Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2013, 09:06   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The top-end 4x2 Dacia Duster costs 12,995 Pounds which is about Rs. 11.4 lakhs in India. This is their 'ex-showroom' price so to speak.(?)
12995 pounds is the OTR price as advertised in Dacia website and that is also what I could gather from other websites.
Old 9th February 2013, 12:11   #77
Team-BHP Support

re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
12995 pounds is the OTR price as advertised in Dacia website and that is also what I could gather from other websites.
The manufacturer's on-road price does not include insurance costs as it differs from person to person. Like I said, not everyone is charged with the same insurance premium. A lot depends on the driver's history (accidents, fines, etc). While for some, the premiums may be ridiculously cheap, while for others, it could go sky-high!

Also, taxes like congestion charge is not a one time payment.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2013, 15:30   #78
BHPian

That 12955 includes UK 17.5% vat. Better to compare ex factory and what goes to the automaker than tax and insurance which vary widely.

So without vat the laureate is around £10688 or 904578, which is around 2 lakhs less, which is a high premium for the Indian version.

Last edited by raul : 9th February 2013 at 15:42.
Old 9th February 2013, 16:29   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
That 12955 includes UK 17.5% vat. Better to compare ex factory and what goes to the automaker than tax and insurance which vary widely.
Alright, then in that case why don't we compare the ex-factory prices of the Duster sold in India and the UK? The ex-factory price of the Duster in India is even lower still, than the ex-showroom price. It may not be lower by 17.5% though.

I'm not sure if ex-factory prices are divulged. (I'm reminded of the Nano and the base-model's entry-level price tag of 1 lakh ex-factory..) It would be great if someone could provide a break-up on this.

That being said, I really don't think it's a good idea comparing prices of the same car sold in different countries. I'm going to take the liberty to quote my previous post for the benefit of others:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
EDIT: This doesn't take away the fact that the Duster is clearly overpriced. I've mentioned it before. It may be the cheapest way to go off-road in a new car, in Europe. But here in India, you've got other options if you're a hard-core off-road enthusiast. Options like the Safari, the Scorpio 4x4 (if it's still available) the Thar, etc.

Besides, the Duster presently doesn't cater to the off-road junta. It's a large hatch that's quite versatile. So you should ideally be paying mid-C segment sedan money for it, and not C+ money. @ 15 lakhs, it's ridiculous given that you get the XUV W6 for the same $$$. Find some more cash and you could get a Skoda that does pretty much the same thing it does! For what it offers in terms of fit-finish and equipment levels, the Duster is a good 2 lakhs more than it should be and I'm talking OTR prices now.

In the UK, it may not be considered very expensive given that the mainstream hatchbacks are Golfs and Clios and Focuses. But here in India, it's not the 'right' price. It's all about how the car is perceived. @ 13k pounds, it is good money for a new (not previously used) car like the Duster because there isn't much else other than perhaps some super-minis like the VW Polo that starts @ 10.5k and goes up to 20k! Here in India, you've got segment after segment (entry level hatchbacks like the Alto and the Santro, premium / large hatchbacks like the i20 and the Swift, entry level C segment sedans like the Sail sedan the Mahindra Verito and the Toyota Etios, mid-C segment sedans like the Vento / Rapid the Scala the Sunny the City etc, a smattering of home-bred SUVs like the Safari and Scorpio, entry-level and mid-range MUVs and 7-seaters like the the Bolero, the Innova, the Xylo, etc) before you get to the Duster. For a little more $$$, you could get the Storme, the XUV, the Yeti, etc. The choices unlike in the UK are VAST!

It's all about market dynamics.
Old 4th March 2013, 11:56   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan's SUV program for India is on track, inspite of the announced 3% hike on excise duty!

Quote:
Although the duty hike is set to make the upcoming Nissan SUV costlier than the company expected, the plans for introducing the car is on track. Their version of Duster is expected to be more than just a rebadging exercise

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th March 2013 at 11:57.
Old 4th March 2013, 15:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nissan's SUV program for India is on track, inspite of the announced 3% hike on excise duty!

Yet another company who try to make profit for themselves by blaming the government. From what we know, Duster or its Nissan version would not be impacted by the 3% hike as the engine size would be less than 1500cc for these. If the Nissan India MD claims they would pass on this non-existent hike burden to customers, I think we all know where that extra money would go to.
Old 21st March 2013, 07:36   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Nissan's SUV( Duster re-badged) would come eralier than expected!

Quote:
Nissan SUV (name still unknown) could come with a completely different front fascia and a new derriere too.

Inside, obviously, it won't come with as many features as the Duster, maybe, but expect Nissan to tweak the interiors to fit in with the rest of the Nissan family.

Going by the positioning of their current offerings, there's a high likelyhood that the Nissan SUV will be priced lower than the Duster.
http://bsmotoring.com/news/nissans-d...ty-soon/6553/1
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 11:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nissan's SUV( Duster re-badged) would come eralier than expected!

Inside, obviously, it won't come with as many features as the Duster, maybe, but expect Nissan to tweak the interiors to fit in with the rest of the Nissan family.

http://bsmotoring.com/news/nissans-d...ty-soon/6553/1
I just can't stop myself from laughing at this! If Nissan won't come with as many features as duster, what could it possibly have then? Dusters interiors are pretty spartan to begin with so i dread to imagine the Nissan SUV with Micra dials and even less features. I hope that the reality when its launched is not what i read here.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 11:34   #84
BHPian

+1 to what Nilesh said! They're using the same factory, right? The only hope may be that the interiors designed by Nissan and made by their suppliers is a tad better in fit & finish.

No mention of 4x4. Sigh.
Old 21st March 2013, 13:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

The front of Nissan looks much better than 90-ish front of Duster. I would any day pick this one over Duster. But, unfortunately, Ecosport is around corner to spoil Nissan's party.
Old 21st March 2013, 15:24   #86
Senior - BHPian

I believe if Nissan has to sell a cheaper model, they will be selling the 85ps Duster with the 110ps model being sold by Renault, but, wonder how would they change the interiors of the SUV, which aren't exactly appealing.

I also hope they offer 3rd row seating & 4-WD/ AWD option in the Duster variant/ spin-off they sell.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:06   #87
BANNED

Last week, after the third service, a service center floor manager came to drop my car to my office in the evening. I offered to drop him near my house which is also near to his place. On the way we had a little chat and he mentioned, Nissan is planning to lunch Duster based SUV in June, 2013.
This will be called JUKE and is the same model currently selling in north America region.
I am having a bit hard time believing this, as even if Nissan lunches north American version Juke in Indian market, it wont be at the same level of Duster, at least for the price point.
Old 5th April 2013, 12:52   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Last week, after the third service, a service center floor manager came to drop my car to my office in the evening. I offered to drop him near my house which is also near to his place. On the way we had a little chat and he mentioned, Nissan is planning to lunch Duster based SUV in June, 2013.
This will be called JUKE and is the same model currently selling in north America region.
I am having a bit hard time believing this, as even if Nissan lunches north American version Juke in Indian market, it wont be at the same level of Duster, at least for the price point.
Nissan Juke is a funky little Crossover with a bit of a coupé like styling. It lies in a category above the Duster (more around the Yeti territory). But I am not sure if Nissan have plans to use the name Juke for the Duster derivative in India.

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissanjuke2.jpg

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th April 2013 at 12:55. Reason: Picture Added - Nissan Juke
Old 5th April 2013, 13:55   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Nissan Juke is a funky little Crossover with a bit of a coupé like styling. It lies in a category above the Duster (more around the Yeti territory). But I am not sure if Nissan have plans to use the name Juke for the Duster derivative in India.
That was also my initial thought, Nissan may use the name Juke in India for their version of Duster. But when the floor manager mentioned, it would be based on the current version that sold in North America region, I got confused.
Old 15th May 2013, 05:26   #90

I have heard that it will be named x-storm and will be launched in the next 2 months. Hope they improve the quality of the interiors.
diptimanraje is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks