Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 11:57   #166
BHPian

re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Motorbeam has scooped the official pricing and all details regarding engine options and variants of Terrano:

Source: http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/nissan...rs-8-90-lakhs/
Seems like a baseless scoop(I may be wrong) because the Duster Diesel is priced at 8.7lakhs ex-Delhi currently and as per earlier reports the Nissan was to be 50-60k pricier than it.Also,why would Nissan launch only the 85ps version and not the 110ps which would add to the premium tag of its offering.Ofcourse Renault could cut the Duster's price by 50-60k to accommodate the Terrano which would be the right thing to do as it is overpriced currently for what it offers.
Nissan would also do well to launch a 4x4 variant of the Terrano from the start(seems unlikely)
Old 20th June 2013, 21:13   #167
Senior - BHPian

May be it is not good weighing a product before it is launched. But, I really am not getting what is so great in getting a face-lift and a couple of additional features, for a differentiation from an existing twin!

What is the real purpose of the Terrano in the Indian market? Just to eat into Duster's share? Will the Terrano pose a slightest competition to any other manufacturer than Renault? IMO, the prospective Duster customers are the most who will think about the Terrano. Micra and Pulse, Scala and Sunny, Rapid and Vento just eat into each other's pie, is what I feel. May be I am wrong or short on thoughts, so I am open to corrections.
Old 20th June 2013, 21:37   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
IMO, the prospective Duster customers are the most who will think about the Terrano. Micra and Pulse, Scala and Sunny, Rapid and Vento just eat into each other's pie, is what I feel. May be I am wrong or short on thoughts, so I am open to corrections.
The manufacturer wins either ways. Divide and rule.
Old 20th June 2013, 22:31   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The manufacturer wins either ways. Divide and rule.
I think Thoma's point is; Its not eating from some other SUV's pie but only Renault's pie. If it can eat out from XUV territory, that would be good.

And if the build quality is good, then base modes also should give enough fight to Ecosport top end diesel models too.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2013, 07:33   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If it can eat out from XUV territory, that would be good.

And if the build quality is good, then base modes also should give enough fight to Ecosport top end diesel models too.
+1. Or even create a niche for itself.

Nissan, if you are not planning to present a different product, that meets the eye (read exterior and interiors) and other sense (tranny, cost etc), from the successful Duster, I doubt how many will bet on the Terrano. The market is eager for a new product, and not a re-brand or a face-lift; unless you design it that hot.
Old 21st June 2013, 11:27   #171
BHPian

Moreover there are some sales pockets where Renault brand will have less takers than Nissan brand & vice versa.

Eg: European NRI families will prefer Renault & Middle East NRI families might prefer Nissan since they are more comfortable with successful brands they see on a daily basis. (Of course TBHPians excluded)
Old 21st June 2013, 22:25   #172
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I just hope there is significant differentiation in addition to just a price differential between the two, rather than just a rebranded Duster. If they can successfully do this, they can with a technically 'almost' same vehicle get a larger share of the SUV market pie.
Old 22nd June 2013, 22:43   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
+1. Or even create a niche for itself.

Nissan, if you are not planning to present a different product, that meets the eye (read exterior and interiors) and other sense (tranny, cost etc), from the successful Duster, I doubt how many will bet on the Terrano. The market is eager for a new product, and not a re-brand or a face-lift; unless you design it that hot.
If Nissan can redesign the rear seat in Terrano with more leg space and a better seat recline angle, I feel they will outsell the duster. They can also try to reduce the turbo lag in the higher version.
Passiondrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 12:49   #174
BHPian

In my opinion, Terrano would be a hit only if it is able to show differentiation and distinction compared to Duster.

Though Duster is successful, it looks ugly from some angles. Tyres look thin below the massive wheel arches, front grill, headlights, back lights looks unattractive and basic. I haven’t seen interiors, so I can’t comment on that.

Below features may work for Terrano:
1. Addition of jump seats at back to accommodate couple of kids (atleast for short drives) would make it value addition
2. Sun roof
3. Proper door on back with spare wheel attached (like EcoSport)

Last edited by hummer : 25th June 2013 at 13:04.
Old 28th June 2013, 12:18   #175
BHPian

Terrano will boost only external cosmetic changes. there wont be much changes internally, other than the change in Badge.
Pricing would be crucial for Nissan, since Ecosport has set a new benchmark in the C SUV category.
Old 28th June 2013, 23:15   #176
BHPian

1-Nissan can provide a roof mounted ac for the rear seat.
2-They can redesign the rear wheel floor hump in such a way to gain space where the rear seat can be moved backwards by two inches.
3-They can try to mask rivet points on the roof.
I feel, just that much should be sufficient to make one hell of an impression on the customer provided they price it right!
Old 29th June 2013, 18:14   #177
BHPian

Baah... That particular " studio shot" is not a studio shot. The sketch looks promising enough. The Terrano looks stunning than the Duster which looks old-school. Definitely not harming any Duster fan but the Terrano is sure a looker.

Going against the tide, I think Renault should pay the premium to Nissan. As the platform on which the duster is built belongs to Nissan. And I think the cost will be lesser as predicted earlier. If at all the price is lower when compared to duster, they can marginally bring in some gizmos to please the masses. They can bring in auto fold mirrors (A boon in India), ACC (If they can) change the placement of the headlamp adjustment switch, blah blah...

If they can, then they can compete against Renault easily. Remember Nissan, You go by your business, Think of Renault as your competitor. They gain profits with your product (B Platform). If Nissan can think like this, They can really smoke Renault into pieces.

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 29th June 2013, 19:08   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Where exactly did you see the volumes? Forget overtaking Maruti in 2 years, they should concentrate in providing reliable vehicles with impeccable service setup quickly. Opening 100 dealers is a waste if they cannot service cars to customers satisfaction.

Coming back to topic, how about a mini Pathfinder, Nissan?
2013 Pathfinder looks way wicked .

Thanks,
I completely agree. Duster sold because there was no competition in the category. Look at its all other models - sinking without a trace. They should have used the flood of footfalls into showrooms attracted by Duster and converted customers to others cars to increase brand's presence on the road but they were too busy celebrating Duster success. With competition arriving, they will have stock yards swelled once again. Its already visible because Duster is being advertised once again in media (which was absent after launch) due to drying up bookings!!!
Old 1st July 2013, 12:28   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Spy pics: Nissan Terrano caught testing for the 1st time;

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissanterranofrontendcamouflaged1024x819.jpg

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissanterranosideviewspyshot1024x819.jpg

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissanterranorearspied1024x819.jpg

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/n...no-spied-84688

Last edited by karan561 : 1st July 2013 at 12:30.
karan561 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 12:32   #180
Senior - BHPian

The interiors look different as well, though its difficult to be sure from this pic. the AC vents on the center console seem to be of a different design
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed