Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 21:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Interesting to see Mahindra is on 3rd place and i am sure fast catching up on hyundai for that second place, all this with pure SUV/MUV power.

Coming to Quanto, it seems to be making decent numbers(ofcourse it will, because bolero still sells) and M&M must be enjoying the numbers of Xylo+quanto as they share same platform.
Old 1st November 2012, 21:55   #17
BHPian

Great analysis as usual GTO and parrys. Some observations

* SX4 having a great month, surprising for an old model..
* Duster having a great month even with the price hike. Looks like folks in Nissan should fast-track their SUV project to get some pie of this.
* Duster even outsells verna. Are compact SUVs stealing the show from sedans in C2? Wait till Ford , Nissan and VW launch their offerings..
Old 1st November 2012, 21:59   #18
BANNED

Thanks GTO and Parrys!

Good job as always!

Honda desparately needs a diesel engine in its portfolio else sales would be average or below average.

Sales of the Swift and alto are back and being maintained at the same level where they belong.

Vento Vs Rapid, Vento still holds the upper hand in sales, good to see that.

Duster and Quanto getting good numbers in such early stages. I can see many Quanto's and Duster's on the road here at Hyderabad!

One thing that I always check are the sales of Innova versus its competitors. Same level month-on-month.
Old 1st November 2012, 22:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

Where are you comments ? Do we have to make do with just the graphs ?

Please add them, I always read your comments and then the graphs.
Old 1st November 2012, 22:03   #20
BHPian

thanks GTO for posting the most loved thread so soon
Renualt it seems has hit the jackpot with Duster
hopefully this month will be good for all manufacturers
Old 1st November 2012, 22:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Curious, as to why the Yeti sold a measly 6 units? The earlier months have decent sales figure (in relative terms). Facelift?
Old 1st November 2012, 22:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO and Parrys for the data and analysis.

1) Duster's number as expected is climbing up steadily to 5000+ levels.
2) From last 3 months, it looks like Duster has not made a dent in Scorpio sales ( my guess turns out incorrect )
3) Bolero - 11k + ! Was there some major Govt purchase or what ? I am stiff baffled by the numbers this vehicle clocks !
4) to M&M for not trying to "hide" Quanto numbers into a combined figure for Xylo and Quanto the way Tata does with Vista + Indica and Manza + Indigo
5) Pathetic numbers by TaTa across segments. Slim numbers that Mr Slym has to grapple with.
6) Tata will probably report Storme figures along with the Safari so we will never know how many units the Storme is selling. Anyway going by last 8 months average, doesnt look like a major number of dispatches. Wonder what is stopping Tata from a country wide launch
Old 1st November 2012, 22:29   #23
gemi_kk

Thanks Parrys and GTO

I see that, Maruti gained a lot of market share.
Ford started Loosing some volumes.
Duster is rocking, there is a consistant increase in 1000 + cars sold every month.
Bolero has moved down the charts.

Vento sales are going up. Nice !!
Skoda is next to Fiat in sales charts. Of course from the bottom.

35 Linea's in a month sold. Tata is not able to sell such a good car not even in 3 digit numbers.

Old 1st November 2012, 22:43   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent, crisp and detailed report. And bang on 01st November itself!

I can't commend you guys enough for collecting up all the information, tallying them up together, making the graphs and tables, and posting them all on the first day of the month itself! Very, very efficient.

What a rabbit Renault has pulled out of it's hat with the Duster! For the second month running, it's held onto it's position firmly in the Top 20, and raking up numbers far more than it's more fancy counterparts. The Duster has become an example of how a superbly-priced product which ticks most boxes can become an immediate best-seller. Out of Renault's total monthly tally of 6790 units, the Duster alone has racked up 5406, which is almost 80% of all Renault India sales for the month! Really, really impressive.

Now Renault India needs to do something about it's sister concern as well. Nissan's sales have been steadily on the decline since the past 3-4 months with the Micra falling down really badly and the Sunny, their best product by far, just about managing to pull out 1000-odd units. Not good numbers for Nissan India's aspirations. But their A.S.S. and feedback over issues with both cars has been atrocious in recent times, and maybe that is taking a toll on the sales. That, and their thin A.S.S. network, which seriously needs an expansion to take the Micra/Sunny to the masses, where the money and the volume numbers lie.

Only 37 units of the Linea?! This despite the Fiat Caffes and the huge discounts and promise of better A.S.S. by Fiat India? Alarming, and really dangerous for the Italian company. And if you have only 2 offerings in the country and one of them is bringing you such poor sales (the other one, Punto, is not a huge volume seller either), then sustenance is out of the question, and survival comes into the limelight. Like HM-Mitsubishi, Fiat India needs to do something drastic to bring some improvement to those numbers. With the number of players increasing and companies getting more aggressive by the day in their marketing, Fiat needs some face-saving marketing badly, and quick. Otherwise they will have to pack their bags.

The Xylo's sales are going down as well. Quanto effect? A compact city UV with an excellent price will sell, 3-cylinder engine notwithstanding. People see utility and VFM first before specifications (the reason why the Duster is such a roaring success), and that shows in the Quanto's numbers. Debuting at ~1800 units and rising quickly to ~2500, it's destined to go up in the coming months. In fact, all Mahindra SUVs are doing well. Xylo needs a bit more exposure or a facelift (to distinguish it a bit from the Quanto) to get back into the reckoning.

Rapid has come down to ~1100 for the month! Skoda should sit up and take notice. Something is seriously wrong here if such a wonderfully engineered car is not bringing in the numbers and has been on the decline in recent times. It's not like the Vento has made a comeback and is eating into the Rapid's sales, on the contrary the bigger sister is just about holding it's own with less than 2000 numbers in the past 4 months. People are moving on to better products with killer pricing (Duster, Quanto) and Skoda needs to rethink it's strategies with the Rapid. Yeti at merely 6 units should be ringing some huge alarm bells as well. Lots of stuff to ponder over the drawing board for the marketing strategy guys at Skoda India.

A comparatively better month for Honda India. The Brio and the City have picked up in sales (no doubt due to the tremendous buzz on the Brio AT and the City CNG, and all the talks on the Honda diesels), but the Jazz continues it's woeful numbers and has fallen further. A shame really, because it is THE best petrol hatch available in India right now, IMO. And this is the Jazz's second innings, so it's a definite that come next year and the Brio sedan, Honda India will be pulling the plug on the Jazz if the numbers don't improve. Between the Brio sedan and the Fit MPV, there will be no scope (nor space) for the Jazz in Honda India's future plans. Remember they said that they want to take Honda "mainstream" in India? The Jazz won't be fitting into those plans, I am afraid. The City will continue to do well till the diesels arrive, simply because it is Honda's bestseller in India, plus it's got a superb sequential CNG option now as well, which makes it a great VFM proposition. And the Brio should continue it's decent numbers till the diesels arrive. All in all, the future looks promising for Honda India.

Thanks for all the details. Rating thread a superbly deserved 5-stars, which is usual for this thread. Add 1 more star from my side for posting it on the first day of the month, if you can.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 1st November 2012 at 22:46.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 22:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful analysis. This is defenitely the most sought after thread every month. However, this time round we missed out on GTO's superb summary at the end.

Coming to the numbers, Swift back to where it belongs and no compact UV has been able to diminish the percieved value this hatch provides to the Indian Junta. Ertiga again posting a great month staying at the second most selling UV after the Bolero.
One compact SUV by Maruti under 10 lakh and we would have one more in the list of top ten by Maruti.

The newest bloke in the Town, Quanto has a decent month. I guess this is where it will stay, neither more nor less and while these may not be great numbers, it definitely is great news for Mahindra because the Platform that was giving them 2.5 K sales every month now is giving them double that.

Tata going Ta Ta? Will have to wait for atleast 2-3 more months to see the effect of Storme.

Also Sail UVa making an entry. Interesting to see how the numbers for this hatch will add up at the end of this month.

Last edited by vibbs : 1st November 2012 at 23:01.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 23:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi
but the Jazz continues it's woeful numbers and has fallen further. A shame really, because it is THE best petrol hatch available in India right now, IMO. And this is the Jazz's second innings, so it's a definite that come next year and the Brio sedan, Honda India will be pulling the plug on the Jazz if the numbers don't improve. Between the Brio sedan and the Fit MPV, there will be no scope (nor space) for the Jazz in Honda India's future plans. Remember they said that they want to take Honda "mainstream" in India? The Jazz won't be fitting into those plans, I am afraid.
But I keep reading here on the forum that Honda is deliberately limiting the sales of the Jazz as it does not bring them much profit, and are focusing on the Brio instead. A shame, since it's a very well-engineered car, and should have been where the i20 is now, had Honda not messed up the initial pricing. It's simply one of the best cars one can buy under 10 lacs; not a third world product. I do hope Honda revives the Jazz in India when the new generation is ready.
Old 1st November 2012, 23:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the abysmal sales of Nissan, can be attributed to their recent differences in opinion between their distribution company and the dealers, as reported recently in almost all the business newspapers.
Its a shame to see the Evalia, an MPV with good sales potential, clocking in a measly 200 odd units wholesale, one month after its official launch.
Sister Renault seems to be breathing pretty hard down Nissan's neck!
The sooner Nissan gets its house in order, the better it is for them.

Bolero never ceases to amaze. 11k units in a month coming from a vehicle whose roots can be traced back to what was essentially the WW-II Jeep! Bolero is certainly not the epitome of performance, handling, NVH or ergonomics. Just shows that for our rural folks, durability, reliability, ruggedness and the ability to take on any terrain are still the prime purchase triggers.

Last edited by arjab : 1st November 2012 at 23:20. Reason: added lines
Old 1st November 2012, 23:24   #28
BHPian

Bang on time as always. Kudos to GTO.

Good to see that Maruti is back on track.

I am not happy with the way TATA is performing. I remember the days when I used to own a Safari and there used to be mobs in the showroom here in Aurangabad during Dassera/Diwali times. I was there today and there was hardly anyone there as compared to the old times. As rightly mentioned above, I feel TATA needs to re-engineer their market sustain phase in their respective product life cycles. There is a decent mix of products, something somewhere is not doing well.

I remember the time when my uncle had bought his Santro when it was launched. There were so many of us who told him that this was a simple waste of money. It served him well for the last 10 years and see where the company has gone today. Impressed on the Fluidic theme. Wondering when the fluidic Santa Fe gets launched, will it worry the Fortuner?

Thinking what went wrong at Toyota's end between March 2012 and this day. Is it the product lineup or the sales? Cant be the product lineup - you still have and will have die hard Toyota fans around across the range available.
Old 1st November 2012, 23:32   #29
BHPian

One question.

Why is the Spark placed in the A-segment? It has a 1000cc engine whereas the other cars in the A segment i.e. 800, Alto, Eon, Nano come with 800cc and 600cc(Nano) engines.
I think it should be placed in the same segment as the WagonR and the A-star i.e. B1.

Or is it that the segments are based on the prices?
Old 1st November 2012, 23:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

After D-segment sedans, it looks like it's the turn of C-segment sedans to struggle - except Verna, of course. There are probably two reasons for that - called Ertiga and Duster.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks