Team-BHP - Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/127890-scoop-vw-polo-tsi-spotted-testing-india-update-fresh-scoop-pics-pg-15-a.html)

Mod Note : The Polo GT TSI Official Review can be found at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

ICB reports spotting of Polo 1.2 TSI in India.

Quote:

The 1.2 Liter turbo petrol engine with three cylinders and a turbocharger is actually more torquey than the 1.6 Liter-4 cylinder naturally aspirated petrol,
This is incorrect. VW 1.2 TSI is a 4-cylinder unit. The 1.2 3-Cylinder unit is a FSI unit and has been discontinued in Europe.

1.2 TSI Specs:

engine displacement & engine configuration
1,197 cubic centimetres (73.0 cu in) inline-four engine (R4/I4); bore x stroke: 71.0 by 75.6 millimetres (2.80 in × 2.98 in), stroke ratio: 0.94:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 299.3 cc per cylinder, compression ratio: 10.5:1, 130 bars (1,890 psi) peak pressures
cylinder block & crankcase
cast aluminium alloy, five main bearings, die-forged steel crankshaft
cylinder head & valvetrain
cast aluminium alloy; low-friction roller finger cam followers with automatic hydraulic valve clearance compensation
two valves per cylinder, 8 valves total, roller chain-driven single overhead camshaft (SOHC)
aspiration
hot-film air mass meter, cast alloy throttle body with electronically controlled Bosch "E-Gas" 'drive by wire' throttle butterfly valve; turbocharger with maximum pressure 1.6 bars (23.2 psi), water-cooled intercooler integrated into intake manifold
fuel system
fully demand-controlled and returnless; - fuel tank–mounted low-pressure fuel pump; Fuel Stratified Injection (FSI): camshaft-driven single-piston high-pressure injection pump supplying up to 150 bars (2,180 psi) fuel pressure in common rail fuel rail, four combustion chamber sited direct injection sequential fuel injectors, mounted on the intake side between the intake port and cylinder head gasket level, homogeneous mixing, stratified lean-burn operation with excess air at part load; 95 RON ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol (ULSP)
ignition system & engine management
centrally positioned longlife spark plugs, mapped direct ignition with four individual direct-acting single spark coils; electronic engine control unit (ECU), knock control via a single knock sensor, permanent lambda control, EU5 compliant
DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs
63 kilowatts (86 PS; 84 bhp) @ 4,800 rpm; 160 newton metres (118 lbf·ft) @ 1,500-3,500 rpm — CBZA; Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (05/10->), Audi A1
66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 4,500 rpm; 160 newton metres (118 lbf·ft) @ 1,500-3,500 rpm — CBZC; Volkswagen Polo (05/11->)
77 kilowatts (105 PS; 103 bhp) @ 5,000 rpm; 175 newton metres (129 lbf·ft) @ 1,550-4,100 rpm — CBZB
applications
Volkswagen Polo Mk5, Volkswagen Golf Mk6 (05/09->), SEAT Ibiza, SEAT León (1P), SEAT Altea, SEAT Altea XL, Škoda Octavia (02/10->), Škoda Yeti, Škoda Fabia (02/10->), Audi A1

Source:1.2 TSI Engine Specs and ICB article

Picture Credit : Overdrive

OMG!! Is this true??:Shockked:

VW had earlier said that they'd only bring the 4 cylinder engines with the new gen Polo stated to launch in 2013-14.

If they are planning to launch the current gen Polo with the 1.2 L TSI engine, it's gonna blow away the competition.

It will be simply stupendous if VW is able to swing this within the next 6-12 months. The 1.2 TSI is superior to anything else in that competition bracket - both existing and on the anvil. Will make the Polo as close to a hot hatch as it gets.

On the downside though, I suspect this may see light of day only in the next gen Polo sometime in late 2013 - early 2014.

No offence to anyone but I don't understand how the 1.2TSi is going to blow away the competition. Petrol car sales are down. Power and torque figures are comparable to the 1.6P. Fuel efficiency won't be much higher in my opinion. Drivability I can't comment on however I assume the 1.2liter cubic capacity will make it eligible for tax breaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshu_j (Post 2935243)
No offence to anyone but I don't understand how the 1.2TSi is going to blow away the competition. Petrol car sales are down. Power and torque figures are comparable to the 1.6P. Fuel efficiency won't be much higher in my opinion. Drivability I can't comment on however I assume the 1.2liter cubic capacity will make it eligible for tax breaks.

I agree to the above.

Unless some parity returns to petrol and diesel prices, any petrol car, howsoever good, is not going to sell.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by himanshu_j (Post 2935243)

Power is almost the same, but expect the torque figure to be a little higher. So expect a bit more of low end grunt which is gonna aid drivability. And in the ICB article it is mentioned that VW claims the mileage to be around 17 kmpl. :eek: IMO This car is the best replacement for the 1.6( now discontinued).

I believe VW is only testing this engine in our conditions. It may come in with the 2014 Polo. I doubt if VW will launch it now.As good as it may be,the skewed demand towards diesels in the current scenario will mean it may not actually sell as much as it deserves.

Looks like 2014 will be the year of the Polo.1.5tdi with 105bhp and this one if it finally makes it here.Polo will finally have the performance to match its hot hatch looks !

If one were to get overly optimistic, think of a well appointed TSI VW Polo with an AT box. A fitting competitor to the Brio AT. Not in the super hatch league for sure, but as close to one, as one can get in India.

However like I said that is being overly optimistic. But hey drooling is allowed once in a while!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shashank.nk (Post 2935307)
I believe VW is only testing this engine in our conditions. It may come in with the 2014 Polo. I doubt if VW will launch it now.

Tend to agree with you Shashank - seems to me like the testing SoP that happens months, sometimes even a coupla years before the launch. I don't see VW overhauling the current gasoline Polo with the 1.2 TSI in a hurry. The TSI engines are more expensive to make although they're a big plus in low-end driveability and fuel economy. Price points are bound to be shaken up with the TSI Polo. Too many factors in the equation - in all likelihood, they will choose to plonk this mill in the new generation car only.

All said and done, good news!

This was expected the day they took the 1.6 off the shelves. So, BREAKING NEWS indeed that it has been spotted testing.

But, there is something wrongly stated in the "supposed" spec. The 1.2 TSI specs I knwo are 160Nm of torque and 85BHP power. The article states 103.5 bhp. Possible with a different state of tune maybe.

Lets wait for VW to comment officially on this. Until then, I don't think this one's going to see the light of India until the next version of Polo/Fabia which is due late 2013 or early 2014.

I saw this as an Overdrive tweet and ICB has immediately put it up without and credits !! The 1.2 TSI is on the cards for sure. We can expect a launch soon.

Looks like VW has intentionally put in the TSI badging to create some excitement.!! :D

The TSI will not do anything for the Polo, the excitement has died down and VW is trying every gimmick to move the cars out of the showroom. The diesel is overpriced and 3 cylinder is not exactly a selling point in any way.

The TSI mileage is taken from hopelessly optimistic European urban driving cycle (or some such) figures, actual figures will be closer to the Honda iVTEC which is better already and will be even more so by 2014.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mempheS.D (Post 2935338)
This was expected the day they took the 1.6 off the shelves. So, BREAKING NEWS indeed that it has been spotted testing.

But, there is something wrongly stated in the "supposed" spec. The 1.2 TSI specs I knwo are 160Nm of torque and 85BHP power. The article states 103.5 bhp. Possible with a different state of tune maybe.

Lets wait for VW to comment officially on this. Until then, I don't think this one's going to see the light of India until the next version of Polo/Fabia which is due late 2013 or early 2014.

Skoda has two states for the same engine in the Fabia, 85 and 105 bhp. The latter is also available in Yeti in Europe.

Some parity in fuel prices can be expected by the time this hot hatch is released and that would really propel VW in the top auto manufacturers in India. Lets not forget that the group that can buy out nation wide ToI advt rights for its launch event, can sway some policy decisions at the centre...

They would definitely not want to launch a product that would be a non-starter when their current sales charts/figures reflect market sentiments quite clearly.

So lets hope good sense prevails and we get to ride a TSI someday on street near us.

Nice scoop. I hope VW seriously gets this engine under the Polo's hood. Currently, the Polo is available in 'under-powered only' engine options. Performance wise, the competition totally blows it out of the water. And, if they do get it here, they will replace the Vento's 1.6 petrol with this torquier and more fuel efficient engine, to achieve economies of scale.

Being a 1.2, VW may be able to offset the additional cost of the engine against the savings in excise duty.

Btw, in the spy pic, is that 'GT' labeling I see on the left side? I ask because the Polo GT in the UK has a 140 bhp 1.4 TSI.