Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2012, 10:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upcoming Mini Aria

What's the deal with Mini Sumo Gold mentioned in the same OD article? Is Tata planning to take on the Ertiga with Mini Aria (I still feel this would be based on the Manza platform) and the Quanto with Mini Sumo?
Old 7th November 2012, 11:57   #47
BHPian

I have a doubt.
Won't the Mini Aria look almost like the Indica Vista?

This came to my mind when I saw the artist's impression on the OD article.
If it comes out in flesh the same, will end up looking like a vista with a spare wheel at the back.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:32   #48
BHPian

The Quanto looks like e taller tallboy..the mini Aria would follow suite. The 5+2 seating is a sham as only kids can be put in those seats, and i wonder how many families would put their kids in such risky seats that will bump around like hell!!
This miniaturised SUVs are a disturbing trend.
The Ertiga is totally different product altogether.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:04   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
This is the rendering by me for New Mini Aria.

Attachment 1011465
(Disclaimer: This rendering is developed on a pic posted by IAB)
Nice work!! But how different is this from the Vista? I mean in side profile it looks so similar to the vista.
Old 7th November 2012, 23:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

read news on worldcarfans.com that LR is developing 4 mtr. Range Rover. seems like tata guys are now in the R&D of JLR
Old 8th November 2012, 00:26   #51
BHPian

It will look like the Vista , maybe an overgrown vista .. or a 4WD vista ... or a vista on stilettos . But this isnt gonna help TATA . And such a bulky body using a MJD will take away all the efficiency of the MJD .

OT : Check out the TOp Gear video comparing off roading capabilities of the Range ROver and a FIAT PANDA . I think TATA should adapt the FIAT Panda platform to make a mini SUV . Minimum R&D and max results /.
Old 8th November 2012, 00:51   #52
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
read news on worldcarfans.com that LR is developing 4 mtr. Range Rover. seems like tata guys are now in the R&D of JLR
I think the "The world is becoming a smaller place" and its showing up everywhere!

The Overdrive article here also mentions about a "Mini" Sumo Gold. Only thing left is a 'Mini' Storme. Might as well make that one!
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 11:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
It will look like the Vista , maybe an overgrown vista .. or a 4WD vista ... or a vista on stilettos . But this isnt gonna help TATA . And such a bulky body using a MJD will take away all the efficiency of the MJD
Well said.

FIAT Multijet engine is made for its application in passenger cars only & not to lug heavy 1.4 tonne+ UVs. It's too delicate for its use in those UVs, due to its lighter parts.
See TATA MANZA, it's a heaviest sedan in its segment & due to it its performance. Despite of having 90PS avatar of Multijet engine in it, it's poorly responsive at low revs(at 1500rpm, before its Turbo spools-up) & its only good performer at high revs when its turbocharger gets into action.

So, for TATA to develop a New Aria, there're few options, like;

-Develop a Mini-Aria on full monocoque or Semi-monocoque chassis like NANO, to keep the weight under check.
-Either develop 1.5 CR4 version of Indica/Indigo eV2 based 1.4 engine, which should develop atleast healthy 90PS. It's relatively a heavier engine.

P.S: Please don't make the 1.5, 3-cylinder engine from 2.2 DiCOR/VariCOR series.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Slym looks pretty interested in the Sub 4 metre UV segment. Going in the right direction, IMHO.

Quote:
Need to explore non-real SUV segment

Karl Slym to CNBC-TV18:
We have the real tough SUV. We have the car that can do anything in the Safari Storme. But there are many people now looking into that segment. They don’t really necessarily need a car that can perform like an SUV, but might look like an SUV.

Therefore, that’s a segment that we haven’t really played in properly in the past. We have always done the real SUV as opposed to the one that’s okay for the streets of, let’s say, Mumbai. That is an area where we need to develop.

If we look at the other areas, over 70 percent vehicles in India are in the sub-four metre category, in the small segment. We have cars there. But it is so de-segmentized in that area that we have opportunities for other cars in that same segment.

Source: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...rs_779976.html
Old 10th November 2012, 12:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

From the pictures it "appears" that Mini-Aria might have front facing 7 seats. It should be able to satiate the hunger, but would it really have takers. Renault duster provides brand image, Ford Ecosport provides looks and features and Maruti the simplicity of service. Nissan, Hyundai and Maruti are gearing with thier <4 meter SUVs/MUVs, Tough competition ahead.

I could not figure our how tata expects that they wuld break-even with a Mini Aria. I think it would be a sales dud.

- Do we really need a mini Aria now ? when the full size aria @ 20 lacs is full of niggles. I feel Tata must concenrate on making it niggle free and then going for newer models. honestly, no point in launching models and waiting for niggles to solve.

Lateral-Move the JLR folks to the Tata QC line and idenitify and resolve issues. Once issues are resovled, offer extra warranty against competition (even extra 3 months is fine) and slowly build a reputation with people. A Premium service station for Arias, Stormes and Safari would not hurt either.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 10th November 2012 at 13:00.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:20   #56
BHPian

Compact SUV from TATA

During this weeks Autocar show it was mentioned TATA is working on a compact SUV / MUV based on X1 platform.

Good part is that they are not chopping Safari / Sumo / Aria to achieve the desired result but working on the versatile X1 platform which has produced Vista and Manza.

And with discontinuation of Marina the platform is all set.

Does any body have any update on this development?

PS: MODS please merge if a thread already exists.
soumobakshi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 14:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Re: Compact SUV from TATA

A good move by Tata !

In fact I was just hoping for this over the past few weeks, seeing products like the Duster and Quanto getting launched. I was wishing they would build it on a successful platform, and that wish too might be coming true after all
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Related thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...oad-again.html

Hoping this is not a rumour. I wish Tata retains some of the Sierra design DNA (and not the same old body, like the Safari/Storme!!). They have a customer in me ...
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2012, 15:33   #59
gemi_kk

Nice move from Tata's.

But, why again the same Indica platform. They could improvise the Sierra platform if required.

When tata's entered the passinger car market, the design for Indica was given to some company. They provided the design. Since then there weren't any new cars from tata, which look different.

Even i see Indica's genes in their latest 15+ Lakh worth crossover ARIA.

OT: i remember that, the design for Indica and Fiat palio were provided by the same company. FIAT filed a case against that company saying that, the design for indica matches with the design sold to FIAT (Palio).

So if FIAT Palio handles very well, then why not Indica?

Old 23rd December 2012, 17:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Nice move from Tata's.

But, why again the same Indica platform. They could improvise the Sierra platform if required.

When tata's entered the passinger car market, the design for Indica was given to some company. They provided the design. Since then there weren't any new cars from tata, which look different.

Even i see Indica's genes in their latest 15+ Lakh worth crossover ARIA.

OT: i remember that, the design for Indica and Fiat palio were provided by the same company. FIAT filed a case against that company saying that, the design for indica matches with the design sold to FIAT (Palio).

So if FIAT Palio handles very well, then why not Indica?
Just in case if you do not know, Indica and Vista platforms are altogether different. Vista and Manza share common platform known as X1.
sushantr5 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks