Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2013, 14:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

If the final product will be similar to the one shown here then its definitely an improvement over the Duster imho. Also Terrano sounds better than Duster to me. Regarding the price i guess its better to wait for an official confirmation.
Old 7th June 2013, 14:33   #122
Senior - BHPian

Now this is something interesting for the Indian market, not happened in past automobile history of India

- Sub 4 meter segment is getting hotter with compact SUVs (Ford), Sedans (Tata, Maruti, Honda) and premium hatchback (no need to mention names)
- Urban SUVs with Renault, followed by Ford and finally by Nissan
- Cross overs (VW with Polo shortly)

Well, the market will be full of choices atleast 10-20 vehicles per segment. Do we have money to buy - the automobile sector is facing challanging times !
Old 7th June 2013, 14:43   #123
Senior - BHPian

Here is the leaked picture of the Duster based Nissan SUV (source inautonews)
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-duster.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th June 2013 at 14:45.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 14:59   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for the record here's a pic of the original Terrano whose name Nissan has resurrected;

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissanterrano_5c94c.jpg

karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 15:16   #125
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Duster although over-priced & under-equipped is still selling like hot cakes!

I feel there might be a price-correction or reworking of the variants of the Duster once Terrano arrives. Remember reading in another thread about Scala being now available in the base diesel variant & 1 variant of the Sunny being discontinued(not sure which variant?)
First let us see how the market reacts to the EcoSport & if Duster is affected by it.
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 23:32   #126
Senior - BHPian

Its a pity that Nissan is keeping the poor quality interior of the Duster. I feel they could have made a posher cabin and sold the car at 1L over the Duster.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:56   #127
Senior - BHPian

Nissan's Duster based Terrano SUV: This is it!

Last week, it was revealed that the Nissan Terrano SUV is the Japanese car maker's rebadged and restyled version of the Renault/Dacia Duster. Today, we have a sketch that shows how the Nissan Terrano will look like through an official press release from Nissan India. The press release goes on to add that the Terrano SUV will be launched later this year. Team-BHP's sources indicate that the Terrano SUV could be launched after 3 months, close to the Indian festive season of Dusshera-Diwali. The Terrano SUV promises to be a game changer for Nissan India if the car maker can price it well as the Indian car market clearly loves well priced SUVs.

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissan-terrano.jpg

Underscoring how important the Terrano SUV is for the Nissan India, Mr Kenichiro Yomura, the President and CEO of the car maker's Indian unit, has had this to say,

Quote:
I am delighted to reveal both the name and the very first image of what will be a very important model for Nissan.
The Nissan Terrano SUV will be built at the Renault-Nissan joint car making facility at Oragadam, off Chennai. Preliminary speculations emerging on the Indian motoring web suggest that Nissan will position the Terrano above the Duster in terms of pricing by upto 75,000 rupees. Considering that the Duster's top end variants come dangerously close to the 15 lakh rupee mark in certain cities of India, Nissan will have a task at hand to justify a higher pricing for what is essentially a restyled and rebadged Renault Duster, a product that's sold in most parts of the world as a low cost SUV.

A better feature set and revamped interiors could come in handy for Nissan, if the Terrano indeed sits above the Duster in terms of price and positioning. The Terrano is expected to use the 1.5 Liter K9K turbo diesel engine for diesel variants of the SUV while it remains to be seen if Nissan will go ahead and launch a petrol powered variant of this SUV considering that Renault does offer a petrol powered Duster. Notably, the Terrano SUV will be the last badge engineered product from the Renault-Nissan alliance for the Indian car market. Going forward, both Renault and Nissan will launch independent products.
JayPrashanth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 14:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Looks very sharp and it is nice to see the blackening of the pillars which makes a big difference. Hope there are similar changes to the interior and it will be well worth the 75K premium over the Renault version.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:29   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking at the 1st official picture it truly looks well worth the extra money Nissan wants to demand for the Terrano

Lets hope Nissan can deliver the design in the production model which they have projected in this teaser image.

Giving a 4x4 option from the very beginning will also be a welcome move

Last edited by karan561 : 11th June 2013 at 14:31.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 14:39   #130
BHPian

Officially released sketch [1] matches that of earlier 3D rendered one [2] so hopefully its rear looks like this [3] !

[1] http://goo.gl/lVZF6
[2] http://goo.gl/73AHG
[3] http://goo.gl/rl0kz
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 15:04   #131
Team-BHP Support

Along with the good looks, significant changes to sheet metal (a much better quality of build), premium interiors; I would say a 15L OTR Bangalore would be a brilliant buy. I do understand, a 4WD would be an icing on the cake. But I am not sure if at that price, they would add it to the list. I also hope, Nissan does some tweaking to the 85bhp trip, to push it up a bit to 90bhp.

Or it may also be possible that they play premium and remove the 85 trim itself.

Last edited by ampere : 11th June 2013 at 15:10.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 15:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Officially released sketch [1] matches that of earlier 3D rendered one [2] so hopefully its rear looks like this [3] !

[1] http://goo.gl/lVZF6
[2] http://goo.gl/73AHG
[3] http://goo.gl/rl0kz
Yes, all 3 renderings seems to be based on same 3D model.
Old 11th June 2013, 18:55   #133
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Nissan's Duster based Terrano SUV: This is it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
we have a sketch that shows how the Nissan Terrano will look like through an official press release from Nissan India. The press release goes on to add thasly close to the 15 lakh rupee mark in certain cities of India, Nissan will have a task at hand to justify a higher pricing for what is essentially a restyled and rebadged Renault Duster, a product that's sold in most parts of the world as a low cost SUV.

A better feature set and revamped interiors could come in handy for Nissan, if the Terrano indeed sits above the Duster in terms of price and positioning. The Terrano is expected to use the 1.5 Liter K9K turbo diesel engine for diesel variants of the SUV while it rem Nissan will launch independent products.
The Terrano looks fantastic. If indeed it does come with killer looks like this and some other features which I will list in a moment, it is well worth the premium of 75K or even 1.25L over the Renault Duster.

1. Upgraded interiors with better materials being used.
2. Re-positioned Mirror Switch in the front.
3. More Safety Kit, ABS, Airbags for all passengers (6 or so), EBD, ESP etc.
4. Puddle Lamps and other small touches of finesse

If they can offer 4WD as an option and ask consumers to pay another 75K for it, I am sure there will be takers. It is eminently clear that most of the future SUV's are all likely to go the "Compact Crossover" route so if Nissan can get this product right for India and capitalize beautifully on the ground already broken by Renault, there will be absolutely no looking back for them.

Lets say 16.5-17 lacs on road Bangalore for the above super-spec. Any takers out there? Are you listening Monsieur Ghosn?

Such a vehicle will eat up whatever little market share is being currently enjoyed by the Yeti and its like. It will pave the way perfectly for the Korando C, the GM Trax and if Toyota wishes, even the RAV4.

If indeed this happens, then woe betide all the poor old antediluvian monsters masquerading as modern vehicles - like the Safari, Sumo, Scorpio, Force One etc etc. They will all have to go quietly to their "Elephants Graveyard" and extinguish themselves....
Old 11th June 2013, 20:25   #134
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan's Duster based Terrano SUV: This is it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
A better feature set and revamped interiors could come in handy for Nissan, if the Terrano indeed sits above the Duster in terms of price and positioning.
If i remember correctly Hormazd Sorabjee had clearly mentioned in his show that interiors would be the same, they would be identical to the Duster! Just look at the Scala & the Sunny interiors for example.
Regarding a better feature set, we'll have to wait & watch.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 20:37   #135
Senior - BHPian

If I were Renault - Nissan. I'd make the changes mentioned in the press release in Renault Duster itself and launch Duster V2.0 around Diwali (with no price increase). At the same time I would position the Terrano as an exclusives 4wd vehicle. For each trim that exists for Duster, there would be a corresponding Terrano 4wd, at a premium of say 50k.

In my mind atleast Nissan has a more off road image than Renault. I'd build the Nissan brand to occupy the mind space of the (still) vaccant 4wd slot in our marketplace.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks