Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 15:06   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai RTO : Tinted Glasses Drive from 11th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuz View Post
Saw the police stopping cars at least in two places on my drive to office today - One in front of TISS, Chembur, and the next to BPT road.

One of the police guys walked across and took a good look at the tints of the car in front of me before letting it go. Means, they are catching only the dark tinted ones.

I have a 70% on front & 50% on sides, and honestly I am thankful to the cops for not enforcing the ruling verbatim. The tints, howmuchever light they are, do make things easier.
I experienced this as well. The cops were in groups of 4-5, and were doing a thorough job of checking for cars with dark tints. As you said, thankfully they spared those of us who had tints that were earlier RTO approved.

I think this selective application is a very sensible and measured approach. Kudos to the Bombay cops for not going overboard in implementing a dumb SC ruling.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:45   #32
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Have a Bombay High Court Advocate sticker on my car, hopefully cops wont stop me! Guys, do keep updating the location if caught anywhere.
Also as some of you might know that a Review Petition has been filed by Garware in the Supreme Court which is pending & listed next week. So, if you are caught you can argue on this point! Offcourse, do remember there is no stay granted.
Old 12th October 2012, 15:48   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
On a different note, there was a red Alto in front of me (dark tinted glass, Marathi number plate and MNS sticker) while driving to office yesterday morning. This guy was arguing with the naka person, most probably to get away by not paying the toll. Cars pass through the naka very quickly, almost without a stop. This person held up traffic for 2 minutes!
http://www.indiatvnews.com/news/indi...at--18072.html

Quote:
Congress MP from Lok Sabha Vithal Radadiya on Wednesday night brandished a gun at the toll barrier staff in Karjan on the Vadodara-Surat highway, when the staff asked for his original MP identity card.
Old 12th October 2012, 16:26   #34
BHPian

This Sun Film/Tinted Glass Drive had started about 6 months back in Chennai and about couple fo months back in Bhubaneswar.

Though I had very light tint sun films on the glasses, i didn't want to argue with merely qualified constable called "Pandu".

It took Rs. 1/- and about 30 minutes to get rid of the films my car had. Well; yes, only Rs. 1/-. I used a Rs. 1/- coin to start peeling the film, then pulled the film down, slowly to get the single pice film in my hands. I should not forget to tell you that I had used a sprayer to spray some water in between, while pulling the film to avoid any stain on the glass. After removing the all the films, I simply used a glass cleaner (got from my wife's kitchen) to wipe all the glasses clean. The entire process took about 30 minutes of one person i.e. me.

Sorry, forgot to tell you that my car had good quality 3M films and probably that is the reason it came out without any fuss.

Lets obey the orders of the apex court of this country and be good and responsible citizen.

Drive safe.
Old 12th October 2012, 22:24   #35
BHPian

Did not notice any cops on my drive to and from office yesterday or today. Could be because my drive is on the w.e.highway from kandivali to goregaon in peak hour traffic and any checking at that hour will derail the already pathetic traffic.

Pls keep the thread updated on the checking. I am relieved that they are letting cars with lighter tints go. As a precaution I have put the 3m bill and warranty in the car to prove that I have the earlier permissible 70% and 50% tints.
Old 13th October 2012, 05:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
No, You should read all pages, it says you can not put anything on you glass, you have to keep it as OEM/Factory fitted. Its the people and the local police and some portion of media twist the wordings to complicate matters.
I had read the judgement before I commented. While the SC took the literal interpretation in this case, if the question of window shades is put to it, it will, IMHO, take an purposive interpretation of the rule, and rule them out as well. By the way the shades are stuck on glass (via suction, instead of glue). IIRC that should be sufficient to rule them out under the current literal interpretation itself.
Old 13th October 2012, 06:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
The solution to your difficulty is in the small adjuster provided in your rear view mirror. Use that during nights and you will not have any issues with high beams of cars behind.
Even with the day/night rear view switching there is this nuisance of getting an all illuminated unbearable effect.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Small correction, as per Apex Court all sunfilms are illegal.
Smaller correction: As per Apex Court, any material stuck on glass are illegal. Films, curtains, rubber, stickers, bird-drops, dirt, water... oh wait!
Also looking at the daily news, the number of rapes in this country appears not to have reduced due to this well-informed and well-thought out rule executed by the apex judiciary.

Last edited by SedatedDrive : 13th October 2012 at 08:56.
Old 13th October 2012, 10:49   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Have a Bombay High Court Advocate sticker on my car, hopefully cops wont stop me! Guys, do keep updating the location if caught anywhere.
Also as some of you might know that a Review Petition has been filed by Garware in the Supreme Court which is pending & listed next week. So, if you are caught you can argue on this point! Offcourse, do remember there is no stay granted.
The are not considering any VIP stickers, I asked them if any of the stickers would be of any use and they said no. For your Advocate sticker they might just end up telling you that , the court itself has passed an order so ......

Anyways just be careful. I have stripped off the tints on my car. The car feels naked! Just dont like the looks of a non tinted car! :(
Old 13th October 2012, 11:03   #40
BHPian

Tinted glass drive: Cops fine 4,448, net Rs4.5 lakh

In an extensive drive against four-wheelers using tinted glasses, the Mumbai traffic police booked and fined 4,448 motorists across the city in the last two days.
On Thursday, the traffic police fined 1,623 persons, and on Friday, 2,825. A total fine of Rs4,44,800 has been collected from motorists who were found to be flouting the Supreme Court’s order against the use of tinted glasses on their vehicles.
“We impound the license of the driver, and return it only after the tinted film has been removed from all the windows. We also collect a fine of Rs100 from the driver,” said a traffic police officer.
“The drive is being carried out throughout the country,” said Brijesh Singh, additional commissioner of police (traffic).
On Friday, the traffic police booked and fined 861 motorists, the highest number, from the western region. South and North Mumbai came in second and third respectively, with 321 and 311 motorists being booked. The police booked a further 159 motorists from Central Mumbai. These persons are booked and fined under relevant sections of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989.

Source: DNA

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repor...5-lakh_1752044

Time Of India

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16789469.cms

The Hindu Business Line

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle3721531.ece

Last edited by moleculez : 13th October 2012 at 11:10.
moleculez is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 14:15   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I don't mean to be rude but, ARE WE NOT GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES?
Indeed, we are. The law of the land is the final word, and we have no option but to comply.

All the points discussed on this thread have been extensively debated on earlier. This thread is closed. Please refer to the following discussions:

DIY - Removing Sunfilm

Legal Alternatives to Sunfilm

Car Tints banned by SC
Closed Thread

Most Viewed