Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 19:46   #121
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I thought full time 4WD is also called AWD. How are they different in rexton between the 2 variants?
Full time 4WD or permanent 4WD have permanently fixed torque split between front and rear axles/wheels and is always driven in 4WD mode...the driver has no option to move to 2WD. AWD name is used here also, as technically, all the wheels are powered ! Examples are Rexton AT and Toyota Fortuner

AWD name is used on vehicles with Automatic AWD. Here the vehicle is predominantly driven in 2WD mode and as and when the vehicles computer detects a slip in the driven wheel/axle, directs a part of the torque to the other axle, thus becoming a 4wD temporarily . These vehicles have a lock switch, which can convert the vehicle to a permanent 4WD mode by locking th torque to both axles. Examples are Mahindra XUV500 AWD, Tata Aria , Rexton MT

As the naming convention used across the world are different, AWD, full time 4WD are being used interchangeably !

Having a low range gear is an additional option and is possible both version..example Fortuner and Rexton MT
spkingsley is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 16:12   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton @ 17.67 - 19.67 lacs

The Rexton, costing about 20 lakh rupees, may not be able to repeat the numbers that smaller Mahindra models manage, but nevertheless it is showing signs of a promising future, coming from an unknown Korean brand.
The company has clocked 1,300 bookings since launch claims M&M

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/s...#ixzz2HNaEIayL
Old 8th January 2013, 23:28   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The company has clocked 1,300 bookings since launch claims M&M
Difficult to digest. As per the numbers on the TeamBhp Sales Figures & Analysis Thread, the numbers stand at

Oct - 80
Nov - 121
Dec - 197

Bookings and dispatches are different, I understand. But the numbers are no where close.

Hard to digest the 1300 figure
Old 8th January 2013, 23:50   #124
BHPian

That could be because they are opening bookings in phases and hence only now all cities are covered. Besides, there has been no ads for the Rextron but it is slowly coming up. Also if i am not wrong, the numbers shown are the numbers which Mahindra could assemble and deliver to customers. It does not depicts the number of bookings. They are apparently planning to increase the assembly line based on demand and I will not be surprised if it starts selling 500 Rextrons every month considering how the base version is priced dangerously close to the the XUV top version. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that Mahindra has another winner at hand.

Last edited by urajkumar : 8th January 2013 at 23:52.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

I had a TD of the SSangYoung Rexton, AWD model with automatic transmission. Quite impressed with the quality.

Has anyone purchased this yet? Going by the history of the company does not make one feel positive. Is there any visibility to the future of this vehicle? Would this become another Daewoo or would Mahindra support this?

Nitin
Old 9th January 2013, 15:47   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
...Has anyone purchased this yet? Going by the history of the company does not make one feel positive. Is there any visibility to the future of this vehicle? Would this become another Daewoo or would Mahindra support this?

Nitin
Looks like you missed the 2-3 posts on top of yours. From those the booking numbers have exceeded even Mahindra's forecasts I guess.
Old 10th January 2013, 16:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a TD of the SSangYoung Rexton, AWD model with automatic transmission. Quite impressed with the quality.

Has anyone purchased this yet? Going by the history of the company does not make one feel positive. Is there any visibility to the future of this vehicle? Would this become another Daewoo or would Mahindra support this?Nitin
Ssangyoung is a subsidary of M&M so there should be no doubt about the future. Go through the news below in today's ET

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17961174.cms
Old 10th January 2013, 21:20   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Rexton just like the Fortuner comes with AWD plus proper 4x4 with low range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
News to me. Automatic which i drove did not had proper 4x4 with low range as you put it. Yes that is there in manual.
Only Manual has low range. Automatic doesn't have low range.

Quote:
I thought full time 4WD is also called AWD. How are they different in rexton between the 2 variants?
AWD systems are generally of two types. One in which all 4 wheels are always engaged like in Rexton, Fortuner, Land Cruiser etc. The other is the systems prevalent in soft roaders like CRV, XUV500, etc where the AWD system kicks in only when wheel slippage/loss of traction is detected. This system is never meant to be used as Full Time 4WD. This is more like on-demand 4WD without driver involvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
Full time 4WD or permanent 4WD have permanently fixed torque split between front and rear axles/wheels and is always driven in 4WD mode...the driver has no option to move to 2WD
This is not necessarily two. Full Time 4WD/Permanent system means that there will be a open center differential. Generally they cannot be switched to 2WD, but there are certain exceptions like Pajero 2.9 which can be driven in 2WD mode by disengaging the center differential from transferring power to the front. You can also drive it as Permanent/Full Time 4WD by engaging the front differential.

Quote:
AWD name is used on vehicles with Automatic AWD. Here the vehicle is predominantly driven in 2WD mode and as and when the vehicles computer detects a slip in the driven wheel/axle, directs a part of the torque to the other axle, thus becoming a 4wD temporarily . These vehicles have a lock switch, which can convert the vehicle to a permanent 4WD mode by locking th torque to both axles.
Even the lock is only for limited usage to get out of a tricky situation, once you cross a set limit, the lock will disengage automatically.
Old 10th January 2013, 21:49   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
AWD systems are generally of two types. One in which all 4 wheels are always engaged like in Rexton, Fortuner, Land Cruiser etc. The other is the systems prevalent in soft roaders like CRV, XUV500, etc where the AWD system kicks in only when wheel slippage/loss of traction is detected. This system is never meant to be used as Full Time 4WD. This is more like on-demand 4WD without driver involvement.
I think you are right. But since the Subaru has been using term AWD for their full time 4WD, I always associated with the AWD with full time 4WD. But now I see even 'part time 4WD' cars like Captiva, XUV are called AWD.
Old 10th January 2013, 22:11   #130
BANNED

Quote:
I think you are right. But since the Subaru has been using term AWD for their full time 4WD, I always associated with the AWD with full time 4WD. But now I see even 'part time 4WD' cars like Captiva, XUV are called AWD.
Again, part-time 4wD is not the correct name to call these vehicles like XUV or Aria. Part time 4WD are vehicles where the driver decides when to shift to 4WD by physically moving a lever or turning a switch. Examples are Mahindra jeeps, Tata safari etc.
Better name is automatic AWD..

Quote:

Only Manual has low range. Automatic doesn't have low range.

This is not necessarily two. Full Time 4WD/Permanent system means that there will be a open center differential. Generally they cannot be switched to 2WD, but there are certain exceptions like Pajero 2.9 which can be driven in 2WD mode by disengaging the center differential from transferring power to the front. You can also drive it as Permanent/Full Time 4WD by engaging the front differential.

Even the lock is only for limited usage to get out of a tricky situation, once you cross a set limit, the lock will disengage automatically.
Centre differential is not related to switching between 2WD and 4WD , probably you meant transfer box. If so, then it becomes a part time 4WD where the driver decides when to shift to between 2WD And 4WD.

Permanent 4WD vehicles "need" to have a central differential but it need to have locking mechanism to get out of tricky situations. Toyota Fortuner has this locking position in the shift lever where the driver can lock the centre differential . However , as soon as you are out of the mud/slush you need to unlock as otherwise the transmission is likely to get damaged if driven on hard paved roads.

Rexton AT does this intelligently using the traction control and the ESP system. It has a open centre differential but does not have a mechanical lock. The ESP system kicks in and brakes the spinning wheel thus getting the Rexton out of mud/slush..

Note from Team-bhp support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th January 2013 at 10:32. Reason: Back to back posts.
spkingsley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 16:36   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Centre differential is not related to switching between 2WD and 4WD , probably you meant transfer box. If so, then it becomes a part time 4WD where the driver decides when to shift to between 2WD And 4WD.
Given my team bhp handle and given that I am mostly hang around in the 4x4 section of team-bhp, I appreciate you teaching me about transfer case and all that. I am now well versed what a center diff is and a what a transfer case is. I was contradicting your original claim that Permanent 4WD or Full Time 4WD vehicles cannot be run in 2WD mode. They can be as in the case of Pajero 2.8 which can be driving in Full Time 4WD or 2WD mode since the manufacturer has given the option in the 4WD Selector. It is theoretically possible in the Fortuner/Land Cruiser etc, but they have not given the option.
Old 11th January 2013, 20:11   #132
BANNED

Quote:

Given my team bhp handle and given that I am mostly hang around in the 4x4 section of team-bhp, I appreciate you teaching me about transfer case and all that. I am now well versed what a center diff is and a what a transfer case is. I was contradicting your original claim that Permanent 4WD or Full Time 4WD vehicles cannot be run in 2WD mode. They can be as in the case of Pajero 2.8 which can be driving in Full Time 4WD or 2WD mode since the manufacturer has given the option in the 4WD Selector. It is theoretically possible in the Fortuner/Land Cruiser etc, but they have not given the option.
That becomes a part time 4WD then. The driver can select between 4wD and 2wD based on his requirement
Old 12th January 2013, 21:02   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That becomes a part time 4WD then. The driver can select between 4wD and 2wD based on his requirement
Part Time 4WD Systems like in the Scorpio/Safari etc cannot be used as Full Time 4WD System. Pajero 2.8 has both options.
Old 14th January 2013, 22:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Looks like you missed the 2-3 posts on top of yours. From those the booking numbers have exceeded even Mahindra's forecasts I guess.
I've never seen a SsangYong Rexton on Bangalore roads so far. Wonder if there's any ownership experience to share.
Old 15th January 2013, 17:23   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've never seen a SsangYong Rexton on Bangalore roads so far. Wonder if there's any ownership experience to share.
Saw one in Navi Mumbai yesterday in black, looks exactly like a M Class clone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks