Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 18:19   #151
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Somehow, I have a feeling that the 1.2 will be priced lower than the 1.6 engine ex-showroom. The 1.2 enjoys excise benifits where the 1.6 didnt. Pricing it any higher will not make the car attractive enough to generate volumes. Also hope that this is launched in all trims and not just the highline.
True on the benefits. But the only issue is they would charge their price for the new technology. And if DSG gets added then even more on that. As I mentioned early it would be good to see this engine become the mainstream petrol engine for VW with mass production happening here. Else I dont see any other option for reduction in price.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 20:36   #152
BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
...it would be good to see this engine become the mainstream petrol engine for VW with mass production happening here.
This doesn't look practical to me.

The 1.2 TSI is producing power identical to existing 1.6 NA engine so theoretically they can replace the 1.6 with the 1.2 TSI but the problem is that most people in India still read power from displacement/CC. 1.6 ltr or 1600cc sounds better to most of them compared to 1.2 ltr or 1200cc.

Another issue is the TSI engines are more sophisticated and need more accurate workmanship while servicing or fixing them. And this situation may fix "unreliable" stamp on that engine because we will definitely see more failures cases of this engine compared to NA petrol engine, doesn't matter if that is because of improper usage/handling by the owner/driver or by the service stations.

An small example - the additional idling while turning off the engine is more important in case of turbo charged engines. And I doubt most of the petrol car users will easily adopt and follow that thumb-rule religiously. It will result into more number of conked off turbos. (experts please correct me if I am wrong about any technical explanation here)

Indian automobile market is still not used to of the turbo charged petrol engines. It will take some time and manufacturers are trying to introduce the turbo charged petrol engines in the market gradually which is right thing.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st April 2013 at 20:38.
Old 1st April 2013, 20:43   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

Thats what I meant. IF 1.2 TSI is to become mainstream and price sanitisation has to happen, development in this directions needs to go through.
On the hindsight it may not be that impractical. If Ford can plan an ecoboost production in India, why cant VW? Of course the numbers do need to add to make it a worthy proposition for VW.

DSG would surely make it costly. But TSI? I think there is still a slim hope!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:05   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Thats what I meant. IF 1.2 TSI is to become mainstream and price sanitisation has to happen, development in this directions needs to go through.
On the hindsight it may not be that impractical. If Ford can plan an ecoboost production in India, why cant VW? Of course the numbers do need to add to make it a worthy proposition for VW.

DSG would surely make it costly. But TSI? I think there is still a slim hope!
I think both of us talking about two different things here
I got your point, you are talking about mainly the cost proposition here but I am more worried about the 'complexity' of the engine compared to the simpler naturally aspired non-turbo engine.
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:58   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think both of us talking about two different things here
I got your point, you are talking about mainly the cost proposition here but I am more worried about the 'complexity' of the engine compared to the simpler naturally aspired non-turbo engine.
I do get your point. It is complicated no doubt. What I meant in this regard was that, there has to be a progress of technology as well. How long we continue on the same plateau? People need to embrace the newer technology and off course the new technology should yield return of investment to both the maker and the buyer. That means less failure rates, ease of adaptation, price effectiveness, easier maintenance etc.

Then only a newer technology would be successful and effective at the same time.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd April 2013 at 10:01.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:01   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The Punto Abarth would be far from juicy as Abarth is not bringing in any performance options + the car weighs like an elephant which kindof takes way a good FE proportion as well as performance.
Sir, please read relevant threads before repeating the same old elephant FIAT comments. Or atleast mention the source of info when making such big statements.

1. Enrico Atanasio had made it clear that we wont be getting diluted cars in India but the real deal.

2. Car spotted testing was an 'esseesse' version with 180 bhp on tap! Power to weight of 156.8 bhp/ton. Even if it gets detuned to 160bhp, it will still have 135 bhp/ton. To put things in perspective - BMW 320D 127 bhp/ton, Laura vRS - 119.4 bhp/ton. VW Polo TSi/ Liva 1.5 are nowhere near in comparison.

3. Even if they drop that plans and simply plonk the current T-Jet into this car, it can beat the other hot hatches left, right and center in terms of performance. Read Linea T-Jet official review for more details.

4. Further discussions will take us way off topic in this thread. Feel free to drop by http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...inside-26.html and lets continue further discussions there.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd April 2013 at 11:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 12:07   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I do get your point. It is complicated no doubt. What I meant in this regard was that, there has to be a progress of technology as well. How long we continue on the same plateau? People need to embrace the newer technology and off course the new technology should yield return of investment to both the maker and the buyer. That means less failure rates, ease of adaptation, price effectiveness, easier maintenance etc.

Then only a newer technology would be successful and effective at the same time.
Good point. To add-on, the said 1.2 TSI is not really a new engine. It has been used in the VW group’s small car space for a while. Infact in many markets the base variant of the Jetta gets the same 1.2 TSI (105bhp). I guess we’ll pretty soon get accustomed to the idea of downsized petrol engines. We already have the 1.4 T-Jet from Fiat, 1.4 TSI from VW, and the trend should get more mass-market with the launch of Ecosport with the 1.0L Ecoboost.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:23   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The 1.2 TSI is producing power identical to existing 1.6 NA engine so theoretically they can replace the 1.6 with the 1.2 TSI but the problem is that most people in India still read power from displacement/CC. 1.6 ltr or 1600cc sounds better to most of them compared to 1.2 ltr or 1200cc.
I would like to believe that the Indian car buyer will see it the other way. He gets power equal to a 1.6 ltr engine from a 1.2 ltr engine which means same fun with more efficiency. I don't think car buyers in India just look at engine displacement today.

Quote:
Another issue is the TSI engines are more sophisticated and need more accurate workmanship while servicing or fixing them. And this situation may fix "unreliable" stamp on that engine because we will definitely see more failures cases of this engine compared to NA petrol engine, doesn't matter if that is because of improper usage/handling by the owner/driver or by the service stations.
Sophistacation does not mean unreliability. When cars adopted mpfi technology from the erstwhile carburated versions did it make cars unreliable? Infact it is a selling point for manufacturers. Remember how Honda marketed and branded its Vtec technology or Toyota its VVTi technology.

As Vb-san mentions, VW's TSI engines have been around for some time around the world. Even in India, Skoda and VW have been selling cars with TSI engines since 2009. I can't remember reading a single report of engine related failures, not on our forum nor elsewhere on the net.

Quote:
An small example - the additional idling while turning off the engine is more important in case of turbo charged engines. And I doubt most of the petrol car users will easily adopt and follow that thumb-rule religiously.
How many diesel car owners practice this? WHen people could adapt to turbo charged diesel cars from NA petrol cars, how hard will it be to adapt to turbo charged petrol cars?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 2nd April 2013 at 15:45.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:24   #159
BHPian

Good news!

I only hope the 1.2 TSI is a replacement for the current 1.2 MPI and NOT the 1.6

While they're at it, VW should consider plonking the 1.4 TSI (currently available in the Jetta) into the Polo. That would be a fun car to drive

Last edited by speed kills : 2nd April 2013 at 17:26.
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:58   #160
BHPian

Hormazd latest tweet confirms polo GT 1.2 TSI with 7 speed DSG launch this month
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:02   #161
BHPian

Volkswagen launches Polo 1.2 TSI

Hormazd Sorabjee just tweeted this :

@hormazdsorabjee: Its official! VW announces launch of Polo GT with 1.2 TSI engine and 7-speed DSG gearbox. April launch. We broke the news last year!

So, seems Volkswagen is indeed launching the Polo TSI!
This is good news for us petrolheads!
nipcarlover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:26   #162
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen launches Polo 1.2 TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Hormazd Sorabjee just tweeted this :

@hormazdsorabjee: Its official! VW announces launch of Polo GT with 1.2 TSI engine and 7-speed DSG gearbox. April launch. We broke the news last year!

So, seems Volkswagen is indeed launching the Polo TSI!
This is good news for us petrolheads!
That is some really exciting news.

Now the thing is that its going to come with the 7 speed DSG? Hope the price doesn't skyrocket. Also what about the reliability of the notorious 7 speed DSG in the supposedly volume market Polo?
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:41   #163
BHPian

Awesome news! Is there a link to the official VW announcement or press release, since Hormazd said "VW announces"?

Now waiting for pricing information, and the official Team-BHP review!
Old 2nd April 2013, 20:57   #164
Senior - BHPian

So the 1.6TDI isn't far away then ? I hope VW launches it atleast by Q3 2013. Somehow with the DSG and the 1.2TSI I don't think it'll be priced around the same as the erstwhile Polo 1.6, this one will surely be much more expensive.

I hope the 1.2TSI is offered with a manual option as well,to keep the prices down and generate volumes,and for us enthusiasts. As for me,eagerly waiting for the 1.6TDI launch
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:11   #165
BHPian

As good as this sounds, I am very wary of the 7-speed DSG. VW still has not provided a solution yet, or has it? I would rather prefer a reliable manual over this.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks