Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:04   #1
BHPian

Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakhs

Mahindra to debut the SsangYong Rexton in India on October 17. The Rexton will be the first high-end SUV under the SsangYong banner manufactured at Mahindra’s Chakan facility in India. The national launch in Mumbai on 17th October is to be followed by launches in New Delhi and Bangalore & phase wise roll out in other markets.

The Rexton is the first product from Ssangyong’s product portfolio to be launched in India since Mahindra acquired the Korean company back in March 2011.

This is the third generation Rexton

Last edited by GTO : 3rd October 2012 at 20:38. Reason: Adding info from the information we have received directly
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:17   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton Oct 17

Incidentally, the Tata Safari Storme's launch is slated for October 17th as well. Clearly appears to be a case of one upmanship rather than mere coincidence.
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:22   #3
BHPian

1. What price bracked does the Rexton belong to?
2. Will it be a Korean car or a Mahindra car - I mean will the quality of workmanship be like a Scorpio or a Santa Fe?
anujatwork is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:31   #4
BHPian

The Storm should cost about 12-14 Lakhs and the Rexton I guess would be about 22-24 Lakhs, (It costs close to Rs. 28 Lakh in Malaysia).
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Will the Rexton wear the Mahindra badge?
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:43   #6
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Will the Rexton wear the Mahindra badge?
Unfortunately it doesn't matter whether the badge is Mahindra or Ssangyong because it always ends up looking like a Merc ripoff

I'd wonder why people would want to buy this vehicle for > 20 lakhs but then I am reminded of the success of the Lexus brand which was fairly inspired by Mercs again!
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:23   #7
BHPian

Will Mahindra launch it as Rexton or will they change the name to somthing ending with "O"?
Car-Agey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 17:38   #8
BHPian

So far the invite says Ssangyong Rexton. Rextono sounds like the little brother of Relaxo so may be a no go (couldn't resist-o ).
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:25   #9
BHPian

Looks like Mahindra is on a roll here. But the question is would the market really welcome a Mahindra product above 20lacs? We all know that they have cracked the 10lac market, can they get lucky twice?
And if they are going with the parent name, then can a new brand with no pedigree pull this off? Remember Renault failed with their Fluence and they are a brand with history.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:36   #10
BHPian

Though I do not recall where, but I read it somewhere that Mahindra has plans to extend the XUV brand name with more variants and engine options, such as XUV 300 and XUV 700.

But for now, I think Mahindra will continue with the Rexton name under SsangYong banner.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:42   #11
BHPian

I think Mahindra will go the XUV way and load it with as many features possible. This is a big gamble for Mahindra, because XUV succeeded since it filled the gap between the 1 million and 2 million price range, much below the Fortuner. Over 2 million mark, the competition is pretty tough, what with the Fortuner ruling the segment and other SUVs available like Nissan X-trail, Hyundai Santa-Fe, and Mitsubishi Pajero. Even a bit of over pricing and you are into BMW X1 category which is a status symbol in itself. The real challenge would be in the post-sales service area. Where Mahindra is still trying to cope up with XUV niggles, it would be pretty hard for dealership guys to diagnose and rectify something in a more complex vehicle.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't matter whether the badge is Mahindra or Ssangyong because it always ends up looking like a Merc ripoff

I'd wonder why people would want to buy this vehicle for > 20 lakhs but then I am reminded of the success of the Lexus brand which was fairly inspired by Mercs again!
BTW, Rexton is based (based, not copied or inspired) on the older generation Merc M class.
Guna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 21:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Incidentally, the Tata Safari Storme's launch is slated for October 17th as well. Clearly appears to be a case of one upmanship rather than mere coincidence.
I feel so bad for Tata. Every time they plan a launch someone steals the Thunder. First XUV, then Duster, Now the Rex Double 'O'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
BTW, Rexton is based (based, not copied or inspired) on the older generation Merc M class.
U are right. It is the first generation Merc M-Class under the skin not a chinese clone type vehicle. It is also the most decent looking model from their stable.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 3rd October 2012 at 21:25.
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakhs

OverDrive tweets below
Quote:
Mahindra to unveil Ssangyong Rexton in India on October 17 - to compete with SUVs like Santa Fe, Captiva, Fortuner and so on.
A bit too optimistic? Ssangyong is NOT a known brand in India. Though it is backed up by Mahindra, pitching it directly against these products unless Rexton is quite competitive in all aspects, is suicidal!
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:51   #15
BHPian

re: Mahindra to introduce Rexton on 17th October 2012.EDIT Launched at Rs. 17.67 lakhs

I think I saw the Rexton some days back at vile parle near mithibai college.

It was a silver car with no logo at the front. I think there were three people in the car I think.
There was a big Ssangyong written on a chrome plate, in the centre of the boot, similar to the duster.

The car looked big and decently good.

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 3rd October 2012 at 22:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks