Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2012, 18:39   #46
BHPian

Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

Just a field update, made my dad go for a test drive while I twiddled my thumbs on board.
Just the AT version is currently available for a test drive at the moment.
On road Mumbai price for AT 24L, for MT 21.7L
Showroom has 24 confirmed bookings for AT and 1 for MT as of today evening.
Deliveries will start from early Jan.

Ground clearance is massive, makes the Forrtuner feel low hung.
The 2nd row underthigh support is disappointing. Somewhat between a Fortuner and Endeavour.
The price difference between the MT Rexton and 4WD Fortuner is almost 6.5L
Will have to see it in flesh to decide if it's a good VFM product or not, but other than the lack of 2nd row thigh support and price & Quality difference in mind, it feels good.
Off Roadie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 19:03   #47
BHPian

visited Delhi Showroom today, as mentioned by everyone, don't looking bigger than Fortuner, it identical to XUV height. GC though mentioned 252, but if you look at vehicle it doesn't seems like. AT has more goodies and close to 4L Cheaper than 4*4 Fortuner. All goodies are in front, middle is ok and Last row is horrible, you are sitting on floor. Doesn't have much space for luggage and as they have added boxes for tools etc room space for luggage become narrow. All in all if I have to choose between R & F, I might stick to F and wait for delivery.
sam003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 20:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
visited Delhi Showroom today, as mentioned by everyone, don't looking bigger than Fortuner, it identical to XUV height. GC though mentioned 252, but if you look at vehicle it doesn't seems like. AT has more goodies and close to 4L Cheaper than 4*4 Fortuner. All goodies are in front, middle is ok and Last row is horrible, you are sitting on floor. Doesn't have much space for luggage and as they have added boxes for tools etc room space for luggage become narrow. All in all if I have to choose between R & F, I might stick to F and wait for delivery.
Thanks for sharing your experience Sam.
I had the same opinion about the ground clearance when seeing the images from Parry.
I thought, it was either a typo (as usual) with M&M and TATA websites or i wasn't able to judge by only looking at the pictures.
Waiting to hear from other members who have planned to do their test drives over the weekend.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 18th October 2012, 20:40   #49
BHPian

Post deleted by Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Last edited by .anshuman : 18th October 2012 at 20:47. Reason: See note in post
Old 18th October 2012, 20:58   #50
BHPian

Happy to see great pricing on Ss Rexton by Mahindra, hated the "by mahindra" on rear bumper, they can learn nurturing acquired brand from TATAs
and the execution is so bad, Rexton engraved in rear bumper, by mahindra in chrome such a forceful attempt

I have driven Ssangyong Musso in Bahrain long back, it had lot of issues but driving was so much fun with Mercedes engine and had good interior space and finish

All the Best M & M , Please remove your ugly "by Mahindra"
Old 18th October 2012, 21:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be some anomaly around the ground clearance figures being quoted for this vehicle, with various Indian sites quoting figures from 230 to 260 mm. For a vehicle that is primarily sold as a cheap softroader, a ground clearance of nearly a foot (in India) does not sound logical.

Internationally this thing comes with about 200 mm of proper ground clearance - the body is mounted higher than comparable SUVs, but the Rexton has very low differentials, making actual GC much less than perceived.

It would be interesting to see what the real ground clearance is on this vehicle.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th October 2012 at 21:16.
Old 18th October 2012, 22:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Considering the lineage of the vehicle - I think it should hit the sweet spot. The engine & tranny is afterall from the tried & tested Merc ML. The bodywork looks ok to me. I think it is a matter of time when this vehicle with this pricing will give the Fortuner a stiff competition.

Time will tell.

All in all a decent package, I would say.

Cheers
Old 18th October 2012, 22:21   #53

1) What is the black plastic at the LHS of the rear row, next to the wheel arches? To me, it seems like a power window switch?!

2) to the placement of the indicators in front along with fog lamps. I've always wanted them to be placed here in the concept cars that I dream up! IMHO, this placement along with an ORVM integrated one, will work well both in terms of aesthetics and functionality. It leaves more space for a stunning headlight design without an amber strip protruding! However, Rexton's headlamps have missed the aesthetic factor!

3) Rather than having a cheesy 'by Mahindra' badge, couldn't they have branded as Mahindra Rexton only, at least in India I think they could slowly transition Ssangyong's decent products into Mahindra's portfolio as the former doesn't have a formidable brand value anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs-rexton053.jpg  

Old 19th October 2012, 09:49   #54
BHPian

Boy, I am sold. Has M&M delivered yet another hit? But it remains to be seen whether it can dent Fortuner sales.

On paper, it looks formidable and again "looks" like it means good off-road business too.

Awaiting a detailed Team BHP verdict on drive, handling et al.
For now, its a thumbs up.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:31   #55
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2012 at 16:43.
phoenix_rising is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th October 2012, 11:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

This one's a looker!
Quite impressed with the launch too.
Pricing also seems to be fair.
Liked the understated interirors (baring the speedo. That's more than a decade old).

Agreed, the spare wheel could've been mounted on the rear door, giving the butch look.
And whats with that solid dead pedal? That is by far the biggest dead pedal I've ever seen!

Would love to have a look at this in person, and probably a TD, to understand the dynamics. But, by the looks of it, Im quite impressed!

When do we expect an official review, guys? Hope its sometime soon.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 19th October 2012 at 11:44.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:27   #57
BHPian

good looking car indeed and nice pics too . What would happen if mahindra decides to abandon ssangyong someday ?

Like others here pointed out , will mahindra be able to handle the service efficiently ?
Old 19th October 2012, 15:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
good looking car indeed and nice pics too . What would happen if mahindra decides to abandon ssangyong someday ?

Like others here pointed out , will mahindra be able to handle the service efficiently ?
Mahindra and Ssangyong are not in partnership, Mahindra has acquired Ssangyong. So the only possibilty is that if Ssangyong closes it business then what happens. But then it can happen to anyone including Mahindra.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Mahindra and Ssangyong are not in partnership, Mahindra has acquired Ssangyong. So the only possibilty is that if Ssangyong closes it business then what happens. But then it can happen to anyone including Mahindra.
Another possibility is Mahindra selling Ssangyong to some other car manufacturer, who may or may not have presence in India. Who will then service Ssangyong cars in India?
Old 19th October 2012, 17:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Another possibility is Mahindra selling Ssangyong to some other car manufacturer, who may or may not have presence in India. Who will then service Ssangyong cars in India?
Car maker is liable to provide service to the car he has sold for 15 years (not sure about the years), even if he closes a particular brand. That's how GM is made to service the Forester even after the partnership with Subaru is over and the car has been discontinued for several years now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks