Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2013, 19:54   #121
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
For Isuzu fans in Chennai, the building in question is in Ambattur Industrial Estate. I believe it was earlier used as KUN Hyundai's pre-owned vehicle outlet. It could mean that KUN have taken up the Chennai dealership for Isuzu. Of course, this is speculation on my part and has to be confirmed.
My speculation has now been confirmed! Here is official proof that KUN Isuzu are going to be the Chennai dealer for the Japanese brand:

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-image.jpg

Apologies for the very poor quality of the picture taken at night with a phone. Besides, I was too lazy to get out of the car and cross the road to take a better snap, and was in a bit of a hurry also.

The two Isuzu products can be seen inside the unfinished dealer showroom, and the small board outside states KUN Isuzu. The building was indeed used as KUN Hyundai's pre-owned vehicle outlet and is next door to the KUN Hyundai service centre in Ambattur Industrial Estate.
Old 17th September 2013, 11:37   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
How come GM made available these diesel engines for Isuzu product, when their own brand Tavera struggled for getting BS4 engine for so long? Tavera was remain out of cities for quite long time and when they made available it was recalled.
On one hand quote in their website that "Isuzu, globally known for their Diesel Engine Expertise.." but are going to sell their vehicles with GM Engines who are already suffering quality issues with their engines (Tavera BS III Engine and their own 1.3 TCDI Engines). I fail to understand this strategy. If Isuzu is serious about India, they should look at manufacturing their engines using GM's facility or import the engines from Thailand until they are ready to build it here. Historically, any manufacturer in evaluated on how successful their first offering is. If they start with a dud, they will end up with being one. No amount of improvements later will pull them out.
DWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 23:58   #123
BHPian

Spotted an AP registered MU-7 in Bangalore today. Couple of photos uploaded to the other Isuzu chain I found
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-plant-2.html
Old 11th December 2013, 00:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

Isuzu rolls-out locally assembled MU-7 SUV

Quote:
Chennai-assembled Isuzu MU-7 SUV priced at Rs 22.3 lakh (ex-showroom,Chennai) for the BS IV version.suzu Motors made a quiet entry to India in 2013, with just two dealerships in Hyderabad and Coimbatore and the initial lot of cars being imported as CBUs. What’s worse, the engines used were only BS III compliant, and therefore ineligible for sale in bigger metros. Now, however, Isuzu has commenced local production and has rolled out its first Indian assembled model, an MU-7 SUV, today. It has also made a BS IV-compatible version of the car’s 3.0-litre turbo diesel engine. The vehicles are being assembled at Hindustan Motors’ plant at Thiruvallur, Chennai, from CKD kits which will be sourced from Thailand. As of now, only the MU-7 SUV is being rolled out of this factory, but assembly of the company’s D-Max pick-up truck will commence soon.
Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-mu7.jpg
The deal with Hindustan Motors (HM) has gone from negotiations (in Feb, 2013) to actual production in just 10 months. Isuzu says it chose HM as a partner because it found that the Indian company met its global quality standards, and that its Thiruvallur facility had a “good location, strong performance and adequate facilities”.
This is the first step in a major India plan for the Japanese company, with its own full-fledged manufacturing plant planned at Sri City in Andhra Pradesh, which is slated to be operational by 2015-16.
source: Autocar India link

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th December 2013 at 00:34.
Old 11th December 2013, 06:17   #125
BHPian

Somehow I am unable to understand the logic behind launching a product like this in Indian market. Isuzu has a range of good diesel engines, why don't they focus on that. The pick up truck concept is yet to attract buyers in Indian market. With less than ten dealers and two or three products, how a company can stay floated..?
MaxTorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 09:11   #126
BHPian

I like the Isuzu Diesel engine's refinement and the silent performance. But not so sure about us Indians liking the design of it. They have to compete with well designed rivals here, and the looks really matter here.
Old 11th December 2013, 09:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

22.3 L Rs for CKD MU-7!
Wasn't the CBU MU-7 priced at 23.75 L Rs?
So the ex-showroom price has been reduced by about 6%.

As far as I know, the kit is imported from Thailand. This should call for much lesser import duty.

Or, was Isuzu selling the CBU MU-7 for a loss in India?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 09:53   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isuzu says it chose HM as a partner because it found that the Indian company met its global quality standards, ...
I wonder what global quality standards Isuzu follows. Going by the fit and finish of the two vehicles posted by bblost earlier, they seem to be way above what the manufacturer of Ambassador cars would be able to follow.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 10:02   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I wonder what global quality standards Isuzu follows. Going by the fit and finish of the two vehicles posted by bblost earlier, they seem to be way above what the manufacturer of Ambassador cars would be able to follow.
If HM could produce Pajero for Mitsubishi, they can produce this SUV for Isuzu.
Old 27th January 2014, 12:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Link to Carpoint-AU's review of the truck based SUV:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/i...4-review-41240

As per their review, obviously it does not handles the curves & is low on equipment for the price quoted, but is quite capable off road.
Old 9th June 2014, 09:11   #131

Hi!

Is there any more news about the MU7? A road test, ownership report...

'best
Arun
Old 9th June 2014, 20:19   #132
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday, 7th June 2014, I spotted a huge SUV coming towards me from the opposite side in Jangpura (South Delhi). It looked really macho and resembled Isuzu's MU-7 however as it went past me it was cabin in the front like D-max and pick-up bed in the rear. I'm confused whether there's a hybrid model also available?

It was black in colour, looked massive, had immense road presence, you know a neat looking macho SUV. But I'm confused which model it was from Isuzu.

EDIT: The front grill wasn't chrome. The only chrome in the front was the Isuzu badge.

Most Viewed