Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2006, 12:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Guys, better get back to actual topic of the thread before others kick us out for hijacking this thread in to a Fiat discussion.

If we can include a certain model, Hyundai Accent Tornado was also a flop.
Old 4th May 2006, 13:02   #47
Senior - BHPian

Sesh, winning a poll on tbhp does not make a car the market leader. It just means that a majority of the forum appreciates the car. Baleno wins most of the polls here - does not really mean that it was a great hit in the Indian market (though it is definitely gaining ground since the last 1-2 years).

Just have a look at the Palio sales figures provided by goldie_malhotra in this thread and you will know whether the Palio was accepted or rejected by the market.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th May 2006 at 13:03.
Old 4th May 2006, 13:13   #48
BHPian

somebody please make clear the thread's purpose.

Flop - because of the market?
Flop - badly engineered car?

IMHO, we shouldnt even be discussing the so-called MARKET -or- selling numbers here.
People who buy a car after looking at 'numbers sold' are most prolly not even present on team-bhp.

then, why bother abt 'em?
Old 4th May 2006, 13:13   #49
BHPian

I think the first flop had to be the earliest contessa with the non-isuzu engine, man it was teribble, i had an engine replaced from the company too........
Old 4th May 2006, 13:20   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Poll results don't translate into sales. Otherwise, Palio would have been best seller even today.
But It suggests the market trend.. That is what I was trying to SAY.. Palio was never a "Reject" in the market. Fiat has its own problems.. whole world knows..

Last edited by Sesh : 4th May 2006 at 13:22.
Old 4th May 2006, 13:52   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesh
But It suggests the market trend.. That is what I was trying to SAY..
Actually, it does not. Tbhp is a forum of auto enthusiasts whose buying behaviour would be very different from that of a normal buyer in the market. It does not mirror the general market trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesh
Palio was never a "Reject" in the market.
Well, if you compare its sales with that of the competition, it is actually way behind. And this thread determines a flop based on sales (nothing to do with the car's quality).
The thread starter made it very clear when he/she said "these are some of the cars in the indian market which didnt do good as the manufacturer expected ... ". And what does a manufacturer expect ? Great sales ofcourse.
Old 4th May 2006, 14:42   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Actually, it does not. Tbhp is a forum of auto enthusiasts whose buying behaviour would be very different from that of a normal buyer in the market. It does not mirror the general market trend.
Actually Very True.. Only Auto enthusiasts know what Palio is, Others seldom understand what it is..
Old 4th May 2006, 15:27   #53
Senior - BHPian

Hey Sesh, Finney

RX135 has put it very well. Please try to understand the meaning of flop first. Lets take the case of movies. Haven't you seen a number of movies that were well made, had good actors, and yet 'flopped'? Hope you are getting my drift ...

That the Fiat cars 'flopped' in India is the most heartbreaking thing to have happened to me , other Fiat owners and sympathetic auto enthusiasts. Heartbreaking, but true. Sadly.
Old 4th May 2006, 15:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoquattro
People who buy a car after looking at 'numbers sold' are most prolly not even present on team-bhp.
And Fiat almost closed down because such people are in the majority. Right?
Old 4th May 2006, 15:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Hey Sesh, Finney

RX135 has put it very well. Please try to understand the meaning of flop first. Lets take the case of movies. Haven't you seen a number of movies that were well made, had good actors, and yet 'flopped'? Hope you are getting my drift ...

That the Fiat cars 'flopped' in India is the most heartbreaking thing to have happened to me , other Fiat owners and sympathetic auto enthusiasts. Heartbreaking, but true. Sadly.
For the last time, I would NEVER accept that Palio was a flop!

Since, you have taken the example of movies, a movie will be rated either: Super Hit / Hit / Average / Flop.

So the performance of Palio in the Indian market can be rated as: Average. But, never as Flop!!!
Old 4th May 2006, 16:24   #56
BHPian

i think matiz flopped..after a short rise..it just sold hot cause of the ad's
Old 4th May 2006, 18:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Since, you have taken the example of movies, a movie will be rated either: Super Hit / Hit / Average / Flop. So the performance of Palio in the Indian market can be rated as: Average. But, never as Flop!!!
Technically, you would be right, finneyp. I mean, when compared to something like the Altura, yes, the Palio cannot be called a flop - average sales maybe. We still see quite some Palios on the road, while you would be lucky if you see even one Altura around.
But then, comparing these two is not really in order as the Altura is in a different segment altogether and in that also, it is in a more niche market, being a station wagon. So, when compared with the sales of something in its category (say Santro, Swift etc), the Palio is definitely a flop.
Old 4th May 2006, 18:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Theek hai boss. Maaf karo. Galti ho gayi!
Old 5th May 2006, 00:07   #59
YEZ

Palio is no doubt a very good product from the FIAT stable. Well, I can say that since I have owned a FIAT model (Uno 1.2 ELX) for 3 years and one of my cousins who still loves to zoom around in his Palio. But its really sad that due to difficulty in procuring Fiat spares in the market; in addition to their price, people get rid of them and prefer to go in for maruti/ hyundai makes.

I think many of us have made our first journeys of our lives in the good old Fiat Premier Padmini !!! Wot say guys?
Old 5th May 2006, 04:37   #60
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Does that mean that we are abnormal buyers?

I wouldn't consider Palio or Matiz as a flop, because there sale numbers were enough to support their production, they went out of market for other reasons than the sale itself.

Anotehr flop - Badal (first and only three wheeled car in India)

Most Viewed