Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 17:40   #331
BHPian

re: Flop cars in our market

I think FIAT today has very good cars but they are still not able to wipe out the bad image created by Premier Padmini (and other models) dealers who treated customers in the same manner as Britishers treated Indians in pre-independence era.

Further, they were not able to create a good after sales service network that is reliable and convenient. If a totally newcomer and unknown manufacturer like Hyundai could do it why not FIAT? I don't know if they had their hands tied up with their previous partners. The fact remains that 5 years old Santro which is flimsy vehicle commands better price in Market than 5 years old Palio which is significantly better engineered vehicle.

Their tie up with TATA allows them to have their presence everywhere but their vehicles are too advanced for TATA trained mechanics to diagnose and repair.

Even Hindustan Motors Mitsubishi tie up is suffering the same fate. The dealers had bad image. I know a HM dealer who was also dealer for Yezdi would not even give you a quote unless you come with some recommendation till 1984.

Spark of GM is also victim of Daewoo saleout. Many such flops stories are there.

Indian buyers are crazy. Their assessment of vehicle is totally dependent on hearsay and the dreams the salesman tries to sale them. Only 5% of the total buyers shows interest in finding technical details and engineering features of the car. Rest are only interested in Mileage, resale value and snob value.
Old 27th April 2011, 16:50   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Long forgotten Indian Cars !! Flopped cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post
Chinkara Motors

(no idea about the variants) Help me here someone !!
Chinkara??!! AFAIK, its not a manufacturer's name but actually the name of the dune-buggy like sports vehicles built on stripped and highly modified Standard Herald chassis () by some German bloke who's settled in Alibaug.
Old 28th April 2011, 07:33   #333
BHPian

Re: Flop cars in our market..Should the Aria be included

With the recent negative news about ARIA's electronic components and poor sales figures can the Aria be termed as a "Flop Car"; Or is it too early to write off the Aria?

IMHO it is a great product in a new segment.
Old 1st August 2014, 17:16   #334
BHPian

Would like to point out a variant of Hyundai Accent that flopped miserably.

Accent Viva : Hyundai tried to encash the success of it's Accent by introducing this sporty variant into the Indian market. It came with revamped bumpers, front grill, relatively smaller boot. but it didn't meet the expectations of the Indian buyers.
Old 24th August 2014, 22:32   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinya_jag View Post
@Fornax
I agree, but with that in mind, Fiat has all its cars in the flop bracket.
They are really poor at marketing.....
Best looking car, best ride quality and a cool package, yet they sell their Punto at 1K per month.....I guess they are not committed enough.
Fiat sure seems to be committed enough this time around. They have been trying really hard. But our market unfortunately is not mature enough. We want cars that are cheap, that give high mileage & have zero maintenance which Fiat cars can never be. I'm not a Fiat fanboy but just a satisfied customer for the last 5 years I have owned one. I have had my share of issues with Fiat but the pleasure of driving one more than compensates for everything else. It sure feels wonderful to drive a beauty like Punto. Keep trying Fiat, as long as it takes !
Old 25th August 2014, 08:57   #336
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
We want cars that are cheap, that give high mileage & have zero maintenance which Fiat cars can never be.
Zero maintenance - technically, I don't think any car can be 0 maintenance. However, I don't see anything unrealistic about the other expectations - high mileage, affordable, and low maintenance. If (and I can't really comment on the reality) Fiat is unable to manage at least some of those, they do need to introspect
Old 17th November 2014, 07:39   #337
Team-BHP Support

I guess we can update the list now to include -
  1. Datsun Go
  2. New FIAT Linea
  3. Honda Brio
  4. Chevrolet Sail Sedan
  5. Chevrolet Sail U-VA
  6. Chevrolet Enjoy
  7. New Ford Fiesta
  8. Hyundai New Sonata
  9. Mahindra Quanto
  10. Mahindra Verito Vibe
  11. Nissan Evalia
  12. Nissan Teana
  13. Renault new Fluence
  14. Renault new Koleos
  15. Renault Pulse
  16. TATA Aria
  17. TATA Venture
Old 17th November 2014, 15:51   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
[*]Mahindra Verito Vibe
Even the Verito sedan too. No?
Old 17th November 2014, 16:22   #339
Senior - BHPian

Re: Long forgotten Indian Cars !! Flopped cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post
Everybody around is talking about Ford Figo and Ford Fiesta, Skodas, Hondas, Marutis, Toyotas, Hyundais etc

This thread is a tribute to those car manufactures who ruled Indian Roads with their cars and then these models were either replaced by newer ones or the company simply shut down.

Some vehicles our family owned in the past :
You have missed out on STAMPRO (Standard motors and products of India, Chennai)

STANDARD GAZEL
STANDARD 2000.

The last product was responsible for the company to shut down shop back in 1988.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 19:12   #340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Even the Verito sedan too. No?

Just thought I would update some of the recent launches. Verito / Logan is already included in the thread.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:42   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[list=1][*]Datsun Go[*]New FIAT Linea[*]Honda Brio[*]Chevrolet Sail Sedan[*]Chevrolet Sail U-VA[*]Chevrolet Enjoy
We can add Fiat Punto too, especially if we consider Brio. They're barely selling 1000 Punto a month while Brio has been selling consistently above the 1k mark.
Old 17th November 2014, 19:50   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Datsun Go
  2. New FIAT Linea
  3. Honda Brio
  4. Chevrolet Sail Sedan
  5. Chevrolet Sail U-VA
  6. Chevrolet Enjoy
  7. New Ford Fiesta
  8. Hyundai New Sonata
  9. Mahindra Quanto
  10. Mahindra Verito Vibe
  11. Nissan Evalia
  12. Nissan Teana
  13. Renault new Fluence
  14. Renault new Koleos
  15. Renault Pulse
  16. TATA Aria
  17. TATA Venture

Does Brio actually qualify to be in the list?

In my books, a flop car was one that I can hardly spot on the roads and the new Fiesta is the best example of one.

Since its launch, I never saw one in Bangalore and spotted just one when I was in Trivandrum.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 20:34   #343
BHPian

I would add to the list Nissan Micra and Fiat Punto. Sad to see Brio in the flop list. It doesn't seem to rake in large numbers compared to other Hondas or other popular B segment hatches; its a frequent sight in NCR though.
Old 17th November 2014, 21:31   #344
BHPian

What about the Renault Scala? I do not see the Scala on our roads at all - if i do, it is a very very rare occurrence. I see the Sunny quite often.

Nissan also had a sports car 370Z in its line up here, i think that should also be included.

Also, the Force One SUV? does it also deserve to be in the list - i think so? - or no?

Frankly i have seen ( still see) more number of TATA Aria taxis than the Renault Scala.
Old 17th November 2014, 21:52   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
What about the Renault Scala? I do not see the Scala on our roads at all - if i do, it is a very very rare occurrence. I see the Sunny quite often.

Nissan also had a sports car 370Z in its line up here, i think that should also be included.

Also, the Force One SUV? does it also deserve to be in the list - i think so? - or no?

Frankly i have seen ( still see) more number of TATA Aria taxis than the Renault Scala.
I saw a scala today while driving back from office and the car looks very nice and proportionate in person. But Renault is very much occupied with Duster to even spare a thought for Pulse / Scala / Fluence !

The 370Z was never meant to be a volume seller - it's a marquee car for Nissan in India just to get people in the showroom.

Most Viewed