Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:55   #46
BHPian

Re: September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (such as Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

September 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 09:57   #47
BHPian

Thanks a ton GTO & Parrys for the excellent report compiled in here. Superb as usual !!

Great to see Maruti rising from the dust again riding high. No real surprises here, the sales were bound to go up once the dust surrounding the Manesar plant settled down. The only way for Maruti sales figures to go is northwards in the coming months with the New 800 set to hit the roads soon. Sad to see the dismal performance of A-star & Sx4. Ertiga with the same engine as that of Sx4 is raking in the numbers and has arrived big time. Wonder why people have been turning a blind eye to the Sx4, IMO it definitely is a practical & VFM car & much better car than what its sales suggest.

The big surprise comes from the Skoda stable who seem to be doing pretty decent numbers for the Rapid as well as Yeti. Hyundai too is riding high on its fluidic design wave led by the Elantra & the Verna. Though i wonder how long would people continue to buy the Verna solely due to the gizmos and gadgets it offer, but whatever Hyundai is doing is definitely working well for them.

Last but not the least, Fiat ahh well, the less said the better. The sooner Fiat brings in its 1.6 MJD engine the better. Maruti can make do with its 1.3 MJD engine purely due to the peace of mind and niggle free cars it offers, but the same cant be said about Fiat. Fiat has to do something big and substantial to keep afloat.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:17   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
New Camry seems to be dead on-arrival bound to happen thanks to the steep pricing and lack of safety features. Etios /Liva need a serious interior make over now , Q factor alone will not help.
Totota needs to do something drastic. Etios and Liva are good cars, Toyota has to do something immediately with the perception and the pricing.
Probably Toyota needs to shed it's image of providing good cars to transport operators only and neglecting individual customers.
With this brand image Toyota can only be a costlier choice against Tata vehicles and can go nowhere.

Looking forward to the SAIL and Quanto review.

Last edited by subratasenn : 3rd October 2012 at 10:18.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:20   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Obviously, this is not a good way of looking at things. When bars don't scale in the same range, wouldn't it be better to make sure that the odd one out (read Renault) is either (a) taken off the chart OR (b) extrapolated / compressed (or whatever the term is called in statistics & graph representations) to ensure that the viewer is given a more informative analysis of the other players in the market ?

If the Scale on the Y axis is more in the range of 25,50,75,100, etc., this graph would make a LOT more sense at first glance than it is doing right now. If Renault is also included, make sure that the graph shows some dotted / staggered bars and have a label on top saying this is the % change Renault witnessed.
vsathyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:27   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
I have a small doubt about classification of vehicles - Duster is SUV according to body style and put in C2 segment whereas Safari and Scorpio are put in Utility segments with SUV body styles. Couldn't Scorpio and Safari be put in C2 segment too (looking at the price bracket I guess)?
Thank you for the correction. This has been done and will be in effect from our next sales report.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Sad to see the dismal performance of A-star & Sx4. Ertiga with the same engine as that of Sx4 is raking in the numbers and has arrived big time. Wonder why people have been turning a blind eye to the Sx4, IMO it definitely is a practical & VFM car & much better car than what its sales suggest.
I guess this has a lot more to it than just the engines. Ertiga is cheaper and more practical model than SX4. More importantly it is the new bloke in town and SX4 in comparison is an old guy. What Maruti needs to do is revamp the SX4. Maybe even change the name. Keep the underpinnings same, but change everything from the exterior to the interiors. Get in the Kizashiyish interiors and also change the mills.
It has to trump the competition on performance. Try and get the 1.6 Multijet or even the 1.9. Price the top model at 60-70 K above the Ertiga Zdi. The USP should be performance at a cost over the Ertiga whereas Ertiga is for practicality. The new improved interior quality seen on the swift and the ertiga also would help SX4 justify its place in the segment.

Then perhaps it would sell, and in good numbers too. Ertiga has proved Maruti has it in them to give what the market wants at 10 Lakhs. Take one small step at a time, improve on that and slowly in a matter of couple of years come up with a diesel compact SUV on SX4 frame that costs 12 Lakhs OTR for top end.

Well easier said than done!

Last edited by vibbs : 3rd October 2012 at 10:32.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 11:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for another excellent analysis.

So Skoda Fabia sells lesser than the Laura and the Yeti? Whats happening, is the Hatch market done and gone for Skoda?
VW manages better numbers for the Polo though.
Verna is the undisputed 10L segment leader for many months in a row, can see too many of them on the road. Elantra has done well and the fluidic model appears to be working for Hyundai.
Duster has clearly been Renault's saviour and Cash cow. The market is lapping up whatever number of dusters they offer. For a new car, Scala has not done too bad I must say. Maybe Ford with their new Fiesta can take a lesson or two from Renault and get their Ecosport asap.
And what a month for Mahindra. Their XUV is going great guns and Bolero close to 10000 units? Tourist operators are inhaling Bolero by the thousands.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawrie View Post
Can someone please clarify - I have never understood why the Tata cars are not split in this monthly analysis by their actual models and always referred to as Indica sisters or something similar. It would be interesting to know how many Manzas sell vs Indigo. After all, Manza is touted by Tatas as the ultimate in luxury!! :-D
This has been asked so many times on these threads, but no answer yet. I, too am quite curious to know the split figures.

Definitely it would be an interesting data to mine. Any Team-BHPian insiders ready to assist??
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:56   #54
BHPian

As always a cracking analysis and reporting by GTO and the BHP team.

The XUV blitz

For me the standout information from these analysis is the performance of the XUV500. a fairly pricey offering which has steadily grown in the last 10 months, from selling 50% less units than the Scorpio; to finally overtaking the Scorpio this month. That is a solid achievement, we all had been harping on about the sweet price point between 11l lakhs and 18 lakhs which didnt have a SUV offering and boy have M&M exploited that bracket !

as a Scorpio owner personally i don't rate the XUV very highly but M&M have shown that if you make a product that looks good and is priced decently it will sell. Maybe something the Tata's could learn with their Aria project and the upcoming Safari Storme.

GM & Design factor

Having being involved in dealer development activities & audits for GM in the past its sad to see they havent learnt from previous follies. The Beat, Cruze & Tavera are their winners and focus should be towards these models. Instead of launching cars like the Sail which again is a dated design which wont fly with the indian consumer. they need a product to replace the Optra which looks and feels as "new age"/sporty like the Cruze. Designs such as the old Optra, SX4 are past their prime, Hyundai has showcased this with their Verna and Elantra.

Sibling Rivalry:

the other interesting battle within the family im looking to see is the Scala vs Sunny. the next 2 months figures (especially around festival season) will tell us which of these siblings wins this rivalry. Skoda needs to up its A.S.S game because at its pricing it should be hurting its cousin Vento more
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Maruti needs a replacement for the SX4. At one time they used to sell approx 1500-2000 units. now despite the CNG and Diesel, the sales are down to 250 odd. A part of it may have to do with the strife ant Manesar. With production creeping back to normal, this no should increase. However, the SX4 has been in the market for 5 years + and the market has moved on since then. The City is also due for replacement in a years time. This is one product which cannot fail if Honda wants to remain relevant in the Indian market.
While I agree with you on the above, my thought is that probably Ertiga's pricing and better overall VFM have also been responsible to some extent. This was something that I considered too when evaluating SX4 and Ertiga within the Maruti-Suzuki family of products. For around the same price, I was in a position to get added seating capacity!

This is an individual opinion - not necessary that all subscribe to the same view.

Thanks.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:09   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Anybody knows how are the Germans placed against each other? Audi seems to have another fantastic month with record sales. However the numbers are not revealed yet I guess. Would love to watch the trio's number games!
Audi sold 1,011 cars in September.

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd October 2012 at 14:38.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:34   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
But Hormazd tweeted that Audi sold 1,011 cars in September.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:38   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
But Hormazd tweeted that Audi sold 1,011 cars in September.
Thanks and corrected. Was the 2011 figures!
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:02   #59
BHPian

Skoda. Wow. Their new Indian MD has spelled out his emotions for this clever hatch. I think the dealers of Skoda are partly responsible for the failure of the Fabia... they probably just don't know how to promote/project a "small" Skoda considering the luxury liner superb and the big laura.

Just a model refresh pushing the Polo's numbers is quite interesting. Skoda should do the same then.
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:26   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent report GTO.

The Hyundais are having a ball in the field. Their products seem to be consistent in sales when compared to other competitors.

Nice to see the new Elantra eating up the competition and also the Verna even if as per most people isnt a car for enthusiastic driving is eating up the sales chart compared to Rapid and Vento

It would be interesting to see if Duster can beat the 4K+/month consistent XUV500 in the coming months.

Thanks for this report
Closed Thread

Most Viewed