Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:40   #136
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Yes, obviously they will have to look at local production, as this engine can go into a no. of other cars as well (Fabia, Rapid, Vento etc.).
I also sincerely hope that the 1.2 TSI is localised and becomes the bread-butter petrol engine for VW mainstream cars. Any references about engine production seen in the press?
Old 3rd March 2013, 14:08   #137
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Spotted a white polo bearing GT TSI badges on rear hatch door as well as rear quarter panel. I will check if I can manage to hear engine & exhaust sound.
My guess is launch would be 3 to 6 months away.
Old 3rd March 2013, 22:53   #138
Senior - BHPian

Classic example of price blunder is/was Honda Jazz which only began to move numbers after its price was dropped.

Indian hatch market is all about moving number and not the premium types of Mini or Fiat 500 or Beetle!

A well equipped premium hatch has be placed under Rs 8 lakhs or else it walks into a different segment altogether.

What pricing do the full options of current popular hatches sell at? the like of polo, fabia, i20, figo, swift, punto etc?

Since 1.6 polo came in the full option variant, will VW offer a low variant of TSI just to keep the price low and to get into a volume game or the TSI will come as just fully loaded?

Im sure this TSI is the nearest what us indians will get compared to the GTI version of POLO!
Old 5th March 2013, 00:56   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Classic example of price blunder is/was Honda Jazz which only began to move numbers after its price was dropped.

A well equipped premium hatch has be placed under Rs 8 lakhs or else it walks into a different segment altogether.

Since 1.6 polo came in the full option variant, will VW offer a low variant of TSI just to keep the price low and to get into a volume game or the TSI will come as just fully loaded?
I couldn't agree more.
I myself don't like the rumors of them introducing it with a DSG autobox, hence speculatively at the high end, where OTR might be just shy of a 7 figure no. Even a manual HL won't be anything less than 8 lakh.

Perhaps VW doesn't want to get into the volume game at all with the VW brand of cars.
After all they have decided to change their strategy to keep Skoda cars at a lower segment than the VW brand in India.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4064576.ece

But whatever be their game, I'm eager to exchange my Polo for a TSi engined one. Despite the obvious losses.
Old 5th March 2013, 10:23   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envy View Post
I couldn't agree more.
I myself don't like the rumors of them introducing it with a DSG autobox, hence speculatively at the high end, where OTR might be just shy of a 7 figure no. Even a manual HL won't be anything less than 8 lakh.

Perhaps VW doesn't want to get into the volume game at all with the VW brand of cars.
After all they have decided to change their strategy to keep Skoda cars at a lower segment than the VW brand in India.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4064576.ece

But whatever be their game, I'm eager to exchange my Polo for a TSi engined one. Despite the obvious losses.
Polo TSI with DSG, is not required for india market in the Polo as the price will hit the roof for a small hatch car like Polo and will not move large numbers.

Lets hope VW sticks to the stick and keep the price factor in check to take full advantage of 1.2 engine, sub 4 meter size and TSI as a bonus.

Economy and Power mix at its best. I personally prefer engine performance over features in a car.
Old 5th March 2013, 12:08   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Polo TSI with DSG, is not required for india market in the Polo as the price will hit the roof for a small hatch car like Polo and will not move large numbers.

Lets hope VW sticks to the stick and keep the price factor in check to take full advantage of 1.2 engine, sub 4 meter size and TSI as a bonus.

Economy and Power mix at its best. I personally prefer engine performance over features in a car.
Agree with you on that, just that the performance should be outstanding and not just sub par.

Same reason why the enthusiasts hounded the 1.8TSI Laura instead of high on feature sub par sedans. I hope VW follows same strategy.
Old 5th March 2013, 16:34   #142
BHPian

I for one is eagerly waiting for the TSI with DSG.

After reading so many reviews and lot of you tube videos, i just couldn't control my excitement if i think of the DSG. I'm pretty sure that an affordable DSG < 9 lakh OTR can make a sea change in how people perceive automatic transmissions. The DSG in a small car like polo even seems to be more fun than a MT for that.

Of course all this is after a big BUT regarding the pricing though.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:09   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
I for one is eagerly waiting for the TSI with DSG.

After reading so many reviews and lot of you tube videos, i just couldn't control my excitement if i think of the DSG. I'm pretty sure that an affordable DSG < 9 lakh OTR can make a sea change in how people perceive automatic transmissions. The DSG in a small car like polo even seems to be more fun than a MT for that.

Of course all this is after a big BUT regarding the pricing though.
How many 9 lakh Rs worth DSG would VW be able to move off the shelves?

Not many to justify the launch of the DSG instead of manual!

Lets be reasonable and expect VW to the launch of TSI manual and under 8 Lakh rs.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:56   #144
BHPian

The new Ford Fiesta comes with an optional Dual Clutch automatic transmission. Don't see many takers for that. For the aam janta, automatic is an automatic however I'm sure VW will market the DSG way better than Ford India has managed to.
Old 15th March 2013, 15:15   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

LHD version seen in pune, speculate that the TSI release is near (2014 though)

Quote:

It is to be noted that VW India is planing to launch the more powerful Polo 1.2 TSI and Polo 1.6 GTD versions in the domestic market, according to some media reports. We suspect that these variants would be exported as well.

Old 15th March 2013, 23:12   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
LHD version seen in pune, speculate that the TSI release is near (2014 though)

LHD Polo explains the success Polo Sedan had in the UAE and rest of the Gulf.

Introducing the Polo hatch in 1.6 or 1.2 TSI would take on the likes of Peugeot 208, Fabia, Audi A1 (polo based) etc. which previously it struggled against.

Polo in the UAE was discountinued because of its high cost as it use to come from germany.

Incidently there is a Fabia RS 1.4 FSI sold in the UAE which is 180BHP!

http://skoda-uae.com/Fabia_RS_specs.php
Old 31st March 2013, 19:34   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

VW to launch the Polo 1.2 TSI in a months time, tweets Hormazd!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st March 2013, 20:48   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
VW to launch the Polo 1.2 TSI in a months time, tweets Hormazd!

Cheers!
So, the performance hatchbacks are back.

Want VFM performance? Take Liva 1.5
Want more juice and style? Take Polo 1.2 TSi.
Want even more juice and exclusivity? Take Punto Abarth.

None of these cars may be high-sellers, but will be worshipped several years down the line for sure.

How I wish I could afford one. Hopefully, five years down the line, I can get a smashing hatchback instead of a regular mid size sedan.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 16:22   #149
Senior - BHPian

Somehow, I have a feeling that the 1.2 will be priced lower than the 1.6 engine ex-showroom. The 1.2 enjoys excise benifits where the 1.6 didnt. Pricing it any higher will not make the car attractive enough to generate volumes. Also hope that this is launched in all trims and not just the highline.
Old 1st April 2013, 17:43   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So, the performance hatchbacks are back.

Want VFM performance? Take Liva 1.5
Want more juice and style? Take Polo 1.2 TSi.
Want even more juice and exclusivity? Take Punto Abarth.
Well thats the list but:
Liva 1.5 - Not sure what performance advantage would it provide against its sedan version. People would still be hesitant to buy a 7+ OTR petrol hatchback. The sedan 1.5 would still be more practical and equally fun.

Polo - hope they improve the light steering response. A very capable car if priced right.

The Punto Abarth would be far from juicy as Abarth is not bringing in any performance options + the car weighs like an elephant which kindof takes way a good FE proportion as well as performance.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks