Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2012, 13:54   #31
BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

@acroback

when it will be launched, it will define the premium hatch definition for some. it won't be aimed for regular hatch buyers but young enthusiasts and latest tech hungry people who can live without notch. I am sure this category of people will appreciate the affordable tech goodness.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:03   #32
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
@PPS Not sure of your source. I searched and the closest I came to was http://http://www.autocarindia.com/N...est-drive.aspx. But this does not talk of 1.2 TSI with 7 speed DSG launch.Could you point us towards the source?Cheers,
You need to watch the show on the weekend. I too couldn't find anything on their website, maybe they will update it after a couple of days.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:02   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
@acroback

when it will be launched, it will define the premium hatch definition for some. it won't be aimed for regular hatch buyers but young enthusiasts and latest tech hungry people who can live without notch. I am sure this category of people will appreciate the affordable tech goodness.
The number of such people is very very low.
Launching a car just to please enthusiasts rarely helps in India. See 1.6 Fiesta Classic failure as an example.

Plus hatchback and premium in same sentence sounds a mistake in India.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:09   #34
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
The number of such people is very very low.
Launching a car just to please enthusiasts rarely helps in India. See 1.6 Fiesta Classic failure as an example.

Plus hatchback and premium in same sentence sounds a mistake in India.
I agree. There are too many such examples where the manufacturer failed + blessed with lot of bad reputation. some of them are
Fiat 1.6 sport, S10, MS Baleno, Chevrolet SRV (many havent heard this name), Linea Tjet, Skoda TSI.
Skoda TSI's sold in some decent numbers, but i personally do not consider them as a success.

Old 26th October 2012, 16:30   #35
BHPian

@arcoback & @ gemi_kk
i understand what you want to say. but when i say that it is aimed to a specific set of people, then i mean it despite the fact that this category has very low numbers behind it.
it is to build an image of that particular tech rather than selling in numbers.
it is not to be linked as success or failure but more towards brand / tech marketing.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

I'm not sure if you all noticed, the fuel requirement on the malaysian review and VW website is 95 RON. Good luck with that if you are going to use this car across the country.
Old 26th October 2012, 17:48   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Polo GT in India will be with 7-Speed DSG. this 7 speed DSG has gone through 2 revisions after the failures were reported. current generation is very well stable and is used with the engines generating < 250NM torque.
Are there plans to bring the Polo GT/GTI in India? IIRC, the GT have the 140ps 1.4 TSI engine, and not the regular 1.2TSI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
7 speed DSG for a mid range hatch sounds too far fetched in India.
I bet VW will not offer DSG 7 speed auto for Polo.
The 7-speed DSG is pretty standard for the Polo 1.2 TSI in international markets. And once the technology is common and available in mass market products, it should not be that expensive to bring in.
Old 27th October 2012, 12:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
You need to watch the show on the weekend. I too couldn't find anything on their website, maybe they will update it after a couple of days.
Just saw the last part of the Autocar show. According to Hormazd, VW is planning a lot of Polo variants. According to him, the following variants are on the anvil:
  1. A Polo with the Vento's 1.6 l diesel engine, which will be labelled the GTD.
  2. The Cross Polo, which mostly will get the new 1.5 diesel which is being developed.
  3. The 1.2 TSI with the 7-speed DSG (no manual option??)

Personally, I am hoping for a 1.2 TSI manual, as it will probably not be ridiculously expensive to buy.
amitg79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 14:04   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Just saw the last part of the Autocar show. According to Hormazd, VW is planning a lot of Polo variants. According to him, the following variants are on the anvil:
  1. A Polo with the Vento's 1.6 l diesel engine, which will be labelled the GTD.
  2. The Cross Polo, which mostly will get the new 1.5 diesel which is being developed.
  3. The 1.2 TSI with the 7-speed DSG (no manual option??)

Personally, I am hoping for a 1.2 TSI manual, as it will probably not be ridiculously expensive to buy.
Are there variants going to come with the present generation Polo or the next generation Polo??
Old 27th October 2012, 15:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
Are there variants going to come with the present generation Polo or the next generation Polo??
It should be with the New Polo expected in 2014, I don't think VW will be making too many changes (read engine,variants etc) to the existing Polo if it expects to roll out the new-gen by 2014.

If Polo is indeed launched with the 1.6tdi, we might finally have a *hot* hatch which won't break your wallet
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 16:03   #41
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINI View Post
I do not know when the next generation Polo will be launched, but all these variants are coming in 2013 is what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
If Polo is indeed launched with the 1.6tdi, we might finally have a *hot* hatch which won't break your wallet
That certainly would be a hot hatch! But i hope Skoda have some plans to spoil the party by launching the same engine in the Fabia which certainly would be marginally cheaper! I certainly dont think they will sell in huge numbers.
Old 27th October 2012, 16:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I do not know when the next generation Polo will be launched, but all these variants are coming in 2013 is what he said.
Lot of media reports which indicate a 2014 launch for the New Polo, I remember Hormazd tweeting about a 4 cyl engine for the Polo,but not before 2014,now he says all variants to launch in 2013. His statements seem contradictory.

Fabia may also be launched, but VW may allow a launch only after Polo like with the Vento and Rapid ? Polo 1.6 tdi will be really expensive I guess, but it'll be the diesel hatch to have if it ever launches.
Old 28th October 2012, 00:01   #43
BHPian

Its possible that this car may just be a mule to test the 1.2 TSI engine for plonking in Vento and Rapid; and may have nothing to do with Polo itself. My reasoning:

1. The 1.2 MPI engine is here to stay till atleast 2014 when Euro6 norms kick in Europe. This is because this engine forms the base variant of just launched Euro Spec Rapid.

2. As has already been posted, this 1.2 TSI engine is the replacement for 1.6 MPI. This engine is not mentioned among available engine options of Skoda and VW UK. Its possible that this engine might have been quietly discontinued.

Here are the engine options for Skoda Octavia UK (They used to have a 1.6 MPI which is now not available):www.skoda.co.uk/gbr/newcars/octavia/performance
Old 1st November 2012, 10:25   #44
BHPian

Got my latest issue of ACI. They say that since the Up! launch has been cancelled, they will have to bank on the Polo to generate volumes. Also, I have read elsewhere that the next gen Polo will not arrive in India till 2015. Hence VW is introducing new variants such as the Cross Polo, the Polo GTD (with the Vento's 1.6 diesel) and the Polo TSI (With the 7-speed DSG).

I have my doubts about the GTD. If they get it, how would they price it? The 1.2 TDI Highline is already very costly at around 8.3 Lakh OTR. And if VW are anyways planning a 1.5 diesel in 2014, would there be a point in introducing a 1.6 diesel in 2013? ACI says the GTD will be here in early 2013.

ACI also predicts that the 1.2 TSI with the DSG should be here by March 2013 and will cost around 8 lakhs. It will be the fastest and most efficient car in its class.

Last edited by amitg79 : 1st November 2012 at 10:27.
amitg79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 10:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79
I have my doubts about the GTD. If they get it, how would they price it? The 1.2 TDI Highline is already very costly at around 8.3 Lakh OTR.&hellip;
My guesstimate is a premium of 1.5-2L for GTD if it comes. Being above the tax bracket, VW immediately loses a ~70,000/- benefit. Add to it the cost of new engine & related mechanicals. Same with the TSI as well; though it gets concessions, the DSG option should be pricey.

Otherwise, VW should be ready to offer these at a very thin profit margin, which I doubt they will do!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks