Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 14:42   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Flop cars in our market

Funny thing is, if Maruti sells some model in range of 3000-4000 per month then also it is considered to be a flop. But if other company sells those many numbers, it is supposed to be a hit car

For me biggest flop in India is Ashok Leyland Stile. I never seen a single car on the road till date. That also in city like Pune. Frankly speaking Evalia / Stile duo had the huge potential to be successful in the cab segment. It could have been big threat to Innova / Travera / Xylo etc as it has VFM price tag, better FE, proper 7-8 seater design & enough boot space too. But unfortunately they couldn't market it & their poor dealership network killed the product completely.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 18:39   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
For me biggest flop in India is Ashok Leyland Stile. I never seen a single car on the road till date. That also in city like Pune. Frankly speaking Evalia / Stile duo had the huge potential to be successful in the cab segment. It could have been big threat to Innova / Travera / Xylo etc as it has VFM price tag, better FE, proper 7-8 seater design & enough boot space too. But unfortunately they couldn't market it & their poor dealership network killed the product completely.
Spot on! Really the Stile is a big flop in MH at least. However, I've seen a couple of AL STILEs near Shivaji Nagar / COEP area. Lucky me .

Additionally in what category will the Tata SUMO GRANDE / MK2 fall? We do see it in some numbers on the road. But for its capability (easily a good competitor to entry variant Scoprio and Innova and specifications AND TML's market reach, I think it still failed big time to make headway in the market share. Eventually getting phased out and replaced by the MOVUS (with insanely small 15" wheels for a vehicle as large as a Safari).

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th November 2014 at 18:45.
Old 19th November 2014, 21:07   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Force 1 and Renault Scala, yes. Even i think they are flops too!
Can't say that Renault Scala is a flop car. It sells well in the cities where there are no Nissan dealerships. Same case with the Pulse. If you are talking w.r.t. monthly sales, then I will remain numb :rolleyes:
Old 20th November 2014, 10:55   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

How about the Renault KOLEOS? Apologies if it is already mentioned...
Old 20th November 2014, 15:55   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I think you should include the following as well.

4. Etios Liva Cross
Actually Etios Liva Cross is not a total flop. about 6000 + vehicles have been sold in last 6 months (May-Oct). So although its not a hit, it can not be called a flop as well. Surely Toyota did not intend to compete against Duster or Ecosport with this one
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 21:52   #366
BHPian

Also Premier 138D (118NE Diesel edition)
Old 20th November 2014, 22:12   #367
BHPian

1. The FIAT PALIO may have failed because of a wrong marketing strategy but it is not a BAD car. Try the 1.3 multijet FIAT PALIO. It is better than the swift diesel.

2. The CHEVROLET CRV was a big FLOP. Very expensive. But still you will get spare parts as many Optras ply on Indian roads.

3. Have you heard of the MAHINDRA VOYAGER and MAHINDRA SCORPIO 116 PETROL REV? You can see the Voyager in a Hindi movie-Mission Istanbul.

4. The Peugeot 309 was a gem but the company flopped not the car.

5. The Opel Vectra was too quirky and expensive.

6. The Ford Mondeo is a rare car. Tutu Dhawan CNBC Awaaz car expert has one.

7.Can we count the Tata Indigo Marina, Skoda Fabia (with a bigger rear, I forgot the name-Can anyone tell me?), Grand Vitara, Maruti Kizahsi in this list?
Old 20th November 2014, 22:46   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit mishra View Post
1. The FIAT PALIO may have failed because of a wrong marketing strategy but it is not a BAD car. Try the 1.3 multijet FIAT PALIO. It is better than the swift diesel.

2. The CHEVROLET CRV was a big FLOP. Very expensive. But still you will get spare parts as many Optras ply on Indian roads.

3. Have you heard of the MAHINDRA VOYAGER and MAHINDRA SCORPIO 116 PETROL REV? You can see the Voyager in a Hindi movie-Mission Istanbul.

4. The Peugeot 309 was a gem but the company flopped not the car.

5. The Opel Vectra was too quirky and expensive.

6. The Ford Mondeo is a rare car. Tutu Dhawan CNBC Awaaz car expert has one.

7.Can we count the Tata Indigo Marina, Skoda Fabia (with a bigger rear, I forgot the name-Can anyone tell me?), Grand Vitara, Maruti Kizahsi in this list?
I think you mean Chevy SRV. One stays in my area with a free flow exhaust!

Fabia with a bigger back? Do you mean the Skoda Octavia Combi? Even that used to stay in my area. But it wasnt a standard one, it was the vRS!

Tata Indigo Marina sold very well in fact. It was the only successfully sold station wagon in India! You can call the Fiat Palio Adventure and Maruti Baleno Altura as flop cars.
Old 11th December 2014, 00:30   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
I think you mean Chevy SRV. One stays in my area with a free flow exhaust!

Fabia with a bigger back? Do you mean the Skoda Octavia Combi? Even that used to stay in my area. But it wasnt a standard one, it was the vRS!

Tata Indigo Marina sold very well in fact. It was the only successfully sold station wagon in India! You can call the Fiat Palio Adventure and Maruti Baleno Altura as flop cars.
Actually the marina was a flop. The only station wagon which sold and that to initially was the Tata Estate. It was then killed by the Siera.
Old 11th December 2014, 09:57   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshpawar View Post
Also Premier 138D (118NE Diesel edition)
138D did very well for itself in the start years.

Infact, it was a pretty sought after model in the 90s.
One of the earlier Padminis with the floor gear and a clock in the dash.
Old 11th December 2014, 10:04   #371
Senior - BHPian

I have a submission for this thread -

Force/Trax Gurkha

It was a Market Flop in all it's previous launches, and looks almost certain to be a Flop in it's latest launch as well.
True, it has it's fan following (most of whom have never bought or even driven one!), and it is a capable off-roader, but it NEVER WAS and STILL ISN'T a marketable and salable product for the vast majority. That implies it is rightly a Flop.
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 02:30   #372

I don't see it being discussed here that much but if there's one car that colossally failed to match expectations then it's the Tata Nano... Surely it counts as a flop given that everyone expected it to trump the Alto when it was first revealed...
Some other cars that come to my mind which haven't been discussed yet.

1) Tata Bolt (early days but I think it's already doomed)
2) Hindustan Avigo (I don't think this stylish Amby ever caught on)
3) Daewoo Nexia (the Cielo was a big hit but this one tanked big time)
4) Premier Rio (then again, how serious is PAL as an automaker anyway)
5) The entire Volvo range (don't think they've really been able to establish themselves as a rival to the German brands)
RitanRex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 16:24   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitanRex View Post
I don't see it being discussed here that much but if there's one car that colossally failed to match expectations then it's the Tata Nano... Surely it counts as a flop given that everyone expected it to trump the Alto when it was first revealed...
Some other cars that come to my mind which haven't been discussed yet.

1) Tata Bolt (early days but I think it's already doomed)
2) Hindustan Avigo (I don't think this stylish Amby ever caught on)
3) Daewoo Nexia (the Cielo was a big hit but this one tanked big time)
4) Premier Rio (then again, how serious is PAL as an automaker anyway)
5) The entire Volvo range (don't think they've really been able to establish themselves as a rival to the German brands)
The Nano has been plagued with one problem after the other, starting from factory relocation. I've driven one and found it adequate for that price range. The biggest let down may have been the price IMO. It was hyped as the Rs. 1 lakh car while in reality it comes dangerously close to Alto/800 which is a tried, tested and more VFM car. Looks are a concern too. To a lot of people the 800 looked more like a car than the Nano. Thus Nano ended up costing almost as much as an Alto/800 but with the added tag of being the cheapest car.

True, Tata tasted success with the Indica/Vista but why does every Tata vehicle(Sumo, Safari exceptions)have look like a Vista? Even the new Zest and Bolt look like Vistas! Bolt looks more like a facelift version of Vista than an all new car. Why stick to the same design? Cant they come up with something new? Best not to talk about lack of marketing/advertising cause that can go on and on.

I may be wrong but wasnt Cielo/Nexia the same thing?

Rio is a joke. Its a pathetic copy of the 1990s Daihatsu Terios and deserves to be a flop. What next for PAL? Rabadge and sell some trashy decade old Chinese junk as a new car?

Volvos, i dunno. They never made any serious attempt to establish in India did they? Their number of dealers in India can be counted on two hands I guess (maybe a toe or two too).
Old 16th September 2015, 17:19   #374
Senior - BHPian

One of the biggest flops in Indian market was new Ford Fiesta for sure. It's very hard to find one on roads. Facelifted one was more flop than the previous one. I guess you just can't call it as a flop, but super duper flop

Currently Lodgy, Enjoy are also in line to be called as a flop.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2015, 17:25   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
True, Tata tasted success with the Indica/Vista but why does every Tata vehicle(Sumo, Safari exceptions)have look like a Vista? Even the new Zest and Bolt look like Vistas! Bolt looks more like a facelift version of Vista than an all new car. Why stick to the same design? Cant they come up with something new? Best not to talk about lack of marketing/advertising cause that can go on and on.
+1.
It is hard to identify Bolt from a Vista, unless you are absolutely sure how the headlights and tail lights looked on Vista.
Of course, there are companies, that stick to the same family faces - and hence are successful due to that too. e.g - VW - Everything from Polo to Passat looks exactly the same. Only the dimensions vary.
But then, Tata's problem is that, Indica has been associated with a taxi for over a decade, and individual car owners hardly aspire to own an Indica these days, though available in the showrooms. So, if a car like Bolt comes out, which has the same family face, nobody bothers to take a look. For B2 segment buyers, looks are important, and they would rather choose a Swift at the same budget, rather than a Bolt.
I believe that one of the reason for Aria's flop (budget & A.S.S reasons aside) is the same Indica / Vista face & design. No Offense Aria Owners - Those who are specific about the comments and opinions from friends & neighbours, reject the car immediately after this first comment: "Why are you buying an Indica at 15L? ". That is the effect of the looks.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks