Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Nice analysis on one of the most awaited threads on the forum. Duster is a block buster for Renault. Fiat, well I think; it is now beyond repair. I like the Punto and Linea, but it seems not many are impressed by these two cars. Skoda Rapid sales are surprising, considering Rapid is an under-the-skin Vento; I had thought it would have decent sales. Are the Bolero sales because of rural areas taking in more of them?

Now I am awaiting the official Chevrolet Sail and Mahindra Quanto reviews to see how they fare!
Old 2nd October 2012, 21:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Maruti is back in business Wagon R & Dzire back in the volume segment. Refreshed Ritz seems to have a good run in fact the best till date I guess. Tata seriously needs a new model to rejuvenate its sales numbers, flogging Indica/Vista is not going to help. Ford Figo is the sole warrior for Ford , new Fiesta is dead what a pricing disaster.

Ertiga and Duster seems to be eating into the 8-12 lac sedan segment, as customers seems to like more interior space and seating options. Innova , Verna down trend may be Ertiga/Duster effect my guess.

New Camry seems to be dead on-arrival bound to happen thanks to the steep pricing and lack of safety features. Etios /Liva need a serious interior make over now , Q factor alone will not help.

Honda City seems to gain some traction however a not a great show by Jazz and Brio. GM sales seems to be losing all steam, Beat only seems to be fighting the trend for GM hope Sail will get some wind of sales.
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:26   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Has there been any price correction with the launch of refreshed Ritz?
Yes there has been a upward revision of around 20k for the new one.
But the new ZDI version makes an excellent vfm package. Also it has the new dZire - 23.2 Km/L engine
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:43   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Time has come for Hyundai to phase out the Santro and Accent.
All in all a good month for auto industry IMO.
Santro is still doing decent 3k numbers per month and who knows it can become a cash cow for Hyundai. Why kill it now?
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakasse View Post
Santro is still doing decent 3k numbers per month and who knows it can become a cash cow for Hyundai. Why kill it now?
True - but it also might be cannibalizing a lot from its younger brother Eon. It is clear that Eon numbers do not put a dent in Alto sales.
Old 2nd October 2012, 22:57   #36
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
True - but it also might be cannibalizing a lot from its younger brother Eon. It is clear that Eon numbers do not put a dent in Alto sales.
In the short term, that might not be a bad thing. I would think that Hyundai's profits on the Santro would be much more than the Eon.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 23:54   #37
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the Yeti doing well.
Has India finally woken up to the virtues of a truly good car or is this merely a blip on the radar?
Have to watch this trend.
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:00   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody knows how are the Germans placed against each other? Audi seems to have another fantastic month with record sales. However the numbers are not revealed yet I guess. Would love to watch the trio's number games!
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:05   #39
BHPian

GTO, you rock buddy. Was waiting for this eagerly. Excellent post and analysis like always.

Good to see Maruti Suzuki back on track and Bit suprised to see that hike in diesel prices has benefitted Wagon R so much that it crossed 16k mark! Swift and Dzire back on track. Ertiga going strong Eeco's sales too boosted up. Maruti should promote A-Star aggressively and I think its sales will decline a lot after the launch of Alto 800.

Hyundai had a great month, all cars sold at decent numbers. I10's sales improved slightly though Verna showed a decline. Santa Fe is a great car and is doing decent. Disappointed to see Sonata not getting much customers Hyundai plonk in the diesel engine man! I would say they should discontinue the old Accent no point keeping it in the market now. Santro too is dated now though good to see that it still doing more than 3000 units. Excellent show by Hyundai Elantra I always knew that its going to yop the charts like Verna.

Chevrolet and Toyota both had a terrible month. Corolla and Cruze recorded negative sales and is declining further. Well, Elantra's is the nee all- rounder king in this segment it seems. U-VA, Spark and Aveo is dead. Lets see what the updated Spark can do, good to see beat's sales improving thanks to its awesome pricing and a good diesel engine. The UVs put up a good show with decent sales. Though Innova's sales are declining but great that the sales of Tavera is increasing thanks to the fleet owners! Camry and Captiva failed to show up a decent show the main reason behind that is the pricing.

Honda had a negative month. Except City No other car could do anything. Both the hatches failed to do anything and well no point talking about The rest!

Fiat well, why are they in the market! 59 units of Linea! Seriously disappointing what is Fiat doing?

Excellent figures of Duster, Renault did a great job and a good show by Scala. Would be interesting to see what happens to it in future.

Nissan had a decent month but seems like people are avoiding Sunny and going for Scala. Want to see next month's sales for conclusion. Micra too had a decent month, teana and x-trail doesn't have a market at all.

Ford had a good month why isn't the New Fiesta selling even after the less prices! Why aren't they promoting the car after reducing the price? Dealers too aren't showing any kind of interest in it and many don't even have a display car.

Tata lost the position to Mahindra and well Safari's sales declined. Nano too showed a decline which is a bit sad. The vista and indigo siblings showed up a good month.

Mahindra has established itself in the market and is performing excellent and as GTO said its really interesting to see that a 15 lakh UV is ruling the market in India! Scorpio needs an update now but good to see the sales of Bolero increasing.

Missing Audi in the list, heard its sales crossed the 1k mark! Which is seriously interesting and a great news!

Mitsubishi well no point talking about it, I almost forgot it. The brand is DEAD and won't become alive.

Volkswagen Polo and Vento's sales improved Nd glad it did! Hope its going to improve further. Jetta being such a great product is not able to do anything due to the pricing.

Skoda is in trouble now, all its product's sales are declining and Fabia is worst affected. Good to see that Rapid's sales improved a bit.

Bottom line- Great show by some manufacturers like Hyundai Maruti and Renault but unfortunately the sales of rest is declining. Thanks to the hike in diesel prices which completely shaked the market though gave a boost in sales of petrol only models like i10 and Wagon R! The D segment new leader is Elantra and well I am disappointed that the rest couldn't even do half of it. Was expecting higher sales of Cruze at least. Now, i want to see October's sale figure as its the festive month. Hope the market improves by a good margin.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti is back with a bang after a lull in last month's figures.
It is good to see the Swift and Dzire numbers going back .The Swift and Dzire numbers would improve in the coming months.
Lets see what the new Alto 800 does in the coming months.

Duster as expected is doing good numbers. Scala seems to be clocking some numbers. Too early to write it off.
For Nissan, Micra and Sunny have some additions to the sales figures of August.

Fiat and GM seems to be going no where. Hard to understand the FIAT strategy.

VW seems to be flat in growth though some volume increase is seen in the refreshed launches.

October the festive season would be interesting to see how the market responds to the hike in prices and new launches.

Cheers!
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:17   #41
BHPian

Can someone please clarify - I have never understood why the Tata cars are not split in this monthly analysis by their actual models and always referred to as Indica sisters or something similar. It would be interesting to know how many Manzas sell vs Indigo. After all, Manza is touted by Tatas as the ultimate in luxury!! :-D
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

@GTO n Parrys,

Thanks for the wonderful analysis to the most eagerly waited thread at the start of the month.

Omni & Eeco still selling mind boggling units is a total surprise. Fiat langushing as usual is not good news, they need to set the shop right by bringing in more models.

Ford as every month is heavily banking on the Figo whereas the Fiesta Classic is building numbers every month now that the new Fiesta is clealy declared as market dud.

Scala I guess is going to be one month wonder with those numbers, come this festive season will be the real test for the new offering.

Recent price hikes by the car manufacturers is not going to go down well with the customers, its a do or die situation in the coming months.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:36   #43
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the much awaited report as usual GTO and parrys.
Maruti seems to be making a sort of comeback with swift and dzire. But I think they are still selling only at 70% level max and the number should go up in a couple of months.
Feel sad for linea and punto. Good cars doing bad.
Ditto for Rapid. I am actually surprised at the numbers this car is doing.
Cruze once used to be a value for money option at the price range which it no longer seems to be. The engine seems to be the only reason for it. Beat is the only thing going for Chevy. Looking forward for the sail launch. It seems to be a no nonsense car but let down by its interiors and exterior styling. They really need to project it as a VFM offering in the segment and price it at par with the figo and not the swift.
Quanto makes it debut but I don't see it doing great numbers here. Essentially it is just a smaller xylo at a lesser price. Despite being much more VFM compared to the Innova, Xylo could never match its numbers a relationship I guess the quanto will now share with the ertiga. At close to 8.5 lakhs, I think Quanto won't offer the finish and quality people expect and those ready to spend 8.5 would prefer going that extra mile to arrange the additional 2 lakhs and get the ertiga instead which looks a more complete vehicle in comparison.
Good to see Hyundai having a ball in the 10 lakh plus range. Early days though.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post

Good to see the Yeti doing well. Has India finally woken up to the virtues of a truly good car or is this merely a blip on the radar? Have to watch this trend.
If you check the last 12 month figures, you will find that in the last month of every quarter, Yeti sales figures jump up, only to be followed by a slump in the next two months.

It looks as if they dump the Yeti on dealers at the end of every quarter.
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:34   #45
BHPian

To me, Silent winner is Tata Sumo Gold.

3k + numbers for straight three months from a nearly extinct design is great achievement.
A competent engine replacement has done wonders for this product.
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed