra stable, the Ertiga and Innova have a major role to play in this growth
  • The article also mentions about possibility of 1.1L diesel engine in the i10. Honda Brio diesel (& sedan) and Nano diesel are also mentioned, in addition to the soon to be launched Chevrolet Sail U-VA.
Following is the article from today's Economic Times:

Hatchbacks Gear up to Ride the Diesel Wave

LIJEE PHILIP & KETAN THAKKAR MUMBAI

In the first week of November, the Chevrolet Sail U-VA premium diesel hatchback from General Motors (GM) will hit Indian roads, marking the Detroit-based carmaker’s entry into a segment currently dominated by Tata Indica, Hyundai i20, Ford Figo and Maruti Swift. This will be GM’s second small car running on the cheaper fuel, after the Beat diesel.

GM is not alone in shoring up its presence in the diesel segment. In the next 8-12 months, Hyundai will come out with a diesel version of the i10 while Honda will make its debut in this space with a Brio diesel hatchback and entry-level sedan. And, around that time, a vendor close to the project expects Tata Motors to be ready with an 800cc diesel engine for its ultra low-cost car, the Nano.

According to several different vendors ET spoke to, these new diesel cars between them are likely to bring in an additional 1 lakh units of diesel capacity in the next fiscal year. This fresh burst of dieselisation in the segment matters the most as it has the potential to put the industry back on the double-digit growth trajectory against just 6% in the first half of the current fiscal year. Even that growth was courtesy a massive 56% spike in sales of utility vehicles; sales of passenger cars on their own actually declined 0.27% in the six months to September 2012. The sudden burst of diesel hatchback projects comes at a time petrol car sales have fallen 20% even as diesel car sales have grown 42% during April-September.

The share of diesel models in the overall passenger vehicle space rose to 56% in the first half of fiscal year 2013 from 42% a year ago; in contrast, petrol cars accounted for 44%, down from 58% in April-September 2012. The share of diesel cars in the overall pie has been climbing rapidly, from 15% in fiscal 2008 to 21%, 25%, 36% and 47% in the following four years till fiscal year 2012.

“The diesel Sail UV-A gives us a legitimate presence in a growing segment and we expect it to help us grow our footprint,” said Lowell Paddock, managing director, GM India. The Chevrolet Sail U-VA will run on Fiat’s multi-jet 1.3-litre diesel engine.

The small diesel cars will create new price points in the sub-Rs 5 lakh range, a bracket in which there are not too many diesel car options. The Tata Nano diesel, to be powered by an 800cc twin-cylinder common rail diesel engine, is expected to create a new entry-level diesel car segment. Hyundai's i10 diesel with a 1.1-litre engine, which currently powers the i20 sold in the European market, will be positioned between the Nano diesel and premium diesel hatchbacks like the Swift and i20.

The roughly 50% differential between diesel and petrol is one obvious reason for the craze for diesel cars. At the same time, diesel technology has progressed, reducing the cost of ownership and getting rid of some of the inconveniences associated with the fuel (including poor fuel efficiency and environment-unfriendliness).

“The technologically advanced diesel engines that offer better durability and mileage are leading to a change in the mindsets of customers,” says Rakesh Srivastava, who heads sales & marketing at Hyundai.

A section of analysts is upbeat that this burst of diesel launches will do its bit to revive the auto market. “New launches per se do help in creating some excitement; the diesel models will generate even more interest. With these new launches and an expected easing in interest rates, we expect the passenger car market to grow 12-13% in the next fiscal.” says Deepesh Rathore, managing director, HIS Automotive, a consulting firm.

The key to success will be pricing, particularly at the entry level where consumers are even more price-sensitive. “Affordability will be an issue here and that’s one challenge the industry will have to tackle. A price difference of even Rs 20,000-30,000 is very critical, especially in the sub-Rs 4 lakh bracket. The initial cost of acquisition, cost of maintenance along with fuel price are the key factors that influence buying decisions,” says a senior official at a multinational carmaker who did not want to be named. That may explain why a few carmakers are not as sanguine as some others about diesel small cars being the harbinger of a turnaround. “The new diesel models will definitely bring in incremental volumes, but they may not be enough to result in the next bull run for the passenger car market,” says Jnaneswar Sen, senior VP for sales & marketing at Honda Cars India. Sen seems to more optimisitic about another avatar of the Brio that Honda is preparing to launch — an entry-level sedan.

Old 31st October 2012, 08:36   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat concentrates now on engine supplies.
The JV company will supply 100,000 diesel engines to Maruti Suzuki and a few thousand to Premier, besides exporting 50,000 petrol engines, adding that this will be in addition to the engines being churned out for Tata and Fiat cars.

Quote:
Italian carmaker Fiat's India unit is set to supply over the next 12-18 months more than 200,000 engines, four to five times the number of cars that it plans to produce and sell during this period.

The move will help the company's joint venture with Tata Motors curtail its losses, cars.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17027585.cms
Old 31st October 2012, 09:36   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Dampened spirits at Skoda. The Rapid is such a well-priced all-rounded sedan with a fast, frugal diesel engine. It’s not moving off showroom floors fast enough, despite having the potential to consistently do 3,000 a month, if not 4,000. Meanwhile, the Yeti has a bright moment, outselling even the Laura last month! The luxo-barge Superb maintains its position as the king of the D2-sedan segment.
Will the gamble of Skoda to reduce discounts as reported in Economic times for this festive season work?

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17013899.cms
Old 31st October 2012, 10:57   #109
gemi_kk

Today, being 31st, End of month. Now the wait has started for another Monthly sales chart.

@Volkman, i see no updates from your side for this month sales.

My guess.
I havent seen many T/R cars on roads in Hyderabad. so sales are comparitively less for this month.

Maruti gained significant market in a new form called Alto 800. Seen many on roads.

Swifts were down this month. Heard it from one of sales person. Not sure though. This is in hyd. Dzire is rocking a bit.

Duster. Sales man with the same old dull face. Cant give you a car for the next 4-5 months.
Company is not making The base diesel versions. you need to wait till April. Planning to move out to suzuki
Salesmen: Why dont you take Scala? I said seriously. Just SHUT UP. It has to be a Duster. if not, Nothing from your company.

Vento: Sales down.. same is the case with Rapid.

Some other people from Showrooms say "dusheera hasnt been such good as they were expecting. The sales were not at all as expected". The sales must have rocked in cities like Mumbai and Delhi. just a guess.

Those were my thoughts. Please feel free to correct/update with more info.

@GTO: The waiting has started. please try to provide the charts in time. I know its difficult to get info from many companies, Consolidate, compile and then post on the same day. but, the wait..... oh damn.

Old 31st October 2012, 11:13   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki announces the financial results for the quarter ending September, 2012.

Q2: Jul-Sep (2012-13 Vs 2011-12)The Company registered Net Sales (net of excise) of Rs. 80,701 million, an increase of 8.5 per cent over the same period in the previous year.

Net Profit during the quarter stood at Rs 2,275 million, a drop of 5.4 per cent.

The growth in Net Sales was on account of sales of new model Ertiga and enhanced export realizations.
The market showed a marked preference for diesel cars, while demand for petrol vehicles dropped sharply. Despite scaling up production of diesel cars, the Company has a customer wait list of nearly 1.25 lakh for its diesel vehicles. To counter subdued demand for petrol cars, the Company enhanced sales promotion measures that also impacted profitability.

Source: Suzuki

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st October 2012 at 11:42.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:34   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Here you go for the first of Oct sales!

Car market leader Maruti Suzuki India Limited sold a total of 103,108 units in October 2012. This includes 7,106 units for export.

M800, WagonR,Alto, A* 42233
Swift, Estilo , Ritz 22459
Dzire 14389
SX4 695
Kizashi 35
Ertiga 7000+
Omni. Eeco 8791

Source:Suzuki

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2012 at 16:25. Reason: Quoted post deleted
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 12:07   #112
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Dzire 14389
SX4 695
Kizashi 35
Ertiga 7000+
Omni. Eeco 8791

Now i am going mad. 1 Lakh plus vehicles from MS in one month. Two months ago, i think, the volumes were half of whats being mentionied here. I know that manesar was affected at that point, but still their average is around 75-85K per month.

Swift Estilo and Ritz together sold 22456. Decent improvement. I guess Swift would have contributed well over here.

Old 1st November 2012, 12:18   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
:Shocked: Now i am going mad.
You could get further shocked when seeing their Nov sales figures as MS has very strong bookings for the festive season!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 12:20   #114
BANNED

Quote:
So, the new Alto sales will be around 25 - 28K for October, IMO.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:52   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Car market leader Maruti Suzuki India Limited sold a total of 103,108 units in October 2012. This includes 7,106 units for export.

Dzire 14389
SX4 695
Kizashi 35
Ertiga 7000+
Omni. Eeco 8791

Happy to see Kizashi sales zooming past single digits and how. 35 is actually a good number considering the fact that they were negligible/ almost negligible sales in previous months.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:39   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford's Domestic sales decline!

Car maker Ford India today reported a marginal increase in total sales at 10,948 units in October.
The company had sold 10,906 units in the same month last year, Ford India said in a statement.

Ford's domestic sales, however, declined by 6.35 per cent to 7,577 units in the reporting month, from 8,091 units in the same month last year, it added.

Source: ET
Old 1st November 2012, 14:13   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Auto major Mahindra & Mahindra today reported 28.74% increase in total sales at 53,438 units in October, its highest ever in a month.

The passenger vehicles segment (which includes the UVs and Verito) registered an increase of 43.59% at 26,932 units against 18,756 units in the year-ago month

Source: BS
Old 1st November 2012, 15:34   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Now i am going mad. 1 Lakh plus vehicles from MS in one month. Two months ago, i think, the volumes were half of whats being mentionied here. I know that manesar was affected at that point, but still their average is around 75-85K per month.

Swift Estilo and Ritz together sold 22456. Decent improvement. I guess Swift would have contributed well over here.
It is not just the Swift but also the Dzire , Ertiga and the newly launched Alto 800. MSIL stock touched its 52 week high today.
Old 1st November 2012, 15:45   #119
BHPian

Hyundai India sales are up by 21 pc in October.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17046734.cms

Surprisingly enough the Elantra sales have come down by almost 13% over September 2012.

Source: Economic Times website.

Last edited by nilambuj : 1st November 2012 at 15:45. Reason: additional data
Old 1st November 2012, 16:14   #120
BHPian

Yet another dissappointing month for Tata Motors.
Oct sales at 21119 nos with Nano managing only 4004 nos.
IMO its Alto 800's impact.

Source
http://tatamotors.com/media/press-releases.php?id=811
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks