Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?

I don't really remember when Dupont released the report but I stumbled upon it today . Since the 2012 report isn't out, 2011 is what you get to see.

Source : http://www2.dupont.com/Media_Center/...or_popularity/

India :
Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?-dupont2011_india-colorhr.jpg

Global :
Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?-dupont2011_global-colorhr.jpg
rk206 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 12:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?

Thanks for sharing. Interesting and good to see that Indian trends are not too way off from Global ones. Only main difference is with Black which I think is expected cause lot of cultures within India dont consider black as an auspicious color. I know a friend whose father didnt let him bring his black car to his brother's wedding .

Last edited by supertinu : 30th October 2012 at 12:41.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 12:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Glad to see Silver being up there with White. This is news to me, i would have thought Black, White, and Grey would top the list by far, for this very reason home front was not too pleased that i choose a Silver Civic. Now i can show this report at home.

Red as a colour brings strong emotions, sometimes positive and other times negative. No wonder there are few takers for Red.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Both the graphs looks almost similar, except for black. Should have something to do with the fact that we are a superstitious lot.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:50   #5
BANNED

I think Silver was Numero Uno for some years, before that it was White!
Old 30th October 2012, 13:51   #6
Team-BHP Support

Me too surprised to see Black so low down!

White in the lead makes sense given the large number of tourist taxis, etc.

Back in 2004 we ran a similar poll on Team-BHP (just around then black cars were getting more commonplace) : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ars-bikes.html

cya
R
Old 30th October 2012, 13:51   #7
Mik
BHPian

Thats humbling to see. I really get pissed off with all my friends and relatives who keep on saying "Why red, you should have bought White! ". I used to snigger at them for being unimaginative and for following the herd (Red being the hot/ colour of passion)
Apparently, its a global trend.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:59   #8
BHPian

Found another interesting link, about what a color of the car says about you!

http://www.drivingthenation.com/?p=133
Old 30th October 2012, 14:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think white is the easiest to maintain (at least in north India). Dust and dirt are less visible on white than on other darker colours. I also believe that black is almost invisible at night and is involved in more accidents then white due to its visibility.

Black looks most elegant if it is well maintained and horrendous if scratches, dents and dust are left as it is IMO. (SUVs being exceptions here)
Old 30th October 2012, 14:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yayy!! MY colour is on top. In India, Black being associated with the occult or dark arts, is considered inauspicious. Hence it is way down. White and Silver as most popular colours matches the number of cars on the road as well. So I can relate to the report.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:43   #11
BHPian

Largely along expected lines. Although blue lagging behind like that is a bit of a surprise. I would've thought it is a rather popular color here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I think white is the easiest to maintain (at least in north India). Dust and dirt are less visible on white than on other darker colours.
Shouldn't it be quite the opposite actually? Intuitively speaking, dust/dirt ought to be more prominent/visible on a lighter color like white. Wouldn't darker colors tend to mask/merge with dust??

You'd probably have to work harder to keep a white car from looking dusty.
Old 30th October 2012, 14:54   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

White is very much up there (may be due to the yellow boards, solid paint). If we discount that aspect, then probably silver takes the lead in India.

OT: Myself have a white linea (solid paint and its not a cab/yellow boards)
Old 30th October 2012, 14:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Segment wise comparison and filtering out the cab segment might give a slightly different perspective. Also, the availability is another factor that drives the sales of common colours. When we booked the Swift, delivery time for white/silver was lesser than colours like sunlight copper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I think white is the easiest to maintain (at least in north India). Dust and dirt are less visible on white than on other darker colours. I also believe that black is almost invisible at night and is involved in more accidents then white due to its visibility.
I would like to disagree on white being easy to maintain.
I have red, white and grey cars in the stable. Personally, red seems to be much easier to maintain, and white needing the wash most frequently.

I do agree regarding the visibility aspect of black, which was the only reason everyone in my family disagreed with black when choosing the colour - Had to brake hard at night at least a couple of times due to black cars taking U turns in the middle of the road and becoming visible only once it comes into the range of the headlights. With other colours, you can atleast see that there is some obstacle but with black its really difficult, especially if you are facing the side profile of the car.
Old 30th October 2012, 15:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206 View Post
I don't really remember when Dupont released the report but I stumbled upon it today lol
The results are pretty much the same compared to the previous year's report. Here's a direct comparo, taken from our very own thread on TBHP

Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?-dupont2011_india-colorhr.jpg
Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?-05dupont.jpg

Colour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?-dupont2011_global-colorhr.jpgColour Popularity Report: Which car colours sell the most in India?-04dupont.jpg

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 30th October 2012 at 15:07.
Warwithwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 15:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Shouldn't it be quite the opposite actually? Intuitively speaking, dust/dirt ought to be more prominent/visible on a lighter color like white. Wouldn't darker colors tend to mask/merge with dust??
I had dark blue m800 as my first car as I hated white/silvers for being so common. After that al my cars were lighter (now white) as I realized that dust being beige in colour has a contrasting effect on blues and blacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I would like to disagree on white being easy to maintain.
I have red, white and grey cars in the stable. Personally, red seems to be much easier to maintain, and white needing the wash most frequently.
Red and Grey might be better than white (I never owned them) but dark blue and black are pain. Especially in dusty areas like Greater Noida and Gurgaon.

I do not like white cars but at present have two of them as I think that it is the price to pay for living in Gurgaon. I feel good when I see a condition of a darker car on a windy day.

Most Viewed