Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:02   #181
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
VW must have also realized that if Ford plans to bring in the 1L ecoboost, they need some plan to have a similar one. Esp. given the fact that they have it in their kitty already. Its now for others to up the game. Fiat will already roll in this year. Lets see what others bring to the table.
And one that can be used across a wide range of vehicles. Specs of 105hp/ 175 Nm wont look too out of place on a min-SUV (Like Ecosport), sedan, mini - MUV ( Like Ertiga) and the likes.

With FIAT - its a different story. Their numbers wont be good enough for them to localize these engines, but I still appreciate them for trying.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:23   #182
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
I am not particularly impressed by the stats and the figures either , 105bhp / 175Nm is not exactly a definition for a true hot hatch but like you said , given the choices that we have available with us ( which are next to none) its a good thing nevertheless.

Read on the below link that the fuel efficiency is a claimed 17kmpl , which gets me to think that the engine would not be , maybe , as tuned for performance as it can be and that what it is capable of dishing out is greater than the numbers we have above.
This engine is known to be extremely fuel-efficient. Here in Singapore, it has a claimed average user mileage of around 6.1 litre/100km, which is quite impressive. And it can do 0-100 in less than 10 seconds.
It maybe a bit lower in Indian driving conditions, but 14-15kmpl should be realistic.
Old 3rd April 2013, 14:24   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
More details on the Polo 1.2TSI. Launch would be in end April ( 25th?) and will come only with a 7-Speed DSG gearbox

http://motorbash.com/spied-two-mules...ch-this-month/
If i'm not mistaken, isn't the 1.2 TSI that is available in the polo worldover a 4 cylinder engine?

Few supposed spy shots of the Polo 1.2 TSI from OD. They say its similar to recently launched Polo SR with metal pedals and AT.

http://www.overdrive.in/details/3111...-expected-soon

Last edited by drpudhi : 3rd April 2013 at 14:44.
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:03   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
If i'm not mistaken, isn't the 1.2 TSI that is available in the polo worldover a 4 cylinder engine?
1.2 TSI engine is a completely different engine and has four cylenders. Its not based on 1.2 R3 available in India, neither it has any other relation with that engine.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:04   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not particularly impressed by the stats and the figures either , 105bhp / 175Nm is not exactly a definition for a true hot hatch but like you said , given the choices that we have available with us ( which are next to none) its a good thing nevertheless.

Read on the below link that the fuel efficiency is a claimed 17kmpl , which gets me to think that the engine would not be , maybe , as tuned for performance as it can be and that what it is capable of dishing out is greater than the numbers we have above.

105 horses was never a true hot hatch, but in a country that does not want to buy a 15lakh tricked out version of the first car their neighbors' kid got on his birthday, it would be silly to offer one. Which is why companies like vw play it safe by offering a far cheaper option with the best of both worlds. That being said 105 horses in a light PETROL vehicle will offer quite a punch. And yes you are right the car wont be tuned to deliver the most it can and that is because every car is detuned to an extent to account for customers skipping service intervals and a little abnormal use that the universe might chuck at it. On top of that cars come here even more detuned because of our climate and road conditions. The very reson why VW spent resources on developing tsi tech was because of the fact that forced induction allows one to use a smaller displacement engine in this case something as small as 1200cc which is why it is able to be more efficient. Being up for excise duty benefits in our country was just a happy byproduct . I am still sure that it is not tuned solely with economy in mind it will definitely give quite a few cars a run for their money between the lights

Last edited by IshaanIan : 3rd April 2013 at 17:17.
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:11   #186
Senior - BHPian

Never meant that , my point was that the tuning would have been done keeping fuel economy as a significant criterion in mind as well - not the sole criterion but a significant one. and i agree with what you are saying , and i meant exactly that - given our choices etc this is what we will get - tell me about it i own the Fabia 1.6!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I am still sure that it is not tuned solely with economy in mind it will definitely give quite a few cars a run for their money between the lights
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:51   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Never meant that , my point was that the tuning would have been done keeping fuel economy as a significant criterion in mind as well - not the sole criterion but a significant one. and i agree with what you are saying , and i meant exactly that - given our choices etc this is what we will get - tell me about it i own the Fabia 1.6!!
I think the 105 ps/175 Nm configuration is the highest state of tune for this particular 4 cylinder 1.2 TSI engine the world over. The next powerful Polo available comes with the 1.4 TSI engine.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...petrol_engines

Last edited by drpudhi : 3rd April 2013 at 17:52.
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:44   #188
BHPian

Great to hear that VW has decided to launch a new engine variant on the Polo.

If the new 1.2 TSI unit replaces the 1.6 and as the article on OD claims that it will come with a 6-speed or 7-speed DSG, will VW not provide an MT option at all. That would be sad. A hot hatch with an MT option is always welcome.
The current Polo 1.6 comes with a manual option only AFAIK.
Old 4th April 2013, 09:39   #189
BANNED

Volkswagen To Launch Polo GT 1.2 TSI On 25th April

Complete article - http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/volksw...th-april-2013/
Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/volksw...frkxd6hsvAb.99
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 10:43   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More details on the Polo 1.2TSI. Launch would be in end April ( 25th?) and will come only with a 7-Speed DSG gearbox
Launch on 25th speculated price to be to the ~ a lakh more than the current 1.2P Highline.

The Volkswagen Polo GT will be powered by a 1.2-litre TSI petrol engine which generates 104 BHP of peak power at 5000 RPM and 175 Nm of peak torque at 1500 RPM, mated to a 7-speed DSG transmission.

Cheers!
Old 4th April 2013, 12:43   #191
BHPian

I am tempted since its a TSI engine with DSG (We have a superb at home which is a similar combination (1.8 liter engine but) and we love it ). we did have a huge issue with DSG once but keeping it as an isolated issue it has been otherwise perfect.

My constant flip flop from Duster to Eco-sport has kept me confused so far. Now that the ecosport looks very distant (July), i am seriously thinking of going back to Polo which i always liked for its clean & elegant design. My only grouse is the rear legroom which is critical in our family as we are all 6 footers.

Nonetheless it will mostly be used for self driving and so it i do get the polo close to 8 lakhs OTR, i might just book it. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by urajkumar : 4th April 2013 at 12:55.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:48   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
My only grouse is the rear legroom which is critical in our family as we are all 6 footers.
If rear legroom is of primary concern then the Polo will disappoint you.

Cheers1
Old 4th April 2013, 13:19   #193
BHPian

Quote:
If rear legroom is of primary concern then the Polo will disappoint you.

Cheers1
True. however the ford ecosport does not seem any better than Polo in that aspect. I am waiting to see the Ecosport in flesh next week in Chennai and then take a call if its worth the wait. Also if Polo manages to give a good entry cost, then it might confuse me even more.
Old 4th April 2013, 13:32   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Also if Polo manages to give a good entry cost, then it might confuse me even more.
Hope your wishes come true.
But they have learnt the lesson on 'good entry' by the launch of the 1.6P Polo, which was subsequently withdrawn.
So pricing of the TSI and that too with DSG would be more by a lakh(minimum) or so than the current 1.2P Highline.

Cheers!
Old 5th April 2013, 08:09   #195
BHPian

Quote:

The Volkswagen Polo GT will be powered by a 1.2-litre TSI petrol engine which generates 104 BHP of peak power at 5000 RPM and 175 Nm of peak torque at 1500 RPM, mated to a 7-speed DSG transmission.

Cheers!
As is often said, people buy horsepower, but drive torque. Look at where the peak torque of 175Nm arrives at - 1500 RPM! Now compare this with the current 1.6L which achieves at peak torque of 153Nm at 3800 RPM. It should be obvious that the driveabilty of the 1.2 TSI will be far superior to the 1.6, specially in city traffic. The higher torque will also allow for taller gearing, which will enable far superior fuel economy as well.

Reliability of the turbo should be a non issue. The fan and oil pump remain on for a few minutes (depending upon temperature) even after the car has been turned off. The TSI engine has been in production for over 5 years.

I have a 2.0 TSI Passat and I have to say the low down torque is amazing. Think of it as an engine that has the low RPM torque benefits of a diesel, while having the broad power band of a petrol. To some, these engines sound rather rough - almost diesel like, but I kind of think it gives the car character.

Here is a link that summarizes the changes in VW engine strategy moving forward. http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speak...idt_oliver.pdf

I suspect the "new" 1.2 TSI is actually part of the mature/older EA 111 series. The next generation EA 211 is just in the process of being unveiled just as VW/Audi is in the process of unveiling the next gen EA 888 engines (1.8L and greater).
goacom is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks