Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 16:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
It's a M Class derivative so maybe just maybe.
I often see people comparing various vehicles based on paper specifications and some even making their buying decision on the same. There are many other important things in a car - the soul of driving, interiors, fit and finishing, NVH, engine response, driveability, etc, these can never be put onto paper.

It is indeed an Mercedes M-Class derivative, but keep in mind that derivation was made a decade back. Things have moved on quiet a bit in last 10 years!

This is based on Ladder chassis, flooring is very high, the handling is bad (I read some where that on curves the vehicle runs like a drunken whale)!

Still in India is the looks are good in flesh and features are there, then it will sell
Old 17th October 2012, 16:26   #62
BHPian

re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakhs

Still have to go over the finer details but low range gear box 'YIPPIE' that almost seals the deal for me. It's just down to underthigh support. Its already ticked the first box but if it ticks the second, I might go by the heart and crazily replace my swift with this after a year or two, instead of going for a compact SUV as planned.
Initial production plan of 5,000 per annum seems too modest, I can see crazy queues forming. I just hope that Mahindra has chosen good component and ancillary suppliers to keep the niggles at bay.
Old 17th October 2012, 16:34   #63
Senior - BHPian

If you look at the RX5 with the manual Gear Box, there are loads of things that are missing
Understand that comparing this with XUV is apples to oranges but feel it fair to consider the W8 with RX-5. The absence of the following features on the Rexton still makes XUV better on paper, yes the quality is another world though. But for a commoner who wants to compare feature wise then i think XUV is still VFM

The Rexton does have better braking power compared to XUV.

1) Leather Upholstery
2) Lack of Cruiser Control
3) Rain Sensing Wipers
4) ESP
5) Side/Curtain Airbags
Old 17th October 2012, 16:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

So now we have more choices than the only Fortuner. Will have to see this car in flesh and blood to take a call. BTW does the MT have 4WD or is it only the AT (AWD) is the one which has 4WD (or AWD)?

Somehow the curvy looks is not of my preference, i like the straight lines somehow. So in the looks department its the Fortuner or the Storme.
Old 17th October 2012, 16:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
BTW does the MT have 4WD or is it only the AT (AWD) is the one which has 4WD (or AWD)?
They have Torque on Demand for the MT in their language and the AT Does come with 4WD. Their website is quite informative unlike other makes.
Old 17th October 2012, 16:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I often see people comparing various vehicles based on paper specifications and some even making their buying decision on the same. There are many other important things in a car - the soul of driving, interiors, fit and finishing, NVH, engine response, driveability, etc, these can never be put onto paper.

It is indeed an Mercedes M-Class derivative, but keep in mind that derivation was made a decade back. Things have moved on quiet a bit in last 10 years!

This is based on Ladder chassis, flooring is very high, the handling is bad (I read some where that on curves the vehicle runs like a drunken whale)!

Still in India is the looks are good in flesh and features are there, then it will sell
See I agree and disagree with what you say at the same time, what I meant by that statement was that the rexton has good parentage and that is a good thing for this vehicle.

Regarding other factors only a test drive can give transparency. In our market almost all the SUV's occupying this space have some serious setbacks but still they command good prices and positioning, the fortuner's braking or the pajero's interiors both SFX and sports are case in point.

Yet they sell and that too by decent numbers. What makes this car really attractive for me is the pricing and the novelty of a new brand and some exclusiveness for some time because if it becomes popular it will be more common than the fortuner.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:18   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Ground Clearance 252mm!!! Wow.
+ Merc engine, Merc gear-box (that too AT with manual control) and AWD.

This is a good SUV.
The UK reviews are quite good - from utility and reliability point of view.

Our market has overrated products like the Totota Fortuner, so I hope this one really does well.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 17:20   #68
BHPian

In the given 17L-19L price range, Rexton could be a great competitor to Skoda Yeti 4x4Elegance, though Yeti is 5 seater and has a smaller engine. Anyways, Skoda Yeti sales are not that impressive. With the launch of Rexton, it may further go down as why would someone buy a 5 seater when they they can get full 7 seater SUV with a bigger engine and automatic transmission. Especially in a country obsessed with size of the vehicle against the amount they pay for it.

Although, Yeti remains my personal fav due its sheer practicality which combines handling and ride of a sedan with the capabilities of a SUV. Due to its smaller size, it easier to manouvere/park in traffic.

No doubt, if Rexton could match the quality levels, ride, handline and capabilities of Yeti, it might win my vote too

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari
aniket.tiwari27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 19:02   #69
BHPian

Re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakh

Got Invite for tomorrow Delhi launch, tempting towards AT AWD though booked Fortuner 4*4, lets see.
Old 17th October 2012, 19:15   #70
BHPian

Re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakh

Great price and really attractive.Will surely go for a test drive once it comes to my area.
But what I am really wondering is if the rexton is in the 17-19l range,where will the korando be priced?Surely below rexton.And its reviews are very good.
Old 17th October 2012, 19:18   #71
PGA
BHPian

Rushed back from the office and hit the net to get details of two new launches today, sad to say TATA Storme website not working and Rexton going great guns. Hope that is not indicative of the portents for TATA. Mahindra seemed to have scored for the day, yet another time.
Old 17th October 2012, 19:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

This car is slightly on overpriced side. For what is an SUV based on old M-class platform. Even Force 1 offers Mercedes Engine, and in general, reviews are not bad at all.

If we come back into reality after the launch enthusiasm has faded, XUV is one car which has made life difficult for Rexton even before its launch. XUV and Xylo are cars which define Mahindra, a firm which is trying hard to thrive independently amidst growing international presence and products from bigger brands. But still, these products stand tall. For chauffeur drive 7 seater/8 seater, Xylo makes sense, thanks to large seats and space. Ask the chauffeur to drive at a sedate 80-90 and you have a very good cruiser in Xylo. XUV needs no introduction.

Rexton has a stronger brand as a competition in form of Toyota Fortuner 2WD MT. Lower than that, and XUV itself is strong enough. And unknown brand which is sandwhiched between an fresh new exciting product and a very proved traditional SUV.

A person buying or even inquring about Rexton will have few question in mind like:
1) I am paying more than XUV, but still getting 2.0 ltr motor where as XUV has 2.2.
2) Mahindra is more known brand, demand of XUV means stronger resale also.
3) Whats wrong with the tried and tested, old school, Fortuner ? I am not gonna enjoy driving in slush, I would be rather taking my car to my office and long highway trips with family..

XUV has made life tough for not only immediate competition, but also Rexton. I was expecting Rexton to have a larger motor and actually take Fortuner head on with confidence.
Old 17th October 2012, 19:41   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Rexton has a stronger brand as a competition in form of Toyota Fortuner 2WD MT. Lower than that, and XUV itself is strong enough. And unknown brand which is sandwhiched between an fresh new exciting product and a very proved traditional SUV.

A person buying or even inquring about Rexton will have few question in mind like:
1) I am paying more than XUV, but still getting 2.0 ltr motor where as XUV has 2.2.

XUV has made life tough for not only immediate competition, but also Rexton. I was expecting Rexton to have a larger motor and actually take Fortuner head on with confidence.
The Rexton has a 2.7L engine not 2.2

Agree with your other points though
Old 17th October 2012, 20:22   #74
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's note: Kindly continue the discussion on the Rexton in the official launch thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...9-67-lacs.html (Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs)

Thanks,

Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th October 2012 at 20:26.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks