Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:07   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Good to see the Thar finally make it into the report!! 650+ is a good number for a niche vehicle like the Thar

OT : I wonder which is the very important car for which official review is coming up!!
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:22   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, sorry about the missing analysis this month. We're currently adding the final touches to an official review of a very important car, thus that's where all the energies are.
So, the Alto800 review is on the way!

Thanks GTO, for the timely sales figures. A single thread - this monthly sales figure thread - itself gives Team-BHP enormous value among other auto mags and sites!

Quanto figures are much less than my expectation. Bolero sales are not affected by Quanto (it increased, actually) because of the fact that rural customers are more 'festival-driven', IMO. Let's wait for 2 more months to get a clear idea.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 2nd November 2012 at 10:32.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:26   #48
BHPian

The auto industry should gift a car to GTO for this wonderful analysis. I am sure the CEO's also watch out this space as much as we do at the start of the month.

XUV 500 nos. have slipped for one month in spite of the festival season. I have not followed this UV on this forum but M&M better keep its eyes and ears open to that blip.

I have contributed to the City nos. this month (thanks you very much ) but I am increasingly hearing great feedback from friends and family on Jazz as a VFM. But I agree @RavenAvi that the Brio Sedan will turn the tables on Jazz unfortunately.

I would have loved to see the Verna petrol nos. being stacked against the City but I guess GTO has already shared his helplessness in getting details from companies other than Toyota
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, here's the split for petrol & diesel from Toyota (unfortunately, no other manufacturer has shared the same):

Corolla: 107 (P) & 225 (D)
Etios: 529 (P) & 1,576 (D)
Liva: 282 (P) & 2,209 (D)
Its a shame that other manufacturers are not forthcoming on Diesel Vs Petrol split. Not sure what they have to hide here!!

I would really like the split between Petrol Vs Diesel Vs CNG/LPG variants. This would tell the entire story of Govt's skewed policy.
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:43   #50
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (such as Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Segment-wise points to note:

Segment#1 (B/B+)
Start of Chevrolet Sail U-VA's innings - hopefully the competition will get more intense in this B/B+ segment. Swift still the clear leader, followed by i20 - but domination by Maruti not absolute (50%+ share), as with the Dzire. Don't know for how long can cars with sales in the 1-2% range can sustain themselves.

Segment#2 (C)
Dzire the absolute leader with a 56% share and the Indigo range a far second. Awaiting Sail & Brio sedan eagerly to challenge the leader or atleast dilute the market share.

Segment#3 (C+)
Verna the clear leader, but City not far behind and commendable sales by Honda with only a petrol variant. Vento gaining some pace due to the pricing and variants rejig, but seems temporary. Sunny, Scala & Rapid steadily losing market share.

Segment#4 (A)
Alto the clear and absolute leader. Newly launched Alto 800 will further decimate the competition.

Segment#5 (A+/B)
Wagon R & i10 in a close fight. Hyundai taking the battle to Maruti in most segments.

Segment#6 (Soft roader / Mini-S/MUV)
Duster the clear leader with a first mover advantage in this new segment. Quanto, though cheaper, has half the sales of the Duster.

Segment#7 (Entry level MUV)
Bolero selling like no tomorrow. Can't really understand the sudden spike in sales this year. Commendable job by Mahindra to do better than its peer - Tata Motors, and selling more vehicles with presence mainly in M/SUV segment only.

Segment#8 (Mainstream M/SUV)
Ertiga the leader in the M/SUV segment with the larger Innova racking up numbers inspite of the Ertiga and Evalia. The pie seems to have grown bigger. Tata Motors needs a shake up.

Segment#9 (D)
Elantra continuing its dominant run, but the Cruze & Corolla fighting hard, though the older Corolla steadily losing market share. Again here the pie/market seems to have grown larger, as Laura, Jetta and Fluence continuing to sell similar number of cars each month, though with the Elantra their overall market share is steadily declining.

Segments#10&11 (D+ & Premium SUV)
Superb and Fortuner the clear leaders, with the Fortuner garnering 75% of the market share - just amazing to see a ladder frame chassis rule in a premium segment.

October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures-1.jpg

October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures-2.jpg

October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures-3.jpg

October 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Good that the Swift is back to selling 15k per month. Dzire is also selling 14K now. Since the Swift and Dzire are priced so closely, their sales numbers also are pretty close. Interesting thing is that the Dzire is a sedan while swift is a hatch. Does this indicate shift in Indian mentality against bias towards sedans?
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Five stars as always!!! Thanks GTO!!

Chevrolet continues to dip overall but atleast thanks to the jump in Spark the situation is not as bad it would have been. In fact the following report came out just today as well which highlights Chevrolets poor position

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle4054528.ece

Shocking figures for the Yeti and appears to have singularly done the most damage to Skoda in respect to their overall total.

Tata does not look too bad compared to Sept , in fact October was not their worst month in 2012 , that goes to June. Yes there is a dip but not to the levels of some of the others , however it does indicate a negative trend which might worsen as we move towards the end of the year.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:41   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
...Bolero isn't a mystery for me. Come to my place & on an average 3-5 Bolero sells everyday...

...And it sells in the hills. ...That Di engine is a mountain goat. It climbs hills like no other. ...
I can vouch for the DI Engine, having taken the car all over the Himalayas. That apart, the Bolero is frugal on diesel and cheap to run. Plus that suspension takes abuse amazingly well.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:47   #54

Any idea how many Safari Storme sold in October?

I believe they launched in select Markets of North.
Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:48   #55
BANNED

I think Tata is more than satisfied with the JLR revenues, and not much interested in introducing new products in Indian market to retain the no: 3 spot. What they are doing is some foolish facelifts and versions for Safari and Manza, just like Maruti done to Ritz, when a complete rear-lift was absolutely necessary! And the face-lifted Ritz's sales figures for October proves it. All others except Maruti know what Maruti has to do to Ritz!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 2nd November 2012 at 12:09.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
So, the Alto800 review is on the way!
Or is it Storme that is coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Segment#4 (A)
Alto the clear and absolute leader. Newly launched Alto 800 will further decimate the competition.
Thanks for the analysis.

Amazing to see that Maruti will remain no. 1 even if Alto is removed from its stable. Moreover, Alto sells almost as much as the 3rd largest manufacturer's entire passenger car sales! Alto would be No. 4 in list of manufacturers if it would have been a different company all together.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:05   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Or is it Storme that is coming?
For me (and many, I think), Storme is not "a very important car" to be officially reviewed (as GTO said). It's just a foolish makeup.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Surprised that I haven't noticed until today - the i20 has been consistently outselling the i10 for almost a year now! Wow, I wonder what the analysis on that is: is the i20 a vfm premium hatch or do people think the i10 is slightly overpriced. Or it could simply be the diesel effect. Hyundai should seriously consider a small Diesel engine for the i10.

Swift and Dzire doing well, as expected and the Alto keeping up the good work of the previous model, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun
For me (and many, I think), Storme is not "a very important car" to be officially reviewed (as GTO said). It's just a foolish makeup.
Wonder why then the Storme thread is consistently in the top current threads, and sooo many pages long already, with a serious spurt since launch.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98
Duster is selling 1100 units more than the venerable XUV5OO! I am quite surprised by this as XUV offers a lot more for a slightly higher price. I guess more than SUVs, people want SUV-styled cars, even if those don't offer all the benefits for which people choose SUVs in the first place.
This is likely because the demand & supply has plateaued for XUV as it is more than an year old but duster is the new kid in the block with production still not being able to meet the initial demand. Figures six month down the lane will give a clearer picture
motorhead1981 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Thinking what went wrong at Toyota's end between March 2012 and this day. Is it the product lineup or the sales? Cant be the product lineup - you still have and will have die hard Toyota fans around across the range available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Toyota sedans are all in negative territory, especially Etios/Liva need a serious refresh now as sales are consistently down.
Toyota definitely didn't have a bad month as compared to let's say Ford or GM. While Innova is holding (expected), surprising to see Liva gain significantly by 37%. Die-hard Toyota fans maybe, because Toyota didn't offer any goodies/discount for their diesel cars even during this festive season.

Toyota's total surge of 14% in sales have come from basically Innova and Liva.

While Etios sales are down (that is true for almost every sedan in the segment), the Liva has probably picked up from Figo, Beat and Ritz going by the numbers of these three.

It will be interesting to watch this segment once Sail is launched. Liva vs Figo vs Beat vs Ritz vs Sail UV-A. Great quarter-final league table games to look forward to for another one year or so.

Really feel bad for Fiat that they are gradually becoming an engine manufacturing company in India. :(

Last edited by subratasenn : 2nd November 2012 at 12:50. Reason: Typo
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks