Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 15:46   #61
BANNED

Re: Ritz AT unveiled on Maruti website

I have done over 1100km in my Brio AT. I found the lag very similar but more pronounced than in my Civic. So maybe I am conditioned to it. I am normally gentle with my right foot, so the lag does not show up that much. Silky smooth shifts. As for more frequent shifts a lot is due to the low torque at low rpm. With gentle driving the AT does not seem to be keen to go above 2000rpm in town. I find the Eco light glowing for too large a fraction of time (software should be more aggressive), and I am no competitor for the kpl sweepstakes.
Old 11th December 2012, 15:55   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Why would anyone get the Ritz with a 4speed AT setup for 6L+ when the Brio with a 5 speed autobox comes cheaper?
I'm not sure how would an additional gear matter as AT cars are generally driven in the City where even 4th ratio becomes active only at around 60kmph, which again happens occasionally unless u drive in the early morning or late nights. Brio AT with its low seats, glass rear, difficult ingress/egress in rear seat and an exorbitant price of 7.5l definitely loses out to i10. The only competition to i10 would be from Ritz if it is priced competitively.
Old 12th December 2012, 10:02   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
So the old 3 plus OD is hiding in a new gate.
Sir I know very little about gear boxes but most cars have an overdrive.

In my limited view an overdrive is basically a gear that allows a car to cruise at sustained speed at a reduced rpm (better FE, less wear and tear, etc.).

From what I remember of the old days (read as 70s and early 80s) the overdrive was added to an existing 3 speed but today (read as 1990 onwards) most transmissions have all gears (including overdrive) integrated. I think we can safely assume that all modern cars with 4 forward gears would have an "overdrive" gear or "top" gear inetegrated and not some nolt on attachement. In fact my car (2012 Camry) I believe has an electronic overdrive which probably means the ECU controls the speed of the engine relative to load and acceleration required.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 16:37   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
6.3L ex-showroom is an unbelievable price. I would assume the author meant 6.3L on-road [even though he explicitly mentions ex-showroom]. There are conflicting reports on the pricing, and I guess none can be sure until we hear from the horses mouth. This report from indiacarsandbikes.in pegs the ex-showroom at 5.5L, which seems more believable.
A Physically handicapped colleague of mine is on the lookout for a car and during the conversation i told him about the Ritz AT, some quick calls to the dealers got us a price quote of 6.93 Lakhs OTR with Delhi registration, no real discounts indicated on telephone sighting new model as the reason.

6.93 Lakhs seems a little too high for this vehicle, i would have personally gone in for the vehicle for my father had it been priced a tad lower at a max of about 6.5 Lakhs. Oh well !! I guess i would need to wait till the discounts start pouring in on this Ritz too !!
Prodigyy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2012, 19:37   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
A Physically handicapped colleague of mine is on the lookout for a car and during the conversation i told him about the Ritz AT, some quick calls to the dealers got us a price quote of 6.93 Lakhs OTR with Delhi registration, no real discounts indicated on telephone sighting new model as the reason.

6.93 Lakhs seems a little too high for this vehicle, i would have personally gone in for the vehicle for my father had it been priced a tad lower at a max of about 6.5 Lakhs. Oh well !! I guess i would need to wait till the discounts start pouring in on this Ritz too !!
I was at a Maruti showroom earlier today as well. They still do not have the pricing guidance for the Ritz AT. I did speak just to a entry level SA and no higher ups. Would still suggest let's wait for the official release. I dont find any reason for it to exhorbitnantly priced
Old 27th December 2012, 14:01   #66

Ritz AT price announced on Maruti website -

Metallic: 629932.03 Ex-showroom in B'lore

Nearly 1.3 Lakhs premium over its MT counterpart (Vxi ABS @ 501043)
Old 27th December 2012, 15:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

As per Zigwheels, Maruti Suzuki Ritz Automatic are announced @ Rs.6.15 lacs, ex-showroom Delhi. They are claiming mileage of 17.16 kmpl on petrol for the car.

Here is the link to Zigwheels article on same:

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...nounced/15233/
Old 27th December 2012, 17:17   #68
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has outdone their previous efforts on strange pricing of AT variants, which they did in DZire. They haven't mentioned if this price includes atleast ABS, which they've mentioned as Optional for AT in the Ritz feature list. Even with ABS, Dzire costs 'only' 125000 over the MT variant. I've no idea what makes the Ritz AT so special to command 1.5 Lakhs over the MT variant!

Difference between MT and AT Variants:
AStar: 51,000
DZire: 1,25,000
Ritz: 1,52,000

Doesn't all these AT cars have the same 4-speed gearbox or are they different?
Old 27th December 2012, 17:28   #69
BHPian

Just saw a poll on LinkedIn sponsored by Ritz (Maruti). The poll was about what is 'joy of life' according to you when you step inside a car (or something to that effect). The options were Automatic Transmission, Tall boy design, Dual tone interiors and one more which I cant recollect.

Surprisingly, the poll results are overwhelmingly in favor of AT. Talk about market maturing!
Old 27th December 2012, 19:09   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2_4_u View Post
Ritz AT price announced on Maruti website -

Metallic: 629932.03 Ex-showroom in B'lore

Nearly 1.3 Lakhs premium over its MT counterpart (Vxi ABS @ 501043)
That's 17K more than the Honda Brio top end V AT!!! The Brio has alloys and airbags along with a 5 speed transmission.

What is Maruti smoking?? The A-star is the most sensible AT option thanks to the price and here they launch the Ritz with the silliest pricing ever.
Old 27th December 2012, 19:11   #71
Senior - BHPian

Just checked the Ritz website. Never knew ABS was standard with L variants and Optional on V variants! Thats still probably forgivable but what about the Opt(S-AT). Brio influence? Brio has an S(Opt)-AT version but what has that got to do on Ritz website?

Don't they review the changes before publishing them on the website? I've never seen so many mistakes in a single screen on any other official website! So much for Quality control

Ritz AT unveiled on Maruti website-ritz.png

Source: www.marutisuzukiritz.com

The vertical scroll doesn't seem to work for me. So not sure about the content below what we see.

I knew I'll run out of smileys for this post!

Last edited by zenren : 27th December 2012 at 19:18.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 19:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

The price differential is too much for Maruti to justify.
Agreed , all auto box'es in India are imported and the volume - price -yen depreciation and all the thingamajig calculations tend to push AT model prices higher - but this is way off the mark.

Frankly speaking a BRIO Auto is better placed in terms of economy, reliability and I'm sure driveability too. The 4-speed Maruti slush-boxes are exactly not the pinnacle of auto'box technology too. Also the BRIO's packaging is simply brilliant and legspace would be within a few centimeters of the Ritz.
Compared to these prices, in fact, suddenly a well maintained, pre-worshipped Honda City looks like a good deal !

But of course, we are forgetting: the pricing may have been done to factor in future discounts, so that when the discounts start biting within the next four months the price of Ritz AT will be actually what Maruti intended it to be !
Old 27th December 2012, 20:42   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
but what about the Opt(S-AT). Brio influence? Brio has an S(Opt)-AT version but what has that got to do on Ritz website?
That's a hilarious way of putting things! But, mistakes and errors apart, Maruti means "Standard - Automatic Transmission" by S-AT.

More seriously, in Delhi, Maruti asks Rs. 6,15,050.56 for the Ritz AT, which is Rs. 1,51,813.3 more than the non- ABS VXi priced at Rs. 4,63,237.26. The margin is 32.77% over the VXi. The other 1.2 petrol AT offering from MUL, the Dzire, has the AT version priced at Rs. 1,24,623.51 / 22.86% premium over the regular VXi. So, % wise, the 6.15L figure doesn't make sense, but take the 1.51 - 1.24 figure, then it is somewhat a more acceptable proposition.

In contrast, Honda asks around 70,000 more for the Brio A/T over M/T versions, or slightly over 13%.

All said, I would pay Rs. 16,000 more for a Ritz AXi AT than spend 5.99L for a Brio V-AT. I feel it is a far better car than the Brio which makes me feel like I'm in one of those 1st generation Citys, or an original Logan.

Last edited by Yeldo : 27th December 2012 at 20:50.
Old 27th December 2012, 20:52   #74
Senior - BHPian

I think Maruti is not expecting volumes on this car. It is a niche car for India and people who want to buy a small A/T car from Maruti stable will not have a lot of choice and the guess would be they are happy to pay the higher price.

Also, wait for discounts on the Ritz A/T soon when they start sitting on the dealer lots.
Old 27th December 2012, 22:57   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
I think Maruti is not expecting volumes on this car. It is a niche car for India and people who want to buy a small A/T car from Maruti stable will not have a lot of choice and the guess would be they are happy to pay the higher price.

Also, wait for discounts on the Ritz A/T soon when they start sitting on the dealer lots.
If they want to address a niche market, they would have got in A/T on Swift and Alto. They have got in A/T only on A-Star and Ritz which are not easily moving from the showrooms floors. They are trying different ways to market these brands, as those who want A/T don't have much choice.

Most Viewed