Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2013, 19:21   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I would be more than happy if they could get the otr price to be under 9lakhs. Before people become outraged, consider this: the top-end swift is 8 and a bit on road, the vgt punto is just a bit more. Now this polo would bring usable power and refinement mixed with the higher tech powering it. though with the premium ze Germans usually expect, I'd say my estimate would be optimistic :P
The Swift and the Punto @ 8.xx are diesels. The petrol Swift ZXI is very much sub 7.00. A 7.5 OTR max is a very ideal price for the 1.2 TSI to make an impact. The City is available for 8.5ish which comes with all the gear (sans alloys, fogs, ICE).

Last edited by dipen : 25th February 2013 at 19:22.
Old 25th February 2013, 19:38   #122
BHPian

re: Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15

Found this from the TSI brochure (attached) on the internet somewhere. TSI engines are actually dual charged engines.
  1. They have a turbo charger &
  2. They have a super charger too!
  3. They have a mechanism to switch from one to another on the fly seamlessly,
  4. Low revs -> Super Charger, High revs -> Trubo Charger
  5. Last but not the least they have direct injection as well

Looks like, VW have had this for quite some time now, ain't it? This sounds really cool!

So, what Ford is doing now (with the ecoboost) the VW group seems to have had it for a while now.

Bring it on VW, I may not buy one, but I will definitely try driving one just to feel the technology underneath!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSI_Brochure.pdf (1.33 MB, 3601 views)
Old 25th February 2013, 20:06   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Found this from the TSI brochure (attached) on the internet somewhere. TSI engines are actually dual charged engines.
Not all TSI engines are equipped with both the turbo and super charger. For example the TSI engines in India and the 1.2 TSI we are talking about doesn't have the supercharger except for the R-cup released which has both.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 20:09   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post

Looks like, VW have had this for quite some time now, ain't it? This sounds really cool!

So, what Ford is doing now (with the ecoboost) the VW group seems to have had it for a while now.

Bring it on VW, I may not buy one, but I will definitely try driving one just to feel the technology underneath!
India will not get the one with the Supercharger. It will have only a turbo charger. As an example the 1.4 TSI engine with turbo and supercharger belts out 170PS whereas turbo only is 122PS.

Also, 1.2L TSI does not have a supercharger option anywhere in the world. Only 1.4 gets both.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 20:47   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The Swift and the Punto @ 8.xx are diesels. The petrol Swift ZXI is very much sub 7.00. A 7.5 OTR max is a very ideal price for the 1.2 TSI to make an impact. The City is available for 8.5ish which comes with all the gear (sans alloys, fogs, ICE).
Oops yes my bad forgot about the whole diesel thing. Funny how a diesel punto is deemed as the "hot" version we have never owned one (a diesel that is) so I keep cocking up like this anyway in that case I would be tempted by a price of 8l OTR give or take a bit hoping it's the former :P
Old 26th February 2013, 00:13   #126
BHPian

1.2TSI has LOTS of potential.. can easily match up to the Laura 1.8 stock power levels with some mods.
Old 26th February 2013, 23:52   #127
BHPian

For those of you who think the 1.2 TSI is not potent, consider the fact that its max torque is delivered at a low 1500 RPM as compared to 3700 RPM peak torque for the 1.6L. This should help in terms of driveability in traffic and should also help improve efficiency by allowing for taller gearing. These engines also have significant improvements in friction reduction and thermal management which also aid in FE.
Old 28th February 2013, 11:16   #128
Senior - BHPian

Spotted a black Polo in Mumbai sans badges but with a red plate sporting a MH14TCF registration.

From the alloys and blackened headlamps, it looked like a top-end variant.
Old 2nd March 2013, 22:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Spotted a black Polo in Mumbai sans badges but with a red plate sporting a MH14TCF registration.

From the alloys and blackened headlamps, it looked like a top-end variant.
Thanks a lot for the update on spotting the test cars.

Yes, the cars sporting RED registration plates means they are ON TEST.

March end launch is expected.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:03   #130
Team-BHP Support

Fundamental question is where does VW place it as a product?
I surely see it easily go to 8-10L range.

We as a market are now beginning to A-class like hatches coming in. Even these guys go way above the limits and cant be seen
as a car even for higher middle class. Can't a 1.2/1.4 TSI (or for that matter 1L Ecoboost) turbocharged petrol engine based hot hatches create a niche
segment in 9-12L range? Will we see such a market open up? Only time will tell.

Just a doubt. Sure it was petrol engine? Because there are also rumours of the 1.5/1.6L diesel based Polo.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd March 2013 at 23:06.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:08   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Fundamental question is where does VW place it as a product?
I surely see it easily go to 8-10L range.
If its a manual 1.2TSI, it can very well be in the slot where the 1.6 petrol was in earlier. This is not really a new engine, say like the 1.0 Ecoboost from Ford. If equipped with DSG, it could become the most expensive car in its segment.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd March 2013 at 23:09.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:15   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
If its a manual 1.2TSI, it can very well be in the slot where the 1.6 petrol was in earlier. This is not really a new engine, say like the 1.0 Ecoboost from Ford. If equipped with DSG, it could become the most expensive car in its segment.
But still 1.2TSI is not produced in India right (or is it) ? If not, then even from that point the price may increase.
And off course as you said DSG would be an add-on.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd March 2013 at 23:16.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
We as a market are now beginning to A-class like hatches coming in.
But I doubt on success of such expensive hatchbacks, why? Because we already have cars like Mini, Beetle and Fiat500 but what is the fate of them? They hardly sell in 1 or 2 units monthly and don't forget, all of these three cars have a long heritage attached with them but still they are not able to attract buyers. And cars like A class gonna be priced more than the above cars.

If we talk about 1.2 TSI Polo, than I doubt on success of Polo TSI too if its priced too high. See the fate of TJet Linea in the entry level segments. That had to be discontinued because there weren't many takers for that. But one thing which goes in favor of VW is that they will be putting a 1200 cc engine in a under 4 meter long car, hence they will be getting benefit of lower tax slab which they can transfer to the buyers.

So assuming that a turbocharged 1.2 costs 10% more than NA 1.6 than they can price the 1.2 TSI at almost same price of 1.6 (which was never more than the price of 1.2 TDI) because they are getting almost equal tax benefit. But story may differ negatively if they gonna bring it with DSG, which is more costly gearbox.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 2nd March 2013 at 23:30.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:32   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
But I doubt on success of such expensive hatchbacks, why? Because we already have cars like Mini, Beetle and Fiat500 but what is the fate of them? They hardly sell in 1 or 2 units monthly and don't forget, all of these three cars have a long heritage attached with them but still they are not able to attract buyers. And cars like A class gonna be priced more than the above cars.
That's exactly my point too. Cars like Beetle, Mini, A Class are not for the masses in India. But I do feel there can be a bigger market
(though very niche market) for hatches powered with Ecoboost, TSI engines and T-Jets. Extremely sorry for derailing the main discussion.
Here is the link for hot-hatches thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-hatches.html

My other question was still not answered. Are we sure the Polos spotted were TSI engine based and not the 1.5/1.6 diesel based engines which are being spotted.
I do under stand spotters would have looked for the black smoke versus it not being there. Just wanted to confirm.
Old 2nd March 2013, 23:38   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But still 1.2TSI is not produced in India right (or is it) ? If not, then even from that point the price may increase.
And off course as you said DSG would be an add-on.
Yes, obviously they will have to look at local production, as this engine can go into a no. of other cars as well (Fabia, Rapid, Vento etc.).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed