Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:50   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

I seriously doubt Rexton's future in India with likes of Fortuners and Endeavours being favorites..
Old 23rd October 2012, 01:11   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma
I seriously doubt Rexton's future in India with likes of Fortuners and Endeavours being favorites..
So soon. While I respect your POV, lets give fair chance for the market to see, feel and experience this. Anand Mahindra is known to put his money on right models. My gut feeling says that this will be a success. May not dethrone Fortuner, but pull some customers of D segment.
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:37   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

The Rexton, without a doubt will be a hit.
Looks like anything Mahindra touches in the SUV or other utility vehicle segment turns to gold.
Also consider that the Rexton offers most if not all of what the Hyundai Santa Fe does, but at a price of 10-11 lacs less!
I would say it will seriously affect the Santa Fe, Pajero Sport to an extent, Koleos, Outlander and the CRV - these last two being petrol havent got really much of a chance anyway...
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:31   #79
BHPian

Very nice introduction - Having driven it here in Dubai, I found it to be VFM but nothing really pulling at the hearts. Handling was a major issue for me (Maybe also cuz I'm too used to Ford trucks). I always thought the rexton engine was licensed from Merc - is that the case for the ones in the diesel ones in India ? I hope it succeeds - too bad the top end is too close to the leader, fortuner, in pricing. Anyways, lets wait and watch :-)
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:34   #80
BHPian

Product looks interesting, but initially people may not gel well with the SsangYong brand even though it belongs to Mahindra. Maybe Mahindra could have launched it under its own brand name? in such case the comfort factor would have been better, dont know why they choose to keep SsangYong ? For a moment just remove SsangYong from discussion and look at the car as a Mahindra product, I see people having a more positive outlook
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing.

Looks good but rear could have been more conventional than what it is.
Center console could have been better. IMO it looks 'delicate' for a SVU. In a SUV I expect BIG round rotary switches for climate control

At this price it definitely has all potential to do well with respect to sales.

@ Parrys Need to correct figures in *Bold*?
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
[*]Till date, Mahindra has invested INR 63 crores to develop the Rexton, they will invest another 1,500 crores to further develop and produce other SsangYong products.[/list]
Old 25th October 2012, 15:28   #82
BHPian

What happened the Rexton with 2.2 engines. All car magazines and enthusiasts were writing about the 2.2 litre engine before launch but after Mahindra launched the SUV with the old 2.7 litre engine instead, everyone is silent.

I thought 2.2 was supposed to be a new engine and with much better FE than the old 2.7 engine. Anyone has any idea what happened or if Mahindra would bring the new engine after finishing the stock of old engines?
Old 25th October 2012, 20:23   #83
BHPian

Thanks for sharing Parrys. Awesome photographs. It felt like I was actually there viewing the Rexton in front of me!
All in all a good package, but the devil's advocate in me ends up asking: "Why shouldn't I buy the XUV instead of the Rexton?"
The XUV has a lower price point, lots more features and as far as the third row goes, even the Rexton seems to have messed it up.
Old 26th October 2012, 05:08   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreeps View Post
All in all a good package, but the devil's advocate in me ends up asking: "Why shouldn't I buy the XUV instead of the Rexton?"
The XUV has a lower price point, lots more features and as far as the third row goes, even the Rexton seems to have messed it up.
1) 252mm ground clearance
2) Low range gearbox
3) And hopefully (will know in 6-9months) better reliability.

If they don't appeal, don't even consider the Rexton and head for the 2wd Fortuner, IMHO.

In the Rexton's case my biggest fear is that they may have messed up the second row. Waiting to get back and check it out.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:27   #85
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Rexton in flesh and felt it looked like the Merc ML at 1/3rd the price.

Loved and hated bits in the interiors vs the Aria (though I loved the AT aspect, powered driver seat and the Engine Spec along with the Power to wt ratio) but felt it to be clearly a better option and much more VFM than the SantaFe, Koleos, Captiva, Pajero Sport, Pajero, Endy and possibly the Fortuner.

Felt that XUV and even the Aria are even more VFM overall but they both don't have a AT box and the Fortuner AT is 2WD. So the Koleos has a distinct situation of being the only Feature Rich Auto (besides the jumpy Endy) with AWD/4X4 mode.

Now the question in my mind was how it would compare vs the Fortuner in reliability. We need not think of the Indian market and try to find reports a year down the line. Since the Koleos and Fortuner are both sold in the same international markets we should be able to get international reliability reports.

Am not in a hurry to get a new vehicle right now but the Koleos is definately likely to be on my list of options in a couple of years time - when the Aria completes 4 years.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 12:06   #86
BHPian

Test drove the rexton AT yesterday. It is very easy yo drive. Very good driving position. The steering lacks feel and the brakes are good but are very light. The interior looks good but the quality of plastic isnt what you expect it to be. The auto box has a little lag during the first second after you accelerate after that the power is pretty decent. I would rather buy the XUV MT instead of the rexton MT. The handling is very good but the ride quality was a little bumpy but my guess is that the tyre pressure on the demo vehicle was high. All in all a good vehicle but should have been a couple of lakhs cheaper.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:16   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Felt that XUV and even the Aria are even more VFM overall but they both don't have a AT box and the Fortuner AT is 2WD. So the Koleos has a distinct situation of being the only Feature Rich Auto (besides the jumpy Endy) with AWD/4X4 mode.

Koleos is definately likely to be on my list of options in a couple of years time - when the Aria completes 4 years.
You mean Koleos or Rexton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans View Post
The auto box has a little lag during the first second after you accelerate after that the power is pretty decent.
You mean te AT box lags in the first gear only or in every gear?
How was the kickdown? Fast or slow?
How was the manual mode?
Old 30th October 2012, 17:15   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye

You mean te AT box lags in the first gear only or in every gear?
How was the kickdown? Fast or slow?
How was the manual mode?
The AT lags only in the first and is a bit sluggish. Its not bad but you would want a little more tug from it. I didnt try the manual mode.
Old 30th October 2012, 23:04   #89
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Oops meant Rexton - too many new names to handle..
Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 31st October 2012, 17:35   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
Product looks interesting, but initially people may not gel well with the SsangYong brand even though it belongs to Mahindra. Maybe Mahindra could have launched it under its own brand name? in such case the comfort factor would have been better, dont know why they choose to keep SsangYong ? For a moment just remove SsangYong from discussion and look at the car as a Mahindra product, I see people having a more positive outlook
Yes, They should have launched as Mahnidra Rexton, it would have made more attraction. Ssangyong is very new and I can't forget how the Renault Nissan badge vanished from Logan for some reason.
agbenny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed