Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2016, 14:04   #421
BHPian

Re: Flop cars in our market

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Do you know the sales figures of Ritz in June 2016? It does 4k+ and is listed in the top 20 cars in sales
There was a proverb: one swallow does not make the summer! Previously it was hovering around 1.8k. With hesitation only I put it up. I happen to own one!
srikanthns is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 14:23   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
There was a proverb: one swallow does not make the summer! Previously it was hovering around 1.8k. With hesitation only I put it up. I happen to own one!
India's no#1 car manufacturer, Maruti, has produced a number of flop cars!!

- AStar
- Ritz
- Baleno Sedan
- SX4
- Kizashi
- Zen Estilo
- Versa

We can now add the following recent cars to that list
- Celerio
- S-Cross

Last edited by searacer932 : 9th July 2016 at 14:30. Reason: Including Versa
Old 9th July 2016, 14:30   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

- AStar
- Ritz
- Baleno Sedan
- SX4
- Kizashi
- Zen Estilo

- Celerio
- S-Cross
I agree with the rest. But Sx4? The petrol SX4 really sold well in my opinion. Cant compare to hatchback numbers because of its size and price.
Old 9th July 2016, 14:32   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
I agree with the rest. But Sx4? The petrol SX4 really sold well in my opinion. Cant compare to hatchback numbers because of its size and price.
I believe it did well for the first year and then the Honda City came and killed it off. And Maruti were so nervous about the name "SX4" that they dropped that name in their premium crossover and just named it as "S-Cross" in India.

Have just included Versa in the above list. Also, was just looking at the numbers for Celerio and it seems to have done quite well. So, may have to strike off Celerio from that list

Last edited by searacer932 : 9th July 2016 at 14:39.
Old 9th July 2016, 14:44   #425
BHPian

Quote:
I believe it did well for the first year and then the Honda City came and killed it off.
Thats a sad thing. If you ask me, the SX4 is the best overall car to ever launch in India (yes, that good). Great motor, handling, comfort, tyres, suspension. Everything!
naturaldisaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 16:27   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Celerio
- S-Cross
No way these can be called flops buddy. S-Cross might be selling less by Maruti small car standards, but it still sells way too many cars per month to be called as a flop. And its not the average small car priced Maruti to consider 2k units as a flop number. With the chrome lipped facelift on the way, it might recover as well.

Celerio was a hit specially with the AMT. I believe Celerio diesel variant flopped though.

Flop cars in our market-156570.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th July 2016 at 16:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 16:54   #427
BHPian

I guess major upset without parallel in the market is the Nano. But as a portfolio the maximum failures have been with ssangyong, Fiat Chevrolet and Tata.
Amongst the small companies premier Rio , force one are all duds.
Old 10th July 2016, 10:52   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
No way these can be called flops buddy. S-Cross might be selling less by Maruti small car standards, but it still sells way too many cars per month to be called as a flop. And its not the average small car priced Maruti to consider 2k units as a flop number. With the chrome lipped facelift on the way, it might recover as well.
Agree that Celerio is not a flop. S-cross is surely a flop. S-Cross's competitor Creta has been selling 7K-8K consistently every month since launch. S-cross is around 2K only, in spite of the price cut and Maruti's strong A.S.S

Last edited by searacer932 : 10th July 2016 at 11:05.
Old 10th July 2016, 14:57   #429
BHPian

I think Tata leads the list with Aria, Bolt etc. I personally liked the Aria as it reminds me of Estate, the 90s were the heyday for TATA with Sierra and Estate both being premium cars of that era. After the indicas and safaris got outdated Tata is on the ropes.

Another absolute flop is Mahindra's vibe
Old 10th July 2016, 15:12   #430
Senior - BHPian

Did the STILE feature here? Leyland's hand at producing cars? I remember seeing just 1 car thus far, and that too, in some highway off Tamilnadu. Havent see such a major flop of a car ever.
Old 11th July 2016, 16:12   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- AStar
- Ritz
- Baleno Sedan
- SX4
- Kizashi
- Zen Estilo
- Versa

- Celerio
- S-Cross
Apart from the Kizashi and Grand Vitara, I see more than plenty of all the other cars you listed on the roads. Poor sales maybe but definitely not that bad to warrant being called a flop. S-Cross for example still sells more than the popular Duster. We need to stop thinking purely in terms of opposites; not being a success does not default being a flop You can add the Baleno Altura to that list though, together with the Kiz and GV, they make the biggest market failures from MS.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 11th July 2016 at 16:17.
Old 11th July 2016, 16:23   #432
BHPian

Quote:

- AStar
- Ritz
- Baleno Sedan
- SX4
- Kizashi
- Zen Estilo
- Versa

- Celerio
- S-Cross
I wouldnt categorize the Ritz or SX4 flop per se. Sx4 did pretty OK before Honda City came along and destroyed it. Ritz does pretty well but when compared to the swift it does poorly. But still can see a large amount on the road to not categorize it as a flop. Agree with all the rest though(Dont even remember the versa and when it was discontinued .

S-Cross with Anil Kapoor as brand ambassador claiming to fight crime in 24 from his S-Cross !!!
Old 12th July 2016, 09:52   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
S-Cross for example still sells more than the popular Duster. We need to stop thinking purely in terms of opposites; not being a success does not default being a flop You can add the Baleno Altura to that list though, together with the Kiz and GV, they make the biggest market failures from MS.
Agree that S-Cross sells more than the Duster but the Duster was selling 3K to 4K units every month in it's first couple of years of launch and only now the numbers have dropped to less than 2K. S-Cross is selling only around 2K in it's first year, so I will not be surprised if the numbers drop down further.

Last edited by searacer932 : 12th July 2016 at 09:54.
Old 12th July 2016, 09:57   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree that S-Cross sells more than the Duster but the Duster was selling 3K to 4K units every month in it's first couple of years of launch and only now the numbers have dropped to less than 2K. S-Cross is selling only around 2K in it's first year, so I will not be surprised if the numbers drop down further.
S Cross is currently available in the diesel variant and at a time when the market shift is to petrol.
Guess with the Petrol variant of S Cross due shortly it will cross the 2k mark comfortably.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 09:59   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
S Cross is currently available in the diesel variant and at a time when the market shift is to petrol.
Guess with the Petrol variant of S Cross due shortly it will cross the 2k mark comfortably.
Good point. Volume could go up once it's launched with a good petrol engine. I can see that in UK market S-Cross has the M16A petrol engine. Also, an automatic will help further. Do we know the split of diesel sales to petrol sales in Creta?

Last edited by searacer932 : 12th July 2016 at 10:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks