Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2012, 09:47   #151
BHPian

Re: Disgruntled Skoda Superb owner advertises on NH8, Gurgaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, pop quiz time. What is a skoda superb (or come to that any other automobile). It is a:

a) submarine
b) boat
c) plane / helicopter
d) car

If the answer is a, please use the vehicle under water.
If the answer is b, please use the vehicle on top of water.
If the answer is c, please use the vehicle in the air.
Hilarious indeed !!!

Maybe we all need a hovercraft but unfortunately Skoda or VW does not make one yet. Coming to think of it, if a Yeti LWB edition can be launched for the Chineze market, why not consider a Yeti hovercraft edition for the Indian market? Knowing that Skoda started out making bicycles back in the late 1800's, followed by guns in the early 1900's, they can probably seriously think about diversifying into this area as well.

Sorry MODS for being OT but couldn't resist myself!!!
xplorauto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 16:57   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, pop quiz time. What is a skoda superb (or come to that any other automobile). It is a:

a) submarine
b) boat
c) plane / helicopter
d) car

If the answer is a, please use the vehicle under water.
If the answer is b, please use the vehicle on top of water.
If the answer is c, please use the vehicle in the air.
Well why not ask Skoda to build roads also to suit their Superb?
No offence meant but whatever you said make sense for a developed country like USA, but unfortunately not for India. We all know amount of beating our cars take in everyday travel and you can't be over protective beyond a certain period.

Common Man, with 135mm clearance you bound to suffer and struck your base on almost every speed breaker. I am not trying to justify owner and taking the car into watered territories but don't you agree that we find these kind of situations almost every day. All I want to say is that a commuter car which is not versed with handling daily commutaion problems is not good. May be owner (& driver) took the bad decision, but most of the people on this forum will appreciate the fact that buying such a car is a headache (Unless you plan your daily route with caution)

Also.
- It's not a 1 crore supercar which is bought for fun and leisure rides. It's a 20 lac D segment vehicle which is used for commutation (and most certainly chauffer driven)

- Well, all I can say is that buyer is at fault because he has bought a car which requires judgment and decision making at every nook and corner of India, which we unfortunately call roads.

Regards,
Maddy

Last edited by Passiautonate : 31st October 2012 at 16:59. Reason: Correction
Passiautonate is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 17:17   #153
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Could not agree more.
In the general Chennai scenario, all it takes is a brief spell of rain to flood most roads. So assume one is driving down and comes to a flooded road that one travels on regularly, what is one supposed to do ? Check the manual, take a dipstick, measure the depth of water and then decide whether to proceed or stay put (going back is not an option since you would have scores of vehicles behind you) ?

Ofcourse this is different from scenarios where an owner foolishly takes a sedan offroading, in which case it is only his fault.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 15:11   #154
Senior - BHPian

Skoda is definitely a very good car but its the dealers who are messing things up and Skoda as a company is unable to control the situation due to some unknown reasons.

My windscreen and headlamp washer stopped working and Tafe Access Bangalore refused even to check the car as I'd installed an after market Audio System along with HID lamps!
Old 20th November 2012, 16:13   #155
BHPian

Well Skoda After Sales Service is quiet popular (unpopular) PAN India. Other day I was watching Autocar show where a person who was interested to buy a Yeti was inquiring about the same. Even the anchor suggested him to take a feedback from the existing Skoda owners from his City- then decide on the vehicle.

Well Polite way of saying- "I agree with you mate- see if you can find exceptional service (good service is exception ) and then bet your money"
Old 20th November 2012, 17:59   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
My windscreen and headlamp washer stopped working and Tafe Access Bangalore refused even to check the car as I'd installed an after market Audio System along with HID lamps!
To be fair you did open up your car quite a bit as per what I saw on your ICE thread. You even opened up your stock Bolero stereo I presume - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...ml#post2939958 . These electronics laden cars need to be carefully handled otherwise something like this is bound to happen unless you know 100% what you are getting into.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 19:59   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Skoda is definitely a very good car but its the dealers who are messing things up and Skoda as a company is unable to control the situation due to some unknown reasons.

I disagree with the statement that only dealers are responsible for the general sentiment about Skoda. I mean 135mm ground clearance is not decided by the dealers. A/C conking off has nothing to do with the dealer. As stated in your post what is wipers malfunction has nothing to do with the dealer. All this has o do with the design and the company tself.
And if there is so much furore over the integrity of the dealer why is Skoda allowing them to exist.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:30   #158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I I mean 135mm ground clearance is not decided by the dealers. A/C conking off has nothing to do with the dealer. As stated in your post what is wipers malfunction has nothing to do with the dealer. All this has o do with the design and the company tself.
And if there is so much furore over the integrity of the dealer why is Skoda allowing them to exist.
Ground-clearance has nothing to do with how good or bad a car is. Some of the best and most luxurious / fastest cars in the world sit relatively lower to the ground than some other cars. Unfortunately, low ground-clearance is a draw-back in a country like India where every inch counts given the sorry state of our roads.

Also, it's worthy to note that ground-clearance on paper might not give you an absolutely clear picture on the car's ability to tackle bad roads. The Honda Civic's ground-clearance for instance is rated at 170 mm, but it's prone to hitting even moderately large speed-breakers as it hunkers down when it's loaded with people / luggage.

The Laura's 135 mm sounds bad on the face of it, but I haven't heard of too many complaints from my Laura owning friends regarding ground-clearance at least. It could be the stiffer suspension setup that prevents the car from 'sitting' under the weight. Perhaps Anshuman / Manson could explain in detail.

Skodas and European cars in general are not as reliable as Japanese cars. they are more expensive to maintain in the long run too. But let's not take away the fact that Skoda / VW make some wonderfully put-together cars.

Remember, some of the most desirable cars in the World are terrible when it comes to reliability and efficiency. But this is no excuse and if you want to be a profitable company in today's World, you need to listen to your customers.
Old 20th November 2012, 22:19   #159
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My laura 1.9 PD AT L&K use to hit speed bumps with stock 205/55/R16 but not with 205/60/R16 and neither with 225/55/R16 that it has currently. It just clearly each and every speed bump on offer. I believe with the Laura refresh the suspension was further tweaked for Indian conditions and even 205/55/R16 are fine now.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:53   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I disagree with the statement that only dealers are responsible for the general sentiment about Skoda. I mean 135mm ground clearance is not decided by the dealers. A/C conking off has nothing to do with the dealer. As stated in your post what is wipers malfunction has nothing to do with the dealer. All this has o do with the design and the company tself.
Well the 135mm ground clearance is only for the 3.6L V6 superb, which is a specialty vehicle. All other Laura/Superbs in India are with 160-165mm GC. Moreover Skoda provides a rough road package for most of their cars in India. As pointed out by Suhaas, GC is not the only factor when considering the ability of a car to tackle bad roads.

Besides you should drive a low slung sedan once and you will realize how well it handles.

About the wiper malfunction, it can happen to any car if you tinker too much with the electronics. I dont think its justified to blame the company for design flaws based on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Ground-clearance has nothing to do with how good or bad a car is. Some of the best and most luxurious / fastest cars in the world sit relatively lower to the ground than some other cars. Unfortunately, low ground-clearance is a draw-back in a country like India where every inch counts given the sorry state of our roads.

Also, it's worthy to note that ground-clearance on paper might not give you an absolutely clear picture on the car's ability to tackle bad roads. The Honda Civic's ground-clearance for instance is rated at 170 mm, but it's prone to hitting even moderately large speed-breakers as it hunkers down when it's loaded with people / luggage.

The Laura's 135 mm sounds bad on the face of it, but I haven't heard of too many complaints from my Laura owning friends regarding ground-clearance at least. It could be the stiffer suspension setup that prevents the car from 'sitting' under the weight. Perhaps Anshuman / Manson could explain in detail.
robimahanta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 15:06   #161
BHPian

Logically speaking it is neither the car owner nor the car manufacturer who should be paying the damages. It is the government and the road development authorities to whom we pay tax through our noses who should be sued.
It is the gross negligence and utter incompetence of these authorities due to which we see lake-like bodies on even our busiest intersections. It's not that we are the only country in the world that receives rains - there are many other places that receive similar and more rainfall. But I think our country is pretty much the only democracy on earth in which the govt. has nil accountability towards its citizens.
EagleEye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 22:39   #162
BHPian

Unhappy motorist plasters his £35,000 Audi A5 with slogans and parks it outside dealership

Disgruntled Skoda Superb owner advertises on NH8, Gurgaon-27e40ea600000578.jpg
Quote:
A furious motorist has plastered his £35,000 Audi A5 with slogans and parked it outside the dealership he bought it from because it uses a litre of oil every time he fills it up.

Ravi Beefnah, 34, parked his white Audi A5 - which is covered in red lettering - outside the entrance of the dealership in Chelmsford, Essex, in February as a warning to other buyers.

Two months later and Mr Beefnah's protest is still there, with the owner claiming that Audi have failed to resolve his long-running complaint about the engine and fix the car.
darklord is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 00:58   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Unhappy motorist plasters his £35,000 Audi A5 with slogans and parks it outside dealer

I admire this man's courage and determination. Clearly India is not the only market that witnesses unexpected failures from German cars.
Old 24th April 2015, 02:49   #164
BHPian

A very sad site indeed. People invest their hard earned money on these kind of premiums and ultimately have to face this. This man surely has enough courage to do this. Here in India also the same thing is happening and these things are increasing in a very fast rate. 2 days ago itself I was watching a post on fb, a person here in Kolkata bought a brand new MB S500 and after taking the delivery of the car, the person didn't even travel for a km that the car's AC stopped working all of a sudden and stalled in the middle of the road. You buy a Rs.1.03Cr car from your hard earned money and you have to face this.

Most Viewed