Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 12:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched

This morning on my way to work, I spotted an unusual looking SUV driving across on the other side of the road. It was quite bling with loads of chrome in the front and a clear unmasked Isuzu badge.

Unfortunately I couldn't turn around and chase the car as I was getting late for work. Google tells me it is the Isuzu Alterra.

Image source: Here

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-isuzu.jpg

I figured that the model is on sale in Philippines http://www.isuzuphil.com/?page=prodDetail&cat=19

We also had news that Swaraj Mazda was considering bringing in Isuzu MUV's Thread link.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th October 2012 at 12:04.
moralfibre is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 12:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Spotted: Isuzu Alterra Undergoing Testing

Moral, it looks a lot like the Force one. Are you sure it wasn't some new variant of the Force One under test?
Old 19th October 2012, 12:08   #3
BHPian

On the first glance.. this piece looks similar to Ford Endeavor. IMO, any SUV introduced in India, has to hit the sweet spot right. I mean the PRICE.

Lets see if this gets introduced soon.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Moral, it looks a lot like the Force one. Are you sure it wasn't some new variant of the Force One under test?
I am 100% sure it was the Isuzu since I spotted the unmasked badge first. And the rear is completely different as compared to the Force One.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th October 2012 at 12:42.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 13:00   #5
BHPian

A Team-bhp moderator seldom makes mistakes when it comes to identifying the brand of a car so I am quite sure its an Isuzu

But maybe it is someone's private vehicle and not a test mule. Isuzu hasn't been in the news for making an India entry so it could be an import.
Did you get a chance to see what colored number plates it had? Most test mules run on red TC number plates.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:38   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
Isuzu hasn't been in the news for making an India entry so it could be an import.
Did you get a chance to see what colored number plates it had? Most test mules run on red TC number plates.
Red TC number plates. Plus there were a couple of gizmos stuck on the windscreen. Could be diagnostic instruments.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 14:56   #7
BHPian

Yes, even I did see this vehicle a couple of days back, though I don't exactly remember where since I travel first to Talawade to drop my wife and then to HJW. I couldn't see the badge but I was wondering which SUV is this, yes it does look pretty close to Force, but the front is different.
Thanks moralfibre, Isuzu - great
Will try to take a few pics next time I see it, will look out for this one for sure.

Cheers
Trojan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 15:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Isuzu hasn't been in the news for making an India entry
Infact they are. Here are the links for related news items. One is from Team-BHP and other from IAB.

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ant-india.html

2. http://indianautosblog.com/2012/07/i...y-the-end-2012

Details:

Quote:
Isuzu D-Max:
The D-Max is on the similar lines of the Tata Xenon or a Scorpio Getaway. It was designed in co-operation with the General Motors and is a based on Colorado’s body-on-frame chassis, which interestingly also supports the Chevrolet Trailblazer. We must say that the design of the D-Max is quite intimidating.

It is available in a 2 door or a 4 door format. Internationally, it is available with three engine options:
  • 2.5-liter turbo diesel engine units producing 115hp
  • The same 2.5-liter turbo diesel engine with 136hp
  • A massive 3.0-liter turbo diesel mill with 177hp

It is a very popular pickup truck in Thailand. Isuzu plans to import the D-Max from Thailand in the initial phase and perhaps assemble it at the Hindustan Motors plant in Chennai. However, looking at the demand for lifestyle pickup trucks in India (which is almost none), we doubt the D-Max will find any takers in India.
Our guess is Isuzu may choose to bring down the previous generation D-Max as it sits on the same chassis as the second vehicle identified for India, discussed below.

Isuzu MU-7:
The second product is a very interesting proposition. It is called the Isuzu MU-7 and it’s an ‘Sports Utility Wagon’ based on the D-Max pickup truck’s chassis. It is very long SUV that can seat 7-8 people in great comfort. It is on the similar lines of Force One or the Ford Endeavour.

It is present in a 4×2 or a 4X4 avatar powered by a 3L turbo diesel mill that generates an output of 146 hp and 294 nm of torque. Like the D-Max, the MU-7 will also be imported from Thailand.
Isuzu plans to introduce both UVs in India by the end of 2012, according to Economic Times.

@Mods. This thread can be merged with the first link. Thanks. Also I am unable to post pics in-between text. For e.g. 4th pic depicts D-MAX's interiors. How to post pics so that I can write one line for each pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-2012isuzudmax.jpg  

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-isuzumu71.jpg  

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-isuzumu72.jpg  

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-2012isuzudmaxinteriors.jpeg  

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 19th October 2012 at 15:44.
sarthakgupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 16:30   #9
BHPian

I stand corrected. Great scoop moralfibre!

The SUV market is really picking up in India and Isuzu would be a wonderful addition to our market. I had seen lot of Isuzu pick up trucks in Malaysia when i had gone there last summer. Amazing road presence and superb off road capabilties are some of the USP's. They were being used as commercial and recreational vehicles(for safaris) there.

Isuzu has a relationship with India that goes a long way back with the Ambassadors having Isuzu engines but marketing cars would be a different ball game altogether.
Old 19th October 2012, 19:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This morning on my way to work, I spotted an unusual looking SUV driving across on the other side of the road. It was quite bling with loads of chrome in the front and a clear unmasked Isuzu badge.

Unfortunately I couldn't turn around and chase the car as I was getting late for work. Google tells me it is the Isuzu Alterra.

Image source: Here

Attachment 1002461

I figured that the model is on sale in Philippines http://www.isuzuphil.com/?page=prodDetail&cat=19

We also had news that Swaraj Mazda was considering bringing in Isuzu MUV's Thread link.
I too spotted two Isuzu Alteras today around 7.00PM at Nasik Phata on Mumbai-Pune (Old Highway). They were Isuzu for sure. I too noticed the huge logo in the front. They were moving to towards Mumbai. The number plate was MH-12 TC 534 D and the second one I could not read. As it was dark, I could not take photo or notice other things in detail as I was walking. Both of them were white in color. I initially thought some other manufacturers might have imported them for bench marking purpose. But there were two, I believe Isuzu has started testing them for launching in India. Hope these mules will not disappear like those of Peugeot test mules.
MaxTorque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 19:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But maybe it is someone's private vehicle and not a test mule. Isuzu hasn't been in the news for making an India entry so it could be an import.
I am reminded of a couple of articles I read some months back in The Economic Times & The Business Standard.

- Isuzu is indeed planning an Indian entry for some time now.

- The Indian entity's name is Isuzu Motors India Private Limited, and it is based in Chennai.

- They have planned an initial investment of 1,000 crores.

- They are currently scouting for a base in either Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat or Tamil Nadu to set up their plant. Tamil Nadu is suspected to be the frontrunner for this, because of TN's strong supplier base.

- The plant will have a capacity of churning out 100,000-120,000 units per annum.

- Expected to become fully functional by 2015.

Quoting from the Economic Times :-

Quote:
The company has already formed an Indian entity called Isuzu Motors India Private Limited, which is setting up an office in Chennai, in August. To begin with, Isuzu will assemble and distribute before setting up full scale manufacturing operations.

The immediate plan is to import CBUs (completely built units) and knocked down units of its lifestyle pick up truck DMAX and large SUVs like MU7 from Thailand which are sold in the South East Asian Markets by end of 2012.

In the first year, the plan is to sell 1,500 units, but a person in the know of development said, "The mid-term plan of Isuzu is to develop SCV model tailored for local needs, build localization of parts and expand the sales channel, and eventually move towards a local manufacturing plant which will produce 120,000 vehicles per year by 2016, with almost 40,000 units exported."

Location of the assembly plant is not yet known, but reports suggest that the company had been considering contract manufacturing at the Hindustan Motors-Mitsubishi plant in Tamil Nadu.

Isuzu India is also working closely with a Mitsubishi team located in Chennai to plan its India strategy. Mitsubishi globally has 9.2 per cent stake in Isuzu Motor Limited.

The other option could be the SML Isuzu plants in Chandigarh, a venture where Isuzu has a 15 per cent stake and manufactures light duty trucks and buses. The Isuzu India project team is likely to visit SML Isuzu plant next week, ET learns.

People close to the development say the company has already approached some of the leading car dealers in the country to sell Isuzu products and the customer clinics for a pick up truck, SUV and a small commercial vehicle is expected to happen in the next couple of months.
Detailed article - http://articles.economictimes.indiat...officials-dmax

BS article - http://www.business-standard.com/ind...t-site/484107/

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-isuzumu7wallpaper.jpg

Image of the MU-7 SUV courtesy imageocd.com.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 20:02   #12
BHPian

what is the point, these guys will come and launch it in the Fortuner price bracket. What we really need in India is a true SUV at Safari or XUV price point, which is as reliable as the Toyotas.

I think companies should really look at that segment. The duster what ever way people spin it, is not a true SUV. Please can't we have a true SUV which is high on reliability and fun to drive.

Last edited by eq24 : 19th October 2012 at 20:04.
eq24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 22:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

so who copied who? Foday explorer a.k.a Force one and Isuzu Alterra are too similar from inside and outside
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-14277226_1.jpg  

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-forcemotorssuvexplorerphoto.jpg  

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-41530195_6.jpg  

Spotted: Isuzus Undergoing Testing. EDIT : MU-7 SUV & D-Max Pickup launched-forcefodayexplorer3.jpg  

Old 19th October 2012, 23:23   #14
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The SUV from Isuzu is large, but is not attractive. It looks very ordinary with no butch looks, boring alloys and boring interiors. With the spare tyre tucked under the vehicle, the rear looks pretty ordinary.

I'm not sure what strategy Isuzu has in mind
Old 20th October 2012, 08:05   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24
I think companies should really look at that segment. The duster what ever way people spin it, is not a true SUV. Please can't we have a true SUV which is high on reliability and fun to drive.
The Duster is a very capable little SUV indeed. I dont know why you say in a somewhat depreciating manner that it is not a true SUV.
Is it that a so called 'true SUV' has to have a ladder chassis, suspension from the Ark, 4 wheel drive with LSD and all the rest of it? I think this is splitting hairs really because people refer to the Scorpio and Safari as SUV's regardless of whether they are 2WD or 4WD and frankly I dont think either of those can hold a candle in terms of capability and handling to the Duster. If the Duster came with 4WDin India, it would whip the pants off the other two.

I recently went on a high quality Desert Safari in Dubai where they vastly preferred the use of Land Cruisers though they offered the choice of Land Rover Defenders and Hummers. The man said that most people preferred the Land Cruiser on account of its independent coil spring suspension and greater comfort compared with both Land Rover and Hummer. He also said that the drivers vastly preferred the Land Cruiser because it was very comfy, tough as nails and more reliable than the other two. They do really put those vehicles through a great deal on the Dune bashing exercise. The vehicle we were in had run more than 300000kms in a couple of years. The man said they do on average about 400 kms per day...

However, the way forward for normal, non extreme usage, is clearly the crossover. Very few people really need the capability of a full blooded SUV in their daily lives.
The Duster then, is a highly capable crossover and will pretty much do all that you ask of it, except possibly serious rock crawling or slush roading, for which, frankly you are better off in a mechanical jeep.

I guess, in all humility, I should know, because we have had some species of this type of vehicle all my life at home.
shankar.balan is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks