Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 16:28   #16
BHPian

re: Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?

Along with being superstitious, black as a colour absorbs the maximum amount of heat, which for us Indians will mean that the AC/compressor has to work more to keep us cool during the summers and the hotter months leading to more fuel comsumption.

But I will still go for Black any day, its just too mesmerizing!
Old 30th October 2012, 21:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Both the graphs looks almost similar, except for black. Should have something to do with the fact that we are a superstitious lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Me too surprised to see Black so low down!

White in the lead makes sense given the large number of tourist taxis, etc.

Back in 2004 we ran a similar poll on Team-BHP (just around then black cars were getting more commonplace) : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ars-bikes.html

cya
R
It is a lot to do with weather conditions in a particular region. Indian conditions are very dusty, and polluted hence darker colours tend to get dirty much quicker (contrary to popular belief) in these condition.

Additionally, Indian driving style means that you cannot avoid knick knacks and scratches are visible more in black colour than any other colour. Personal Experience.

White tops the list not only because of taxi usage but is also easiest to maintain.
Old 30th October 2012, 22:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

I think most cars look good in white. That's probably why it's on top of the list. White being on top globally is surprising to me. I have spotted very few white cars on my trips abroad (Europe). Most cars seemed to be silver or black.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:37   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its not surprisingly at all that white and the silver are the most preferred choice for the car colour in India. The reason why Black isnt that clicking with Indians is general perception that Black coloured vehicles tend to become ovens during the summers and that the colour needs extra maintenance.

A scratch on the white car is looked as a beauty spot whereas on the black it looks like a scar.
Old 31st October 2012, 08:48   #20
BHPian

Red & Black are a bit different as compared to global stats.
Black is considered inauspicious, associated with low visibility. Scratches also are more visible in black as compared to White/Silver.

But why is red lagging behind? It looks great on beat, punto, old lancers , polo etc.
I guess graphite gray is going to be the next silver !
Old 31st October 2012, 09:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Well! That's not very surprising is it?

Globally, there is a fascination for everything white nowadays.

Many even pick their super cars in white. That says a lot.

I think in Kerala, almost 90% of the cars are white.
Old 15th June 2014, 20:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Region wise colour preferences of cars in India

Friends,

Over the period of many years, having lived mostly in North and now in South India, have noticed a certain colour preference of car buyers belonging to different regions.

For examples, in Delhi predominantly, Silver is seems to be the most preferred colour. Infact, When i was in Delhi my WagonR was a silver colour too.

Things change when you move towards Haryana belt (Gurgaon). There, white seems to be the colour of choice. Infact, Gurgaon being an IT city, the predominance of White coloured cabs, together with mostly white coloured personal cars makes for a very ineteresting scenario. White Swift with tinted glasses (before the ban), seemed to be the "national" car of Gurgaon at one time.

Here in down south, the things change. The preference seems to be more towards Black and Red here. Infact, i seen much more black colour cars here when compared to North.

Anyone else with similar observations. What colour does the west and eastern part of country drive?
Old 15th June 2014, 21:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Region wise colour preferences of cars in India

I think it also depends on the car when it comes to colour preference. This apart, Bangalore does not represent the whole of South India.

To illustrate my point, I've seen that 70% of the Figos in Hyderabad are white, and around 50% of i10s are red. Most Cruzes and Vernas (Fluidic) are also white in this city.
Old 15th June 2014, 22:56   #24
Team-BHP Support

Weather conditions have something to do with it perhaps? North India can get pretty hot during summer and hence people prefer lighter shades?

Just take a look at Dubai/Saudi traffic photos. It's a sea of white and silver.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=du...w=1366&bih=643
Old 15th June 2014, 23:01   #25
BHPian

Bangalore in my opinion has a penchant for vibrant colours. You can see many navy blue Vento's, wine red manza's, City, black beamers and audis etc. In Kerala you predominantly see white cars whether hatch or sedan. That's just my observation, but I have not felt any existence of a generalised colour in Tamil Nadu.
Old 15th June 2014, 23:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Friends,

For examples, in Delhi predominantly, Silver is seems to be the most preferred colour. Infact, When i was in Delhi my WagonR was a silver colour too.
True, The Silver is the favorite color in Delhi-NCR and this comes from the owner of a Silky Silver Esteem and Ex-owner of Silver Optra. The reason in my view is the ease of cleaning it and retaining it's shine. Also, if the car gets hit the Silver color is easiest to re-paint since there are many cars of this shade here so color availability is not a problem in body shops.

Quote:
Things change when you move towards Haryana belt (Gurgaon). There, white seems to be the colour of choice. Infact, Gurgaon being an IT city, the predominance of White coloured cabs, together with mostly white coloured personal cars makes for a very ineteresting scenario.
White color exudes power plus White is the basic color that is offered by all brands so the easiest color (without extra charges for color) to buy in any car is White. Gurgaon is the IT hub so the BPOs buy their fleet in White as it's readily available. However, keeping it shining and scratch less is a herculean task in Delhi-NCR. Paint matching of White is also very tough.

Quote:
Here in down south, the things change. The preference seems to be more towards Black and Red here. Infact, i seen much more black colour cars here when compared to North.
Not to sound biased, but South India has got car-lovers who believe in sporty shades like Red and Black. Secondly, because it has "pro-modification" enthusiasts who after getting a sporty color like Red modify their rides and the color accentuates the overall appeal of the car.

Thanks.

Last edited by ad3952n : 15th June 2014 at 23:37. Reason: spell check
Old 15th June 2014, 23:36   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
White Swift with tinted glasses (before the ban), seemed to be the "national" car of Gurgaon at one time.
Here in Kerala it still is. Usually white colour in here connotes taxis or politician vehicle if its larger in size, but when it comes to Swifts and to a good extent i20 too it mean an young professional or IT guy is behind the wheels. Add thicker rubber and alloys if he is slightly enthusiastic.

And the white hatchbacks usually are accompanied by a white samsung galaxy smartphone or Note.
Old 16th June 2014, 00:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
= In Kerala you predominantly see white cars whether hatch or sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
White color exudes power plus White is the basic color that is offered by all brands so the easiest color (without extra charges for color) to buy in any car is White. Gurgaon is the IT hub so the BPOs buy their fleet in White as it's readily available. However, keeping it shining and scratch less is a herculean task in Delhi-NCR. Paint matching of White is also very tough.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Here in Kerala it still is. Usually white colour in here connotes taxis or politician vehicle if its larger in size, but when it comes to Swifts and to a good extent i20 too it mean an young professional or IT guy is behind the wheels. Add thicker rubber and alloys if he is slightly enthusiastic.
In Kerala the white cars or lighter coloured ones seem to predominate. I feel Keralites have a natural inclination to white colour, be it clothes or cars. I nave a booked a white city recently and was told by more than one dealer that white is the most preferred colour and that it commanded a longer wait time. Unlike what ad3952n has stated, I feel it is easier and cheaper to maintain the exteriors of a white car.
Old 16th June 2014, 01:12   #29
BHPian

I think, the colour changes not regionwise but as per time.
Red Maruti (old models pre-'90s) to Neptune Blue Marutis (new models -90s) to Silver Altos and WagonRs (2Ks).
The trend is towards white now, nationwide.
That's my feeling.
Old 16th June 2014, 08:26   #30
BHPian

I think in Kerala people drive white/ silver cars mostly for the reason that the sun burns down on us all through the year, and daytime temperature ranges between 30 and 40 degrees. Light coloured cars are substantially "cooler" to drive here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks