Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2012, 13:09   #1
BHPian

Potential Buyer abusing your (used) car on a test-drive?!

This incident happened to me sometime back. I was about to relocate out of India and had to sell of my beloved Palio.

The car was about 4 years old and was maintained in immaculate condition, even after average Fiat A.S.S.

It was my dream to own a Palio and I was very passionate about her.

Since I was moving out within short time, I had put up online ads on leading car sale portals and for sure, I received many inquiries.

One guy called up to say that he was working for an IT company and wanted to test-drive my car. He brought along a “Friend” of his to check out the car.

Now, the test drive began with all 3 of us on board with the “Friend” taking the wheel. The location was Palm Beach road – Navi Mumbai ( I stay at Sanpada – Vashi).
Within no time, he started ripping the car like anything, wheel spinning, speeding suddenly from standstill, breaking hard, turning abruptly, lugging on 3rd gear etc etc on the pretex of checking the car. This went on for good 10 mins.

Even though the car behaved fine, I was flabbergasted and pained. I had never abused my car like this ever!!!!!. I could not take this anymore and shouted at the guyz to stop this nonsense and get off the car. I literally pulled the handbrake and stopped the car in the middle of the road and asked the jerks to get off the car.

After some heated arguments and choicest verbal exchanges, I came to know that this “Friend” was from a leading online car sales company who provided “Experts” to evaluate / check the car, finalize the prize of the car and charge a hefty consultation fees. As far as I was concerned, it was not professional evaluation but was absolute torture to the owner and the car.

Who would have been responsible if the car had broken down / got damaged / met with an accident / worst of all toppled, due to the “Expert’s” mis-adventures. If something like this had happened, these guyz would have coolly walked off saying the car already had problems and hence they were calling off the deal.

PS. I understand that every buyer has the right to evaluate, check and test drive the car before finalizing the deal, but not at the expense of the seller.

Pl share any comments or similar experience faced by other members.
arunu is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 13:17   #2
BHPian

re: Potential Buyer abusing your (used) car on a test-drive?!

It pains a lot when some idiot torture your car under the pretext of "checking the car", but what to do mate this is how our country runs. If anything had gone wrong those people wouldn't have been held responsible.

Do ensure that next time when anybody wants to test drive your car, let them do so sanely.

PS: Did you sell your car finally?
Old 14th October 2012, 13:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

I normally set the expectation. Take it easy and then build up once you have got used to the car. I also keep a duplicate key in my pocket, with a view to kill the engine, in a safe area if things get too hairy!
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 13:28   #4
BHPian

Thanks Vivek,

What was astounding to me was the guyz had the guts to tell me that they were checking the car properly and I was trying to hide some defect of the car.

This inspite of me very clearly mentioning the normal issues due to wear-tear like rear tyre replacement / battery replacement etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkp View Post

PS: Did you sell your car finally?
Yes, I sold or rather gifted it to a close relative who, I know will take care of the car for a long time to come.

Also, being FIAT, the asking price for the car was too low anyways. The main factor for me was to vacate my flat before moving out and hence the need to sell.
Old 14th October 2012, 16:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Name the online company - at least others will be made aware of the same. There are many subtle ways to evaluate a car and abusing it is completely unacceptable!

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 21:04. Reason: No inappropriate language, not even indirectly
Old 14th October 2012, 16:32   #6
MHG
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2012 at 21:05.
MHG is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th October 2012, 16:56   #7
BHPian

MHG / itwasntme,

I guess its better not to reveal the co. since it may be a one off case and its better not to point at the company name and tarnish its image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
+1 to that
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Name the )(*^%$#@ online company
Anyways, my motive of this post was to alert people to exercise caution while selling cars.
Old 14th October 2012, 17:56   #8
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a very fine line between testing a car properly and abusing it. One does not really need to drive at the limits of a car to test the engine, gearbox, suspension and brakes. The guys were definately out to have fun at your cost it seems with no real aim to purchase the vehicle. Even when we go for a test drive with a new demo car a certain amount of abuse takes place but in that case it is not an individuals car and it is a demo vehicle which no customers is expected to purchase (Which is why we should avoid purchasing a demo vehicle). But when it is an individuals car the purchaser is expected to treat it with care.

On a lighter note (which I would never do with a personal / individuals car) while we were testing and deciding to purchase a Merc GL Class for our company CEO, (with some of the CEO famly on board the vehicle with me) I actually took the demo vehicle off roading (on roads under constructions (did a smaller version of that before purchase of my ARIA)). Am sure the Merc sales man had his heart in his mouth but he was rewarded with a purchase at the end of it.

Last edited by ACM : 14th October 2012 at 17:59.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 18:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Now, the test drive began with all 3 of us on board with the “Friend” taking the wheel. The location was Palm Beach road – Navi Mumbai ( I stay at Sanpada – Vashi).
Within no time, he started ripping the car like anything, wheel spinning, speeding suddenly from standstill, breaking hard, turning abruptly, lugging on 3rd gear etc etc on the pretex of checking the car. This went on for good 10 mins.
Pl share any comments or similar experience faced by other members.
Had a similar experience few years back - though it was me/us who were "test-driving" the car - when we went to buy a Maruti Baleno for my cousin along with a mechanic.

I was not much into cars then as I am now (or am I yet?) and my cousin had called this mechanic (as your "Expert") to see the car which was with a dealer (thankfully, not the owner!). He checked a couple of things here and there and then went for the usual wheel-spin. Took it in the busy Nungambakkam high road at a speed of not less than 60kmph. Did all the same gimmicks as you had mentioned making me damn furious. Unfortunately, I was not able to shout at him in front of the seller and had to control myself for next few irritating minutes. And, just after the "test-drive", he gave his verdict and left the place.
Old 14th October 2012, 18:02   #10
BHPian

Definitely a point worth considering. Thanks for bringing this to our attention indeed. And thanks ajmat for the solution too. Phew!

While reading through the build-up I was only praying that the story did not end up in an accident, so thankfully all's well and the car is in safe hands now as you say.

OT, but enjoy this video. Something similar...
mempheS.D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 18:33   #11
Team-BHP Support

What do I do if I am test driving?

I first show respect by driving slowly in moderation. I make it a point to say what I am doing and why. I tell them i am going to accelerate then brake. I then then them I will gently lug the engine to assess clutch. The secret is to be open and give no shocks or surprises besides respecting other peoples property.
ajmat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 19:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi, in my case it had got nothing to do with test drive or anthing like that. About a year ago I wanted to sell my Maruti 800, I met and spoke to many dealers and almost everybody were giving a very low price of the car saying as it is 800 will be phased out in near future.
I was told my car will go to a far off place away from Mumbai. One day a dealer got with him a guy ,supposed to be the buyer. But he looked more of a garagewala to me which he was indeed.
He took test drive of the car and gave me his last and final price,which was slightly more then all other offers I had got till then. By this time I was tired of showing the car to all tom dick and harry.
I agreed and told him to collect the car next day (I needed time to remove all Team Bhp Stickers) after paying full amount of the car.
He was given all documents by me ,I got the delivery note with signature and all other details from him.
After delivery of the car I came to my office and typed out a notification letter to RTO Andheri west about sale of the car.I hand delivered the letter same day and got a signed ,stamped copy from RTO with some entry no.in their records.
The latter said that I have sold this car to......and he has agreed to transfer the car within 8 days time.
Now all was quite for about 3 months, then I got a call from that guy asking "why I have informed RTO about sale of the car"????
I told him about crimes done on newly purchased second hand cars.He was upset with me saying that there were already 3 owners on the RC book and now he will be 4th owner and the 5th owner will be the guy he plans to sell the car.
I told him the matter is closed and my C.A. says I just forget your demands for a fresh delivery note of current date as sale in my files is closed. With anger he disconected the line.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 14th October 2012 at 19:27.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 19:49   #13
BHPian

These cases happen more often than not.
One word of precaution one can take here is :

(a) Maintain your cool for 5-8 minutes.
(b) Warn him from using the car in a manner not intended to.
(c) If the person quotes you are hiding something or some defect :

Give him two options
1) Either to evaluate it at service center.
2) You take back your car.

If the car is well maintained ,
he will come back running to you if he had no other option.

Don't let anybody drive it like crazy.

Each Day is an experience,
Each sale is an experience.

Thanks for sharing.
palash987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 23:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
This incident happened to me sometime back. I was about to relocate out of India and had to sell of my beloved Palio.
Thanks for useful post and alarming us.

I got an idea after reading this post. If we are in the market to sell our car (specially through online advertisement). We should prepare a format that the person who is going to test drive the car will be responsible for car's/pedestrians'/public property and his own loss, if any and mention their driving license number. Get it signed (2 letters if 2 persons).

We should get this letter sign by the person (or persons if more than one person want to test drive). Keep their driving license at home/office (just like car companies). If it is not possible to keep driving license, at least click it's picture from mobile as photocopy) It will make him responsible to some extant I feel.

Also, they will not be able to walk away in case something wrong happens.
mukeshgoel is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 05:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Ultimately what was the evaluation by this unprofessional professional?
These kind of so called experts are common everywhere. You should have warned him for this exploit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks