Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 12:10   #1
BHPian

Mumbai RTO : Tinted Glasses Drive from 11th October 2012

The RTO has started the tinted glasses drive since 11th October 2012 atleast in Mumbai. They stop you and take your license and give you a receipt, you have 5 days time to remove the tints and take the car back to the police station and show them the car and pay a fine of Rs100 and get your license back. They have become very strict on this and wont even get bribed this time.

The permissible limit is 70 percent visiblity from front and back and 50 percent visibility from sides.

This has become a major harassment so please remove your tinted glasses if you have them beyond the permissible limit.

The reason given is that they need to see who is inside the car cause of terrorist activity. Well, I think they had forgotten that during Mumbai Terrorist attack the terrorist had fled with the Mumbai Police car itself.
moleculez is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 12:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Mumbai RTO : Tinted Glasses Drive from 11th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculez View Post
and wont even get bribed this time.

Really?
It will just take a Rs 100 note to prove otherwise.

I think festival season is coming and time has come to buy new clothes for "Chunnu and Munnu" and Wife. Hence the drive.
download2live is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 12:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The permissible limit is 70 percent visiblity from front and back and 50 percent visibility from sides.
Did they insist on removing sunfilm entirely (in line with the SC judgement a few months back)? Or are they okay with sunfilm confirming with the quoted specifications?
Old 12th October 2012, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Too early to comment, i hope they are serious this time and implement the law as it stands.

In Bangalore the drive seems to have fizzled out, i see quiet a few cars and Vehicles these days, with tints and boldly running around and in front of cops. Hence i am a bit skeptical.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:39   #5
BHPian

The credibility of this drive will be tested when the police confront cars with stickers of political parties.

On a different note, there was a red Alto in front of me (dark tinted glass, Marathi number plate and MNS sticker) while driving to office yesterday morning. This guy was arguing with the naka person, most probably to get away by not paying the toll. Cars pass through the naka very quickly, almost without a stop. This person held up traffic for 2 minutes!
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 12:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This has become a major harassment so please remove your tinted glasses if you have them beyond the permissible limit.
Well I did remove the tint glasses as a call to the nation. But will they atleast reimburse the taxes that i had paid when i was purchasing those sun films? Had 3M which costed me around 8K with a tax of 15% if my memory is correct.
Will my corrupt ridden government refund the taxes atleast?
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 12:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
It will just take a Rs 100 note to prove otherwise.

I think festival season is coming and time has come to buy new clothes for "Chunnu and Munnu" and Wife. Hence the drive.
+1. Typically these kinda drives are highly topical, triggered by a superior officer's whim and motivated by revenue targets. And a free money-making opportunity for the frontline team. As Download says, at the end of it many families are going to have new clothes/toys/gadgets etc. this holiday season.

I don't see the RTO going about this in a systematic manner with a clear long-term objective to uphold the court's judgment. There's never a robust sustenance plan in place and hence such initiatives lose steam quite quickly.

Case in point: RTO's don't drink and drive initiative.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

These kinds of drives have been done earlier too and fizzled out faster than they thought when one major embaressment forces the RTO to stop it. I wish they were serious this time.

One thing which the RTO or the govt could have enforced is to stop the sale of non permissible sun films. This way they wouldnt have to start these drives and brand everyone terrorist until proved innocent basd on the sun films.
Old 12th October 2012, 12:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Please recheck. As per the latest Supreme Court judgment (June 2012), 100% visibility is required on all sides. There were a couple of thread in the forum where this issue was being discussed.

The traffic police in Delhi is removing (partially) the sunfilm along with issuing on the spot challans. Now there are very few cars with tinted glasses, on Delhi roads after 3 months of SC order.

Please recheck the visibility limits once again.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 12th October 2012, 12:56   #10
BHPian

For all those cribbing: understand that the dark sun films that you have are ILLEGAL. Don't take refuge saying that police/RTO are corrupt.
sa_kiran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:00   #11
BHPian

A couple of months back I had driven to Goa with my family and was caught by the cops on the Madgaon - Karwar highway and had to pay a fine of Rs. 100 and got away, thinking that I would remove the film when I returned to Mumbai.

Couple of days and I was stopped again, I showed them the Rs. 100 chalan, he says this is valid for only 24 hours, had to really plead with him to let us go without paying a fine. As soon as I reached Karwar, I pulled out the films, my wife requested me to keep the film on her side (passenger side), I also kept the Front Windscreen film, and coincidentally we did not see any cops stopping vehicles for tints after that, must be my luck.

Anyway I have sold my vehicle now.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
For all those cribbing: understand that the dark sun films that you have are ILLEGAL. Don't take refuge saying that police/RTO are corrupt.
lol! illegal doesn't mean that the law is correct. all that everyone is doing here is expressing their frustration with a stupid law.
manolin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Small correction, as per Apex Court all sunfilms are illegal.
Old 12th October 2012, 13:09   #14
BHPian

The day this was announced specially in Bangalore, I was one among the many who followed it and got the tints removed with a lot of pain and heartache.

Even today when I see cars moving with the tints on, I feel stupid however I can drive without fear of being stopped and fined. Also I see a lot of pictures going on in BTP's FB page and they commenting that they will send notices to the violators.

Not really sure where this is headed but I can drive in peace
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 13:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure if anyone is cribbing mate - merely discussing and voicing concerns at best - based on solid historical data and alarmingly familiar trends of the past. I think we're all responsible citizens here and will not hesitate to cooperate with law-enforcement should this be a serious drive with a clearly laid out long-term objective and one that is in keeping with the court's judgement. However if it is driven by selfish or ulterior motives, which it generally tends to be, we have a right to know and be heard.

I think the need of the hour is to have a clear line of demarcation between what is permissible and what is not, the objective of the initiative, the procedure for defaulters, fines/penalties etc.. Let things be stated clearly for the benefit of everyone. If these things are kept open to interpretation/debate, then Houston, I think we have a problem.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 12th October 2012 at 13:12.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed