Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 23:35   #31
Team-BHP Support

Hi,

While the graphs are fantastic, what I really look forward is the quoted analysis below that usually accompanies the graphs. Would really love it if GTO's usual summary is hard wired as part of the monthly sales summary format. To me it's the charts plus the summary that total to 5 stars. With either one of these missing, it's only half the fun reading.

Please please do include the summary - I'm sure it's much anticipated by many readers.

QUOTE FROM SEPT 2012 REPORT
Movers & Shakers

A good month for the top 3 manufacturers! For the majority though, inventory levels at the dealer level are piling up & discounts are being fine-tuned by the day. In the hope of clearing up inventory, some car makers actually announced a price hike kicking in from 1st October. Cheap gimmick as we're still waiting for that supposed hike

Car makers have no option but to pin their hope on the upcoming festive season. Diesel prices went up by a whopping 5 - 6 Rupees / liter in September. It's hard to believe that the "cheap" fuel now costs as much as "expensive" petrol did in April 2010. Direct effect : A recovery in petrol-only cars like the WagonR, i10, Eeco etc. Interest rates are softening down too.

Dampened spirits at Skoda. The Rapid is such a well-priced all-rounded sedan with a fast, frugal diesel engine. It's not moving off showroom floors fast enough, despite having the potential to consistently do 3,000 a month, if not 4,000. Meanwhile, the Yeti has a bright moment, outselling even the Laura last month! The luxo-barge Superb maintains its position as the king of the D2-sedan segment.

The Fiat Linea hits a new low with a mere 59 units shipped. As always, the vintage Ambassador is the one paying HM's bills. The new Pajero Sport appears to have had a problem with supplies / imports.

UNQUOTE
Old 1st November 2012, 23:38   #32
BHPian

Re: October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Interesting to see Thar added to the list. 686 is quite a commendable number. Just wish M&M gives it more attention and offer options in the CRDE version. Is Quanto going through an identity crisis? I'm a hatch, no I'm an SUV!
Old 1st November 2012, 23:46   #33
BHPian

Interesting figures, Duster is giving Renault a huge boost. Surely time for others to take notice and reflect, especially VW and Skoda - no point having a brand without numbers.

XUV trailing Duster is a surprise, recent prices hikes takes it more and more out of the VFM category and the niggles must also have an impact. Also I think a lot of folks somehow do not want to be seen in a Mahindra, this is a bit snobbish and something Mahindra must overcome, but a pretty good month for them.

Duster itself has seen some hikes with more expected, if it loses the sweet spot there is a risk numbers will start falling, but until more alternatives show up they will probably push their luck.
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Figo & Ritz face lift is not well received by the market the sagging numbers say so.
Quite astounding to see the i20 climbing close to the 10K mark, meanwhile I am perplexed to see Jazz’s falling number ,even after the price cut and refresh, Honda could not revive this global icon.

Nissan Micra and Sunny seems to have lost over 50% MoM sales.

Duster seems to be the lone star in Renault’s arsenal and it is going strength to strength. I think it’s the right size SUV of the Indian crowed, Toyota should bring the Rav4 at a good price and tap the market. Yeti from 284 to 6 looks like most of the sales might have moved to Duster due to much lower pricing.

Interestingly Aria seems to be the only product having a +ve trend.
Toyota sedans are all in negative territory, especially Etios/Liva need a serious refresh now as sales are consistently down.

Fiat should shut shop and concentrate on supplying engines to all other players , that will bring them better return that my opinion.
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:47   #35
BHPian

Too fast and too good! Well that is a tradition that is really hard to maintain. Seems like Honda is now "if you want a petrol go to Honda" shop. Good for them, I see that this might yield them long term results. You do only one thing and you do that well. Not that there are no good competitors for the City (are there really, who?, whom would you suggest over a City?), but still the Brio and the City really pull some stings in the heart. TATA, well, they either need some JLR guys to teach them design or Hire MUL's sales and service practices. Its a confusing for a new car buyer, there are not clear leaders whom you can trust and buy in the 8 - 12 L range if you are in the market now. VW and Renault are still new to access their real commitment on products and service. Maruthi is not selling anything good in that segment. Hyundai ages so fast that my 2 wheeler feels fresh in comparison. I do not trust the XUV (my colleague just got the gear box changed in the 2nd month of ownership). Good cars are really 15+. Its really a confusing month.Three years ago when I made the decision to buy a petrol it was City with no doubt. But that kind of a comfort seems to be diminishing each month that I have been observing. The Sunny seemed a good choice (after GTO's ownership post), look at that now! The Manza is best not considered. Phew, each monthly report is throwing in surprises.
Old 2nd November 2012, 03:22   #36
BHPian

Kizashi gets its best ever sales figures in the past 6 months and nearly triples it's sales as compared to last month. Looks like the Rs. 5 lakh discount is getting a couple of dozen buyers for the car. Anybody know the new on-road price (average) post all discounts? Maybe Maruti has sweetened the deal further now for the existing stock now that they have announced the car will be imported against order only.
Old 2nd November 2012, 05:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Superb as usual.

GTO, looks like your interpretation makes it easier to understand the graphs and trends. Agree you might not have had enough time to put it in, but do consider it as a request.

Have been watching Fortuner sales. It never goes down, XUV came we thought it might create a dent, but no, looks like it created a segment of its own, possibly pulling numbers from others (like sedans). Lets see what Rexton and Storme do.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 06:38   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Superb as usual.

GTO, looks like your interpretation makes it easier to understand the graphs and trends. Agree you might not have had enough time to put it in, but do consider it as a request.

Have been watching Fortuner sales. It never goes down, XUV came we thought it might create a dent, but no, looks like it created a segment of its own, possibly pulling numbers from others (like sedans). Lets see what Rexton and Storme do.
Would have loved to read the expert commentary. The Analysis feels like eating idly without chutney or a Burger without the stuffing inside!

regarding yeti doing 6 numbers - there have been no dispatches from the Plant, and No stock there either to dispatch. probably because of the MY13 Models coming up and maybe also because of the change in sales strategy
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

As many people have already asked and said, I have only 4 points to ask for -

1) What might have suddenly happened to the Beat? The spark is not up either.
2) Who is buying all these Boleros? Is it the rural areas or the govt.?
3) Kudos to such a wonderful review. And to bring it bang on the 1st.
4) GTO, I'm another one begging for your insider analysis on the trends.
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

GTO you guys rock here at Tbhp. This was quick as i was anxiously waiting for this review.

I look at the SUV segment only as i was in the market for one a couple of months back.

Bolero! OMG this is one vehicle Mahindra got seriously lucky with. Nothing or only a bit has been changed over the years(Except the engine initially) and look at the sales. The guy who planned this should be Promoted with a years vacation!

Duster - Price Price Price is what Indian market respects and Renault got it right. Yes i dont have all the jazz which some promise but i will do all that others do and do it well. Amazing and kudos renault. You better service the customers well as this is the all your bread and better with 80% sales. Keep pushing this product and you may overthrow bolero maybe.

Alto - Maruti seriously...am really amazed. This is one workhorse and i feel the competitors have stopped trying to unseat the crown prince of the entry level cars. Worlds cheapest car couldnt unseat you too.

XUV - With all the complaints people may say but still this numbers will put a nissan, vw or honda to shame. Just imagine the numbers it would come up with if they were with zero defects!

Fortuner - Little biased as i have this giant baby at home. I thought the numbers will go down with XUV in the market but no. The storme or the rexton tried last month but no. It ate the captiva, crv, gv and endy for lunch and dinner. Though pricey it still maintains a regular number is awesome. Great going and keep up the markets you Gentle giant.

And final Thank you Govt of India and Govt of each and every state for maintaining the roads so well that SUV is a sensible choice for a family car.

And finally whats wrong with YETI? Beautiful product!
Old 2nd November 2012, 08:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77
By the way how does Fiat manage to keep its production line running for just 37 Lineas? And even more important, how does it pay its employees with that kind of numbers?
(On a lighter note, Fiat employees must have the easiest jobs in the Indian auto industry)
Linea and manza are made at the same plant.they share assembly lines too I guess.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:21   #42
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, sorry about the missing analysis this month. We're currently adding the final touches to an official review of a very important car, thus that's where all the energies are.

Just caught the numbers for a forgotten manufacturer. Surprisingly forgotten, because they've sold more cars than Nissan, Skoda, Fiat & HM last month!

Trip - 3
Trump 40 - 205
Trax (Goods) - 95
Trax (Pass) - 953
Traveller (Goods) - 75
Traveller (Pass) - 691
Traveller 26 (Pass) - 51
Citiline - 3
Traveller Shaktiman - 9
Force One SUV - 102

Also, here's the split for petrol & diesel from Toyota (unfortunately, no other manufacturer has shared the same):

Corolla: 107 (P) & 225 (D)
Etios: 529 (P) & 1,576 (D)
Liva: 282 (P) & 2,209 (D)

Last edited by GTO : 2nd November 2012 at 09:24.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:22   #43
Senior - BHPian

A very good update as usual.

Bolero is entirely rural India story. Just travel to rural areas and hilly areas to see how India moves in these areas. Government purchases also helping numbers.

Although XUV 5OO is maintaining a healthy 4k mark but the duster effect is likely to impact. Nov sales will clear more air with festival buying in the offing.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:28   #44
BHPian

More than the sales numbers I look forward for your description and summarisation GTO. Missing it this time.

Who are buying those Santros and Boleros?

Tata continues to behit bad. Carl Slym may have some tricks below his hat but how long we gotta wait to see them working?

Even at top end Innova nudging INR 18L OTR, this overpriced people mover sells in amazing numbers.

Fiat! I am a personal lover for it. Feeling really bad for this brand from Monica Belucci's land!

Duster going big guns! Righteosly? May be not.

500+ Petrol Etios! I am personally suffering for the poor mileage from this gas guzzler. Brave hearts I must say! Welcome to the club mates!

Ertiga.. Unbelievable. Suzuki is Midas!

Last edited by rangarx : 2nd November 2012 at 09:31.
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:35   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I am perplexed to see Jazz’s falling number ,even after the price cut and refresh, Honda could not revive this global icon.
It is Honda who has cut supplies as from what I read in ACI. Honda loses a lot in selling the Jazz with its current pricing, hence the restrain in supply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
2) Who is buying all these Boleros? Is it the rural areas or the govt.?
Bolero isn't a mystery for me. Come to my place & on an average 3-5 Bolero sells everyday (discounting commercial or load carrying ones)

And it sells in the hills. Am just back from Sikkim and all I see is Bolero. That Di engine is a mountain goat. It climbs hills like no other.

The older iteration, namely the Spacio was a moderate success, but Sumo Gold or Victa aren't even making their presence felt.

And I think the Bolero shall continue to rake in the numbers for few years to come.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed