Team-BHP - What went wrong with Hyundai CRDI
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   What went wrong with Hyundai CRDI (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/12750-what-went-wrong-hyundai-crdi.html)

HI,

Long time, Hello Every one....I have been hearing so many rumours from so many different people and people who own or owned the Hyundai CRDI. Some say, there are major issues with the engine and they start showing up when the car has run around 50K and some say if for any reason the engine needs to be opened one would have to shell out around 70K to get it repaired. I know you guys might be thinking that I am talking like a newbie. However, I am posting exactly what I have heard. AND The Biggest question is WHY HAS HYUNDAI STOPPED SELLING CRDI if it was so popular in this MARKET.

So, I thought nothing better to ask the experts.

Adios,
Preet

Oh. It is news to me that Hyundai has stopped selling CRDI Accent. I saw a few ads being aired on television a few weeks back.

I don't think they stopped selling CRDI. Rumors are there like Huandai stopped accent producton. Still I can see new Accent CRDIs coming out of showrooms.

They are only going to export them and are going to stop selling them here.
Here is a cut out from a online paper

30th Mar 2006
Hyundai Verna: Hyundai India stops making Accent

Hyundai India stops making Accent, to replace it with Verna

It is finally happening in the Indian market! Automakers are finally realizing that they cannot stretch old models for too long. Maruti has been doing it all this time. Maruti 800 is almost a 20-year-old model!

Toyota started the trend when they replaced Qualis with Innova. Maruti just recently stopped making Zen and is reported to be working on a replacement model. And now Hyundai India has announced that they are no longer making their hugely popular model Hyundai Accent!

The company is for now only manufacturing the left hand driven model for the export market. Hyundai has plans to replace this aging model with Hyundai Verna for the Indian market. Verna is expected to be launched in the second half of the current year.

It is interesting considering Accent is still very popular amongst the people considering purchasing a sedan especially the CrDI model. It had an impressive 16.4% market share of the mid-size segment at the end of January ’06.

Wrong information.
Hyundai is upgrading the engine range. The new Verna is coming with VGT(Variable Geometry Turbo) CRDi engine.
As for whats wrong, well nothings wrong. Bad fuel is hell on modern engines, be it mercedes or hyundai. The problem with hyundai is that the fuel pump repair is very very costly. So when it happens at 60K on a tata people dont complain much, but when it happens on an accent, it pinches where it hurts, hard.
Solution : Avoid bad fuel. It eats up your fuel delivery system. Heck my indica fuel pump was in not too great a shape due to a constant diet of poor quality highway fuel. Due to an accident the overhaul came in the insurance part. Otherwise I was looking at a 6000rs expense about 10000kms from now(its done 65K). If it had been a hyundai crdi, I would have been looking at a 35000 expense and would have posted a long story cursing hyundai in the technical section.
The reason for more cost is
1. Advanced tech costs more
2. Currently crdi components are imported.

i dunno where these rumours come from........the accent crdi and the elantra crdi are very much on sale but with a large discount....as for the unreliability
i still stress that one can keep even a standard 2000 running fine
if the state of tune of the engine is good........just that the effort from the owner in maintaining his vehicle is the prime factor as to how a car is gonna behave in its owners hands.....
the crdi is a fantastic engine but it needs to be taken care of more cos of its high technology.........lots of ppl ignore that and fill their cars up with really poor quality of diesel......thats what will ruin the cars injectors....
otherwise its a reliable unit, doing duty fine in all other countries

Thanks for clearing it up Tanveer. I can go back to those guys and tell them to be content with the CRDI's they are running. Happy Motoring:)

[SIZE=2]Happened to speak to a person who was associated with Hyundai service. it seems the rumours about the problems surfacing after 50k kms are not false. Also on the contrary heard that Hyundai is leaving no stone unturned when it comes to fixing those issues and many of them are happening due to the quality of the fuel available. [/SIZE]

hi guys,,
rumors doing the rounds that crdi are having problems are true,,
but be it any diesal car, it is bond to give problem if not taken care of properly,,
resons for crdi having problems,,
1. poor fuel qualita (as indicated by everyone)
2. poor engine oil provided by servo,,(authorised hyundai engine oil)
untill past 4 months, hyundai were using the same engine oil as they use in petrol accent but now due to the problem they have shifted to a new grade engine oil, the oil used prior to this was 20w/40, the the oil used now does not have any grade on the packing but says crdi engine oil..the oil is no more in bulk pack, but in individual packing..the oil provide by hyundai as oem is not good at all..trust me..
3.the air filter provided by the company has a special support in the middle and is diffrent from the replacement filter, the replacement filter is that of a petrol accent and not of the crdi, having no middle support, becouse the engine runs on high presure, it sucks the petrol filter inside, the filter sags and there is room for dirt to go directly into the engine compartment, and hence screwing the engine.... but now the company is providing you with middle support filters(made in korea)

all the complaints of the crdi were there becouse the "workshops" were not having air filter and proper oil for crdi, but after the complaints they have pulled there socks and are now equiped with crdi parts,,,

the workshops are to be blamed 90%, and 10% problems are that of bad fuel,,,
i have accent crdi and elantra crdi both and i am happy with both there performance,, accent is good for the city and elantra is xcellent for the highway,,,
if taken good care of both the cars are great and value for money,,
and about the resale!!!! i am being offred 5.5 lakhs for my accent crdi 2004 september,, so i think it's great,,
regards,,
Driven

Quote:

Originally Posted by moodswings
HI,

Long time, Hello Every one....I have been hearing so many rumours from so many different people and people who own or owned the Hyundai CRDI. Some say, there are major issues with the engine and they start showing up when the car has run around 50K and some say if for any reason the engine needs to be opened one would have to shell out around 70K to get it repaired. I know you guys might be thinking that I am talking like a newbie. However, I am posting exactly what I have heard. AND The Biggest question is WHY HAS HYUNDAI STOPPED SELLING CRDI if it was so popular in this MARKET.

So, I thought nothing better to ask the experts.

Adios,
Preet

its not only hyundai crdi its the bad fuel that causes problems with most cars,last month my accent gls started jerking ,i thought its the injectors that are clogged so i got the injectors clogged later in the same week the started jerking badly again and by the time i reached hyundai service center the spark plugs were gone and so were connecting cables,drained the petrol and rreplaced the cables and plugs,car is fine now,it was dirty fuel that caused it .

So the conclusion would be that till the time our country does not gaurunttee good quality of Diesel and Petrol it is really not worth buying Latest tech. Engine cars. as now there is a new tech in Diesel engines which is about to come into the market. And if that is launched in cars sold in India we are bound to face more issues due to bad fuel quality.

CRDi engines having problems?.?.?.

My chipped accent crdi has been running flawlessly, had no problems with diesel quality either. It has covered 68000kms of hard driving...no issues. Touchwood :p

Drifter

Hi,

Yeah i have also heared the same thing about accent and elentra but have ignored it coz the people who told me this were Skoda Sales persons. And as Drifter said 68k without problem is smooth as an androids body.

As for the adulterated fuel it can harm any engine. So always fill it up with good reputed petrol pump.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drifter
My chipped accent crdi has been running flawlessly, had no problems with diesel quality either. It has covered 68000kms of hard driving...no issues

What brand of diesel have you been using?

Mostly turbojet...but at times extramile also...but these days have switched to regular diesel.

Drifter