Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2012, 20:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
No offence to anyone but I don't understand how the 1.2TSi is going to blow away the competition. Petrol car sales are down. Power and torque figures are comparable to the 1.6P. Fuel efficiency won't be much higher in my opinion. Drivability I can't comment on however I assume the 1.2liter cubic capacity will make it eligible for tax breaks.
The 1.2 tsi unit is supposed to give some pretty admirable FE figures. Now the brio sells tonnes and this ought coupled with 100+ hp, should be a success in my opinion.
Old 15th November 2012, 17:11   #47
BANNED

Is this going to be launched for sure...? Should I wait or go for the Brio AT?
Old 15th November 2012, 17:19   #48
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post
Is this going to be launched for sure...? Should I wait or go for the Brio AT?
The 1.2tsi motor is definitely going to be launched but there is no confirmation on the auto-box. Though with this unit driveability ought to be a lot easier than most manuals but if you still want an auto, then go for the brio. It is brilliant and you won't be disappointed.
Old 15th November 2012, 17:49   #49

Looks like we ve got more good news..

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/323...n-its-way.aspx

If it s launched it ll surely scorch the roads..

I hereby defer my purchase plans till this thing hits the showrooms in India
Old 3rd December 2012, 20:15   #50
BANNED

anymore news/updates on the 1.2 Tsi DSG...?
Old 13th December 2012, 00:27   #51
BHPian

Today Overdrive tweeted this link: http://overdrive.in/details/2499/Vol...ngine-in-India

They say they have spotted the TSI test car 3 times now. Anyone hear anything more on this?
Old 13th December 2012, 00:42   #52
BHPian

If this thing does hit the showrooms, my Polo Tdi will be on the classifieds the very next day! Need to start convincing my dad it seems!
Old 13th December 2012, 11:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

Though I am not in the market for a new car, this launch will turn out as the best petrol heads car in a long long time. The worry is the pricing. Turbo petrol engines don't come cheap and from the looks of it, it will surely be priced well over the existing Polo's on sale which may not be value for money at all. Heck, its at least available for someone interested in a turbo petrol hot hatch.

Wish Fiat India had done something similar with their 1.4l turbo petrol engine that still continues to rot in unsold Linea's.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:38   #54
BHPian

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/326...d-12-polo.aspx

Autocar says the 1.2 TSI will be launched with the 'DCQ200' 7 speed DSG box, they haven't mentioned any date though. Could it be from the same family of unreliable 7 speed DSG box used in the Superb petrol?

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 13th December 2012 at 15:02.
Voyager-1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 17:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post

Autocar says the 1.2 TSI will be launched with the 'DCQ200' 7 speed DSG box, they haven't mentioned any date though. Could it be from the same family of unreliable 7 speed DSG box used in the Superb petrol?
Oh boy! Yes its the same one in the Superb. I hope they've sorted out the issues that plague this DQ200 7DSG causing them to fail on the Superbs. The failures reported in the relatively low volume Superb are high enough for it to be a well known issue. Imagine what would happen if such problems strike a volume model like the Polo

Reliability concerns apart, the TSI-DSG combo looks exciting.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Oh boy! Yes its the same one in the Superb. I hope they've sorted out the issues that plague this DQ200 7DSG causing them to fail on the Superbs. The failures reported in the relatively low volume Superb are high enough for it to be a well known issue. Imagine what would happen if such problems strike a volume model like the Polo

Reliability concerns apart, the TSI-DSG combo looks exciting.

From what I have been hearing is that the 7speed DSG box has had its wrinkles ironed out and is now performing quite decently. I certainly hope that they come out with a 6sp manual box as well, this is one of those cars that promises to be our first faux - pseudo hot hatch and it would be a damn shame if it only had an auto box. Mum'd be happy though !
Old 13th December 2012, 17:20   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
From what I have been hearing is that the 7speed DSG box has had its wrinkles ironed out and is now performing quite decently. I certainly hope that they come out with a 6sp manual box as well, this is one of those cars that promises to be our first faux - pseudo hot hatch and it would be a damn shame if it only had an auto box. Mum'd be happy though !
Thats good! I am sure there will be an MT version as well. The DSG version, I sure will be pricey and is not going to set the charts on fire. If they are bringing the 1.2 TSI to India, they will have to sell it with an MT box to bring in the volumes.

The Polo badly needed better engines to compliment its good chasis. The 1.2 TSI might just be what the doctor ordered.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:23   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Yup, the DCQ200 7-speed DSG is indeed the same one found in the Superb TSI. As is well known, pretty problem plagued. Nonetheless, the TSI and a lightening quick DSG makes for a truly heady combination in a hatch.

One interesting thing to note is that the extra cost of the 1.2 TSI engine + DCQ200 GB will be substantially counter-balanced by the Polo being able to qualify for a lower excise duty slab. That should incentivize VW to tag the car attractively and make it affordable in the true sense of the word.

Price this well VW and you could have a winner on your hands. Otherwise I have no doubt that this could be one heck of a hot hatch that enthusiasts have long been yearning for.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 13th December 2012 at 17:25.
Old 13th December 2012, 17:37   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Thats good! I am sure there will be an MT version as well. The DSG version, I sure will be pricey and is not going to set the charts on fire. If they are bringing the 1.2 TSI to India, they will have to sell it with an MT box to bring in the volumes.

The Polo badly needed better engines to compliment its good chasis. The 1.2 TSI might just be what the doctor ordered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Yup, the DCQ200 7-speed DSG is indeed the same one found in the Superb TSI. As is well known, pretty problem plagued. Nonetheless, the TSI and a lightening quick DSG makes for a truly heady combination in a hatch.

One interesting thing to note is that the extra cost of the 1.2 TSI engine + DCQ200 GB will be substantially counter-balanced by the Polo being able to qualify for a lower excise duty slab. That should incentivize VW to tag the car attractively and make it affordable in the true sense of the word.

Price this well VW and you could have a winner on your hands. Otherwise I have no doubt that this could be one heck of a hot hatch that enthusiasts have long been yearning for.
Santosh,

The statement about the auto-box is pure hearsay at this point. I simply do not have enough information to aver that statement. But, I've not heard of as many problems with the petrol Superb post 2010 models.
I agree, this combination might just be the best thing to happen to enthusiasts in India since the Octavia vRS was launched, but we'll wait and watch. I was considering buying a used Polo 1.6 (there are some nice deals to be had) and modding it out into a real hot hatch, but, given the good drive experience right of the bat and the promise of decent FE, I've decided to hold out for the 1.2 TSI and see what it has to bring to the party.

Omtoatom,

Yes if indeed the transmission issues have been sorted out, this might finally offer purveyors of fine machines an opportunity to get a decently quick, well built high-way worthy hatchback at a reasonable price (or any price for that matter); even for the city run around crowd it should certainly offer more than an i10/i20 auto ! VW may just jump to the head of the herd if they price and market this correctly! However, something tells me this auto box, with or without issues is doomed because of higher manufacturing costs than the one that is there in the Vento. At best (or worst) that is the transmission we can hope for!
Old 13th December 2012, 17:58   #60
BHPian

Quote:
But, I've not heard of as many problems with the petrol Superb post 2010 models.
I know of at least two cases of DSG failures that have happened to 2011/2012 Superbs outside of those belonging to BHPians. One of them is a colleague of mine and I had documented his case on one of the threads here.

That's over 5 now that I know of. It is a slightly alarming statistic from my POV.

Quote:
Yes if indeed the transmission issues have been sorted out, this might finally offer purveyors of fine machines an opportunity to get a decently quick, well built high-way worthy hatchback at a reasonable price (or any price for that matter);
Yeah, that is my precise and only apprehension. Have they fixed it? Although to be fair to the VW group, they have repeatedly stated that they have fixed the issues that continually plagued the DCQ200. But who's to know and believe that? We'd never know until we know, isn't it?

Like I said, what's on offer is undoubtedly heady except it is fraught with a certain amount of risk.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 13th December 2012 at 18:00.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks