BHPian

re: Flop cars in our market

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I guess we can update the list now to include -
[/list]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
We can add Fiat Punto too, especially if we consider Brio. They're barely selling 1000 Punto a month while Brio has been selling consistently above the 1k mark.
I think you should include the following as well.

1. Maruti Swift Dzire Tour
2. Maruti Kizashi [You have a better chance of sighting a dinosaur on the road than this!]
3. VW Cross Polo
4. Etios Liva Cross
Old 17th November 2014, 23:14   #347
BHPian

I think it would be safe to add MS Stingray to the list. I can probably count how many times I have seen this car on road.
Old 17th November 2014, 23:41   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I think you should include the following as well.

1. Maruti Swift Dzire Tour
2. Maruti Kizashi [You have a better chance of sighting a dinosaur on the road than this!]
3. VW Cross Polo
4. Etios Liva Cross
A lot of Dzire tours (white color with black plastic bumper) do duty as yellow plate office cab / meru cab / cool cab etc - Atleast that's the scene in Kolkata
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 07:58   #349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We can add Fiat Punto too, especially if we consider Brio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I would add to the list Nissan Micra and Fiat Punto.
As states in the previous pages, all FIATs get wildcard entry to this thread, sooner or later.

I mentioned new Linea specifically and left out Punto Evo because linea sales dropped after the refresh, compared to previous levels. Punto Evo has only been in the market for three months and the sales are only on the rise for these months. But yes - eventually it will make it to the thread. It is sort of a family heirloom for all FIATs.
Quote:
They're barely selling 1000 Punto a month while Brio has been selling consistently above the 1k mark.
But outsold 3x times by the more expensive Amaze, 2x- 3x times by the Mobilio and 4x - 5x times by the City.

Some flops from MS stable sell twice or thrice these numbers per month (A-star, Zen Estilo). I think it should be relative numbers rather than an absolute value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Since its launch, I never saw one in Bangalore and spotted just one when I was in Trivandrum.
Same with me. Only one spotting till now, excluding the test drive cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
What about the Renault Scala? I do not see the Scala on our roads at all - if i do, it is a very very rare occurrence. I see the Sunny quite often.

Nissan also had a sports car 370Z in its line up here, i think that should also be included.

Also, the Force One SUV? does it also deserve to be in the list - i think so? - or no?

Frankly i have seen ( still see) more number of TATA Aria taxis than the Renault Scala.
Force 1 and Renault Scala, yes. Even i think they are flops too!

370Z was never meant to sell though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
A lot of Dzire tours (white color with black plastic bumper) do duty as yellow plate office cab / meru cab / cool cab etc - Atleast that's the scene in Kolkata
They sell a lot of taxi cabs, which was the target market. Also, MS dealers convert the cars into LDi versions at a nominal cost by painting the bumpers and putting chrome badges. One of my friends even bought that for family use!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 10:15   #350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
But outsold 3x times by the more expensive Amaze, 2x- 3x times by the Mobilio and 4x - 5x times by the City.

Some flops from MS stable sell twice or thrice these numbers per month (A-star, Zen Estilo). I think it should be relative numbers rather than an absolute value.
I do agree that comparing absolute numbers across segments in meaningless. If we look at relative numbers within the brand, Datsun Go cannot be a flop since it happens to be the best selling Datsun product in India.

However, since Brio and Punto both fall in the same B2 segment, comparing these numbers is fine, since absolute numbers and relative numbers are in the same ratio. Frankly, B2 is too wide a segment now from i10, Figo etc on one end and i20, Polo GT, Punto etc on the other end. It is time we split it into B2 and B3.

Biggest drawback in case of Brio is the additional value that an Amaze provides at the marginally higher price. For those who are on a shoestring budget, they are most likely going to go with cheaper options instead of Brio anyway.

My take is that the market-share within the segment would be a good indicator of the "flop-or-not" question. If a car cannot sell even around 5% of the total sales in that segment, I would put that in the flop bucket.
Old 18th November 2014, 11:24   #351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I think it would be safe to add MS Stingray to the list.
Yes I too would agree to that. However, on my recent trip to Goa noticed few of them. Guess I saw more Stingray's in my one week stay in Goa than what I saw in Bangalore since its launch.
Old 18th November 2014, 12:29   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes I too would agree to that. However, on my recent trip to Goa noticed few of them. Guess I saw more Stingray's in my one week stay in Goa than what I saw in Bangalore since its launch.
Hope you were not seeing the same Sting Ray doing the rounds from different sides

On the serious note, Stingray has certainly failed to make a mark.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 20:33   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
I would add to the list Nissan Micra and Fiat Punto. Sad to see Brio in the flop list. It doesn't seem to rake in large numbers compared to other Hondas or other popular B segment hatches; its a frequent sight in NCR though.
Can you explain why you would like to add Fiat Punto in the flop list? Does monthly sales around 500-800 amount to a flop??
Old 18th November 2014, 20:58   #354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Hope you were not seeing the same Sting Ray doing the rounds from different sides

On the serious note, Stingray has certainly failed to make a mark.
Goa from what I have witnessed over the last 2 years has got a very thick population of WagonR's (in comparison to other cities) in all flavors including good number of Stringray as well. And yes, quite a few Yellow boards are WagonRs too.

So am sure Suhas would have spotted a different Stringray every time .

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th November 2014 at 21:03.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 21:08   #355
Team-BHP Support

Re: Flop cars of India

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
MS Grand Vitara
While Grand Vitara is a flop in new car market, it is one of the hottest cars in used car market. Try buying a used Vitara, and you will know.
Old 18th November 2014, 22:32   #356
BHPian

@maverickxx2006 yeah monthly sales compared to rivals and relative rarity on roads is the reason why cars in this thread are there. Its not just Punto, many other capable cars like Brio, Aria are being forwarded as flops; doesnt mean they are not good cars, just that mass market rejected them
Old 19th November 2014, 00:44   #357
BHPian

Almost all the flop cars mentioned here are only a flop in the new car market, but they rule the used car market. First hand experience last year while hunting for a pre-worshipped Nissan X-trail, MS Grand Vitara and Skoda Laura. All the good ones gone within a day or two of advertising. My uncle had to settle for a 2010 Verna diesel A/T.
Old 19th November 2014, 11:13   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

What were the numbers for the old Hyundai Tucson and how are the sales for the new Hyundai SantaFe? Numbers maybe good perhaps but I've not seen more than 10 Tucsons in total around Pune and not more than 10 SantaFes since launch. Or for the costly premium SUV segment that is sufficient sightings?
Old 19th November 2014, 11:18   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Flop cars of India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
While Grand Vitara is a flop in new car market, it is one of the hottest cars in used car market. Try buying a used Vitara, and you will know.
I think it was launched ahead of its time! Just like Tuscon, or even Fusion.

It's not easy to find a good example in the used car market as this segment has become all the rage today and people are slowly warming up to the concept of compact SUVs.

Had it been launched recently, with a fair amount of localization, it would have been a hit.
Old 19th November 2014, 14:22   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Almost all the flop cars mentioned here are only a flop in the new car market, but they rule the used car market. First hand experience last year while hunting for a pre-worshipped Nissan X-trail, MS Grand Vitara and Skoda Laura. All the good ones gone within a day or two of advertising. My uncle had to settle for a 2010 Verna diesel A/T.
If you think about it, it makes sense from a certain viewpoint. A market flop would be available at a price point a couple of segments lower, thus the overall set of people scouting for something at that price point is much higher than when it was in the showroom. Add to it the fact that it sold in fewer number to begin with, so availability is quite limited.

Also, a lot of knowledgeable folks like those on this forum and elsewhere are increasingly heading towards the used car segment for purchase. And since they are better informed, so can take a calculated risk in going for a market dud if the asking price is low enough.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks